|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Fonsia wins a hand of gin that Weller would have won had he knocked. What card is she waiting for that eventually wins her the hand?
(a) An ace.
(b) A queen.
(c) The wild card.
(d) The four of diamonds.
2. According to Weller, what is the one sin in card playing?
(a) Betting on the draw.
(b) Playing with joker's wild.
(c) Drawing to an inside straight.
(d) Discarding the ace of spades.
3. Fonsia claims that her mother would have killed her for playing cards. Why is that?
(a) Fonsia's mother considered card playing gambling, and would have looked down upon it.
(b) Fonsia's mother considered card playing a man's game, and would have looked down upon it.
(c) Fonsia's mother considered card playing below their station, and would have looked down upon it.
(d) Fonsia's mother considered card playing a sin, and would have looked down upon it.
4. While Weller's face is turning red in frustration, what is Fonsia doing?
(a) Frowning over her cards.
(b) Watching television through the window.
(c) Crunching her candy and tapping her foot to a march.
(d) Fiddling with her cards and humming a tune.
5. What does the family of Gladys Maye do to Weller that annoys him?
(a) Uses him as an example of a possible suitor.
(b) Uses him as an example of a well-fed tenant.
(c) Uses him an example of a possible 'play mate.'
(d) Uses him as an example of a content retiree.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Weller think drives the management of the Home to provide entertainment?
2. What part of gin does Fonsia wish to stick to at first?
3. What is the name of the home?
4. In Act 1, Scene 2, Weller explains how he started enjoying playing gin earlier in life. What context did he play in?
5. What is a 'leg' considered in scoring gin?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)