|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Gimpel use to send Elka food?
(a) The apprentice.
(b) The farmer.
(c) The rabbis.
(d) The baker.
2. Who does Gimpel blame for his vengeance?
(b) The townspeople.
3. As the story ends, what is Gimpel about to do?
4. What does Elka tell Gimpel to do as soon as she sees him in the house?
(a) Tell the children he is back.
(b) Go back to the bakery.
(c) Check on the goat.
(d) Lay next to her.
5. Who is the author of "Gimpel the Fool"?
(a) Saul Bellow.
(b) Judy Bloom.
(c) Isaac Bashevis Singer.
(d) Isaac Mizrahi.
6. After his dream in Chapter 4, what does Gimpel imagine the bread dough is saying to him?
(a) "Do it!"
(c) "We will make good loaves tomorrow."
(d) "Throw us at the Spirit of Evil!"
7. In order to avoid a scandal, what does Gimpel do?
(a) Heads to the temple.
(b) Breaks free of his constraints and ties up the "brother" instead.
(c) Calms Elka down.
(d) Tells Elka to run away in the night.
8. After her death, who does Elka think she has fooled?
(a) Her children.
9. By the time he is older, how has Gimpel's career progressed?
(a) He became wealthy by selling off his children.
(b) He has become a farmer.
(c) He is the poorest baker in town.
(d) He owns his own bakery and is considered to be a rich man.
10. What is Gimpel's reasoning in the resolution that he reached while separated from his wife?
(a) If he divorces Elka she will look like the fool.
(b) If he is Christian he wont be harassed as much.
(c) What's the good of not believing? Today it's your wife you don't belive, tomorrow it's God.
(d) He will get revenge on the townspeople for making him marry Elka.
11. What was the original language of "Gimpel the Fool"?
12. In order to right his wrongfully attempted vengeance, what does Gimpel do?
(b) Return the food he has stolen.
(c) Clean the sidewalk.
(d) Bury the tainted bread.
13. After leaving Frampol, where does Gimpel go when he dreams?
(c) Into the sky.
14. What do the children of the world call Gimpel?
15. What does the person Gimpel confronts tell Gimpel to do?
(a) See an herb doctor or healer, as something is wrong with Gimpel's head.
(b) Admit that he isn't actually Elka's husband.
(c) Bake some break for dinner that night.
(d) Leave Elkaif he truely loves her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does GImpel let himself be persuaded to do what his dream suggests?
2. Who witnesses Gimpel right his wrong?
3. What is Gimpel told to do for revenge against the townspeople?
4. How much time passed before the rabbis could come to a decision regarding Gimpel's situation?
5. What does the person in Gimpel's dream say about God?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)