|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Giovanni have a happy relationship with, prior to David?
(a) A sailor.
(b) An Italian woman.
(d) A French woman.
2. Where does David meet Hella when she comes back to town?
(a) Hella's house.
(b) The train station.
(c) His old apartment.
(d) A park bench.
3. What does David attempt to avoid discussing with Hella?
(a) Their past.
(b) HIs parents.
(c) Their future.
(d) Her trip.
4. Why is Giovanni home from work after David's affair with Sue?
(a) He got fired.
(b) He quit his job.
(c) He is scared to go outside.
(d) He was worried about David's whereabouts.
5. What does David avoid telling his father?
(a) His relationship with Giovanni.
(b) His engagement to Hella.
(c) All of these.
(d) His financial situation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hella want out of life?
2. Why does Giovanni refuse to pick up mail with David?
3. What does David think of Americans, in comparison to the French?
4. How long does David spend away from Giovanni when Hella first arrives?
5. When pressed, David tells Hella what about his relationship with Giovanni?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hella question David about his relationship with Giovanni?
2. What does Giovanni say will happen to him, if he and David are separated and why?
3. Why is Giovanni home when David returns from his tryst with Sue?
4. What does David believe about the murder?
5. When Hella arrives, what does David do to Giovanni?
6. Who do Hella and David run into at a bookstore?
7. Why does Giovanni smash a cognac glass in Part Two: Chapter Three?
8. What does David notice about the American men at American Express?
9. Why does David contemplate suicide?
10. Why is Giovanni's situation so difficult when David leaves?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)