|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Fonsia's oldest grandchild?
2. What is Weller's reaction to the televangelist?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He dismisses him with a wave.
(c) He prays.
(d) He gives him the finger.
3. What does Weller refer to as "dumb Gin"?
(a) Collecting only straights.
(b) Collecting royal straights.
(d) Holding face cards too long.
4. What does Weller blame his relationship with his children on?
(a) His second wife.
(b) The court system.
(c) His work ethic.
(d) His parents.
5. What is a 'leg' considered in scoring gin?
(a) The difference between the winner's score and the other player's score.
(b) The carryover of points from one game to the next.
(c) The difference between the dealer's score and the leader's score.
(d) The difference between the score winning the game and the score of the next highest player.
6. In this game of gin, what is 'knocking'?
(a) Knocking is an alternate way of winning based on who has the fewest unmatched points in their hand.
(b) Knocking is allowed once a game and is a pass on drawing a card.
(c) Knocking is a rule only the dealer can invoke requiring the player to discard two cards.
(d) Knocking allows a player to pick up a discarded card.
7. When Weller suggests that Fonsia check with her doctor and not a welfare quack, what does she snap back at him?
(a) That she can take care of herself.
(b) That she is not on welfare.
(c) That there is nothing wrong with welfare doctors.
(d) That her doctor is the best money can buy.
8. According to Weller, how does Fonsia play the first hand well?
(a) By discarding her high cards.
(b) By retaining the Kings.
(c) By knocking.
(d) By discarding what he needed.
9. What does the family of Gladys Maye do to Weller that annoys him?
(a) Uses him an example of a possible 'play mate.'
(b) Uses him as an example of a well-fed tenant.
(c) Uses him as an example of a possible suitor.
(d) Uses him as an example of a content retiree.
10. What is the first move of the gin game?
(a) The dealer turns over a card from the stack.
(b) The player discards one card.
(c) The dealer discards one card.
(d) The player randomly selects a card from the stack.
11. Who is the luckiest person Weller has ever seen play gin?
(a) His ex-wife.
(d) His son.
12. What happened to Fonsia's husband?
(a) Fonsia's husband died in a plane crash.
(b) Fonsia's husband abandoned her.
(c) Fonsia's husband died in World War II.
(d) Fonsia's husband and she divorced.
13. When Weller begins losing his temper at the game, Fonsia threatens what?
(a) To start playing seriously.
(b) To stop playing.
(c) To start keeping score herself.
(d) To beat him without letting him score a single point.
14. What was the name of Fonsia's husband?
15. Weller's temper raises what concern for Fonsia?
(a) That Weller will have a stroke.
(b) That Weller will start to curse.
(c) That Weller will begin breaking things.
(d) That Weller will strike her.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Fonsia and Weller, what does the Home lack more than anything else?
2. Weller cheats in the first hand by doing what?
3. What part of gin does Fonsia wish to stick to at first?
4. How is the first game of gin won in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. What dish do Weller and Fonsia complain of knowing of no one who likes it?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)