|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Gimpel's profession?
2. Where are Gimpel and Elka married?
(a) The bakery.
(b) The cemetery.
(c) Their new house.
(d) The synagogue.
3. How does Gimpel feel about Elka's infidelity?
4. While Elka is in labor, what does she scream to Gimpel?
(a) "Pray for us!"
(b) "I hate you!"
(c) "I'm going. Forgive me!"
(d) "You suck!"
5. The day after Elka's explanation about the child, who does Gimpel visit to talk things over?
(a) The townspeople.
(b) The schoolmaster.
(c) The Rabbi.
(d) The baker.
6. Who is the child's favorite person?
(c) Tha Baker.
(d) The Rabbi.
7. Who is the child named after?
(a) Gimpel's father.
(b) Elka's father.
(c) Elka's mother.
(d) Gimpel's mother.
8. Because of Gimpel's thieving, what happens to Elka?
(a) She becomes over-accessorized.
(b) She becomes fat and handsome.
(c) She becomes rich.
(d) She becomes the mother of the best-dressed baby in the land.
9. Although he is furious, why doesn't Gimpel awaken Elka in a rage?
(a) He isn't really angry.
(b) He knows the baby likes to sleep next to its mother.
(c) He doesn't want to awaken the baby with fright.
(d) He is jealous that Elka has won over his new girlfriend.
10. What advice is given to Gimpel regarding Elka's explanation about the child?
(a) God makes miracles every day.
(b) Elka is a liar and he should already know that the child is not his.
(c) The same thing happened to Adam and Eve, and every woman is a descendant of Eve.
(d) Premature births do happen, so Gimpel should be grateful the child lived.
11. Who is the narrator of the story?
(a) The rabbi.
(d) The Spirit of Evil.
12. Who is the third person that Gimpel has to live with?
(b) The Farmer.
(c) The Rabbi.
(d) The Baker.
13. When the Rabbi hears what Gimpel has said about Elka's infidelity, what does he say?
(a) He knew that Gimpel would be happy in a new town.
(b) Elka deserves to be loved and forgiven.
(c) Gimpel eats too much.
(d) He will have to reconsider the case.
14. What is Gimpel's nickname?
(a) Gimpel the Fool.
(b) Gimpel the Dunce.
(c) Gimpel the Butthead.
(d) Gimpel the Stupid.
15. Who do the townspeople say lives with Elka?
(a) Her little sister.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her little brother.
(d) Her uncle.
Short Answer Questions
1. When people glare at the child, what does Gimpel do?
2. When Gimpel bluntly states that Elka has borne a bastard, what does Elka claim?
3. What is said about Elka at the wedding ceremony?
4. Why does Gimpel have to live with someone other than his parents?
5. Instead of raisins, what do the other children put in Gimpel's hand?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)