|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gimpel describe the person who brings food to Elka?
(a) As a bum.
(b) As a goodhearted lad.
(c) As a thief.
(d) As a curmudgeon.
2. At the end of Elka's life, what does Gimpel spend a fortune on?
(b) Expensive clothing and housewares.
(c) Toys for his children.
(d) Healers and doctors for Elka.
3. In order to avoid a scandal, what does Gimpel do?
(a) Heads to the temple.
(b) Calms Elka down.
(c) Tells Elka to run away in the night.
(d) Breaks free of his constraints and ties up the "brother" instead.
4. What does Elka confess on her deathbed?
(a) She doesn't believe in God.
(b) Their children are not Gimpel's.
(c) She has never loved Gimpel.
(d) She has always loved Gimpel.
5. After taking steps toward revenge, who does Gimpel see in a dream?
(a) The Spirit of Evil again.
(b) His parents.
6. What does the rabbi tell Gimpel he can do regarding his marriage?
(a) Go back to the bakery.
(b) Go home.
(c) Go to the synagogue.
(d) Go ahead with the divorce.
7. Initially, what does Gimpel want to do to the Spirit of Evil?
(a) Snatch him by the tail.
(b) Tell him he doesn't exist.
(c) Worship him.
(d) Ask him more questions.
8. How much time passed before the rabbis could come to a decision regarding Gimpel's situation?
(a) Nine months.
(b) Nine years.
(c) Six years.
(d) Six months.
9. What is Gimpel told to do for revenge against the townspeople?
(a) Urinate in the bread.
(b) Spit in the bread.
(c) Defecate on the sidewalk.
(d) Steal food from the townspeople.
10. Who does Gimpel use to send Elka food?
(a) The baker.
(b) The apprentice.
(c) The rabbis.
(d) The farmer.
11. How had Gimpel felt previously about the person who brought Elka the food and money from Gimpel?
(a) Gimpel had seen him as a fellow fool.
(b) Gimpel had thought he was a busybody.
(c) Gimpel had seen him as an annoyance.
(d) Gimpel had thought he was a curmudgeon.
12. What does Gimpel carry with him in his beggar's sack?
(a) A wad of money.
(b) A dradel.
(c) Death shrouds.
(d) His will.
13. Who translated "Gimpel the Fool"?
(a) Maya Angelou.
(b) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(c) Saul Bellow.
(d) Isaac Bashevis Singer.
14. Where does Gimpel believe he cannot be deceived?
(a) The afterlife.
(b) On the road.
(c) In his dreams.
(d) In the pub.
15. After his dream in Chapter 4, what does Gimpel imagine the bread dough is saying to him?
(a) "We will make good loaves tomorrow."
(b) "Throw us at the Spirit of Evil!"
(c) "Do it!"
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gimpel's reasoning in the resolution that he reached while separated from his wife?
2. How does Gimpel feel on his way home at night after work?
3. What does Elka tell Gimpel to do as soon as she sees him in the house?
4. What is the final expression on Elka's face after she confesses to Gimpel?
5. What advice does the apprentice give Gimpel?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)