|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the narrator of the story?
(a) The rabbi.
(b) The Spirit of Evil.
2. Where does Gimpel sleep during the week?
(a) The pub.
(b) The barn.
(c) The synagogue.
(d) The bakery.
3. What does a mid-week event allow Gimpel to do?
(a) Admit to his thieving.
(b) Leave Elka and marry someone else.
(c) Go home to sleep in his own bed.
(d) Get a new job.
4. Although he is furious, why doesn't Gimpel awaken Elka in a rage?
(a) He is jealous that Elka has won over his new girlfriend.
(b) He doesn't want to awaken the baby with fright.
(c) He isn't really angry.
(d) He knows the baby likes to sleep next to its mother.
5. Judging by Gimpel's description, how is Elka's current living situation?
(a) Very poor.
(b) Very dusty.
(c) Very clean.
(d) Very wealthy.
6. What does Gimpel steal for Elka?
(d) Baby clothes.
7. After wanting to go home mid-week, who does Gimpel go to for advice?
(a) The baby.
(b) The farmer.
(c) The Rabbi.
(d) The baker.
8. When Gimpel bluntly states that Elka has borne a bastard, what does Elka claim?
(a) She has borne the new Jesus.
(b) The child is a miracle from God.
(c) Gimpel is the father.
(d) Gimpel knew she was pregnant when he married her.
9. What is said about Elka at the wedding ceremony?
(a) She is both a widow and divorced.
(b) She doesn't really love Gimpel.
(c) She isn't fit to be wed.
(d) She smells bad.
10. What is the first thing Gimpel says about himself?
(a) He doesn't think himself worthy of life.
(b) He thinks himself handsome.
(c) He thinks himself a fool.
(d) He doesn't think himself a fool.
11. How does Gimpel rationalize Elka's behavior?
(a) "You can't live without errors."
(b) "I have done the same."
(c) "She loves someone else."
(d) "Anything is possible"
12. What does Gimpel do while Elka is in childbirth?
(a) Visits the House of Prayer and repeats psalms.
(b) Waits outside the birthing quarters and prays.
(c) Holds Elka's hand while she screams.
(d) Visits the Rabbi.
13. What festivities occurred at Gimpel and Elka's wedding?
(a) Poker and Yahtzee were played.
(b) Drinking, singing and dancing.
(c) Eating contests.
(d) None--no one came to the wedding.
14. Who is the child's favorite person?
(c) Tha Baker.
(d) The Rabbi.
15. When people glare at the child, what does Gimpel do?
(a) Soothes the child with coos and words of love.
(b) Punches the glaring person in the mouth.
(c) Tells the child to get used to it, for the child is a bastard.
(d) Gets the child an abracadabra.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the true relation of the person who lives with Elka?
2. After the feast celebrating the birth of their child, what does Elka ask Gimpel?
3. What story does Elka tell Gimpel in an attempt to convince him that the child is his?
4. Gimpel is what?
5. Who follows Gimpel to Elka's house?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)