|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rather than get angry himself, what does Gimpel do when presented with a prank?
(a) Calmly tells the pranksters he knows a joke when he hears one.
(b) Believes the pranksters and hopes it does them some good.
(c) Laughs and then tries the same joke on someone else.
(d) Runs away.
2. What is said about Elka at the wedding ceremony?
(a) She doesn't really love Gimpel.
(b) She smells bad.
(c) She isn't fit to be wed.
(d) She is both a widow and divorced.
3. What advice is given to Gimpel regarding Elka's explanation about the child?
(a) God makes miracles every day.
(b) Elka is a liar and he should already know that the child is not his.
(c) The same thing happened to Adam and Eve, and every woman is a descendant of Eve.
(d) Premature births do happen, so Gimpel should be grateful the child lived.
4. What is Elka's response to Gimpel's evidence that the child is not his?
(a) She reiterates that Gimpel knew she was pregnant before he married her.
(b) Gimpel was wrong about being infertile.
(c) The child has Gimpel's nose.
(d) The child is his; it was just a premature birth.
5. After his parents, who does Gimpel go to live with?
(a) His Uncle.
(b) His Grandfather.
(c) The Rabbi.
(d) A farmer.
6. What do Gimpel and Elka have in common?
(a) They love each other.
(b) They both smell bad.
(c) They both have children.
(d) They are both orphans.
7. As a joke, what do the townspeople tell Gimpel has happened to his parents?
(a) They have risen from the dead and are looking for him.
(b) They have moved to another town and left Gimpel behind.
(c) They are in debt and have sold him to the farmer.
(d) They have died.
8. What happens when the sexton announces the birth of Gimpel's child at the synagogue?
(a) The House of Prayer rings with laughter.
(b) There is silence.
(c) Gimpel is deafened with sobbing.
(d) The congregation cheers.
9. Who is the child's favorite person?
(a) Tha Baker.
(b) The Rabbi.
10. Traditionally, what were husbands supposed to do while their wives were in childbirth?
(a) Visit the House of Prayer and repeat psalms.
(b) Hold the wife's hand while she screamed.
(c) Wait outside the birthing quarters and pray.
(d) Visit the Rabbi.
11. What does Elka give birth to?
(b) A Boy.
(c) A Girl.
(d) A Hermaphrodite.
12. Who is the narrator of the story?
(a) The Spirit of Evil.
(c) The rabbi.
13. What happens mid-week at the bakery?
(a) Gimpel is caught stealing bread.
(b) The oven bursts and almost causes a fire.
(c) Gimpel meets a new love interest.
(d) Gimpel gets fired from his job.
14. What is Gimpel's defense against being called foolish?
(a) He likes jokes.
(b) He can't tell when people are kidding.
(c) He is stupid.
(d) Everything is possible.
15. The morning after talking with the Rabbi, what does Gimpel say after he arrives at his destination?
(a) He is happy to be in a new place.
(b) He is hungry and needs bread.
(c) He is in love with Elka and will never leave.
(d) He has made a mistake.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gimpel steal for Elka?
2. What festivities occurred at Gimpel and Elka's wedding?
3. How does Gimpel begin to feel about Elka?
4. How does Elka look when Gimpel visits her home?
5. How are Elka's premarital demands met?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)