|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the picture of David's mother kept?
2. How does David feel after his conversation with Giovanni?
3. When does David meet Giovanni?
4. Why does David want to keep Hella from finding out about Giovanni?
5. Jacques believes Giullaume's love life to be what?
Short Essay Questions
1. After sleeping with Joey, what does David resolve regarding his sexual orientation?
2. What does Jacques think of Giovanni, upon first meeting him?
3. What judgment does Giovanni have for the country of France?
4. What does Giovanni say in an attempt to sabotage the relationship with Hella?
5. After David's first encounter with Giovanni, why does he attempt to dismiss its importance?
6. David decides that he will do what, when Hella returns?
7. When David tells Hella he loves her, what about the statement rings false?
8. What does Giovanni think about the relationship with Hella?
9. What details does David remember about his Aunt Ellen's appearance?
10. What is Giovanni's opinion of the physical relationship he shared with Guillaume?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Youth is a predominate theme in Giovanni's Room. When David seems hesitant to begin a relationship with Giovanni, Jacques encourages him to live his life instead of letting it pass him by. Write an essay examining the idea of youth as a motivation for romance, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
David tries to pretend his first sexual encounter with a man was with Giovanni. In truth, David had a homosexual experience at a young age. Describe David's first homosexual encounter.
1) When and where did the encounter take place?
2) Who was involved?
3) How did this experience affect David?
Essay Topic 3
There is a certain isolation that takes place when Giovanni and David begin seeing each other.
1) How do the two men interact with others after they become involved?
2) How does Giovanni's room contribute to this isolation?
3) How do the men feel about this isolation?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)