|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Giovanni from?
2. Looking back, why does David think he chose to move to Europe?
3. Who notices the interaction between Giovanni and David?
4. Hella is the only woman David really what?
5. Who refuses to help Giovanni when he needs it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Now that David has begun a homosexual relationship, how does he feel about his decision?
2. What does Jacques think of Giovanni, upon first meeting him?
3. When David and Joey are swimming together, what is David's first hint that Joey may be attracted to him as well?
4. When David became injured from driving drunk, how did his father react?
5. When David tells Hella he loves her, what about the statement rings false?
6. Why does David move in with Giovanni?
7. As David's love grows for Giovanni, what surprising emotion grows as well?
8. In regards to Hella, what do David and Giovanni discuss prior to her return?
9. What is Giovanni's opinion of the physical relationship he shared with Guillaume?
10. Why is Jacques concerned about Guillaume's love life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze one of the following relationships, citing examples from the text.
1) Giovanni and Guillaume.
2) Giovanni and David.
3) David and Hella.
Essay Topic 2
David has a confusing relationship with Hella. Although he believes he feels love for her, he knows the relationship has no future. Analyze the various obstacles David and Hella would have to overcome in order to share an intimate, loving relationship.
Essay Topic 3
Youth is a predominate theme in Giovanni's Room. When David seems hesitant to begin a relationship with Giovanni, Jacques encourages him to live his life instead of letting it pass him by. Write an essay examining the idea of youth as a motivation for romance, citing examples from the text.
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)