|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What falsehood do the townspeople tell Gimpel about Elka?
(a) Elka is a Christian.
(b) Elka can't wait to meet Gimpel.
(c) Elka is a chaste maiden.
(d) Elka is in love with Gimpel.
2. Instead of raisins, what do the other children put in Gimpel's hand?
(a) Goat turds.
3. After hearing of Elka's infidelity, what does the Rabbi say Gimpel cannot do?
(a) Contact Elka.
(b) Divorce Elka.
(d) Forgive Elka.
4. What is Elka's response to Gimpel's evidence that the child is not his?
(a) The child has Gimpel's nose.
(b) Gimpel was wrong about being infertile.
(c) She reiterates that Gimpel knew she was pregnant before he married her.
(d) The child is his; it was just a premature birth.
5. When Gimpel hints that Elka has fooled him, how does Elka respond?
(a) She pretends not to know what he is talking about.
(b) She is silent.
(c) She begins to sob uncontrollably.
(d) She tells him that he is in fact a fool.
6. The morning after talking with the Rabbi, where does Gimpel go?
(a) To another town.
(b) To see the Rabbi again.
(c) To see Elka.
(d) To see the baker.
7. Although he is furious, why doesn't Gimpel awaken Elka in a rage?
(a) He knows the baby likes to sleep next to its mother.
(b) He isn't really angry.
(c) He is jealous that Elka has won over his new girlfriend.
(d) He doesn't want to awaken the baby with fright.
8. Who beats up on Gimpel?
(a) Elka's "little brother"/bastard.
(b) The townspeople.
(d) The baker.
9. What happens four months after Gimpel and Elka get married?
(a) They get divorced.
(b) Elka gets pregnant.
(c) Elka miscarries.
(d) Elka gives birth.
10. After Gimpel enters his house, what does he hear?
(a) Elka fighting with his new girlfriend.
(b) Elka sobbing.
(c) Double snores.
(d) The baby crying.
11. What happens on Gimpel and Elka's wedding night?
(a) Gimpel falls alseep before Elka does.
(b) Gimpel breaks his vow of celebacy.
(c) Gimpel surprises Elka with a new house.
(d) Elka locks Gimpel out of the bedroom.
12. Does Gimpel believe Elka's story about the child?
(b) He isn't sure.
(d) Yes, but he knows he can't tell fact from fiction, so really no.
13. What does Elka do ten times a day?
(a) Tell Gimpel how much she loves him.
(b) Threaten to divorce Gimpel.
14. What does the Rabbi eventually allow Gimpel to do?
(a) Eat everything he wants.
(b) Send bread and money to Elka.
(d) Go back to work.
15. Who calls Gimpel by his nickname?
(a) The townspeople.
(b) The rabbi.
(d) His parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator of the story?
2. What happens when the sexton announces the birth of Gimpel's child at the synagogue?
3. What does Elka tell Gimpel has happened on their wedding night?
4. When Gimpel asks Elka about all the negative things he has heard about her and asks that she not be deceitful, what does Elka say?
5. What does the Rabbi's daughter make Gimpel do?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)