|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do the townspeople say lives with Elka?
(a) Her uncle.
(b) Her little sister.
(c) Her little brother.
(d) Her husband.
2. What wedding gift made Gimpel suspicious?
(a) A shovel and a set of knives.
(c) A crib.
(d) A Bible.
3. How are Elka's premarital demands met?
(a) Gimpel builds a new house.
(b) The townspeople take up a collection.
(c) Gimpel takes a mistress.
(d) Gimpel buys a dog.
4. What story does Elka tell Gimpel in an attempt to convince him that the child is his?
(a) The child has Gimpel's nose and ears.
(b) Elka's grandmother, whom she resembles, carried for the same short amount of time.
(c) Gimpel was drunk one night nine months ago and came to visit her.
(d) An angel came to Elka in a dream and told her she would be the mother to the second coming of Christ.
5. What does Gimpel see in his bed next to Elka?
(a) An empty space for him to sleep.
(b) A man's form.
(c) The baby.
(d) His new love interest.
6. What happens whenever Gimpel doesn't believe the pranksters?
(a) They admit they were pulling a prank.
(b) They get angry.
(c) They try the prank on someone else.
(d) They walk away.
7. Who does Gimpel go to for advice?
(a) The Rabbi.
(b) The Farmer.
(c) His parents.
(d) The Baker.
8. Who beats up on Gimpel?
(b) Elka's "little brother"/bastard.
(c) The baker.
(d) The townspeople.
9. Although he is furious, why doesn't Gimpel awaken Elka in a rage?
(a) He doesn't want to awaken the baby with fright.
(b) He isn't really angry.
(c) He knows the baby likes to sleep next to its mother.
(d) He is jealous that Elka has won over his new girlfriend.
10. What happens when the sexton announces the birth of Gimpel's child at the synagogue?
(a) Gimpel is deafened with sobbing.
(b) The congregation cheers.
(c) The House of Prayer rings with laughter.
(d) There is silence.
11. Because of Gimpel's thieving, what happens to Elka?
(a) She becomes over-accessorized.
(b) She becomes the mother of the best-dressed baby in the land.
(c) She becomes rich.
(d) She becomes fat and handsome.
12. When the Rabbi hears what Gimpel has said about Elka's infidelity, what does he say?
(a) He will have to reconsider the case.
(b) He knew that Gimpel would be happy in a new town.
(c) Gimpel eats too much.
(d) Elka deserves to be loved and forgiven.
13. Who is the child named after?
(a) Gimpel's mother.
(b) Elka's father.
(c) Elka's mother.
(d) Gimpel's father.
14. Who is the child's favorite person?
(b) Tha Baker.
(d) The Rabbi.
15. What is Gimpel's profession?
Short Answer Questions
1. As a joke, what do the townspeople tell Gimpel has happened to his parents?
2. When he visits Elka's house, what takes Gimpel's breath away?
3. After his parents, who does Gimpel go to live with?
4. After wanting to go home mid-week, who does Gimpel go to for advice?
5. What is Gimpel's nickname?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)