|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ultimately happens to Elka?
(a) She runs off.
(b) She becomes ill.
(c) She leaves Gimpel.
(d) She goes insane.
2. When the second dream person appears to Gimpel, what do they look like?
(a) Like a skeleton.
(c) Happy and healthy.
(d) Shrouded with a black face.
3. What does the delivery person say about Gimpel's family?
(a) Gimpel has a decent wife and two fine kids that he doesn't deserve.
(b) Gimpel's family doesn't deserve all the food that Gimpel sends.
(c) Gimpel's family smells bad.
(d) Gimpel's family is too small.
4. How do townspeople react to Gimpel's actions regarding the event that occurred while the couple was separated?
(a) They refreshed their spirits.
(b) They didn't react for they they had stopped caring.
(c) They were angry.
(d) They threw a party.
5. After taking steps toward revenge, who does Gimpel see in a dream?
(a) The Spirit of Evil again.
(b) His parents.
6. Who is the author of "Gimpel the Fool"?
(a) Isaac Mizrahi.
(b) Saul Bellow.
(c) Isaac Bashevis Singer.
(d) Judy Bloom.
7. After leaving Frampol, where does Gimpel go when he dreams?
(b) Into the sky.
8. If Gimpel follows the advice given to him by the dream person, what does he fear?
(a) Shame of being found out.
(b) Losing his business.
(c) Elka's wrath.
(d) Judgment in the world to come.
9. What does Gimpel tell the children to do before he leaves town?
(a) Start their own businesses.
(b) Forget him.
(c) Remember him well.
(d) Pray for their mother.
10. What is the final expression on Elka's face after she confesses to Gimpel?
(a) She drops a single tear.
(b) She is frowning.
(c) She is smiling.
(d) Her mouth is agape.
11. What does the second person Gimpel dreams of say of the afterlife?
(a) "I am so happy!"
(b) "I am in limbo."
(c) "Dante was right."
(d) "They spare you nothing here."
12. As the story ends, what is Gimpel about to do?
13. What advice does the apprentice give Gimpel?
(a) If he prays with Elka their marriage will beome stronger.
(b) The baker will be mad if Gimpel sends Elka too much food.
(c) Ignore the townspeople and their long-tongued babble.
(d) Watch out for the farmer for he wants Elka.
14. Gimpel states that, "All kinds of things happened," but what else does he say about these events?
(a) They only happened in his mind.
(b) He was angered by these events.
(c) Because of these things he left Elka.
(d) He neither saw nor heard, simply believed.
15. How long does Gimpel live with Elka?
(a) Two months.
(b) A century.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) Fifty years.
Short Answer Questions
1. How had Gimpel felt previously about the person who brought Elka the food and money from Gimpel?
2. When Gimpel has returned home after being separated and he has completed Elka's errand, what does he ask her?
3. When Gimpel tells the children that he saw their dead mother, how do they react?
4. On the night of Gimpel's return after a lengthy separation, what does Elka's "brother" do to Gimpel?
5. Even though Gimpel has not seen his wife, what does he do to celebrate the event that occurred while the couple was separated?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)