|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the second hand of the second game won in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) By Weller, who receives a perfect hand.
(b) By Fonsia, who knocks to win.
(c) By Weller, who wins in three rounds.
(d) By Fonsia, who receives a perfect hand.
2. What is Weller using as a makeshift ashtray at the opening of the play?
(a) The lid of a biscuit tin.
(b) A hub cap.
(c) The side of the porch.
(d) An old shoe.
3. How many points does Weller post in the first game in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. How was Fonsia raised?
(a) As an 'old time Methodist.'
(b) As an Orthodox Jew.
(c) As a 'stoic Presbyterian.'
(d) As a Southern Baptist.
5. What is Fonsia's nickname?
6. Where does Fonsia's sister live?
7. What is the dietitian's name?
(a) Mr. Jameson.
(b) Mrs. Gibran.
(c) Mr. Jabon.
(d) Ms. Cameron.
8. What does the family of Gladys Maye do to Weller that annoys him?
(a) Uses him an example of a possible 'play mate.'
(b) Uses him as an example of a well-fed tenant.
(c) Uses him as an example of a content retiree.
(d) Uses him as an example of a possible suitor.
9. How long has Fonsia been at the home?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Three days.
(c) Four weeks.
(d) Two weeks.
10. Fonsia claims that her mother would have killed her for playing cards. Why is that?
(a) Fonsia's mother considered card playing a man's game, and would have looked down upon it.
(b) Fonsia's mother considered card playing gambling, and would have looked down upon it.
(c) Fonsia's mother considered card playing below their station, and would have looked down upon it.
(d) Fonsia's mother considered card playing a sin, and would have looked down upon it.
11. How did Fonsia get over the 'spells' she had after her divorce?
(b) Crying fits.
(d) The demands of raising her family.
12. How does the Home, according to Weller, promote the theft of tenants' goods?
(a) By not providing safes.
(b) By not paying well enough.
(c) By understaffing.
(d) By not making theft a firing offense.
13. What is the first move of the gin game?
(a) The dealer turns over a card from the stack.
(b) The player discards one card.
(c) The dealer discards one card.
(d) The player randomly selects a card from the stack.
14. As Weller begins losing his temper, he begins yelling. He also begins doing what?
(a) Making bigoted remarks.
(b) Kicking the furniture.
(c) Holding his chest.
15. What mistake does Weller make in the card game at the end of Act 1?
(a) Of calling out gin before his hand is completed.
(b) Of discarding a card he know Fonsia needs.
(c) Of calling out the cards he needs.
(d) Of discarding a card he needs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the home?
2. What is 'reassuring' to Weller?
3. Weller cheats in the first hand by doing what?
4. How old is Fonsia's son?
5. What home does Fonsia wish to go to?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)