|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gimpel is what?
(b) Audio Assistant.
(d) Overweight child.
2. Who is the main character of the story?
(a) The rabbi.
(b) The Devil.
3. What advice is given to Gimpel?
(a) That he his not a fool. They are the fools.
(b) That he should bake more bread.
(c) That he is foolish and should accept it.
(d) That he should laugh off the jokes.
4. The morning after talking with the Rabbi, what does Gimpel say after he arrives at his destination?
(a) He is in love with Elka and will never leave.
(b) He is happy to be in a new place.
(c) He is hungry and needs bread.
(d) He has made a mistake.
5. What honor and ritual is Gimpel responsible for at the birth celebration?
(a) The circumcision.
(b) The betrothal.
(c) The blessing and naming.
(d) None-- Elka is responsible for everything.
6. What is Gimpel's response to Elka's wedding night claims?
(a) He has a headache too.
(b) He is resolute on being celibate.
(c) Elka had the ritual bath yesterday, which happens after her monthly is over.
(d) He likes the idea of having two houses.
7. Traditionally, what were husbands supposed to do while their wives were in childbirth?
(a) Hold the wife's hand while she screamed.
(b) Visit the Rabbi.
(c) Wait outside the birthing quarters and pray.
(d) Visit the House of Prayer and repeat psalms.
8. The day after Elka's explanation about the child, who does Gimpel visit to talk things over?
(a) The baker.
(b) The schoolmaster.
(c) The Rabbi.
(d) The townspeople.
9. What does Gimpel steal for Elka?
(a) Baby clothes.
10. What does a mid-week event allow Gimpel to do?
(a) Admit to his thieving.
(b) Leave Elka and marry someone else.
(c) Get a new job.
(d) Go home to sleep in his own bed.
11. When he visits Elka's house, what takes Gimpel's breath away?
(a) The reeking smell.
(b) Elka's decorating skills.
(c) The amount of dust on everything.
(d) Elka's beauty.
12. What is said about Elka at the wedding ceremony?
(a) She smells bad.
(b) She doesn't really love Gimpel.
(c) She isn't fit to be wed.
(d) She is both a widow and divorced.
13. What is Gimpel's profession?
14. Who beats up on Gimpel?
(a) Elka's "little brother"/bastard.
(b) The townspeople.
(d) The baker.
15. What is the true relation of the person who lives with Elka?
(a) He is her cousin.
(b) He is her illegitimate son.
(c) He is her brother.
(d) He is her uncle.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Gimpel enters his house, what does he hear?
2. Who is the child's favorite person?
3. Although he is furious, why doesn't Gimpel awaken Elka in a rage?
4. After wanting to go home mid-week, who does Gimpel go to for advice?
5. Where does Gimpel want to go?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)