|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Fonsia and Weller, what does the Home lack more than anything else?
(a) Decent conversation.
(d) Sufficient staff.
2. What does the family of Gladys Maye do to Weller that annoys him?
(a) Uses him as an example of a content retiree.
(b) Uses him an example of a possible 'play mate.'
(c) Uses him as an example of a well-fed tenant.
(d) Uses him as an example of a possible suitor.
3. What does Weller refer to as "dumb Gin"?
(b) Collecting royal straights.
(c) Holding face cards too long.
(d) Collecting only straights.
4. What kept Weller from relocating with his family?
(a) The court.
(b) His parents.
(d) His new wife.
5. What is Weller's last name?
6. What is the first move of the gin game?
(a) The player discards one card.
(b) The dealer discards one card.
(c) The dealer turns over a card from the stack.
(d) The player randomly selects a card from the stack.
7. Where does Fonsia's sister live?
8. Weller draws what insult from the following statement by Fonsia: "I can't help it"?
(a) That he doesn't know how to play gin.
(b) That she is taking pity on him.
(c) That he can't beat a woman.
(d) That she thinks he is destined to lose against her.
9. How is the first game of gin won in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) By receiving the perfect hand.
(b) By knocking.
(c) By passing.
(d) By drawing the card she needed on the first draw.
10. What is Fonsia's son's name?
11. Weller cheats in the first hand by doing what?
(a) Looking at Fonsia's cards.
(b) Discarding a point card.
(c) Reshuffling the hand.
(d) Dealing her an extra card.
12. What scoring system does Weller employ in scoring gin?
(a) The Hollywood basis.
(b) The Omaha method.
(c) The English basis.
(d) The Kansis Style.
13. What does Weller decide to call Fonsia?
(a) By her nickname.
(b) By his own nickname.
(c) By her proper name.
(d) By whatever name comes to mind first.
14. How old is Fonsia's oldest grandchild?
15. What is it in Act 1, Scene 2 that makes Fonsia dizzy?
(a) Lack of sleep.
(b) Her winning streak.
(d) The hot weather.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Fonsia's husband?
2. How long has Fonsia been at the home?
3. Where does Fonsia's son live?
4. How many cards are dealt to the player (non-dealer)?
5. What is the score of the first hand played?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)