|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What falsehood do the townspeople tell Gimpel about Elka?
(a) Elka is a Christian.
(b) Elka can't wait to meet Gimpel.
(c) Elka is a chaste maiden.
(d) Elka is in love with Gimpel.
2. Judging by Gimpel's description, how is Elka's current living situation?
(a) Very clean.
(b) Very dusty.
(c) Very wealthy.
(d) Very poor.
3. When Gimpel comes home over the weekends, what does Elka do?
(a) Cook Gimpel's favorite meals.
(b) Make excuses to avoid sex.
(c) Shower Gimpel wih love.
(d) Leave the house.
4. What is happening as Gimpel walks to Elka's house?
(a) The Rabbi is advising Gimpel on how to propose to Elka.
(b) The townspeople are hollering and chorusing.
(c) The Baker is running after Gimpel to talk him out of it.
(d) It starts to rain.
5. Who follows Gimpel to Elka's house?
(a) The Baker.
(b) The Rabbi.
(c) The townspeople.
(d) Gimpel's parents.
6. Where does Gimpel live?
7. When the Rabbi hears what Gimpel has said about Elka's infidelity, what does he say?
(a) He knew that Gimpel would be happy in a new town.
(b) Elka deserves to be loved and forgiven.
(c) He will have to reconsider the case.
(d) Gimpel eats too much.
8. What does Elka do ten times a day?
(a) Tell Gimpel how much she loves him.
(b) Threaten to divorce Gimpel.
9. What happens on Gimpel and Elka's wedding night?
(a) Gimpel falls alseep before Elka does.
(b) Gimpel breaks his vow of celebacy.
(c) Elka locks Gimpel out of the bedroom.
(d) Gimpel surprises Elka with a new house.
10. Traditionally, what were husbands supposed to do while their wives were in childbirth?
(a) Wait outside the birthing quarters and pray.
(b) Visit the House of Prayer and repeat psalms.
(c) Visit the Rabbi.
(d) Hold the wife's hand while she screamed.
11. What is Gimpel's defense against being called foolish?
(a) He likes jokes.
(b) Everything is possible.
(c) He is stupid.
(d) He can't tell when people are kidding.
12. Where does Gimpel want to go?
(b) To hell.
(d) Off to another town.
13. Rather than get angry himself, what does Gimpel do when presented with a prank?
(a) Believes the pranksters and hopes it does them some good.
(b) Laughs and then tries the same joke on someone else.
(c) Runs away.
(d) Calmly tells the pranksters he knows a joke when he hears one.
14. The morning after talking with the Rabbi, where does Gimpel go?
(a) To another town.
(b) To see the Rabbi again.
(c) To see Elka.
(d) To see the baker.
15. After his parents, who does Gimpel go to live with?
(a) His Uncle.
(b) A farmer.
(c) His Grandfather.
(d) The Rabbi.
Short Answer Questions
1. When presented with accusations of infidelity, what does Elka do?
2. When Gimpel bluntly states that Elka has borne a bastard, what does Elka claim?
3. What is the first thing Gimpel says about himself?
4. What does Gimpel say about his ability to fight back?
5. The morning after talking with the Rabbi, what does Gimpel say after he arrives at his destination?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)