|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elka tell Gimpel to do as soon as she sees him in the house?
(a) Go back to the bakery.
(b) Check on the goat.
(c) Tell the children he is back.
(d) Lay next to her.
2. How many children did Elka bear Gimpel?
3. What advice does the apprentice give Gimpel?
(a) If he prays with Elka their marriage will beome stronger.
(b) Watch out for the farmer for he wants Elka.
(c) Ignore the townspeople and their long-tongued babble.
(d) The baker will be mad if Gimpel sends Elka too much food.
4. As Gimpel ages, what does he say he comes to understand?
(a) There really are no lies.
(b) Elka wronged him.
(c) He has passed his test.
(d) He should've left his hometown long ago.
5. Why does Elka make her deathbed confession?
(a) She wants Gimpel to know he wasn't her true love.
(b) She wants to go clean to her maker.
(c) She just thought Gimpel should know.
(d) She is hallucinating.
6. What does Elka confess on her deathbed?
(a) She doesn't believe in God.
(b) She has never loved Gimpel.
(c) She has always loved Gimpel.
(d) Their children are not Gimpel's.
7. What ultimately happens to Elka?
(a) She runs off.
(b) She leaves Gimpel.
(c) She becomes ill.
(d) She goes insane.
8. Who does Gimpel use to send Elka food?
(a) The apprentice.
(b) The farmer.
(c) The rabbis.
(d) The baker.
9. If Gimpel follows the advice given to him by the dream person, what does he fear?
(a) Judgment in the world to come.
(b) Elka's wrath.
(c) Shame of being found out.
(d) Losing his business.
10. After her big confession to Gimpel, what does Elka do?
(a) She dies.
(b) She asks about the goat again.
(c) She recovers.
(d) She falls asleep.
11. In order to right his wrongfully attempted vengeance, what does Gimpel do?
(b) Bury the tainted bread.
(c) Return the food he has stolen.
(d) Clean the sidewalk.
12. What is the final expression on Elka's face after she confesses to Gimpel?
(a) Her mouth is agape.
(b) She drops a single tear.
(c) She is frowning.
(d) She is smiling.
13. Where does Gimpel believe he cannot be deceived?
(a) The afterlife.
(b) In his dreams.
(c) In the pub.
(d) On the road.
14. In order to avoid a scandal, what does Gimpel do?
(a) Calms Elka down.
(b) Tells Elka to run away in the night.
(c) Heads to the temple.
(d) Breaks free of his constraints and ties up the "brother" instead.
15. If Gimpel follows through with his plan of vengeance, what does he fear he'll lose?
(a) His children.
(b) His business.
(c) His wealth.
(d) Eternal life.
Short Answer Questions
1. Initially, what does Gimpel want to do to the Spirit of Evil?
2. How does Gimpel feel on his way home at night after work?
3. What does the person Gimpel confronts tell Gimpel to do?
4. Who translated "Gimpel the Fool"?
5. When Gimpel returns home after months of being away, who does Gimpel see in the bed next to Elka?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)