|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of the story, what does Gimpel say about the world we live in?
(a) It is in fact heaven.
(b) It is hell.
(c) It is the work of the Spirit of Evil.
(d) It is imaginary and once removed.
2. Even though Gimpel has not seen his wife, what does he do to celebrate the event that occurred while the couple was separated?
(a) Invoke a blessing on the baby girl and name her.
(b) Divorces Elka.
(c) Invoke a blessing for the baby boy and name him.
(d) Skips the period of mourning.
3. What does Gimpel do after Elka's death?
(a) Refuse to admit she has died.
(d) Observe a period of mourning.
4. The morning after Gimpel has returned home from a long separation from Elka, who does Gimpel confront?
(a) The "brother."
(b) The rabbi.
(d) The apprentice.
5. After leaving Frampol, who does Gimpel see when he dreams?
(a) The Spirit of Evil.
(c) His children he left behind.
6. At the end of the story, how does Gimpel say the afterlife will be?
(a) A burning pit just as the Spirit of Evil said.
(b) A relief.
(c) Real, without ridicule, complication or deception.
(d) A craps shoot.
7. When did Gimpel's opinion of the person who delivered bread to Elka for him change?
(a) After the rabbi said prayers for Elka.
(b) After the farmer grew vegetables for Elka.
(c) After the baker started visiting the house.
(d) After the apprentice started visiting the house.
8. How had Gimpel felt previously about the person who brought Elka the food and money from Gimpel?
(a) Gimpel had seen him as a fellow fool.
(b) Gimpel had thought he was a busybody.
(c) Gimpel had thought he was a curmudgeon.
(d) Gimpel had seen him as an annoyance.
9. What does Elka tell Gimpel to do as soon as she sees him in the house?
(a) Lay next to her.
(b) Tell the children he is back.
(c) Go back to the bakery.
(d) Check on the goat.
10. After Gimpel reiterates what he saw in his bed when he returned home after their separation, what does Elka do?
(a) Sends him out to look at the goat again.
(b) Beg for forgiveness.
(c) Yells and says an evil spirit has taken root inside Gimpel and dazzles his sight.
(d) Admit her wrongdoing.
11. Who witnesses Gimpel right his wrong?
(a) The farmer.
(b) The baker.
(c) His children.
(d) The apprentice.
12. What does Gimpel tell Elka on her deathbed?
(a) There is nothing to forgive, and that Elka has been a good and faithful wife.
(b) She will not be cremated but buried.
(c) He knows she has done him wrong and will never forgive her.
(d) The goat is fine and not to worry.
13. What does the person in Gimpel's dream say about God?
(a) They are enemies.
(b) They are friends.
(c) There is no God.
(d) God is weak.
14. When Gimpel tells the children that he saw their dead mother, how do they react?
(a) They drop to their knees in prayer.
(b) They are astounded and can't speak.
(c) They become angry at his falsehood.
(d) They ask Gimpel to tell them more.
15. While on her deathbed, what does Elka ask Gimpel to do?
(a) Make sure she is cremated.
(b) Forgive her.
(c) Take care of his children.
(d) Check on the goat one last time.
Short Answer Questions
1. After GImpel has returned from checking on the goat, how does Elka respond to Gimpel's questions?
2. What does Gimpel carry with him in his beggar's sack?
3. What does Gimpel imagine Elka's expression says after she has passed away?
4. Who is the author of "Gimpel the Fool"?
5. When the rabbi sends for Gimpel, after a long separation from Elka, what does the rabbi ask?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)