|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Gimpel awakens after dreaming of Elka, what mementos does he have?
(a) Scratches from the Spirit of Evil.
(b) An ancient Torah by his bed of straw.
(c) Stray hairs from his children.
(d) The feel of Elka's lips and taste of her tears.
2. What was the original language of "Gimpel the Fool"?
3. In order to right his wrongfully attempted vengeance, what does Gimpel do?
(a) Return the food he has stolen.
(b) Bury the tainted bread.
(c) Clean the sidewalk.
4. After leaving Frampol, how does Gimpel always envision Elka?
(a) As an angel but without wings.
(b) In her wedding gown.
(c) Standing by the washtub like their first encounter.
(d) As a devil.
5. In order to avoid a scandal, what does Gimpel do?
(a) Heads to the temple.
(b) Tells Elka to run away in the night.
(c) Calms Elka down.
(d) Breaks free of his constraints and ties up the "brother" instead.
6. Even though Gimpel has not seen his wife, what does he do to celebrate the event that occurred while the couple was separated?
(a) Divorces Elka.
(b) Invoke a blessing on the baby girl and name her.
(c) Skips the period of mourning.
(d) Invoke a blessing for the baby boy and name him.
7. How does Gimpel feel on his way home at night after work?
(a) Like he has a fever.
(b) So excited he feels like singing.
(d) Regretful he didn't get a divorce.
8. What does the Spirit of Evil look like?
(b) A mound of flames.
9. When Gimpel tells the children that he saw their dead mother, how do they react?
(a) They become angry at his falsehood.
(b) They ask Gimpel to tell them more.
(c) They are astounded and can't speak.
(d) They drop to their knees in prayer.
10. After his dream in Chapter 4, what does Gimpel imagine the bread dough is saying to him?
(a) "Throw us at the Spirit of Evil!"
(b) "Do it!"
(d) "We will make good loaves tomorrow."
11. How many children did Elka bear Gimpel?
12. How does Gimpel describe the person who brings food to Elka?
(a) As a curmudgeon.
(b) As a thief.
(c) As a goodhearted lad.
(d) As a bum.
13. What ultimately happens to Elka?
(a) She leaves Gimpel.
(b) She becomes ill.
(c) She goes insane.
(d) She runs off.
14. At the end of the story, how does Gimpel say the afterlife will be?
(a) Real, without ridicule, complication or deception.
(b) A burning pit just as the Spirit of Evil said.
(c) A relief.
(d) A craps shoot.
15. How does Gimpel say he will meet death?
(a) With fear.
(d) With resentment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the rabbi tell Gimpel he can do regarding his marriage?
2. After her big confession to Gimpel, what does Elka do?
3. What advice does the apprentice give Gimpel?
4. What does Gimpel tell the children to do before he leaves town?
5. While on her deathbed, what does Elka ask Gimpel to do?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)