|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Giovanni respect about women?
2. At the thought of Hella's return, how does David feel?
3. What does David plan to do when Hella returns from Spain?
4. How does Jacques feel about David's conversation with Giovanni?
5. What does David crash into while driving drunk?
Short Essay Questions
1. When David and Joey are swimming together, what is David's first hint that Joey may be attracted to him as well?
2. Why is Giovanni's situation so difficult when David leaves?
3. Why does Giovanni smash a cognac glass in Part Two: Chapter Three?
4. What judgment does Giovanni have for the country of France?
5. What does Giovanni admit, regarding his relationship with Guillaume?
6. When David became injured from driving drunk, how did his father react?
7. Why does Giovanni make fun of the idea of David "hurting his feelings"?
8. In what ways is Giovanni's room isolated?
9. What does Guillaume attempt to do prior to firing Giovanni?
10. What shocking news does David hear regarding Guillaume?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Giovanni is an enigmatic character who meets an unfortunate end. Write a brief essay analyzing how Giovanni helped change David.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout his childhood, David struggled to gain control over his masculinity.
1) When does David first begin to struggle with his masculinity?
2) What actions does he take in an effort to be more masculine?
3) Do these efforts pay off? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Youth is a predominate theme in Giovanni's Room. When David seems hesitant to begin a relationship with Giovanni, Jacques encourages him to live his life instead of letting it pass him by. Write an essay examining the idea of youth as a motivation for romance, citing examples from the text.
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)