|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gimpel begin to feel about Elka?
(a) He hates her.
(b) He ignores her.
(c) He loves her.
(d) He is ambivalent.
2. How does Gimpel feel about Elka's infidelity?
3. Why are the townspeople afraid of Elka?
(a) She has a fierce tongue.
(b) She is a murderess.
(c) She is prone to rages and hits people.
(d) She is bad luck.
4. When Gimpel hints that Elka has fooled him, how does Elka respond?
(a) She tells him that he is in fact a fool.
(b) She begins to sob uncontrollably.
(c) She pretends not to know what he is talking about.
(d) She is silent.
5. The morning after talking with the Rabbi, what does Gimpel say after he arrives at his destination?
(a) He is happy to be in a new place.
(b) He is in love with Elka and will never leave.
(c) He is hungry and needs bread.
(d) He has made a mistake.
6. Does Gimpel believe Elka's story about the child?
(a) Yes, but he knows he can't tell fact from fiction, so really no.
(b) He isn't sure.
7. What is the first thing Gimpel says about himself?
(a) He doesn't think himself worthy of life.
(b) He thinks himself a fool.
(c) He thinks himself handsome.
(d) He doesn't think himself a fool.
8. What does Gimpel steal for Elka?
(c) Baby clothes.
9. What happens whenever Gimpel doesn't believe the pranksters?
(a) They admit they were pulling a prank.
(b) They get angry.
(c) They try the prank on someone else.
(d) They walk away.
10. Instead of raisins, what do the other children put in Gimpel's hand?
(b) Goat turds.
11. What does the Rabbi eventually allow Gimpel to do?
(a) Go back to work.
(b) Eat everything he wants.
(c) Send bread and money to Elka.
12. Where are Gimpel and Elka married?
(a) The synagogue.
(b) The cemetery.
(c) The bakery.
(d) Their new house.
13. When Gimpel comes home over the weekends, what does Elka do?
(a) Make excuses to avoid sex.
(b) Leave the house.
(c) Cook Gimpel's favorite meals.
(d) Shower Gimpel wih love.
14. What is the true relation of the person who lives with Elka?
(a) He is her cousin.
(b) He is her uncle.
(c) He is her brother.
(d) He is her illegitimate son.
15. After hearing of Elka's infidelity, what does the Rabbi tell Gimpel to do?
(a) Divorce Elka.
(b) Kill Elka.
(c) Forgive Elka.
(d) Move to another town.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Rabbi's daughter make Gimpel do?
2. Where does Gimpel live?
3. Rather than get angry himself, what does Gimpel do when presented with a prank?
4. The morning after talking with the Rabbi, where does Gimpel go?
5. What story does Elka tell Gimpel in an attempt to convince him that the child is his?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)