|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the person in Gimpel's dream say about God?
(a) God is weak.
(b) There is no God.
(c) They are enemies.
(d) They are friends.
2. What is Gimpel told to do for revenge against the townspeople?
(a) Defecate on the sidewalk.
(b) Steal food from the townspeople.
(c) Spit in the bread.
(d) Urinate in the bread.
3. After taking steps toward revenge, what does the second dream person tell Gimpel?
(a) He is evil.
(b) He is stupid.
(c) He was always loved.
(d) He is a fool.
4. How does Gimpel feel on his way home at night after work?
(a) So excited he feels like singing.
(b) Like he has a fever.
(c) Regretful he didn't get a divorce.
5. What does Gimpel do during his travels?
(a) Beg for money and drink ale.
(b) Sleep a lot.
(c) Spin yarns (tell stories).
(d) Bake bread.
6. What does Elka tell Gimpel to do as soon as she sees him in the house?
(a) Tell the children he is back.
(b) Go back to the bakery.
(c) Lay next to her.
(d) Check on the goat.
7. Who witnesses Gimpel right his wrong?
(a) His children.
(b) The farmer.
(c) The apprentice.
(d) The baker.
8. How do townspeople react to Gimpel's actions regarding the event that occurred while the couple was separated?
(a) They were angry.
(b) They refreshed their spirits.
(c) They didn't react for they they had stopped caring.
(d) They threw a party.
9. When the rabbi sends for Gimpel, after a long separation from Elka, what does the rabbi ask?
(a) If Gimpel has been praying enough.
(b) If Gimpel is ready to marry someone else.
(c) If Gimpel is ready to divorce Elka.
(d) If Gimpel is sure he was wrong about his wife.
10. What does Gimpel carry with him in his beggar's sack?
(a) His will.
(b) A dradel.
(c) Death shrouds.
(d) A wad of money.
11. Where does Gimpel go when he leaves Frampol?
(b) Into the world.
12. What does Gimpel imagine Elka's expression says after she has passed away?
(a) "I deceived Gimpel. That was the meaning of my brief life."
(b) "I am forever sorry for what I did to you, Gimpel."
(c) "I always loved you."
(d) "I'm dying but I'm hungry."
13. At the end of Elka's life, what does Gimpel spend a fortune on?
(a) Expensive clothing and housewares.
(c) Healers and doctors for Elka.
(d) Toys for his children.
14. What was the original language of "Gimpel the Fool"?
15. After leaving Frampol, how does Gimpel always envision Elka?
(a) As an angel but without wings.
(b) As a devil.
(c) Standing by the washtub like their first encounter.
(d) In her wedding gown.
Short Answer Questions
1. After disposing of his vengence, what does Gimpel do when he returns home?
2. At the end of the story, how does Gimpel say the afterlife will be?
3. What does the person Gimpel confronts tell Gimpel to do?
4. Who does Gimpel blame for his vengeance?
5. What do the children of the world call Gimpel?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)