|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gimpel say most men would do in his situation?
(a) Demand more sex from his wife.
(b) Work more.
(c) Sleep more.
(d) Take French leave and disappear.
2. Who is the narrator of the story?
(a) The rabbi.
(b) The Spirit of Evil.
3. What does Gimpel say about his ability to fight back?
(a) His parents won't let him hit people.
(b) He is small and cannot fight.
(c) He is no weakling but prefers to let it pass.
(d) He beats people up when he gets angry.
4. Instead of raisins, what do the other children put in Gimpel's hand?
(a) Goat turds.
5. What does Gimpel steal for Elka?
(b) Baby clothes.
6. What happens on Gimpel and Elka's wedding night?
(a) Gimpel surprises Elka with a new house.
(b) Gimpel breaks his vow of celebacy.
(c) Elka locks Gimpel out of the bedroom.
(d) Gimpel falls alseep before Elka does.
7. What is Gimpel's profession?
8. Because of Gimpel's thieving, what happens to Elka?
(a) She becomes the mother of the best-dressed baby in the land.
(b) She becomes rich.
(c) She becomes over-accessorized.
(d) She becomes fat and handsome.
9. Where does Gimpel live?
10. The morning after talking with the Rabbi, what does Gimpel say after he arrives at his destination?
(a) He is happy to be in a new place.
(b) He has made a mistake.
(c) He is in love with Elka and will never leave.
(d) He is hungry and needs bread.
11. What happens when the sexton announces the birth of Gimpel's child at the synagogue?
(a) The congregation cheers.
(b) There is silence.
(c) The House of Prayer rings with laughter.
(d) Gimpel is deafened with sobbing.
12. Who is the third person that Gimpel has to live with?
(a) The Farmer.
(b) The Rabbi.
(c) The Baker.
13. Although he is furious, why doesn't Gimpel awaken Elka in a rage?
(a) He doesn't want to awaken the baby with fright.
(b) He knows the baby likes to sleep next to its mother.
(c) He is jealous that Elka has won over his new girlfriend.
(d) He isn't really angry.
14. What wedding gift made Gimpel suspicious?
(a) A crib.
(b) A Bible.
(d) A shovel and a set of knives.
15. What does Gimpel say his foolishness consists of?
(a) He is stupid.
(b) He is easy to take in.
(c) He doesn't like people.
(d) He tells a lot of jokes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Rabbi's daughter make Gimpel do?
2. Where are Gimpel and Elka married?
3. When Gimpel asks Elka about all the negative things he has heard about her and asks that she not be deceitful, what does Elka say?
4. How does Gimpel rationalize Elka's behavior?
5. What is Gimpel's response to Elka's wedding night claims?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)