|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Elka's life, what does Gimpel spend a fortune on?
(a) Healers and doctors for Elka.
(b) Expensive clothing and housewares.
(c) Toys for his children.
2. How do townspeople react to Gimpel's actions regarding the event that occurred while the couple was separated?
(a) They were angry.
(b) They didn't react for they they had stopped caring.
(c) They threw a party.
(d) They refreshed their spirits.
3. After leaving Frampol, how does Gimpel always envision Elka?
(a) As an angel but without wings.
(b) Standing by the washtub like their first encounter.
(c) As a devil.
(d) In her wedding gown.
4. What does the person Gimpel confronts tell Gimpel to do?
(a) Bake some break for dinner that night.
(b) Admit that he isn't actually Elka's husband.
(c) See an herb doctor or healer, as something is wrong with Gimpel's head.
(d) Leave Elkaif he truely loves her.
5. When did Gimpel's opinion of the person who delivered bread to Elka for him change?
(a) After the apprentice started visiting the house.
(b) After the farmer grew vegetables for Elka.
(c) After the rabbi said prayers for Elka.
(d) After the baker started visiting the house.
6. When Gimpel has returned home after being separated and he has completed Elka's errand, what does he ask her?
(a) How she has been.
(b) Where the apprentice went.
(c) If she missed him.
(d) Why the kids aren't in bed.
7. What does Elka confess on her deathbed?
(a) She has always loved Gimpel.
(b) She doesn't believe in God.
(c) She has never loved Gimpel.
(d) Their children are not Gimpel's.
8. How does Gimpel say he will meet death?
(b) With fear.
(d) With resentment.
9. After leaving Frampol, where does Gimpel go when he dreams?
(d) Into the sky.
10. How does Gimpel feel on his way home at night after work?
(b) Regretful he didn't get a divorce.
(c) Like he has a fever.
(d) So excited he feels like singing.
11. In order to right his wrongfully attempted vengeance, what does Gimpel do?
(b) Return the food he has stolen.
(c) Bury the tainted bread.
(d) Clean the sidewalk.
12. What happens while Gimpel and Elka are separated?
(a) Gimpel meets someone else.
(b) Elka gives birth to a boy.
(c) Elka dies.
(d) Elka gives birth to a baby girl.
13. Who does Gimpel blame for his vengeance?
(d) The townspeople.
14. After leaving Frampol, who does Gimpel see when he dreams?
(b) The Spirit of Evil.
(d) His children he left behind.
15. When Gimpel awakens after dreaming of Elka, what mementos does he have?
(a) The feel of Elka's lips and taste of her tears.
(b) Scratches from the Spirit of Evil.
(c) An ancient Torah by his bed of straw.
(d) Stray hairs from his children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gimpel do after Elka's death?
2. After her death, who does Elka think she has fooled?
3. What does Gimpel tell the Rabbi he actually saw by Elka in his bed?
4. What does Gimpel imagine Elka's expression says after she has passed away?
5. Who translated "Gimpel the Fool"?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)