|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Gimpel bluntly states that Elka has borne a bastard, what does Elka claim?
(a) She has borne the new Jesus.
(b) Gimpel knew she was pregnant when he married her.
(c) Gimpel is the father.
(d) The child is a miracle from God.
2. After wanting to go home mid-week, who does Gimpel go to for advice?
(a) The Rabbi.
(b) The baby.
(c) The baker.
(d) The farmer.
3. What does Elka tell Gimpel has happened on their wedding night?
(a) She has decided that she wants more children.
(b) She has a headache.
(c) She has gotten her monthly.
(d) She has already bought another house.
4. After the feast celebrating the birth of their child, what does Elka ask Gimpel?
(a) If he still loves her.
(b) Why he isn't tired.
(c) If he is happy.
(d) Why he is silent.
5. What is Gimpel's reasoning for considering marrying Elka?
(a) He has heard that she is very pretty.
(b) He shouldn't be judgmental.
(c) "Waste not, want not."
(d) When you're married the husband is the master and if that's agreeable with her, it's agreeable to him too.
6. Judging by Gimpel's description, how is Elka's current living situation?
(a) Very poor.
(b) Very wealthy.
(c) Very clean.
(d) Very dusty.
7. What falsehood do the townspeople tell Gimpel about Elka?
(a) Elka is a chaste maiden.
(b) Elka is in love with Gimpel.
(c) Elka can't wait to meet Gimpel.
(d) Elka is a Christian.
8. The morning after talking with the Rabbi, what does Gimpel say after he arrives at his destination?
(a) He is happy to be in a new place.
(b) He is hungry and needs bread.
(c) He has made a mistake.
(d) He is in love with Elka and will never leave.
9. When Gimpel comes home over the weekends, what does Elka do?
(a) Make excuses to avoid sex.
(b) Shower Gimpel wih love.
(c) Leave the house.
(d) Cook Gimpel's favorite meals.
10. When presented with accusations of infidelity, what does Elka do?
(a) Denies them and claims Gimpel is crazy.
(b) Stands silent.
(c) Admits her wrong-doings.
(d) Leaves the room.
11. What does Gimpel steal for Elka?
(d) Baby clothes.
12. Traditionally, what were husbands supposed to do while their wives were in childbirth?
(a) Visit the Rabbi.
(b) Wait outside the birthing quarters and pray.
(c) Hold the wife's hand while she screamed.
(d) Visit the House of Prayer and repeat psalms.
13. How does Gimpel rationalize Elka's behavior?
(a) "Anything is possible"
(b) "I have done the same."
(c) "You can't live without errors."
(d) "She loves someone else."
14. How does Gimpel begin to forget his sorrow?
(a) He works extra long hours.
(b) He loves the little boy.
(c) He loves the little girl.
(d) He sleeps more.
15. What does a mid-week event allow Gimpel to do?
(a) Admit to his thieving.
(b) Go home to sleep in his own bed.
(c) Get a new job.
(d) Leave Elka and marry someone else.
Short Answer Questions
1. If Elka's premarital request isn't met, what does she say can happen?
2. What festivities occurred at Gimpel and Elka's wedding?
3. What is Gimpel's profession?
4. What evidence does Gimpel give that the child is not his?
5. Where are Gimpel and Elka married?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)