|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of the story, how does Gimpel say the afterlife will be?
(a) A burning pit just as the Spirit of Evil said.
(b) A craps shoot.
(c) A relief.
(d) Real, without ridicule, complication or deception.
2. How do townspeople react to Gimpel's actions regarding the event that occurred while the couple was separated?
(a) They threw a party.
(b) They refreshed their spirits.
(c) They didn't react for they they had stopped caring.
(d) They were angry.
3. What does Elka tell Gimpel to do as soon as she sees him in the house?
(a) Lay next to her.
(b) Go back to the bakery.
(c) Check on the goat.
(d) Tell the children he is back.
4. What does the second person Gimpel dreams of say of the afterlife?
(a) "They spare you nothing here."
(b) "I am so happy!"
(c) "Dante was right."
(d) "I am in limbo."
5. After taking steps toward revenge, who does Gimpel see in a dream?
(b) His parents.
(d) The Spirit of Evil again.
6. Gimpel states that, "All kinds of things happened," but what else does he say about these events?
(a) He neither saw nor heard, simply believed.
(b) He was angered by these events.
(c) They only happened in his mind.
(d) Because of these things he left Elka.
7. After her big confession to Gimpel, what does Elka do?
(a) She dies.
(b) She asks about the goat again.
(c) She falls asleep.
(d) She recovers.
8. What advice does the apprentice give Gimpel?
(a) If he prays with Elka their marriage will beome stronger.
(b) Ignore the townspeople and their long-tongued babble.
(c) Watch out for the farmer for he wants Elka.
(d) The baker will be mad if Gimpel sends Elka too much food.
9. What was the original language of "Gimpel the Fool"?
10. After Gimpel reiterates what he saw in his bed when he returned home after their separation, what does Elka do?
(a) Yells and says an evil spirit has taken root inside Gimpel and dazzles his sight.
(b) Sends him out to look at the goat again.
(c) Admit her wrongdoing.
(d) Beg for forgiveness.
11. Who is the author of "Gimpel the Fool"?
(a) Isaac Mizrahi.
(b) Judy Bloom.
(c) Isaac Bashevis Singer.
(d) Saul Bellow.
12. Why does Elka make her deathbed confession?
(a) She is hallucinating.
(b) She wants to go clean to her maker.
(c) She wants Gimpel to know he wasn't her true love.
(d) She just thought Gimpel should know.
13. Even though Gimpel has not seen his wife, what does he do to celebrate the event that occurred while the couple was separated?
(a) Divorces Elka.
(b) Invoke a blessing on the baby girl and name her.
(c) Skips the period of mourning.
(d) Invoke a blessing for the baby boy and name him.
14. Where does Gimpel go when he leaves Frampol?
(b) Into the world.
15. At the end of Elka's life, what does Gimpel spend a fortune on?
(a) Toys for his children.
(c) Expensive clothing and housewares.
(d) Healers and doctors for Elka.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person Gimpel confronts tell Gimpel to do?
2. Who does Gimpel blame for his vengeance?
3. How many children did Elka bear Gimpel?
4. The morning after Gimpel has returned home from a long separation from Elka, who does Gimpel confront?
5. What does the delivery person say about Gimpel's family?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)