|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens while Gimpel and Elka are separated?
(a) Elka gives birth to a boy.
(b) Elka dies.
(c) Gimpel meets someone else.
(d) Elka gives birth to a baby girl.
2. Who witnesses Gimpel right his wrong?
(a) The farmer.
(b) The apprentice.
(c) His children.
(d) The baker.
3. After taking steps toward revenge, what does the second dream person tell Gimpel?
(a) He is a fool.
(b) He was always loved.
(c) He is evil.
(d) He is stupid.
4. Who does Gimpel blame for his vengeance?
(d) The townspeople.
5. After taking steps toward revenge, who does Gimpel see in a dream?
(a) The Spirit of Evil again.
(c) His parents.
6. What does Gimpel tell the Rabbi he actually saw by Elka in his bed?
(a) A hallucination.
(b) A lump of pillows.
(c) The shadow of a beam.
(d) Nothing--he made it all up.
7. Even though Gimpel has not seen his wife, what does he do to celebrate the event that occurred while the couple was separated?
(a) Invoke a blessing on the baby girl and name her.
(b) Skips the period of mourning.
(c) Invoke a blessing for the baby boy and name him.
(d) Divorces Elka.
8. When did Gimpel's opinion of the person who delivered bread to Elka for him change?
(a) After the baker started visiting the house.
(b) After the farmer grew vegetables for Elka.
(c) After the apprentice started visiting the house.
(d) After the rabbi said prayers for Elka.
9. How many children did Elka bear Gimpel?
10. What ultimately happens to Elka?
(a) She runs off.
(b) She leaves Gimpel.
(c) She becomes ill.
(d) She goes insane.
11. How does Gimpel describe the person who brings food to Elka?
(a) As a curmudgeon.
(b) As a goodhearted lad.
(c) As a thief.
(d) As a bum.
12. Where does Gimpel believe he cannot be deceived?
(a) On the road.
(b) In his dreams.
(c) The afterlife.
(d) In the pub.
13. How do townspeople react to Gimpel's actions regarding the event that occurred while the couple was separated?
(a) They threw a party.
(b) They didn't react for they they had stopped caring.
(c) They were angry.
(d) They refreshed their spirits.
14. After leaving Frampol, how does Gimpel always envision Elka?
(a) As an angel but without wings.
(b) Standing by the washtub like their first encounter.
(c) In her wedding gown.
(d) As a devil.
15. What do the children of the world call Gimpel?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Spirit of Evil look like?
2. How does Gimpel survive after leaving Frampol?
3. After Gimpel and Elka's separation, why does Gimpel not want a scandal?
4. What does Elka tell Gimpel to do as soon as she sees him in the house?
5. What was the original language of "Gimpel the Fool"?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)