|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Gimpel receive his nickname?
(a) As a baby.
(b) When he is a schoolboy.
(c) He doesn't have a nickname.
(d) As an adult.
2. What does Elka do ten times a day?
(b) Threaten to divorce Gimpel.
(c) Tell Gimpel how much she loves him.
3. How does Elka look when Gimpel visits her home?
(a) She is still in her flannel pajamas with her hair all messy.
(b) She is naked.
(c) She is barefoot, wearing a worn plush gown with her hair in braids.
(d) She is dressed in red silk and preparing tea.
4. What does Gimpel steal for Elka?
(d) Baby clothes.
5. What does Gimpel say about his ability to fight back?
(a) His parents won't let him hit people.
(b) He beats people up when he gets angry.
(c) He is no weakling but prefers to let it pass.
(d) He is small and cannot fight.
6. What festivities occurred at Gimpel and Elka's wedding?
(a) Poker and Yahtzee were played.
(b) None--no one came to the wedding.
(c) Eating contests.
(d) Drinking, singing and dancing.
7. After hearing of Elka's infidelity, what does the Rabbi tell Gimpel to do?
(a) Divorce Elka.
(b) Kill Elka.
(c) Move to another town.
(d) Forgive Elka.
8. Does Gimpel believe Elka's story about the child?
(a) He isn't sure.
(d) Yes, but he knows he can't tell fact from fiction, so really no.
9. How does Gimpel rationalize Elka's behavior?
(a) "I have done the same."
(b) "You can't live without errors."
(c) "Anything is possible"
(d) "She loves someone else."
10. Because of Gimpel's thieving, what happens to Elka?
(a) She becomes rich.
(b) She becomes the mother of the best-dressed baby in the land.
(c) She becomes over-accessorized.
(d) She becomes fat and handsome.
11. What is evident when Gimpel visits Elka?
(a) She secretly loves him.
(b) She already knows who he is.
(c) She doesn't like him.
(d) She is surprised to see him.
12. Who is the child's favorite person?
(a) Tha Baker.
(d) The Rabbi.
13. Where does Gimpel sleep during the week?
(a) The pub.
(b) The barn.
(c) The synagogue.
(d) The bakery.
14. Why does Gimpel have to live with someone other than his parents?
(a) He was a bad child.
(b) Both of his parents died.
(c) He didn't like his parents.
(d) His dad died and his mother didn't want him.
15. When Gimpel comes home over the weekends, what does Elka do?
(a) Cook Gimpel's favorite meals.
(b) Leave the house.
(c) Shower Gimpel wih love.
(d) Make excuses to avoid sex.
Short Answer Questions
1. When presented with accusations of infidelity, what does Elka do?
2. Gimpel is what?
3. What happens four months after Gimpel and Elka get married?
4. What does the Rabbi eventually allow Gimpel to do?
5. While Elka is in labor, what does she scream to Gimpel?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)