|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Gimpel's reasoning in the resolution that he reached while separated from his wife?
(a) He will get revenge on the townspeople for making him marry Elka.
(b) If he is Christian he wont be harassed as much.
(c) What's the good of not believing? Today it's your wife you don't belive, tomorrow it's God.
(d) If he divorces Elka she will look like the fool.
2. After Gimpel and Elka's separation, why does Gimpel not want a scandal?
(a) He doesn't want to look foolish.
(b) He is tired of drama.
(c) He doesn't want people to think badly of Elka.
(d) People will accuse him of raising spooks and no one will want the bread he bakes.
3. After taking steps toward revenge, who does Gimpel see in a dream?
(b) His parents.
(d) The Spirit of Evil again.
4. When did Gimpel's opinion of the person who delivered bread to Elka for him change?
(a) After the apprentice started visiting the house.
(b) After the farmer grew vegetables for Elka.
(c) After the baker started visiting the house.
(d) After the rabbi said prayers for Elka.
5. As Gimpel ages, what does he say he comes to understand?
(a) He has passed his test.
(b) Elka wronged him.
(c) There really are no lies.
(d) He should've left his hometown long ago.
6. What is wrong with Elka when she becomes ill?
(a) She is old.
(b) She is insane.
(c) She has diabetes.
(d) There is a growth on her breast.
7. In order to avoid a scandal, what does Gimpel do?
(a) Heads to the temple.
(b) Tells Elka to run away in the night.
(c) Breaks free of his constraints and ties up the "brother" instead.
(d) Calms Elka down.
8. After her death, who does Elka think she has fooled?
(c) Her children.
9. Why does Elka make her deathbed confession?
(a) She wants to go clean to her maker.
(b) She just thought Gimpel should know.
(c) She wants Gimpel to know he wasn't her true love.
(d) She is hallucinating.
10. What does Gimpel tell the Rabbi he actually saw by Elka in his bed?
(a) Nothing--he made it all up.
(b) The shadow of a beam.
(c) A lump of pillows.
(d) A hallucination.
11. If Gimpel follows through with his plan of vengeance, what does he fear he'll lose?
(a) His children.
(b) His business.
(c) His wealth.
(d) Eternal life.
12. How much time passed before the rabbis could come to a decision regarding Gimpel's situation?
(a) Nine months.
(b) Six years.
(c) Nine years.
(d) Six months.
13. What does Gimpel do after Elka's death?
(b) Refuse to admit she has died.
(c) Observe a period of mourning.
14. How long does Gimpel live with Elka?
(a) Fifty years.
(b) Two months.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) A century.
15. If Gimpel follows the advice given to him by the dream person, what does he fear?
(a) Shame of being found out.
(b) Elka's wrath.
(c) Losing his business.
(d) Judgment in the world to come.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Spirit of Evil look like?
2. In order to right his wrongfully attempted vengeance, what does Gimpel do?
3. How had Gimpel felt previously about the person who brought Elka the food and money from Gimpel?
4. When Gimpel has returned home after being separated and he has completed Elka's errand, what does he ask her?
5. After leaving Frampol, where does Gimpel go when he dreams?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)