|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Gimpel blame for his vengeance?
(a) The townspeople.
2. Instead of God or an afterlife, what does the the person in Gimpel's dream say is there?
(a) Eternal sleep.
(b) A thick mire.
(d) Another life on earth.
3. What does Gimpel carry with him in his beggar's sack?
(a) His will.
(b) Death shrouds.
(c) A dradel.
(d) A wad of money.
4. By the time he is older, how has Gimpel's career progressed?
(a) He has become a farmer.
(b) He is the poorest baker in town.
(c) He became wealthy by selling off his children.
(d) He owns his own bakery and is considered to be a rich man.
5. After his dream in Chapter 4, what does Gimpel imagine the bread dough is saying to him?
(a) "Throw us at the Spirit of Evil!"
(b) "Do it!"
(c) "We will make good loaves tomorrow."
6. Why does Elka make her deathbed confession?
(a) She is hallucinating.
(b) She just thought Gimpel should know.
(c) She wants to go clean to her maker.
(d) She wants Gimpel to know he wasn't her true love.
7. What is wrong with Elka when she becomes ill?
(a) She has diabetes.
(b) There is a growth on her breast.
(c) She is old.
(d) She is insane.
8. After leaving Frampol, who does Gimpel see when he dreams?
(c) The Spirit of Evil.
(d) His children he left behind.
9. After her big confession to Gimpel, what does Elka do?
(a) She recovers.
(b) She falls asleep.
(c) She asks about the goat again.
(d) She dies.
10. Initially, what does Gimpel want to do to the Spirit of Evil?
(a) Tell him he doesn't exist.
(b) Ask him more questions.
(c) Worship him.
(d) Snatch him by the tail.
11. In order to avoid a scandal, what does Gimpel do?
(a) Breaks free of his constraints and ties up the "brother" instead.
(b) Heads to the temple.
(c) Calms Elka down.
(d) Tells Elka to run away in the night.
12. What does Gimpel do after Elka's death?
(b) Observe a period of mourning.
(c) Refuse to admit she has died.
13. When Gimpel returns home after months of being away, who does Gimpel see in the bed next to Elka?
(a) The Yanover rabbi.
(b) The baker.
(c) The apprentice.
(d) The farmer.
14. Where does Gimpel believe he cannot be deceived?
(a) On the road.
(b) The afterlife.
(c) In his dreams.
(d) In the pub.
15. Gimpel states that, "All kinds of things happened," but what else does he say about these events?
(a) He neither saw nor heard, simply believed.
(b) Because of these things he left Elka.
(c) He was angered by these events.
(d) They only happened in his mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does the apprentice give Gimpel?
2. While on her deathbed, what does Elka ask Gimpel to do?
3. As Gimpel ages, what does he say he comes to understand?
4. As the story ends, what is Gimpel about to do?
5. What is Gimpel told while he is dreaming on his travels?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)