|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of the story, what does Gimpel say about the world we live in?
(a) It is imaginary and once removed.
(b) It is in fact heaven.
(c) It is the work of the Spirit of Evil.
(d) It is hell.
2. In order to right his wrongfully attempted vengeance, what does Gimpel do?
(a) Clean the sidewalk.
(b) Bury the tainted bread.
(d) Return the food he has stolen.
3. After leaving Frampol, how does Gimpel always envision Elka?
(a) In her wedding gown.
(b) As a devil.
(c) Standing by the washtub like their first encounter.
(d) As an angel but without wings.
4. How had Gimpel felt previously about the person who brought Elka the food and money from Gimpel?
(a) Gimpel had seen him as an annoyance.
(b) Gimpel had thought he was a busybody.
(c) Gimpel had thought he was a curmudgeon.
(d) Gimpel had seen him as a fellow fool.
5. How long does Gimpel live with Elka?
(a) Fifty years.
(b) Twenty years.
(c) A century.
(d) Two months.
6. The morning after Gimpel has returned home from a long separation from Elka, who does Gimpel confront?
(a) The "brother."
(b) The apprentice.
(c) The rabbi.
7. When Gimpel has returned home after being separated and he has completed Elka's errand, what does he ask her?
(a) Where the apprentice went.
(b) Why the kids aren't in bed.
(c) How she has been.
(d) If she missed him.
8. Who is the author of "Gimpel the Fool"?
(a) Judy Bloom.
(b) Saul Bellow.
(c) Isaac Mizrahi.
(d) Isaac Bashevis Singer.
9. On the night of Gimpel's return after a lengthy separation, what does Elka's "brother" do to Gimpel?
(a) Yells at Gimpel to leave.
(b) Jump from behind the oven and strikes him on the head.
(c) Ties Gimpel up and threatens to kill him.
(d) Hugs him and tells him he's glad Gimpel's home.
10. How many children did Elka bear Gimpel?
11. After her death, who does Elka think she has fooled?
(c) Her children.
12. What ultimately happens to Elka?
(a) She runs off.
(b) She goes insane.
(c) She becomes ill.
(d) She leaves Gimpel.
13. When Gimpel tells the children that he saw their dead mother, how do they react?
(a) They are astounded and can't speak.
(b) They drop to their knees in prayer.
(c) They ask Gimpel to tell them more.
(d) They become angry at his falsehood.
14. What does the person in Gimpel's dream say about God?
(a) They are enemies.
(b) They are friends.
(c) God is weak.
(d) There is no God.
15. When did Gimpel's opinion of the person who delivered bread to Elka for him change?
(a) After the rabbi said prayers for Elka.
(b) After the farmer grew vegetables for Elka.
(c) After the apprentice started visiting the house.
(d) After the baker started visiting the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the second person Gimpel dreams of say of the afterlife?
2. When the rabbi sends for Gimpel, after a long separation from Elka, what does the rabbi ask?
3. At the end of Elka's life, what does Gimpel spend a fortune on?
4. After disposing of his vengence, what does Gimpel do when he returns home?
5. What does Elka confess on her deathbed?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)