|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What physical imperfection does Elka have?
(a) She has twelve fingers.
(b) She can't have children.
(c) She is missing her left arm.
(d) She walks with a limp.
2. Who is the third person that Gimpel has to live with?
(a) The Baker.
(b) The Farmer.
(d) The Rabbi.
3. What falsehood do the townspeople tell Gimpel about Elka?
(a) Elka can't wait to meet Gimpel.
(b) Elka is a chaste maiden.
(c) Elka is in love with Gimpel.
(d) Elka is a Christian.
4. What festivities occurred at Gimpel and Elka's wedding?
(a) Drinking, singing and dancing.
(b) None--no one came to the wedding.
(c) Poker and Yahtzee were played.
(d) Eating contests.
5. What is Elka's response to Gimpel's evidence that the child is not his?
(a) Gimpel was wrong about being infertile.
(b) The child is his; it was just a premature birth.
(c) She reiterates that Gimpel knew she was pregnant before he married her.
(d) The child has Gimpel's nose.
6. What happens whenever Gimpel doesn't believe the pranksters?
(a) They admit they were pulling a prank.
(b) They walk away.
(c) They get angry.
(d) They try the prank on someone else.
7. While Elka is in labor, what does she scream to Gimpel?
(a) "I hate you!"
(b) "You suck!"
(c) "Pray for us!"
(d) "I'm going. Forgive me!"
8. What is Gimpel's objection to Elka's premarital requirement?
(a) He tells her it's the bride, not the groom, who offers a dowry.
(b) He is allergic to dogs.
(c) He tells her he already has a house built for them.
(d) He doesn't want to be celibate.
9. What is evident when Gimpel visits Elka?
(a) She already knows who he is.
(b) She is surprised to see him.
(c) She doesn't like him.
(d) She secretly loves him.
10. How does Gimpel begin to feel about Elka?
(a) He is ambivalent.
(b) He hates her.
(c) He loves her.
(d) He ignores her.
11. What happens mid-week at the bakery?
(a) Gimpel is caught stealing bread.
(b) Gimpel meets a new love interest.
(c) The oven bursts and almost causes a fire.
(d) Gimpel gets fired from his job.
12. When does Gimpel receive his nickname?
(a) He doesn't have a nickname.
(b) As a baby.
(c) As an adult.
(d) When he is a schoolboy.
13. After hearing of Elka's infidelity, what does the Rabbi say Gimpel cannot do?
(a) Contact Elka.
(b) Forgive Elka.
(d) Divorce Elka.
14. After his parents, who does Gimpel go to live with?
(a) His Uncle.
(b) His Grandfather.
(c) A farmer.
(d) The Rabbi.
15. What is said about Elka at the wedding ceremony?
(a) She isn't fit to be wed.
(b) She smells bad.
(c) She doesn't really love Gimpel.
(d) She is both a widow and divorced.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Elka look when Gimpel visits her home?
2. When people glare at the child, what does Gimpel do?
3. What wedding gift made Gimpel suspicious?
4. The day after Elka's explanation about the child, who does Gimpel visit to talk things over?
5. Where are Gimpel and Elka married?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)