|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gimpel feel on his way home at night after work?
(a) Regretful he didn't get a divorce.
(c) So excited he feels like singing.
(d) Like he has a fever.
2. Who does Gimpel use to send Elka food?
(a) The baker.
(b) The rabbis.
(c) The apprentice.
(d) The farmer.
3. What does the person Gimpel confronts tell Gimpel to do?
(a) Leave Elkaif he truely loves her.
(b) Bake some break for dinner that night.
(c) See an herb doctor or healer, as something is wrong with Gimpel's head.
(d) Admit that he isn't actually Elka's husband.
4. Does GImpel let himself be persuaded to do what his dream suggests?
(d) He can't remember.
5. Why does Elka make her deathbed confession?
(a) She is hallucinating.
(b) She wants to go clean to her maker.
(c) She wants Gimpel to know he wasn't her true love.
(d) She just thought Gimpel should know.
6. What ultimately happens to Elka?
(a) She runs off.
(b) She goes insane.
(c) She leaves Gimpel.
(d) She becomes ill.
7. Who does Gimpel blame for his vengeance?
(c) The townspeople.
8. In order to right his wrongfully attempted vengeance, what does Gimpel do?
(a) Return the food he has stolen.
(b) Bury the tainted bread.
(d) Clean the sidewalk.
9. At the end of Elka's life, what does Gimpel spend a fortune on?
(b) Expensive clothing and housewares.
(c) Healers and doctors for Elka.
(d) Toys for his children.
10. When the rabbi sends for Gimpel, after a long separation from Elka, what does the rabbi ask?
(a) If Gimpel is ready to divorce Elka.
(b) If Gimpel has been praying enough.
(c) If Gimpel is sure he was wrong about his wife.
(d) If Gimpel is ready to marry someone else.
11. What does Elka confess on her deathbed?
(a) She has never loved Gimpel.
(b) Their children are not Gimpel's.
(c) She doesn't believe in God.
(d) She has always loved Gimpel.
12. What is Gimpel told while he is dreaming on his travels?
(a) He mustn't stray from Judaism.
(b) All is right and death is nearer then far.
(c) He will be tempted by the Spirit of Evil.
(d) Everyone misses him at home.
13. What is Gimpel told to do for revenge against the townspeople?
(a) Defecate on the sidewalk.
(b) Steal food from the townspeople.
(c) Urinate in the bread.
(d) Spit in the bread.
14. After disposing of his vengence, what does Gimpel do when he returns home?
(a) Go to bed.
(b) Divide his hoarded money among the children.
(c) Contact the rabbi.
(d) Eats dinner.
15. Where does Gimpel go when he leaves Frampol?
(a) Into the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elka tell Gimpel to do as soon as she sees him in the house?
2. What is Gimpel resolved to do while he is separated from Elka?
3. After taking steps toward revenge, who does Gimpel see in a dream?
4. At the end of the story, what does Gimpel say about the world we live in?
5. Who witnesses Gimpel right his wrong?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)