Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the feast celebrating the birth of their child, what does Elka ask Gimpel?
(a) If he is happy.
(b) Why he is silent.
(c) Why he isn't tired.
(d) If he still loves her.
2. The morning after talking with the Rabbi, what does Gimpel say after he arrives at his destination?
(a) He is in love with Elka and will never leave.
(b) He is hungry and needs bread.
(c) He is happy to be in a new place.
(d) He has made a mistake.
3. Does Gimpel believe Elka's story about the child?
(b) Yes, but he knows he can't tell fact from fiction, so really no.
(d) He isn't sure.
4. When Gimpel hints that Elka has fooled him, how does Elka respond?
(a) She pretends not to know what he is talking about.
(b) She tells him that he is in fact a fool.
(c) She begins to sob uncontrollably.
(d) She is silent.
5. Where does Gimpel want to go?
(c) Off to another town.
(d) To hell.
6. What is Gimpel's profession?
7. After Gimpel enters his house, what does he hear?
(a) Elka sobbing.
(b) Double snores.
(c) Elka fighting with his new girlfriend.
(d) The baby crying.
8. Who wants Gimpel to marry Elka?
(a) The townspeople.
(b) His parents.
(c) The Rabbi.
(d) The Farmer.
9. How does Elka look when Gimpel visits her home?
(a) She is barefoot, wearing a worn plush gown with her hair in braids.
(b) She is still in her flannel pajamas with her hair all messy.
(c) She is naked.
(d) She is dressed in red silk and preparing tea.
10. What happens when the sexton announces the birth of Gimpel's child at the synagogue?
(a) There is silence.
(b) Gimpel is deafened with sobbing.
(c) The congregation cheers.
(d) The House of Prayer rings with laughter.
11. Because of Gimpel's thieving, what happens to Elka?
(a) She becomes the mother of the best-dressed baby in the land.
(b) She becomes over-accessorized.
(c) She becomes rich.
(d) She becomes fat and handsome.
12. Traditionally, what were husbands supposed to do while their wives were in childbirth?
(a) Hold the wife's hand while she screamed.
(b) Visit the Rabbi.
(c) Wait outside the birthing quarters and pray.
(d) Visit the House of Prayer and repeat psalms.
13. Why are the townspeople afraid of Elka?
(a) She is bad luck.
(b) She is prone to rages and hits people.
(c) She has a fierce tongue.
(d) She is a murderess.
14. What does Gimpel steal for Elka?
(a) Baby clothes.
15. Who do the townspeople say lives with Elka?
(a) Her little sister.
(b) Her little brother.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her uncle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Judging by Gimpel's description, how is Elka's current living situation?
2. Who is the third person that Gimpel has to live with?
3. What is the true relation of the person who lives with Elka?
4. Although he is furious, why doesn't Gimpel awaken Elka in a rage?
5. Who calls Gimpel by his nickname?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)