|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Gimpel enters his house, what does he hear?
(a) The baby crying.
(b) Elka fighting with his new girlfriend.
(c) Double snores.
(d) Elka sobbing.
2. Because of Gimpel's thieving, what happens to Elka?
(a) She becomes fat and handsome.
(b) She becomes over-accessorized.
(c) She becomes the mother of the best-dressed baby in the land.
(d) She becomes rich.
3. When Gimpel comes home over the weekends, what does Elka do?
(a) Cook Gimpel's favorite meals.
(b) Make excuses to avoid sex.
(c) Shower Gimpel wih love.
(d) Leave the house.
4. What does Gimpel steal for Elka?
(b) Baby clothes.
5. Who follows Gimpel to Elka's house?
(a) Gimpel's parents.
(b) The townspeople.
(c) The Rabbi.
(d) The Baker.
6. Where does Gimpel want to go?
(c) Off to another town.
(d) To hell.
7. What does Gimpel do while Elka is in childbirth?
(a) Visits the Rabbi.
(b) Holds Elka's hand while she screams.
(c) Waits outside the birthing quarters and prays.
(d) Visits the House of Prayer and repeats psalms.
8. Judging by Gimpel's description, how is Elka's current living situation?
(a) Very dusty.
(b) Very clean.
(c) Very poor.
(d) Very wealthy.
9. After hearing of Elka's infidelity, what does the Rabbi tell Gimpel to do?
(a) Divorce Elka.
(b) Move to another town.
(c) Kill Elka.
(d) Forgive Elka.
10. What does Elka tell Gimpel has happened on their wedding night?
(a) She has a headache.
(b) She has already bought another house.
(c) She has decided that she wants more children.
(d) She has gotten her monthly.
11. What is Gimpel's nickname?
(a) Gimpel the Butthead.
(b) Gimpel the Stupid.
(c) Gimpel the Dunce.
(d) Gimpel the Fool.
12. Who is the main character of the story?
(a) The Devil.
(c) The rabbi.
13. Where does Gimpel sleep during the week?
(a) The barn.
(b) The synagogue.
(c) The bakery.
(d) The pub.
14. What does Gimpel say about his ability to fight back?
(a) He beats people up when he gets angry.
(b) He is small and cannot fight.
(c) He is no weakling but prefers to let it pass.
(d) His parents won't let him hit people.
15. What is Gimpel's reasoning for considering marrying Elka?
(a) He has heard that she is very pretty.
(b) "Waste not, want not."
(c) When you're married the husband is the master and if that's agreeable with her, it's agreeable to him too.
(d) He shouldn't be judgmental.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the child named after?
2. What evidence does Gimpel give that the child is not his?
3. Why are the townspeople afraid of Elka?
4. How are Elka's premarital demands met?
5. Rather than get angry himself, what does Gimpel do when presented with a prank?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)