|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The day after Elka's explanation about the child, who does Gimpel visit to talk things over?
(a) The Rabbi.
(b) The baker.
(c) The townspeople.
(d) The schoolmaster.
2. What is Gimpel's response to Elka's wedding night claims?
(a) He likes the idea of having two houses.
(b) Elka had the ritual bath yesterday, which happens after her monthly is over.
(c) He is resolute on being celibate.
(d) He has a headache too.
3. Does Gimpel believe Elka's story about the child?
(b) He isn't sure.
(d) Yes, but he knows he can't tell fact from fiction, so really no.
4. When the Rabbi hears what Gimpel has said about Elka's infidelity, what does he say?
(a) Elka deserves to be loved and forgiven.
(b) Gimpel eats too much.
(c) He will have to reconsider the case.
(d) He knew that Gimpel would be happy in a new town.
5. How does Elka look when Gimpel visits her home?
(a) She is still in her flannel pajamas with her hair all messy.
(b) She is dressed in red silk and preparing tea.
(c) She is barefoot, wearing a worn plush gown with her hair in braids.
(d) She is naked.
6. How does Gimpel begin to feel about Elka?
(a) He hates her.
(b) He is ambivalent.
(c) He ignores her.
(d) He loves her.
7. Where does Gimpel sleep during the week?
(a) The pub.
(b) The bakery.
(c) The barn.
(d) The synagogue.
8. When Gimpel states that he will "never marry that whore", what do the townspeople say?
(a) That he should be ashamed of giving Elka a bad name and they can have him fined by the Rabbi.
(b) That no one blames him if he doesn't want to marry Elka.
(c) That he should be glad that she's easy.
(d) That Elka is a prostitute.
9. What happens when the sexton announces the birth of Gimpel's child at the synagogue?
(a) Gimpel is deafened with sobbing.
(b) There is silence.
(c) The House of Prayer rings with laughter.
(d) The congregation cheers.
10. The morning after talking with the Rabbi, where does Gimpel go?
(a) To see the baker.
(b) To see the Rabbi again.
(c) To see Elka.
(d) To another town.
11. What honor and ritual is Gimpel responsible for at the birth celebration?
(a) The circumcision.
(b) None-- Elka is responsible for everything.
(c) The betrothal.
(d) The blessing and naming.
12. How does Gimpel begin to forget his sorrow?
(a) He loves the little girl.
(b) He works extra long hours.
(c) He loves the little boy.
(d) He sleeps more.
13. Gimpel is what?
(a) Audio Assistant.
(d) Overweight child.
14. What is evident when Gimpel visits Elka?
(a) She doesn't like him.
(b) She secretly loves him.
(c) She is surprised to see him.
(d) She already knows who he is.
15. After hearing of Elka's infidelity, what does the Rabbi say Gimpel cannot do?
(a) Divorce Elka.
(c) Forgive Elka.
(d) Contact Elka.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a joke, what do the townspeople tell Gimpel has happened to his parents?
2. What is happening as Gimpel walks to Elka's house?
3. What does Elka give birth to?
4. What does Gimpel do while Elka is in childbirth?
5. Traditionally, what were husbands supposed to do while their wives were in childbirth?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)