|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kept Weller from relocating with his family?
(a) His parents.
(c) The court.
(d) His new wife.
2. What is Weller's reaction to the televangelist?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He dismisses him with a wave.
(c) He gives him the finger.
(d) He prays.
3. Fonsia has how many siblings?
(a) 3 siblings.
(b) 2 siblings.
(c) 4 siblings.
(d) 1 sibling.
4. What is the name of Fonsia's youngest grandchild?
5. What three cards does Weller need to win at the end of Act 1?
(a) Any 5, any 6, or the 7 of Clubs.
(b) Only the 7of Clubs.
(c) Any ace.
(d) Any 2 or the King of Clubs.
6. What mistake does Fonsia make in the first hand of the first game that spoils the round?
(a) Fonsia lays down a pair without having gin.
(b) Fonsia lays her cards up face first.
(c) Fonsia tells Weller she has all four aces.
(d) Fonsia calls gin without discarding.
7. What illness does Weller claim he suffers from in Act One?
(a) An advanced case of tooth decay.
(b) An advanced case of hum bug.
(c) An advanced case writer's block.
(d) An advanced case of old age.
8. What is the minimum number of cards needed for a straight in gin?
(a) 5 cards.
(b) 2 cards.
(c) 3 cards.
(d) 4 cards.
9. According to Weller, what is the one sin in card playing?
(a) Betting on the draw.
(b) Drawing to an inside straight.
(c) Playing with joker's wild.
(d) Discarding the ace of spades.
10. What part of gin does Fonsia wish to stick to at first?
(a) The discarding part of the game.
(b) The gin part of the game.
(c) The knocking part of the game.
(d) The winning part of the game
11. How could Weller's statement that 'Gin is a relaxing game,' bear out in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) In direct contrast to the action.
(b) Conforming to the action.
(c) Perfectly in this scene, but none of the later scenes.
(d) For Fonsia only.
12. What is Fonsia's son's name?
13. How many points does Weller post in the first game in Act 1, Scene 2?
14. At the start of the first hand in Act 1, Scene 2, Fonsia claims gin has what effect on her?
(a) A motivating effect.
(b) An assuring effect.
(c) A stressful effect.
(d) A relaxing effect.
15. Fonsia claims that her mother would have killed her for playing cards. Why is that?
(a) Fonsia's mother considered card playing gambling, and would have looked down upon it.
(b) Fonsia's mother considered card playing a sin, and would have looked down upon it.
(c) Fonsia's mother considered card playing a man's game, and would have looked down upon it.
(d) Fonsia's mother considered card playing below their station, and would have looked down upon it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Weller describes what as being the worst feeling of his life?
2. Weller cheats in the first hand by doing what?
3. What is Weller's response to Fonsia's winning the last hand of gin in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What was the name of Fonsia's husband?
5. What mistake does Weller make in the card game at the end of Act 1?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)