|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Instead of raisins, what do the other children put in Gimpel's hand?
(a) Goat turds.
2. How does Gimpel rationalize Elka's behavior?
(a) "Anything is possible"
(b) "You can't live without errors."
(c) "She loves someone else."
(d) "I have done the same."
3. When he visits Elka's house, what takes Gimpel's breath away?
(a) Elka's decorating skills.
(b) The amount of dust on everything.
(c) Elka's beauty.
(d) The reeking smell.
4. What does a mid-week event allow Gimpel to do?
(a) Go home to sleep in his own bed.
(b) Leave Elka and marry someone else.
(c) Get a new job.
(d) Admit to his thieving.
5. If Elka's premarital request isn't met, what does she say can happen?
(a) Everyone can kiss her you-know-what.
(b) She will cry.
(c) She will scream.
(d) She will berate the townspeople until her needs are met.
6. How does Gimpel feel about Elka's infidelity?
7. How does Elka look when Gimpel visits her home?
(a) She is dressed in red silk and preparing tea.
(b) She is still in her flannel pajamas with her hair all messy.
(c) She is naked.
(d) She is barefoot, wearing a worn plush gown with her hair in braids.
8. The morning after talking with the Rabbi, where does Gimpel go?
(a) To see Elka.
(b) To see the baker.
(c) To see the Rabbi again.
(d) To another town.
9. The morning after talking with the Rabbi, what does Gimpel say after he arrives at his destination?
(a) He is hungry and needs bread.
(b) He has made a mistake.
(c) He is happy to be in a new place.
(d) He is in love with Elka and will never leave.
10. While Elka is in labor, what does she scream to Gimpel?
(a) "Pray for us!"
(b) "I'm going. Forgive me!"
(c) "I hate you!"
(d) "You suck!"
11. How does Gimpel begin to feel about Elka?
(a) He hates her.
(b) He loves her.
(c) He ignores her.
(d) He is ambivalent.
12. Does Gimpel believe Elka's story about the child?
(b) He isn't sure.
(c) Yes, but he knows he can't tell fact from fiction, so really no.
13. After the feast celebrating the birth of their child, what does Elka ask Gimpel?
(a) Why he isn't tired.
(b) If he still loves her.
(c) Why he is silent.
(d) If he is happy.
14. What is Gimpel's nickname?
(a) Gimpel the Dunce.
(b) Gimpel the Butthead.
(c) Gimpel the Stupid.
(d) Gimpel the Fool.
15. Rather than get angry himself, what does Gimpel do when presented with a prank?
(a) Laughs and then tries the same joke on someone else.
(b) Calmly tells the pranksters he knows a joke when he hears one.
(c) Believes the pranksters and hopes it does them some good.
(d) Runs away.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Gimpel bluntly states that Elka has borne a bastard, what does Elka claim?
2. What is the true relation of the person who lives with Elka?
3. What story does Elka tell Gimpel in an attempt to convince him that the child is his?
4. After hearing of Elka's infidelity, what does the Rabbi tell Gimpel to do?
5. What wedding gift made Gimpel suspicious?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)