|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Fonsia's last name?
2. What score does Fonsia win the fourth hand of gin with in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What best describes the relationship between Weller and his children?
(a) They have a 'fiscal' relationship.
(b) They have a combative relationsip.
(c) They have lost touch with one another.
(d) They have a mistrusting relationship.
4. How many points does Weller post in the first game in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. Weller suggests what about his business partners in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) That they charged more than was right for their consulting.
(b) That they were unethical.
(c) That they want him back in the business.
(d) That they were trouble.
6. What mistake does Fonsia make in the first hand of the first game that spoils the round?
(a) Fonsia lays down a pair without having gin.
(b) Fonsia calls gin without discarding.
(c) Fonsia tells Weller she has all four aces.
(d) Fonsia lays her cards up face first.
7. Weller describes what as being the worst feeling of his life?
(a) A kind of panic attack.
(b) His divorce proceedings.
(c) His first week in the Home.
(d) His losing streak.
8. What is the first move of the gin game?
(a) The dealer turns over a card from the stack.
(b) The player randomly selects a card from the stack.
(c) The dealer discards one card.
(d) The player discards one card.
9. According to Fonsia and Weller, what does the Home lack more than anything else?
(b) Sufficient staff.
(c) Decent conversation.
10. Fonsia wins a hand of gin that Weller would have won had he knocked. What card is she waiting for that eventually wins her the hand?
(a) The wild card.
(b) The four of diamonds.
(c) A queen.
(d) An ace.
11. What illness does Fonsia have that requires constant care?
(d) Lung Cancer.
12. How could Weller's statement that 'Gin is a relaxing game,' bear out in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) For Fonsia only.
(b) In direct contrast to the action.
(c) Perfectly in this scene, but none of the later scenes.
(d) Conforming to the action.
13. How does the Home, according to Weller, promote the theft of tenants' goods?
(a) By not making theft a firing offense.
(b) By understaffing.
(c) By not paying well enough.
(d) By not providing safes.
14. While Weller's face is turning red in frustration, what is Fonsia doing?
(a) Fiddling with her cards and humming a tune.
(b) Crunching her candy and tapping her foot to a march.
(c) Frowning over her cards.
(d) Watching television through the window.
15. What is Fonsia's nickname?
Short Answer Questions
1. In this game of gin, what is 'knocking'?
2. How large are the rooms at the home, according to Fonsia?
3. What is the name of the home?
4. What game is Weller playing at the opening of the play?
5. When Weller suggests that Fonsia check with her doctor and not a welfare quack, what does she snap back at him?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)