|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although he is furious, why doesn't Gimpel awaken Elka in a rage?
(a) He is jealous that Elka has won over his new girlfriend.
(b) He isn't really angry.
(c) He knows the baby likes to sleep next to its mother.
(d) He doesn't want to awaken the baby with fright.
2. What happens on Gimpel and Elka's wedding night?
(a) Gimpel falls alseep before Elka does.
(b) Elka locks Gimpel out of the bedroom.
(c) Gimpel surprises Elka with a new house.
(d) Gimpel breaks his vow of celebacy.
3. What falsehood do the townspeople tell Gimpel about Elka?
(a) Elka is a chaste maiden.
(b) Elka can't wait to meet Gimpel.
(c) Elka is in love with Gimpel.
(d) Elka is a Christian.
4. What story does Elka tell Gimpel in an attempt to convince him that the child is his?
(a) Gimpel was drunk one night nine months ago and came to visit her.
(b) An angel came to Elka in a dream and told her she would be the mother to the second coming of Christ.
(c) Elka's grandmother, whom she resembles, carried for the same short amount of time.
(d) The child has Gimpel's nose and ears.
5. After the feast celebrating the birth of their child, what does Elka ask Gimpel?
(a) Why he isn't tired.
(b) Why he is silent.
(c) If he is happy.
(d) If he still loves her.
6. How does Gimpel begin to feel about Elka?
(a) He loves her.
(b) He ignores her.
(c) He hates her.
(d) He is ambivalent.
7. Judging by Gimpel's description, how is Elka's current living situation?
(a) Very dusty.
(b) Very clean.
(c) Very wealthy.
(d) Very poor.
8. When Gimpel bluntly states that Elka has borne a bastard, what does Elka claim?
(a) The child is a miracle from God.
(b) She has borne the new Jesus.
(c) Gimpel is the father.
(d) Gimpel knew she was pregnant when he married her.
9. What physical imperfection does Elka have?
(a) She has twelve fingers.
(b) She walks with a limp.
(c) She can't have children.
(d) She is missing her left arm.
10. What does Gimpel see in his bed next to Elka?
(a) A man's form.
(b) An empty space for him to sleep.
(c) His new love interest.
(d) The baby.
11. Traditionally, what were husbands supposed to do while their wives were in childbirth?
(a) Visit the House of Prayer and repeat psalms.
(b) Visit the Rabbi.
(c) Hold the wife's hand while she screamed.
(d) Wait outside the birthing quarters and pray.
12. What does Elka give birth to?
(b) A Girl.
(c) A Hermaphrodite.
(d) A Boy.
13. What honor and ritual is Gimpel responsible for at the birth celebration?
(a) The blessing and naming.
(b) The circumcision.
(c) The betrothal.
(d) None-- Elka is responsible for everything.
14. What does Elka want before agreeing to marry Gimpel?
(a) A vow of celibacy from Gimpel.
(b) A house built to her specifications.
(c) A dowry of fifty guilders.
(d) A new puppy.
15. After Gimpel enters his house, what does he hear?
(a) The baby crying.
(b) Double snores.
(c) Elka sobbing.
(d) Elka fighting with his new girlfriend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What festivities occurred at Gimpel and Elka's wedding?
2. Who follows Gimpel to Elka's house?
3. Where does Gimpel want to go?
4. As a joke, what do the townspeople tell Gimpel has happened to his parents?
5. What is Gimpel's reasoning for considering marrying Elka?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)