|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Weller, how can you get more Hollywoods traveling West?
(a) Because of the number of stops.
(b) Because you get one more Hollywood in LA.
(c) Because of headwinds.
(d) Because there are always more people going that direction.
2. What dish do Weller and Fonsia complain of knowing of no one who likes it?
(a) Boiled spinach.
(b) Creamed corn.
(c) Stewed tomatoes.
(d) Celery root.
3. What is 'reassuring' to Weller?
(a) That Fonsia isn't even trying.
(b) That Fonsia is getting a big head.
(c) That Fonsia is carrying high cards.
(d) That Fonsia isn't happy about winning.
4. When Weller suggests that Fonsia check with her doctor and not a welfare quack, what does she snap back at him?
(a) That there is nothing wrong with welfare doctors.
(b) That she can take care of herself.
(c) That she is not on welfare.
(d) That her doctor is the best money can buy.
5. How does the Home, according to Weller, promote the theft of tenants' goods?
(a) By not making theft a firing offense.
(b) By not paying well enough.
(c) By not providing safes.
(d) By understaffing.
6. Weller's temper raises what concern for Fonsia?
(a) That Weller will strike her.
(b) That Weller will have a stroke.
(c) That Weller will start to curse.
(d) That Weller will begin breaking things.
7. According to Weller, what is the one sin in card playing?
(a) Playing with joker's wild.
(b) Betting on the draw.
(c) Drawing to an inside straight.
(d) Discarding the ace of spades.
8. What does Fonsia use the pillow for?
(a) To swat at Weller with.
(b) To sit on.
(c) To prop up her back.
(d) To sort her cards on.
9. What is the name of the home?
10. What is Weller's complaint about the family of Gladys Maye?
(a) They're too puritanical.
(b) They're too large.
(c) They're too stingy.
(d) They're too loud.
11. What illness does Fonsia have that requires constant care?
(b) Lung Cancer.
12. What does the family of Gladys Maye do to Weller that annoys him?
(a) Uses him as an example of a possible suitor.
(b) Uses him as an example of a well-fed tenant.
(c) Uses him an example of a possible 'play mate.'
(d) Uses him as an example of a content retiree.
13. What is the name of Fonsia's oldest grandchild?
(b) Larry Jr.
14. Fonsia wins the first gin game by doing what?
(a) By being dealt the perfect hand and calling gin immediately.
(b) By trapping Weller with high cards and knocking.
(c) By calling gin and leaving the hand open, and having nothing to discard.
(d) By picking up Weller's discarded Jack and calling gin.
15. As Weller begins losing his temper, he begins yelling. He also begins doing what?
(b) Making bigoted remarks.
(c) Holding his chest.
(d) Kicking the furniture.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Weller think drives the management of the Home to provide entertainment?
2. What mistake does Fonsia make in the first hand of the first game that spoils the round?
3. While Weller's face is turning red in frustration, what is Fonsia doing?
4. What happened to Fonsia's husband?
5. Weller cheats in the first hand by doing what?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)