|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After hearing of Elka's infidelity, what does the Rabbi tell Gimpel to do?
(a) Kill Elka.
(b) Divorce Elka.
(c) Move to another town.
(d) Forgive Elka.
2. If Elka's premarital request isn't met, what does she say can happen?
(a) She will scream.
(b) Everyone can kiss her you-know-what.
(c) She will cry.
(d) She will berate the townspeople until her needs are met.
3. After seeing the suspicious wedding gift, what is Gimpel's resolution?
(a) He is resolved to embrace Christianity.
(b) He will see what comes of it.
(c) He will kill Elka first.
(d) He will run for his life.
4. When Gimpel states that he will "never marry that whore", what do the townspeople say?
(a) That he should be glad that she's easy.
(b) That he should be ashamed of giving Elka a bad name and they can have him fined by the Rabbi.
(c) That no one blames him if he doesn't want to marry Elka.
(d) That Elka is a prostitute.
5. Although he is furious, why doesn't Gimpel awaken Elka in a rage?
(a) He is jealous that Elka has won over his new girlfriend.
(b) He knows the baby likes to sleep next to its mother.
(c) He isn't really angry.
(d) He doesn't want to awaken the baby with fright.
6. What physical imperfection does Elka have?
(a) She has twelve fingers.
(b) She walks with a limp.
(c) She is missing her left arm.
(d) She can't have children.
7. When does Gimpel receive his nickname?
(a) As a baby.
(b) He doesn't have a nickname.
(c) As an adult.
(d) When he is a schoolboy.
8. Judging by Gimpel's description, how is Elka's current living situation?
(a) Very clean.
(b) Very wealthy.
(c) Very dusty.
(d) Very poor.
9. Where are Gimpel and Elka married?
(a) The cemetery.
(b) Their new house.
(c) The synagogue.
(d) The bakery.
10. What is Gimpel's profession?
11. After the feast celebrating the birth of their child, what does Elka ask Gimpel?
(a) If he is happy.
(b) Why he is silent.
(c) Why he isn't tired.
(d) If he still loves her.
12. Where does Gimpel sleep during the week?
(a) The pub.
(b) The barn.
(c) The bakery.
(d) The synagogue.
13. What is the true relation of the person who lives with Elka?
(a) He is her illegitimate son.
(b) He is her brother.
(c) He is her uncle.
(d) He is her cousin.
14. What happens whenever Gimpel doesn't believe the pranksters?
(a) They walk away.
(b) They admit they were pulling a prank.
(c) They try the prank on someone else.
(d) They get angry.
15. Who does Gimpel go to for advice?
(a) The Baker.
(b) The Farmer.
(c) His parents.
(d) The Rabbi.
Short Answer Questions
1. After rationalizing Elka's behavior, what does Gimpel begin to agree with Elka on?
2. Who wants Gimpel to marry Elka?
3. How does Gimpel begin to feel about Elka?
4. What wedding gift made Gimpel suspicious?
5. When presented with accusations of infidelity, what does Elka do?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)