|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Gimpel go to for advice?
(a) The Rabbi.
(b) The Baker.
(c) His parents.
(d) The Farmer.
2. After hearing of Elka's infidelity, what does the Rabbi tell Gimpel to do?
(a) Forgive Elka.
(b) Kill Elka.
(c) Divorce Elka.
(d) Move to another town.
3. What does Gimpel say his foolishness consists of?
(a) He doesn't like people.
(b) He tells a lot of jokes.
(c) He is stupid.
(d) He is easy to take in.
4. Judging by Gimpel's description, how is Elka's current living situation?
(a) Very poor.
(b) Very clean.
(c) Very dusty.
(d) Very wealthy.
5. What does Elka want before agreeing to marry Gimpel?
(a) A dowry of fifty guilders.
(b) A vow of celibacy from Gimpel.
(c) A house built to her specifications.
(d) A new puppy.
6. What advice is given to Gimpel?
(a) That he is foolish and should accept it.
(b) That he should bake more bread.
(c) That he his not a fool. They are the fools.
(d) That he should laugh off the jokes.
7. Does Gimpel believe Elka's story about the child?
(a) He isn't sure.
(d) Yes, but he knows he can't tell fact from fiction, so really no.
8. What physical imperfection does Elka have?
(a) She walks with a limp.
(b) She can't have children.
(c) She is missing her left arm.
(d) She has twelve fingers.
9. After the feast celebrating the birth of their child, what does Elka ask Gimpel?
(a) If he still loves her.
(b) Why he isn't tired.
(c) Why he is silent.
(d) If he is happy.
10. What story does Elka tell Gimpel in an attempt to convince him that the child is his?
(a) Elka's grandmother, whom she resembles, carried for the same short amount of time.
(b) Gimpel was drunk one night nine months ago and came to visit her.
(c) The child has Gimpel's nose and ears.
(d) An angel came to Elka in a dream and told her she would be the mother to the second coming of Christ.
11. When Gimpel comes home over the weekends, what does Elka do?
(a) Shower Gimpel wih love.
(b) Make excuses to avoid sex.
(c) Leave the house.
(d) Cook Gimpel's favorite meals.
12. What does Gimpel see in his bed next to Elka?
(a) An empty space for him to sleep.
(b) The baby.
(c) His new love interest.
(d) A man's form.
13. What do Gimpel and Elka have in common?
(a) They love each other.
(b) They both have children.
(c) They both smell bad.
(d) They are both orphans.
14. As a joke, what do the townspeople tell Gimpel has happened to his parents?
(a) They are in debt and have sold him to the farmer.
(b) They have risen from the dead and are looking for him.
(c) They have died.
(d) They have moved to another town and left Gimpel behind.
15. Who beats up on Gimpel?
(a) Elka's "little brother"/bastard.
(b) The townspeople.
(c) The baker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elka give birth to?
2. What is evident when Gimpel visits Elka?
3. What is Gimpel's reasoning for considering marrying Elka?
4. Who wants Gimpel to marry Elka?
5. After rationalizing Elka's behavior, what does Gimpel begin to agree with Elka on?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)