|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many cards are dealt to the player (non-dealer)?
2. What best describes the relationship between Weller and his children?
(a) They have a 'fiscal' relationship.
(b) They have a mistrusting relationship.
(c) They have a combative relationsip.
(d) They have lost touch with one another.
3. What scoring system does Weller employ in scoring gin?
(a) The Omaha method.
(b) The Hollywood basis.
(c) The English basis.
(d) The Kansis Style.
4. What comment does Fonsia make regarding Gladys Maye?
(a) That she is too thin and doesn't eat enough.
(b) That she is bored.
(c) That she is suicidal.
(d) That she is deaf.
5. What does the family of Gladys Maye do to Weller that annoys him?
(a) Uses him as an example of a well-fed tenant.
(b) Uses him as an example of a content retiree.
(c) Uses him as an example of a possible suitor.
(d) Uses him an example of a possible 'play mate.'
6. What is the score of the first hand played?
(a) Weller 42.
(b) Fonsia 42.
(c) Weller 55.
(d) Fonsia 20.
7. What does Weller blame his relationship with his children on?
(a) The court system.
(b) His parents.
(c) His second wife.
(d) His work ethic.
8. What is the minimum number of cards needed for a straight in gin?
(a) 4 cards.
(b) 3 cards.
(c) 5 cards.
(d) 2 cards.
9. What is the name of the home?
10. Weller cheats in the first hand by doing what?
(a) Discarding a point card.
(b) Reshuffling the hand.
(c) Looking at Fonsia's cards.
(d) Dealing her an extra card.
11. Fonsia claims that her mother would have killed her for playing cards. Why is that?
(a) Fonsia's mother considered card playing a sin, and would have looked down upon it.
(b) Fonsia's mother considered card playing a man's game, and would have looked down upon it.
(c) Fonsia's mother considered card playing gambling, and would have looked down upon it.
(d) Fonsia's mother considered card playing below their station, and would have looked down upon it.
12. Weller draws what insult from the following statement by Fonsia: "I can't help it"?
(a) That she is taking pity on him.
(b) That she thinks he is destined to lose against her.
(c) That he can't beat a woman.
(d) That he doesn't know how to play gin.
13. What does Weller believe the staff of the Home stole from him?
(a) His prescriptions.
(b) His Social Security check.
(c) A three hundred dollar watch.
(d) His cash.
14. What illness does Fonsia have that requires constant care?
(a) Lung Cancer.
15. When Weller claims to have a good hand, what is Fonsia's response?
(a) "May the best woman win."
(b) "I hope you win."
(c) "Good, it's about time."
(d) "I've got a good one, too."
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the first game of gin won in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What is Fonsia's nickname?
3. What part of gin does Fonsia wish to stick to at first?
4. What is Fonsia's son's name?
5. How many kids does Weller have?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)