|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Because of Gimpel's thieving, what happens to Elka?
(a) She becomes over-accessorized.
(b) She becomes fat and handsome.
(c) She becomes rich.
(d) She becomes the mother of the best-dressed baby in the land.
2. Gimpel is what?
(b) Overweight child.
(d) Audio Assistant.
3. Does Gimpel believe Elka's story about the child?
(c) Yes, but he knows he can't tell fact from fiction, so really no.
(d) He isn't sure.
4. Who is the narrator of the story?
(c) The Spirit of Evil.
(d) The rabbi.
5. What is Elka's response to Gimpel's evidence that the child is not his?
(a) The child is his; it was just a premature birth.
(b) She reiterates that Gimpel knew she was pregnant before he married her.
(c) The child has Gimpel's nose.
(d) Gimpel was wrong about being infertile.
6. What is Gimpel's nickname?
(a) Gimpel the Dunce.
(b) Gimpel the Butthead.
(c) Gimpel the Fool.
(d) Gimpel the Stupid.
7. What wedding gift made Gimpel suspicious?
(a) A Bible.
(c) A shovel and a set of knives.
(d) A crib.
8. Who beats up on Gimpel?
(b) Elka's "little brother"/bastard.
(c) The baker.
(d) The townspeople.
9. What does Gimpel say most men would do in his situation?
(a) Sleep more.
(b) Work more.
(c) Demand more sex from his wife.
(d) Take French leave and disappear.
10. When presented with accusations of infidelity, what does Elka do?
(a) Admits her wrong-doings.
(b) Denies them and claims Gimpel is crazy.
(c) Leaves the room.
(d) Stands silent.
11. What is the first thing Gimpel says about himself?
(a) He doesn't think himself worthy of life.
(b) He thinks himself a fool.
(c) He doesn't think himself a fool.
(d) He thinks himself handsome.
12. Why does Gimpel have to live with someone other than his parents?
(a) Both of his parents died.
(b) He didn't like his parents.
(c) He was a bad child.
(d) His dad died and his mother didn't want him.
13. What does a mid-week event allow Gimpel to do?
(a) Go home to sleep in his own bed.
(b) Get a new job.
(c) Admit to his thieving.
(d) Leave Elka and marry someone else.
14. Who is the child named after?
(a) Gimpel's mother.
(b) Elka's mother.
(c) Elka's father.
(d) Gimpel's father.
15. The morning after talking with the Rabbi, where does Gimpel go?
(a) To another town.
(b) To see the Rabbi again.
(c) To see the baker.
(d) To see Elka.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens on Gimpel and Elka's wedding night?
2. What does Gimpel steal for Elka?
3. When Gimpel hints that Elka has fooled him, how does Elka respond?
4. What is happening as Gimpel walks to Elka's house?
5. What does Gimpel do while Elka is in childbirth?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)