|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who witnesses Gimpel right his wrong?
(a) The farmer.
(b) The apprentice.
(c) The baker.
(d) His children.
2. Gimpel states that, "All kinds of things happened," but what else does he say about these events?
(a) He neither saw nor heard, simply believed.
(b) They only happened in his mind.
(c) He was angered by these events.
(d) Because of these things he left Elka.
3. How does Gimpel survive after leaving Frampol?
(a) By sheepherding.
(b) Through the help of the synagogue.
(c) By scamming people.
(d) Through good people who do not neglect him.
4. While appearing to Gimpel in a dream, what does this dream person say to Gimpel?
(a) Since the whole world deceives Gimpel, he should deceive the world in return.
(b) Gimpel should repent.
(c) Gimpel is bound for hell.
(d) Elka yearns for Gimpel in the afterlife.
5. Who is Gimpel told he owes thanks to?
(b) The baker.
(c) The Yanover rabbi.
(d) The farmer.
6. Instead of God or an afterlife, what does the the person in Gimpel's dream say is there?
(b) Another life on earth.
(c) Eternal sleep.
(d) A thick mire.
7. What was the original language of "Gimpel the Fool"?
8. When did Gimpel's opinion of the person who delivered bread to Elka for him change?
(a) After the rabbi said prayers for Elka.
(b) After the farmer grew vegetables for Elka.
(c) After the apprentice started visiting the house.
(d) After the baker started visiting the house.
9. After his dream in Chapter 4, what does Gimpel imagine the bread dough is saying to him?
(a) "We will make good loaves tomorrow."
(b) "Do it!"
(d) "Throw us at the Spirit of Evil!"
10. What does Gimpel do during his travels?
(a) Bake bread.
(b) Sleep a lot.
(c) Beg for money and drink ale.
(d) Spin yarns (tell stories).
11. How long does Gimpel live with Elka?
(a) Fifty years.
(b) Two months.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) A century.
12. After taking steps toward revenge, what does the second dream person tell Gimpel?
(a) He is stupid.
(b) He was always loved.
(c) He is a fool.
(d) He is evil.
13. What do the children of the world call Gimpel?
14. What does Gimpel carry with him in his beggar's sack?
(a) Death shrouds.
(b) His will.
(c) A dradel.
(d) A wad of money.
15. What does Gimpel tell Elka on her deathbed?
(a) The goat is fine and not to worry.
(b) There is nothing to forgive, and that Elka has been a good and faithful wife.
(c) He knows she has done him wrong and will never forgive her.
(d) She will not be cremated but buried.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving Frampol, where does Gimpel go when he dreams?
2. How had Gimpel felt previously about the person who brought Elka the food and money from Gimpel?
3. After GImpel has returned from checking on the goat, how does Elka respond to Gimpel's questions?
4. How do townspeople react to Gimpel's actions regarding the event that occurred while the couple was separated?
5. What is Gimpel's reasoning in the resolution that he reached while separated from his wife?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)