|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the home?
2. Weller draws what insult from the following statement by Fonsia: "I can't help it"?
(a) That he can't beat a woman.
(b) That she thinks he is destined to lose against her.
(c) That she is taking pity on him.
(d) That he doesn't know how to play gin.
3. What does Weller think drives the management of the Home to provide entertainment?
(a) That without entertainment the tenants would 'turn them in for their cooking.'
(b) That without entertainment the tenants would 'drop dead... en masse.'
(c) That without entertainment the tenants would 'revolt.'
(d) That without entertainment the tenants would 'find some other dive to die in.'
4. How did Fonsia get over the 'spells' she had after her divorce?
(b) Crying fits.
(d) The demands of raising her family.
5. How old is Fonsia's youngest grandchild?
6. What mistake does Fonsia make in the first hand of the first game that spoils the round?
(a) Fonsia tells Weller she has all four aces.
(b) Fonsia calls gin without discarding.
(c) Fonsia lays her cards up face first.
(d) Fonsia lays down a pair without having gin.
7. What does the family of Gladys Maye do to Weller that annoys him?
(a) Uses him as an example of a possible suitor.
(b) Uses him an example of a possible 'play mate.'
(c) Uses him as an example of a content retiree.
(d) Uses him as an example of a well-fed tenant.
8. Why does Fonsia think Weller might have gone crazy?
(a) Because it appeared he was singing happy birthday to no one in particular.
(b) Because he was watching the TV.
(c) Because it appeared he was hiding behind the couch.
(d) Because he was dressed so badly.
9. How old is Fonsia's oldest grandchild?
10. What does Fonsia use the pillow for?
(a) To prop up her back.
(b) To sit on.
(c) To swat at Weller with.
(d) To sort her cards on.
11. What is a 'leg' considered in scoring gin?
(a) The carryover of points from one game to the next.
(b) The difference between the dealer's score and the leader's score.
(c) The difference between the winner's score and the other player's score.
(d) The difference between the score winning the game and the score of the next highest player.
12. What comment does Fonsia make regarding Gladys Maye?
(a) That she is deaf.
(b) That she is suicidal.
(c) That she is too thin and doesn't eat enough.
(d) That she is bored.
13. Fonsia has how many siblings?
(a) 3 siblings.
(b) 4 siblings.
(c) 1 sibling.
(d) 2 siblings.
14. What does Weller decide to call Fonsia?
(a) By her proper name.
(b) By her nickname.
(c) By whatever name comes to mind first.
(d) By his own nickname.
15. How many cards are dealt to the dealer in the gin game?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Fonsia's husband?
2. How could Weller's statement that 'Gin is a relaxing game,' bear out in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. According to Weller, the Welfare Department allows people to keep how much money?
4. What illness does Fonsia have that requires constant care?
5. In Act 1, Scene 2, what does Weller attribute the winning streak to?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)