|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advice does the apprentice give Gimpel?
(a) Ignore the townspeople and their long-tongued babble.
(b) If he prays with Elka their marriage will beome stronger.
(c) The baker will be mad if Gimpel sends Elka too much food.
(d) Watch out for the farmer for he wants Elka.
2. In order to right his wrongfully attempted vengeance, what does Gimpel do?
(a) Return the food he has stolen.
(b) Clean the sidewalk.
(d) Bury the tainted bread.
3. After leaving Frampol, who does Gimpel see when he dreams?
(c) The Spirit of Evil.
(d) His children he left behind.
4. What does the person Gimpel confronts tell Gimpel to do?
(a) Bake some break for dinner that night.
(b) Admit that he isn't actually Elka's husband.
(c) See an herb doctor or healer, as something is wrong with Gimpel's head.
(d) Leave Elkaif he truely loves her.
5. After disposing of his vengence, what does Gimpel do when he returns home?
(a) Eats dinner.
(b) Go to bed.
(c) Contact the rabbi.
(d) Divide his hoarded money among the children.
6. Instead of God or an afterlife, what does the the person in Gimpel's dream say is there?
(a) A thick mire.
(c) Another life on earth.
(d) Eternal sleep.
7. After taking steps toward revenge, who does Gimpel see in a dream?
(b) His parents.
(d) The Spirit of Evil again.
8. If Gimpel follows through with his plan of vengeance, what does he fear he'll lose?
(a) His business.
(b) His wealth.
(c) Eternal life.
(d) His children.
9. How does Gimpel say he will meet death?
(a) With fear.
(c) With resentment.
10. After taking steps toward revenge, what does the second dream person tell Gimpel?
(a) He is a fool.
(b) He was always loved.
(c) He is stupid.
(d) He is evil.
11. By the time he is older, how has Gimpel's career progressed?
(a) He is the poorest baker in town.
(b) He became wealthy by selling off his children.
(c) He owns his own bakery and is considered to be a rich man.
(d) He has become a farmer.
12. Where does Gimpel go when he leaves Frampol?
(a) Into the world.
13. When Gimpel awakens after dreaming of Elka, what mementos does he have?
(a) The feel of Elka's lips and taste of her tears.
(b) Stray hairs from his children.
(c) Scratches from the Spirit of Evil.
(d) An ancient Torah by his bed of straw.
14. As Gimpel ages, what does he say he comes to understand?
(a) He has passed his test.
(b) He should've left his hometown long ago.
(c) Elka wronged him.
(d) There really are no lies.
15. In order to avoid a scandal, what does Gimpel do?
(a) Heads to the temple.
(b) Tells Elka to run away in the night.
(c) Breaks free of his constraints and ties up the "brother" instead.
(d) Calms Elka down.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "Gimpel the Fool"?
2. What does Elka confess on her deathbed?
3. What happens while Gimpel and Elka are separated?
4. What is wrong with Elka when she becomes ill?
5. What does the second person Gimpel dreams of say of the afterlife?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)