|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After taking steps toward revenge, who does Gimpel see in a dream?
(a) His parents.
(d) The Spirit of Evil again.
2. What advice does the apprentice give Gimpel?
(a) Ignore the townspeople and their long-tongued babble.
(b) Watch out for the farmer for he wants Elka.
(c) The baker will be mad if Gimpel sends Elka too much food.
(d) If he prays with Elka their marriage will beome stronger.
3. What happens while Gimpel and Elka are separated?
(a) Gimpel meets someone else.
(b) Elka gives birth to a baby girl.
(c) Elka dies.
(d) Elka gives birth to a boy.
4. What does the rabbi tell Gimpel he can do regarding his marriage?
(a) Go back to the bakery.
(b) Go home.
(c) Go to the synagogue.
(d) Go ahead with the divorce.
5. What is the final expression on Elka's face after she confesses to Gimpel?
(a) Her mouth is agape.
(b) She is smiling.
(c) She is frowning.
(d) She drops a single tear.
6. After Gimpel and Elka's separation, why does Gimpel not want a scandal?
(a) People will accuse him of raising spooks and no one will want the bread he bakes.
(b) He doesn't want to look foolish.
(c) He is tired of drama.
(d) He doesn't want people to think badly of Elka.
7. If Gimpel follows the advice given to him by the dream person, what does he fear?
(a) Losing his business.
(b) Elka's wrath.
(c) Judgment in the world to come.
(d) Shame of being found out.
8. What does Gimpel tell Elka on her deathbed?
(a) He knows she has done him wrong and will never forgive her.
(b) She will not be cremated but buried.
(c) The goat is fine and not to worry.
(d) There is nothing to forgive, and that Elka has been a good and faithful wife.
9. When Gimpel tells the children that he saw their dead mother, how do they react?
(a) They become angry at his falsehood.
(b) They ask Gimpel to tell them more.
(c) They drop to their knees in prayer.
(d) They are astounded and can't speak.
10. Where does Gimpel go when he leaves Frampol?
(c) Into the world.
11. Even though Gimpel has not seen his wife, what does he do to celebrate the event that occurred while the couple was separated?
(a) Invoke a blessing for the baby boy and name him.
(b) Invoke a blessing on the baby girl and name her.
(c) Divorces Elka.
(d) Skips the period of mourning.
12. In order to avoid a scandal, what does Gimpel do?
(a) Tells Elka to run away in the night.
(b) Calms Elka down.
(c) Heads to the temple.
(d) Breaks free of his constraints and ties up the "brother" instead.
13. Where does Gimpel believe he cannot be deceived?
(a) In his dreams.
(b) The afterlife.
(c) On the road.
(d) In the pub.
14. After her death, who does Elka think she has fooled?
(a) Her children.
15. Who is Gimpel told he owes thanks to?
(a) The farmer.
(c) The Yanover rabbi.
(d) The baker.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do townspeople react to Gimpel's actions regarding the event that occurred while the couple was separated?
2. How does Gimpel feel on his way home at night after work?
3. Gimpel states that, "All kinds of things happened," but what else does he say about these events?
4. What does Gimpel tell the Rabbi he actually saw by Elka in his bed?
5. After his dream in Chapter 4, what does Gimpel imagine the bread dough is saying to him?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)