|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Gimpel sleep during the week?
(a) The barn.
(b) The bakery.
(c) The pub.
(d) The synagogue.
2. What does Elka want before agreeing to marry Gimpel?
(a) A vow of celibacy from Gimpel.
(b) A new puppy.
(c) A dowry of fifty guilders.
(d) A house built to her specifications.
3. Who is the narrator of the story?
(a) The Spirit of Evil.
(d) The rabbi.
4. What does Gimpel say his foolishness consists of?
(a) He tells a lot of jokes.
(b) He is stupid.
(c) He doesn't like people.
(d) He is easy to take in.
5. What is Gimpel's profession?
6. What advice is given to Gimpel?
(a) That he his not a fool. They are the fools.
(b) That he should laugh off the jokes.
(c) That he should bake more bread.
(d) That he is foolish and should accept it.
7. What happens mid-week at the bakery?
(a) Gimpel meets a new love interest.
(b) Gimpel gets fired from his job.
(c) The oven bursts and almost causes a fire.
(d) Gimpel is caught stealing bread.
8. What does Elka do ten times a day?
(a) Tell Gimpel how much she loves him.
(d) Threaten to divorce Gimpel.
9. Gimpel is what?
(a) Audio Assistant.
(b) Overweight child.
10. After wanting to go home mid-week, who does Gimpel go to for advice?
(a) The farmer.
(b) The baby.
(c) The baker.
(d) The Rabbi.
11. Who is the child named after?
(a) Gimpel's father.
(b) Gimpel's mother.
(c) Elka's father.
(d) Elka's mother.
12. What happens on Gimpel and Elka's wedding night?
(a) Elka locks Gimpel out of the bedroom.
(b) Gimpel falls alseep before Elka does.
(c) Gimpel breaks his vow of celebacy.
(d) Gimpel surprises Elka with a new house.
13. Rather than get angry himself, what does Gimpel do when presented with a prank?
(a) Runs away.
(b) Laughs and then tries the same joke on someone else.
(c) Believes the pranksters and hopes it does them some good.
(d) Calmly tells the pranksters he knows a joke when he hears one.
14. When Gimpel comes home over the weekends, what does Elka do?
(a) Leave the house.
(b) Cook Gimpel's favorite meals.
(c) Make excuses to avoid sex.
(d) Shower Gimpel wih love.
15. If Elka's premarital request isn't met, what does she say can happen?
(a) She will scream.
(b) She will berate the townspeople until her needs are met.
(c) Everyone can kiss her you-know-what.
(d) She will cry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What evidence does Gimpel give that the child is not his?
2. Because of Gimpel's thieving, what happens to Elka?
3. Who wants Gimpel to marry Elka?
4. What does Elka tell Gimpel has happened on their wedding night?
5. After his parents, who does Gimpel go to live with?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)