|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does David feel after his conversation with Giovanni?
2. How does Giovanni feel about Hella?
3. When Jacques is first attracted to Giovanni, what does David do?
4. How does Ellen act when company is present?
5. How Madame Clothilde greet Giovanni when she sees him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Giovanni admit, regarding his relationship with Guillaume?
2. Why is David ashamed to be seen with Jacques and Guillaume?
3. Where is David's girlfriend when he meets Giovanni for the first time?
4. How does Giovanni die?
5. What does the landlady review before allowing David to leave his rented apartment?
6. What judgment does Giovanni have for the country of France?
7. What is the state of David's relationship with Hella when he meets Giovanni?
8. Why is Jacques concerned about Guillaume's love life?
9. Why is David reluctant to reveal his attraction to Giovanni?
10. After David's first encounter with Giovanni, why does he attempt to dismiss its importance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After moving to Paris, David is not opposed to having homosexual friends or visiting homosexual bars, yet he will not admit to his true sexual preference. Examine this dichotomy in David's behavior, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
David has a confusing relationship with Hella. Although he believes he feels love for her, he knows the relationship has no future. Analyze the various obstacles David and Hella would have to overcome in order to share an intimate, loving relationship.
Essay Topic 3
When Hella returns, she becomes suspicious of the relationship between David and Giovanni.
1) When does Hella first meet Giovanni?
2) Why is she suspicious of the relationship?
3) What confirms her suspicions?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)