|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Gimpel told he owes thanks to?
(a) The baker.
(b) The Yanover rabbi.
(c) The farmer.
2. When Gimpel returns home after months of being away, who does Gimpel see in the bed next to Elka?
(a) The apprentice.
(b) The farmer.
(c) The Yanover rabbi.
(d) The baker.
3. How long does Gimpel live with Elka?
(a) A century.
(b) Twenty years.
(c) Fifty years.
(d) Two months.
4. As the story ends, what is Gimpel about to do?
5. What is Gimpel resolved to do while he is separated from Elka?
(a) Burn down the city.
(b) Always believe what he is told.
(c) Divorce Elka.
(d) Become a Christian.
6. Does GImpel let himself be persuaded to do what his dream suggests?
(c) He can't remember.
7. Where does Gimpel go when he leaves Frampol?
(a) Into the world.
8. Gimpel states that, "All kinds of things happened," but what else does he say about these events?
(a) They only happened in his mind.
(b) He was angered by these events.
(c) He neither saw nor heard, simply believed.
(d) Because of these things he left Elka.
9. The morning after Gimpel has returned home from a long separation from Elka, who does Gimpel confront?
(b) The rabbi.
(c) The apprentice.
(d) The "brother."
10. At the end of the story, how does Gimpel say the afterlife will be?
(a) A craps shoot.
(b) A burning pit just as the Spirit of Evil said.
(c) A relief.
(d) Real, without ridicule, complication or deception.
11. Where does Gimpel believe he cannot be deceived?
(a) In the pub.
(b) The afterlife.
(c) In his dreams.
(d) On the road.
12. While appearing to Gimpel in a dream, what does this dream person say to Gimpel?
(a) Elka yearns for Gimpel in the afterlife.
(b) Since the whole world deceives Gimpel, he should deceive the world in return.
(c) Gimpel should repent.
(d) Gimpel is bound for hell.
13. How does Gimpel feel on his way home at night after work?
(a) Regretful he didn't get a divorce.
(b) So excited he feels like singing.
(d) Like he has a fever.
14. After GImpel has returned from checking on the goat, how does Elka respond to Gimpel's questions?
(a) She smothers him in kisses.
(b) She sobs.
(c) Acts like she doesn't know what he's talking about.
(d) She tells Gimpel the children always stay up late.
15. What does Gimpel tell Elka on her deathbed?
(a) He knows she has done him wrong and will never forgive her.
(b) There is nothing to forgive, and that Elka has been a good and faithful wife.
(c) She will not be cremated but buried.
(d) The goat is fine and not to worry.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving Frampol, how does Gimpel always envision Elka?
2. After Gimpel and Elka's separation, why does Gimpel not want a scandal?
3. Even though Gimpel has not seen his wife, what does he do to celebrate the event that occurred while the couple was separated?
4. Who translated "Gimpel the Fool"?
5. How had Gimpel felt previously about the person who brought Elka the food and money from Gimpel?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)