|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Weller, how does Fonsia play the first hand well?
(a) By retaining the Kings.
(b) By discarding what he needed.
(c) By discarding her high cards.
(d) By knocking.
2. What is the score of the first hand played?
(a) Fonsia 20.
(b) Weller 55.
(c) Fonsia 42.
(d) Weller 42.
3. What does Weller think drives the management of the Home to provide entertainment?
(a) That without entertainment the tenants would 'revolt.'
(b) That without entertainment the tenants would 'drop dead... en masse.'
(c) That without entertainment the tenants would 'turn them in for their cooking.'
(d) That without entertainment the tenants would 'find some other dive to die in.'
4. What is Weller's complaint about the family of Gladys Maye?
(a) They're too loud.
(b) They're too large.
(c) They're too stingy.
(d) They're too puritanical.
5. Fonsia claims that her mother would have killed her for playing cards. Why is that?
(a) Fonsia's mother considered card playing gambling, and would have looked down upon it.
(b) Fonsia's mother considered card playing a man's game, and would have looked down upon it.
(c) Fonsia's mother considered card playing below their station, and would have looked down upon it.
(d) Fonsia's mother considered card playing a sin, and would have looked down upon it.
6. Weller draws what insult from the following statement by Fonsia: "I can't help it"?
(a) That she thinks he is destined to lose against her.
(b) That he doesn't know how to play gin.
(c) That he can't beat a woman.
(d) That she is taking pity on him.
7. How long has Fonsia been at the home?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Three days.
(d) Four weeks.
8. Why does Fonsia think Weller might have gone crazy?
(a) Because he was dressed so badly.
(b) Because it appeared he was hiding behind the couch.
(c) Because it appeared he was singing happy birthday to no one in particular.
(d) Because he was watching the TV.
9. What is the name of Fonsia's youngest grandchild?
10. What is a 'leg' considered in scoring gin?
(a) The difference between the winner's score and the other player's score.
(b) The difference between the score winning the game and the score of the next highest player.
(c) The carryover of points from one game to the next.
(d) The difference between the dealer's score and the leader's score.
11. After losing the first hand of only their second game, Weller is no longer concerned about what?
(a) About cheating.
(b) About finding a worthy adversary.
(c) About playing to only 80.
(d) About Fonsia's memory.
12. What does Weller believe the staff of the Home stole from him?
(a) A three hundred dollar watch.
(b) His Social Security check.
(c) His prescriptions.
(d) His cash.
13. What does the family of Gladys Maye do to Weller that annoys him?
(a) Uses him as an example of a possible suitor.
(b) Uses him as an example of a well-fed tenant.
(c) Uses him an example of a possible 'play mate.'
(d) Uses him as an example of a content retiree.
14. What is Weller's reaction to the televangelist?
(a) He dismisses him with a wave.
(b) He gives him the finger.
(c) He prays.
(d) He laughs.
15. As Weller begins losing his temper, he begins yelling. He also begins doing what?
(b) Making bigoted remarks.
(c) Kicking the furniture.
(d) Holding his chest.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many kids does Weller have?
2. What happened to Fonsia's husband?
3. When Weller suggests that Fonsia check with her doctor and not a welfare quack, what does she snap back at him?
4. Weller claims that what is 'a racket'?
5. What is Fonsia's nickname?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)