|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How could Weller's statement that 'Gin is a relaxing game,' bear out in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) For Fonsia only.
(b) In direct contrast to the action.
(c) Perfectly in this scene, but none of the later scenes.
(d) Conforming to the action.
2. What does Weller think drives the management of the Home to provide entertainment?
(a) That without entertainment the tenants would 'revolt.'
(b) That without entertainment the tenants would 'find some other dive to die in.'
(c) That without entertainment the tenants would 'drop dead... en masse.'
(d) That without entertainment the tenants would 'turn them in for their cooking.'
3. Why does Fonsia think Weller might have gone crazy?
(a) Because he was watching the TV.
(b) Because it appeared he was hiding behind the couch.
(c) Because it appeared he was singing happy birthday to no one in particular.
(d) Because he was dressed so badly.
4. How many kids does Weller have?
(a) 4 children.
(b) 3 children.
(c) 1 child.
(d) 2 children.
5. What is it in Act 1, Scene 2 that makes Fonsia dizzy?
(a) The hot weather.
(c) Her winning streak.
(d) Lack of sleep.
6. What scoring system does Weller employ in scoring gin?
(a) The Hollywood basis.
(b) The English basis.
(c) The Kansis Style.
(d) The Omaha method.
7. Fonsia wins the first gin game by doing what?
(a) By picking up Weller's discarded Jack and calling gin.
(b) By being dealt the perfect hand and calling gin immediately.
(c) By calling gin and leaving the hand open, and having nothing to discard.
(d) By trapping Weller with high cards and knocking.
8. In Act 1, Scene 2, what does Weller attribute the winning streak to?
(a) To his own chivalry.
(b) Ladies luck.
(c) An incredible run of luck.
(d) To Fonsia 'sand bagging' her skill.
9. What mistake does Weller make in the card game at the end of Act 1?
(a) Of discarding a card he know Fonsia needs.
(b) Of calling out the cards he needs.
(c) Of discarding a card he needs.
(d) Of calling out gin before his hand is completed.
10. How old is Fonsia's oldest grandchild?
11. According to Weller, what is the one sin in card playing?
(a) Discarding the ace of spades.
(b) Playing with joker's wild.
(c) Drawing to an inside straight.
(d) Betting on the draw.
12. How large are the rooms at the home, according to Fonsia?
(a) 10 foot by 15 foot shoe boxes.
(b) 12 foot by 12 foot cubes.
(c) 8 foot by 8 foot closets.
(d) 10 foot square boxes.
13. What day does Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
(a) 3 days after the day of the first scene.
(b) 1 day after the day of the first scene.
(c) 1 week after the day of the first scene.
(d) 1 month after the day of the first scene.
14. As Weller begins losing his temper, he begins yelling. He also begins doing what?
(a) Holding his chest.
(b) Kicking the furniture.
(c) Making bigoted remarks.
15. What is a 'leg' considered in scoring gin?
(a) The difference between the dealer's score and the leader's score.
(b) The difference between the score winning the game and the score of the next highest player.
(c) The difference between the winner's score and the other player's score.
(d) The carryover of points from one game to the next.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Fonsia's nickname?
2. Weller draws what insult from the following statement by Fonsia: "I can't help it"?
3. Who is the luckiest person Weller has ever seen play gin?
4. Where does Fonsia's sister live?
5. What is the dietitian's name?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)