|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After taking steps toward revenge, what does the second dream person tell Gimpel?
(a) He is stupid.
(b) He is evil.
(c) He was always loved.
(d) He is a fool.
2. Who does Gimpel blame for his vengeance?
(d) The townspeople.
3. In order to avoid a scandal, what does Gimpel do?
(a) Breaks free of his constraints and ties up the "brother" instead.
(b) Heads to the temple.
(c) Tells Elka to run away in the night.
(d) Calms Elka down.
4. If Gimpel follows the advice given to him by the dream person, what does he fear?
(a) Judgment in the world to come.
(b) Shame of being found out.
(c) Elka's wrath.
(d) Losing his business.
5. What does Gimpel do during his travels?
(a) Spin yarns (tell stories).
(b) Sleep a lot.
(c) Bake bread.
(d) Beg for money and drink ale.
6. When the second dream person appears to Gimpel, what do they look like?
(a) Like a skeleton.
(b) Shrouded with a black face.
(c) Happy and healthy.
7. While on her deathbed, what does Elka ask Gimpel to do?
(a) Forgive her.
(b) Make sure she is cremated.
(c) Take care of his children.
(d) Check on the goat one last time.
8. How does Gimpel describe the person who brings food to Elka?
(a) As a curmudgeon.
(b) As a bum.
(c) As a thief.
(d) As a goodhearted lad.
9. After Gimpel reiterates what he saw in his bed when he returned home after their separation, what does Elka do?
(a) Sends him out to look at the goat again.
(b) Yells and says an evil spirit has taken root inside Gimpel and dazzles his sight.
(c) Beg for forgiveness.
(d) Admit her wrongdoing.
10. What is wrong with Elka when she becomes ill?
(a) She is old.
(b) She is insane.
(c) She has diabetes.
(d) There is a growth on her breast.
11. What was the original language of "Gimpel the Fool"?
12. At the end of Elka's life, what does Gimpel spend a fortune on?
(a) Expensive clothing and housewares.
(b) Healers and doctors for Elka.
(c) Toys for his children.
13. What does Gimpel tell the children to do before he leaves town?
(a) Remember him well.
(b) Pray for their mother.
(c) Forget him.
(d) Start their own businesses.
14. What does Elka confess on her deathbed?
(a) She has always loved Gimpel.
(b) She has never loved Gimpel.
(c) She doesn't believe in God.
(d) Their children are not Gimpel's.
15. After GImpel has returned from checking on the goat, how does Elka respond to Gimpel's questions?
(a) She sobs.
(b) Acts like she doesn't know what he's talking about.
(c) She smothers him in kisses.
(d) She tells Gimpel the children always stay up late.
Short Answer Questions
1. In order to right his wrongfully attempted vengeance, what does Gimpel do?
2. As the story ends, what is Gimpel about to do?
3. When did Gimpel's opinion of the person who delivered bread to Elka for him change?
4. What does Gimpel carry with him in his beggar's sack?
5. What does the Spirit of Evil look like?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)