|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What score does Fonsia win the fourth hand of gin with in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What is it in Act 1, Scene 2 that makes Fonsia dizzy?
(a) Lack of sleep.
(c) Her winning streak.
(d) The hot weather.
3. What is Weller's response to Fonsia's winning the last hand of gin in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) To storm from the stage.
(b) To go into a rage and overturn the card table.
(c) To throw the score sheet and curse at Fonsia.
(d) To bow to her and without a word, exit the scene.
4. How long has Fonsia been at the home?
(a) Three days.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Four weeks.
(d) Three weeks.
5. What is Weller using as a makeshift ashtray at the opening of the play?
(a) A hub cap.
(b) The side of the porch.
(c) An old shoe.
(d) The lid of a biscuit tin.
6. Fonsia claims that her mother would have killed her for playing cards. Why is that?
(a) Fonsia's mother considered card playing gambling, and would have looked down upon it.
(b) Fonsia's mother considered card playing a sin, and would have looked down upon it.
(c) Fonsia's mother considered card playing a man's game, and would have looked down upon it.
(d) Fonsia's mother considered card playing below their station, and would have looked down upon it.
7. What illness does Weller claim he suffers from in Act One?
(a) An advanced case writer's block.
(b) An advanced case of hum bug.
(c) An advanced case of old age.
(d) An advanced case of tooth decay.
8. How was Fonsia raised?
(a) As an 'old time Methodist.'
(b) As a Southern Baptist.
(c) As a 'stoic Presbyterian.'
(d) As an Orthodox Jew.
9. What is Weller's last name?
10. How does the Home, according to Weller, promote the theft of tenants' goods?
(a) By not paying well enough.
(b) By understaffing.
(c) By not making theft a firing offense.
(d) By not providing safes.
11. How is the second hand of the second game won in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) By Weller, who receives a perfect hand.
(b) By Fonsia, who receives a perfect hand.
(c) By Weller, who wins in three rounds.
(d) By Fonsia, who knocks to win.
12. What is Weller's reaction to the televangelist?
(a) He gives him the finger.
(b) He prays.
(c) He dismisses him with a wave.
(d) He laughs.
13. Weller cheats in the first hand by doing what?
(a) Discarding a point card.
(b) Reshuffling the hand.
(c) Dealing her an extra card.
(d) Looking at Fonsia's cards.
14. In Act 1, Scene 2, Weller explains how he started enjoying playing gin earlier in life. What context did he play in?
(a) As a business partner.
(b) As a traveling salesman.
(c) As a father.
(d) As a businessman on business trips.
15. What is a 'leg' considered in scoring gin?
(a) The difference between the winner's score and the other player's score.
(b) The difference between the dealer's score and the leader's score.
(c) The carryover of points from one game to the next.
(d) The difference between the score winning the game and the score of the next highest player.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Weller's face is turning red in frustration, what is Fonsia doing?
2. What is the name of Fonsia's oldest grandchild?
3. What three cards does Weller need to win at the end of Act 1?
4. What is the first move of the gin game?
5. What was the name of Fonsia's husband?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)