|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the final expression on Elka's face after she confesses to Gimpel?
(a) Her mouth is agape.
(b) She is frowning.
(c) She is smiling.
(d) She drops a single tear.
2. What does Gimpel carry with him in his beggar's sack?
(a) A wad of money.
(b) His will.
(c) Death shrouds.
(d) A dradel.
3. What does Gimpel tell the Rabbi he actually saw by Elka in his bed?
(a) A hallucination.
(b) A lump of pillows.
(c) The shadow of a beam.
(d) Nothing--he made it all up.
4. How much time passed before the rabbis could come to a decision regarding Gimpel's situation?
(a) Six months.
(b) Six years.
(c) Nine months.
(d) Nine years.
5. What does the second person Gimpel dreams of say of the afterlife?
(a) "I am so happy!"
(b) "I am in limbo."
(c) "They spare you nothing here."
(d) "Dante was right."
6. At the end of the story, how does Gimpel say the afterlife will be?
(a) A relief.
(b) A craps shoot.
(c) Real, without ridicule, complication or deception.
(d) A burning pit just as the Spirit of Evil said.
7. Where does Gimpel go when he leaves Frampol?
(a) Into the world.
8. What advice does the apprentice give Gimpel?
(a) Watch out for the farmer for he wants Elka.
(b) The baker will be mad if Gimpel sends Elka too much food.
(c) Ignore the townspeople and their long-tongued babble.
(d) If he prays with Elka their marriage will beome stronger.
9. Even though Gimpel has not seen his wife, what does he do to celebrate the event that occurred while the couple was separated?
(a) Divorces Elka.
(b) Invoke a blessing for the baby boy and name him.
(c) Invoke a blessing on the baby girl and name her.
(d) Skips the period of mourning.
10. What happens while Gimpel and Elka are separated?
(a) Gimpel meets someone else.
(b) Elka gives birth to a baby girl.
(c) Elka dies.
(d) Elka gives birth to a boy.
11. At the end of Elka's life, what does Gimpel spend a fortune on?
(a) Healers and doctors for Elka.
(b) Expensive clothing and housewares.
(c) Toys for his children.
12. What does Elka tell Gimpel to do as soon as she sees him in the house?
(a) Go back to the bakery.
(b) Lay next to her.
(c) Check on the goat.
(d) Tell the children he is back.
13. As the story ends, what is Gimpel about to do?
14. After Elka's death, who appears to Gimpel while he is sleeping?
(a) The baker.
(c) The Spirit of Evil.
(d) The rabbi.
15. What is wrong with Elka when she becomes ill?
(a) She is insane.
(b) She is old.
(c) She has diabetes.
(d) There is a growth on her breast.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Gimpel use to send Elka food?
2. What is Gimpel's reasoning in the resolution that he reached while separated from his wife?
3. Gimpel states that, "All kinds of things happened," but what else does he say about these events?
4. When the rabbi sends for Gimpel, after a long separation from Elka, what does the rabbi ask?
5. What does the Spirit of Evil look like?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)