|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the start of the first hand in Act 1, Scene 2, Fonsia claims gin has what effect on her?
(a) An assuring effect.
(b) A relaxing effect.
(c) A stressful effect.
(d) A motivating effect.
2. What mistake does Weller make in the card game at the end of Act 1?
(a) Of calling out gin before his hand is completed.
(b) Of discarding a card he know Fonsia needs.
(c) Of discarding a card he needs.
(d) Of calling out the cards he needs.
3. What dish do Weller and Fonsia complain of knowing of no one who likes it?
(a) Stewed tomatoes.
(b) Boiled spinach.
(c) Creamed corn.
(d) Celery root.
4. In Act 1, Scene 2, Weller explains how he started enjoying playing gin earlier in life. What context did he play in?
(a) As a businessman on business trips.
(b) As a father.
(c) As a traveling salesman.
(d) As a business partner.
5. How many points do Fonsia and Weller play to in their first game?
(a) 200 points.
(b) 150 points.
(c) 100 points.
(d) 50 point.
6. How many cards are dealt to the player (non-dealer)?
7. Who is the luckiest person Weller has ever seen play gin?
(a) His son.
(d) His ex-wife.
8. What mistake does Fonsia make in the first hand of the first game that spoils the round?
(a) Fonsia lays her cards up face first.
(b) Fonsia tells Weller she has all four aces.
(c) Fonsia calls gin without discarding.
(d) Fonsia lays down a pair without having gin.
9. What is the name of Fonsia's youngest grandchild?
10. According to Fonsia, the staff never offers her 'her' medicine, but instead patronizingly does what?
(a) Offers "her" medicine.
(b) Offers "Honey's" medicine.
(c) Offers"yummy" medicine.
(d) Offers "our" medicine.
11. Weller describes what as being the worst feeling of his life?
(a) His divorce proceedings.
(b) His losing streak.
(c) His first week in the Home.
(d) A kind of panic attack.
12. What comment does Fonsia make regarding Gladys Maye?
(a) That she is deaf.
(b) That she is bored.
(c) That she is suicidal.
(d) That she is too thin and doesn't eat enough.
13. How old is Fonsia's oldest grandchild?
14. When Weller suggests that Fonsia check with her doctor and not a welfare quack, what does she snap back at him?
(a) That her doctor is the best money can buy.
(b) That she is not on welfare.
(c) That there is nothing wrong with welfare doctors.
(d) That she can take care of herself.
15. How old is Fonsia's son?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Fonsia's youngest grandchild?
2. How many cards are dealt to the dealer in the gin game?
3. What happened to Fonsia's husband?
4. How could Weller's statement that 'Gin is a relaxing game,' bear out in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. What illness does Fonsia have that requires constant care?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)