|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gimpel survive after leaving Frampol?
(a) By scamming people.
(b) Through good people who do not neglect him.
(c) By sheepherding.
(d) Through the help of the synagogue.
2. In order to avoid a scandal, what does Gimpel do?
(a) Heads to the temple.
(b) Calms Elka down.
(c) Breaks free of his constraints and ties up the "brother" instead.
(d) Tells Elka to run away in the night.
3. Why does Elka make her deathbed confession?
(a) She wants to go clean to her maker.
(b) She wants Gimpel to know he wasn't her true love.
(c) She is hallucinating.
(d) She just thought Gimpel should know.
4. What is Gimpel told while he is dreaming on his travels?
(a) He mustn't stray from Judaism.
(b) He will be tempted by the Spirit of Evil.
(c) All is right and death is nearer then far.
(d) Everyone misses him at home.
5. What does Gimpel tell the Rabbi he actually saw by Elka in his bed?
(a) The shadow of a beam.
(b) Nothing--he made it all up.
(c) A hallucination.
(d) A lump of pillows.
6. What is Gimpel told to do for revenge against the townspeople?
(a) Steal food from the townspeople.
(b) Spit in the bread.
(c) Defecate on the sidewalk.
(d) Urinate in the bread.
7. As Gimpel ages, what does he say he comes to understand?
(a) He has passed his test.
(b) There really are no lies.
(c) Elka wronged him.
(d) He should've left his hometown long ago.
8. While on her deathbed, what does Elka ask Gimpel to do?
(a) Forgive her.
(b) Take care of his children.
(c) Make sure she is cremated.
(d) Check on the goat one last time.
9. What does Gimpel do during his travels?
(a) Bake bread.
(b) Sleep a lot.
(c) Spin yarns (tell stories).
(d) Beg for money and drink ale.
10. What does the person in Gimpel's dream say about God?
(a) God is weak.
(b) They are enemies.
(c) There is no God.
(d) They are friends.
11. After taking steps toward revenge, what does the second dream person tell Gimpel?
(a) He is evil.
(b) He was always loved.
(c) He is a fool.
(d) He is stupid.
12. When Gimpel tells the children that he saw their dead mother, how do they react?
(a) They ask Gimpel to tell them more.
(b) They are astounded and can't speak.
(c) They become angry at his falsehood.
(d) They drop to their knees in prayer.
13. How many children did Elka bear Gimpel?
14. Does GImpel let himself be persuaded to do what his dream suggests?
(c) He can't remember.
15. What does the rabbi tell Gimpel he can do regarding his marriage?
(a) Go ahead with the divorce.
(b) Go home.
(c) Go back to the bakery.
(d) Go to the synagogue.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ultimately happens to Elka?
2. When the second dream person appears to Gimpel, what do they look like?
3. How does Gimpel feel on his way home at night after work?
4. What is wrong with Elka when she becomes ill?
5. What does the Spirit of Evil look like?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)