|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Gimpel has returned home after being separated and he has completed Elka's errand, what does he ask her?
(a) How she has been.
(b) If she missed him.
(c) Where the apprentice went.
(d) Why the kids aren't in bed.
2. What is Gimpel's reasoning in the resolution that he reached while separated from his wife?
(a) If he divorces Elka she will look like the fool.
(b) What's the good of not believing? Today it's your wife you don't belive, tomorrow it's God.
(c) If he is Christian he wont be harassed as much.
(d) He will get revenge on the townspeople for making him marry Elka.
3. Who does Gimpel blame for his vengeance?
(a) The townspeople.
4. What happens while Gimpel and Elka are separated?
(a) Elka dies.
(b) Gimpel meets someone else.
(c) Elka gives birth to a boy.
(d) Elka gives birth to a baby girl.
5. What does the second person Gimpel dreams of say of the afterlife?
(a) "They spare you nothing here."
(b) "I am so happy!"
(c) "Dante was right."
(d) "I am in limbo."
6. If Gimpel follows the advice given to him by the dream person, what does he fear?
(a) Losing his business.
(b) Elka's wrath.
(c) Shame of being found out.
(d) Judgment in the world to come.
7. At the end of the story, what does Gimpel say about the world we live in?
(a) It is hell.
(b) It is imaginary and once removed.
(c) It is in fact heaven.
(d) It is the work of the Spirit of Evil.
8. After her death, who does Elka think she has fooled?
(a) Her children.
9. Who does Gimpel use to send Elka food?
(a) The farmer.
(b) The baker.
(c) The apprentice.
(d) The rabbis.
10. As the story ends, what is Gimpel about to do?
11. What does the delivery person say about Gimpel's family?
(a) Gimpel's family doesn't deserve all the food that Gimpel sends.
(b) Gimpel has a decent wife and two fine kids that he doesn't deserve.
(c) Gimpel's family is too small.
(d) Gimpel's family smells bad.
12. In order to avoid a scandal, what does Gimpel do?
(a) Calms Elka down.
(b) Tells Elka to run away in the night.
(c) Breaks free of his constraints and ties up the "brother" instead.
(d) Heads to the temple.
13. Does GImpel let himself be persuaded to do what his dream suggests?
(b) He can't remember.
14. After disposing of his vengence, what does Gimpel do when he returns home?
(a) Eats dinner.
(b) Contact the rabbi.
(c) Divide his hoarded money among the children.
(d) Go to bed.
15. While appearing to Gimpel in a dream, what does this dream person say to Gimpel?
(a) Since the whole world deceives Gimpel, he should deceive the world in return.
(b) Gimpel is bound for hell.
(c) Gimpel should repent.
(d) Elka yearns for Gimpel in the afterlife.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Gimpel tells the children that he saw their dead mother, how do they react?
2. How many children did Elka bear Gimpel?
3. What ultimately happens to Elka?
4. After Gimpel and Elka's separation, why does Gimpel not want a scandal?
5. After leaving Frampol, where does Gimpel go when he dreams?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)