|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the murder of Guillaume big news?
(a) The neighborhood was formerly crime-free.
(b) His ancestors were important.
(c) It was the third murder at that bar.
(d) It was so gruesome.
2. Why is Hella returning to Paris?
(a) David has proposed to her.
(b) She misses her family.
(c) She is out of money.
(d) She is suspicious of David.
3. Upon seeing Hella again, David pretends not to know what?
(a) The date.
(b) Her name.
(c) What time it is.
(d) If they are engaged.
4. When David returns from his affair with Sue, what is Giovanni drinking?
5. According to her letter, Hella will visit what city prior to returning to Paris?
6. Why does Giovanni refuse to pick up mail with David?
(a) He does not like the long walk.
(b) There are too many Americans present.
(c) He does not want to pay David's mail bill.
(d) Giovanni sleeps during the day.
7. David thought about suicide when he was younger, but for what purpose?
8. How does David proposition Sue?
(a) He asks her to a movie.
(b) He asks to drink at her place.
(c) He invites her to the bar.
(d) He invites her to dinner.
9. What begins to seem unclean to David?
(a) His house.
(b) Hella's breath.
(c) His body.
(d) Hella's undergarments.
10. What does David criticize about Giovanni?
(a) His ambition.
(b) His family.
(c) His room.
(d) His accent.
11. The French news claims what is lost with Guillaume's murder?
(a) French history.
(b) Respect for humanity.
(c) A great bar.
(d) A brilliant mind.
12. What bothers David about the interaction with Sue?
(a) He is not attracted to her.
(b) It is dishonest.
(c) Giovanni hears about it.
(d) She reminds him of Hella.
13. What affliction does David begin to suffer from, once Giovanni is in prison?
14. Where does Hella ask many questions about Giovanni?
(a) In bed.
(b) At the dinner table.
(c) On walks.
(d) On long drives.
15. How does David feel about Paris?
(a) He knows he does not belong.
(b) He hates it.
(c) He thinks it is filthy.
(d) He loves it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Giovanni plead as his motive?
2. Why is Giovanni's face puffy when David goes to see him?
3. After David and Giovanni share their first sexual encounter, why does David stay?
4. Why does David begin contemplating suicide?
5. When Giovanni insults him, how does David feel?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)