|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Gimpel has returned home after being separated and he has completed Elka's errand, what does he ask her?
(a) If she missed him.
(b) Why the kids aren't in bed.
(c) How she has been.
(d) Where the apprentice went.
2. What is Gimpel resolved to do while he is separated from Elka?
(a) Always believe what he is told.
(b) Burn down the city.
(c) Become a Christian.
(d) Divorce Elka.
3. What advice does the apprentice give Gimpel?
(a) The baker will be mad if Gimpel sends Elka too much food.
(b) If he prays with Elka their marriage will beome stronger.
(c) Ignore the townspeople and their long-tongued babble.
(d) Watch out for the farmer for he wants Elka.
4. After her big confession to Gimpel, what does Elka do?
(a) She falls asleep.
(b) She asks about the goat again.
(c) She recovers.
(d) She dies.
5. What does Gimpel imagine Elka's expression says after she has passed away?
(a) "I deceived Gimpel. That was the meaning of my brief life."
(b) "I always loved you."
(c) "I am forever sorry for what I did to you, Gimpel."
(d) "I'm dying but I'm hungry."
6. What does Gimpel do during his travels?
(a) Spin yarns (tell stories).
(b) Beg for money and drink ale.
(c) Bake bread.
(d) Sleep a lot.
7. How do townspeople react to Gimpel's actions regarding the event that occurred while the couple was separated?
(a) They didn't react for they they had stopped caring.
(b) They were angry.
(c) They refreshed their spirits.
(d) They threw a party.
8. How many children did Elka bear Gimpel?
9. Who is the author of "Gimpel the Fool"?
(a) Saul Bellow.
(b) Isaac Mizrahi.
(c) Judy Bloom.
(d) Isaac Bashevis Singer.
10. What does the second person Gimpel dreams of say of the afterlife?
(a) "They spare you nothing here."
(b) "Dante was right."
(c) "I am in limbo."
(d) "I am so happy!"
11. How does Gimpel describe the person who brings food to Elka?
(a) As a curmudgeon.
(b) As a thief.
(c) As a bum.
(d) As a goodhearted lad.
12. How had Gimpel felt previously about the person who brought Elka the food and money from Gimpel?
(a) Gimpel had thought he was a busybody.
(b) Gimpel had seen him as an annoyance.
(c) Gimpel had thought he was a curmudgeon.
(d) Gimpel had seen him as a fellow fool.
13. When Gimpel returns home after months of being away, who does Gimpel see in the bed next to Elka?
(a) The Yanover rabbi.
(b) The apprentice.
(c) The baker.
(d) The farmer.
14. What do the children of the world call Gimpel?
15. What happens while Gimpel and Elka are separated?
(a) Elka gives birth to a boy.
(b) Gimpel meets someone else.
(c) Elka gives birth to a baby girl.
(d) Elka dies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Spirit of Evil look like?
2. Does GImpel let himself be persuaded to do what his dream suggests?
3. In order to right his wrongfully attempted vengeance, what does Gimpel do?
4. Who does Gimpel use to send Elka food?
5. What ultimately happens to Elka?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)