|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In this game of gin, what is 'knocking'?
(a) Knocking allows a player to pick up a discarded card.
(b) Knocking is an alternate way of winning based on who has the fewest unmatched points in their hand.
(c) Knocking is a rule only the dealer can invoke requiring the player to discard two cards.
(d) Knocking is allowed once a game and is a pass on drawing a card.
2. Where does Fonsia's son live?
3. What does Weller refer to as "dumb Gin"?
(b) Collecting only straights.
(c) Holding face cards too long.
(d) Collecting royal straights.
4. How many kids does Weller have?
(a) 1 child.
(b) 4 children.
(c) 3 children.
(d) 2 children.
5. What comment does Fonsia make regarding Gladys Maye?
(a) That she is suicidal.
(b) That she is deaf.
(c) That she is too thin and doesn't eat enough.
(d) That she is bored.
6. What is Weller's reaction to the televangelist?
(a) He gives him the finger.
(b) He prays.
(c) He dismisses him with a wave.
(d) He laughs.
7. What three cards does Weller need to win at the end of Act 1?
(a) Only the 7of Clubs.
(b) Any 5, any 6, or the 7 of Clubs.
(c) Any 2 or the King of Clubs.
(d) Any ace.
8. What is the score of the first hand played?
(a) Fonsia 20.
(b) Weller 55.
(c) Fonsia 42.
(d) Weller 42.
9. What is the minimum number of cards needed for a straight in gin?
(a) 5 cards.
(b) 3 cards.
(c) 4 cards.
(d) 2 cards.
10. In Act 1, Scene 2, Weller explains how he started enjoying playing gin earlier in life. What context did he play in?
(a) As a business partner.
(b) As a businessman on business trips.
(c) As a traveling salesman.
(d) As a father.
11. Fonsia wins the first gin game by doing what?
(a) By trapping Weller with high cards and knocking.
(b) By picking up Weller's discarded Jack and calling gin.
(c) By calling gin and leaving the hand open, and having nothing to discard.
(d) By being dealt the perfect hand and calling gin immediately.
12. What does Weller blame his relationship with his children on?
(a) His work ethic.
(b) His parents.
(c) His second wife.
(d) The court system.
13. Weller suggests what about his business partners in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) That they were unethical.
(b) That they were trouble.
(c) That they want him back in the business.
(d) That they charged more than was right for their consulting.
14. How old is Fonsia's oldest grandchild?
15. How many cards are dealt to the player (non-dealer)?
Short Answer Questions
1. How could Weller's statement that 'Gin is a relaxing game,' bear out in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What kept Weller from relocating with his family?
3. How many points do Fonsia and Weller play to in their first game?
4. How does the Home, according to Weller, promote the theft of tenants' goods?
5. What day does Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)