|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Gimpel live?
2. Who is the child named after?
(a) Gimpel's mother.
(b) Elka's father.
(c) Elka's mother.
(d) Gimpel's father.
3. Who is the child's favorite person?
(a) Tha Baker.
(d) The Rabbi.
4. What does Elka do ten times a day?
(b) Threaten to divorce Gimpel.
(c) Tell Gimpel how much she loves him.
5. When does Gimpel receive his nickname?
(a) As an adult.
(b) He doesn't have a nickname.
(c) As a baby.
(d) When he is a schoolboy.
6. Although he is furious, why doesn't Gimpel awaken Elka in a rage?
(a) He isn't really angry.
(b) He knows the baby likes to sleep next to its mother.
(c) He doesn't want to awaken the baby with fright.
(d) He is jealous that Elka has won over his new girlfriend.
7. What happens when the sexton announces the birth of Gimpel's child at the synagogue?
(a) The House of Prayer rings with laughter.
(b) The congregation cheers.
(c) Gimpel is deafened with sobbing.
(d) There is silence.
8. What is happening as Gimpel walks to Elka's house?
(a) The Baker is running after Gimpel to talk him out of it.
(b) The Rabbi is advising Gimpel on how to propose to Elka.
(c) The townspeople are hollering and chorusing.
(d) It starts to rain.
9. When the Rabbi hears what Gimpel has said about Elka's infidelity, what does he say?
(a) He knew that Gimpel would be happy in a new town.
(b) Gimpel eats too much.
(c) Elka deserves to be loved and forgiven.
(d) He will have to reconsider the case.
10. What does a mid-week event allow Gimpel to do?
(a) Get a new job.
(b) Leave Elka and marry someone else.
(c) Admit to his thieving.
(d) Go home to sleep in his own bed.
11. Why does Gimpel have to live with someone other than his parents?
(a) He was a bad child.
(b) He didn't like his parents.
(c) His dad died and his mother didn't want him.
(d) Both of his parents died.
12. What is the first thing Gimpel says about himself?
(a) He doesn't think himself a fool.
(b) He thinks himself handsome.
(c) He thinks himself a fool.
(d) He doesn't think himself worthy of life.
13. What wedding gift made Gimpel suspicious?
(b) A shovel and a set of knives.
(c) A Bible.
(d) A crib.
14. When he visits Elka's house, what takes Gimpel's breath away?
(a) The amount of dust on everything.
(b) Elka's beauty.
(c) Elka's decorating skills.
(d) The reeking smell.
15. Who follows Gimpel to Elka's house?
(a) The townspeople.
(b) The Baker.
(c) Gimpel's parents.
(d) The Rabbi.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gimpel begin to feel about Elka?
2. What is Gimpel's objection to Elka's premarital requirement?
3. When Gimpel states that he will "never marry that whore", what do the townspeople say?
4. What does Gimpel see in his bed next to Elka?
5. After wanting to go home mid-week, who does Gimpel go to for advice?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)