|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Gimpel's profession?
2. Who follows Gimpel to Elka's house?
(a) The Baker.
(b) The townspeople.
(c) The Rabbi.
(d) Gimpel's parents.
3. After rationalizing Elka's behavior, what does Gimpel begin to agree with Elka on?
(a) That Gimpel is a fool.
(b) That the baby is his.
(c) That Gimpel was hallucinating.
(d) That the sky is green.
4. What is Gimpel's defense against being called foolish?
(a) He can't tell when people are kidding.
(b) Everything is possible.
(c) He is stupid.
(d) He likes jokes.
5. Traditionally, what were husbands supposed to do while their wives were in childbirth?
(a) Hold the wife's hand while she screamed.
(b) Wait outside the birthing quarters and pray.
(c) Visit the House of Prayer and repeat psalms.
(d) Visit the Rabbi.
6. Who is the child named after?
(a) Gimpel's father.
(b) Gimpel's mother.
(c) Elka's mother.
(d) Elka's father.
7. After hearing of Elka's infidelity, what does the Rabbi tell Gimpel to do?
(a) Divorce Elka.
(b) Move to another town.
(c) Kill Elka.
(d) Forgive Elka.
8. What does Gimpel do while Elka is in childbirth?
(a) Visits the House of Prayer and repeats psalms.
(b) Visits the Rabbi.
(c) Waits outside the birthing quarters and prays.
(d) Holds Elka's hand while she screams.
9. What is Gimpel's response to Elka's wedding night claims?
(a) He has a headache too.
(b) He likes the idea of having two houses.
(c) Elka had the ritual bath yesterday, which happens after her monthly is over.
(d) He is resolute on being celibate.
10. Who is the third person that Gimpel has to live with?
(a) The Baker.
(b) The Farmer.
(c) The Rabbi.
11. When Gimpel bluntly states that Elka has borne a bastard, what does Elka claim?
(a) The child is a miracle from God.
(b) Gimpel is the father.
(c) She has borne the new Jesus.
(d) Gimpel knew she was pregnant when he married her.
12. What advice is given to Gimpel regarding Elka's explanation about the child?
(a) Premature births do happen, so Gimpel should be grateful the child lived.
(b) God makes miracles every day.
(c) The same thing happened to Adam and Eve, and every woman is a descendant of Eve.
(d) Elka is a liar and he should already know that the child is not his.
13. What does a mid-week event allow Gimpel to do?
(a) Admit to his thieving.
(b) Go home to sleep in his own bed.
(c) Leave Elka and marry someone else.
(d) Get a new job.
14. Rather than get angry himself, what does Gimpel do when presented with a prank?
(a) Believes the pranksters and hopes it does them some good.
(b) Calmly tells the pranksters he knows a joke when he hears one.
(c) Laughs and then tries the same joke on someone else.
(d) Runs away.
15. What do Gimpel and Elka have in common?
(a) They are both orphans.
(b) They both smell bad.
(c) They both have children.
(d) They love each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is happening as Gimpel walks to Elka's house?
2. What does Elka do ten times a day?
3. How are Elka's premarital demands met?
4. What does Elka tell Gimpel has happened on their wedding night?
5. What does Gimpel say most men would do in his situation?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)