|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gimpel imagine Elka's expression says after she has passed away?
(a) "I always loved you."
(b) "I'm dying but I'm hungry."
(c) "I am forever sorry for what I did to you, Gimpel."
(d) "I deceived Gimpel. That was the meaning of my brief life."
2. When Gimpel returns home after months of being away, who does Gimpel see in the bed next to Elka?
(a) The baker.
(b) The farmer.
(c) The apprentice.
(d) The Yanover rabbi.
3. While appearing to Gimpel in a dream, what does this dream person say to Gimpel?
(a) Elka yearns for Gimpel in the afterlife.
(b) Gimpel is bound for hell.
(c) Gimpel should repent.
(d) Since the whole world deceives Gimpel, he should deceive the world in return.
4. After leaving Frampol, where does Gimpel go when he dreams?
(a) Into the sky.
5. Who does Gimpel use to send Elka food?
(a) The baker.
(b) The rabbis.
(c) The farmer.
(d) The apprentice.
6. What advice does the apprentice give Gimpel?
(a) Ignore the townspeople and their long-tongued babble.
(b) The baker will be mad if Gimpel sends Elka too much food.
(c) Watch out for the farmer for he wants Elka.
(d) If he prays with Elka their marriage will beome stronger.
7. When did Gimpel's opinion of the person who delivered bread to Elka for him change?
(a) After the baker started visiting the house.
(b) After the farmer grew vegetables for Elka.
(c) After the apprentice started visiting the house.
(d) After the rabbi said prayers for Elka.
8. The morning after Gimpel has returned home from a long separation from Elka, who does Gimpel confront?
(a) The rabbi.
(c) The apprentice.
(d) The "brother."
9. At the end of Elka's life, what does Gimpel spend a fortune on?
(b) Toys for his children.
(c) Healers and doctors for Elka.
(d) Expensive clothing and housewares.
10. When the rabbi sends for Gimpel, after a long separation from Elka, what does the rabbi ask?
(a) If Gimpel is ready to marry someone else.
(b) If Gimpel is sure he was wrong about his wife.
(c) If Gimpel is ready to divorce Elka.
(d) If Gimpel has been praying enough.
11. If Gimpel follows through with his plan of vengeance, what does he fear he'll lose?
(a) Eternal life.
(b) His wealth.
(c) His children.
(d) His business.
12. What is Gimpel told while he is dreaming on his travels?
(a) All is right and death is nearer then far.
(b) He will be tempted by the Spirit of Evil.
(c) He mustn't stray from Judaism.
(d) Everyone misses him at home.
13. What is Gimpel's reasoning in the resolution that he reached while separated from his wife?
(a) If he is Christian he wont be harassed as much.
(b) He will get revenge on the townspeople for making him marry Elka.
(c) What's the good of not believing? Today it's your wife you don't belive, tomorrow it's God.
(d) If he divorces Elka she will look like the fool.
14. Initially, what does Gimpel want to do to the Spirit of Evil?
(a) Snatch him by the tail.
(b) Ask him more questions.
(c) Worship him.
(d) Tell him he doesn't exist.
15. After GImpel has returned from checking on the goat, how does Elka respond to Gimpel's questions?
(a) Acts like she doesn't know what he's talking about.
(b) She smothers him in kisses.
(c) She sobs.
(d) She tells Gimpel the children always stay up late.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Gimpel tells the children that he saw their dead mother, how do they react?
2. After Gimpel reiterates what he saw in his bed when he returned home after their separation, what does Elka do?
3. As the story ends, what is Gimpel about to do?
4. Where does Gimpel go when he leaves Frampol?
5. How does Gimpel survive after leaving Frampol?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)