|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the third person that Gimpel has to live with?
(a) The Baker.
(b) The Rabbi.
(d) The Farmer.
2. When Gimpel bluntly states that Elka has borne a bastard, what does Elka claim?
(a) She has borne the new Jesus.
(b) The child is a miracle from God.
(c) Gimpel is the father.
(d) Gimpel knew she was pregnant when he married her.
3. After hearing of Elka's infidelity, what does the Rabbi tell Gimpel to do?
(a) Divorce Elka.
(b) Move to another town.
(c) Kill Elka.
(d) Forgive Elka.
4. What does Elka tell Gimpel has happened on their wedding night?
(a) She has a headache.
(b) She has decided that she wants more children.
(c) She has gotten her monthly.
(d) She has already bought another house.
5. When he visits Elka's house, what takes Gimpel's breath away?
(a) Elka's decorating skills.
(b) Elka's beauty.
(c) The reeking smell.
(d) The amount of dust on everything.
6. How does Gimpel begin to feel about Elka?
(a) He hates her.
(b) He ignores her.
(c) He is ambivalent.
(d) He loves her.
7. What does Gimpel say about his ability to fight back?
(a) He is no weakling but prefers to let it pass.
(b) His parents won't let him hit people.
(c) He beats people up when he gets angry.
(d) He is small and cannot fight.
8. What does the Rabbi eventually allow Gimpel to do?
(a) Go back to work.
(b) Send bread and money to Elka.
(c) Eat everything he wants.
9. After Gimpel enters his house, what does he hear?
(a) The baby crying.
(b) Elka fighting with his new girlfriend.
(c) Double snores.
(d) Elka sobbing.
10. What happens on Gimpel and Elka's wedding night?
(a) Elka locks Gimpel out of the bedroom.
(b) Gimpel falls alseep before Elka does.
(c) Gimpel surprises Elka with a new house.
(d) Gimpel breaks his vow of celebacy.
11. After seeing the suspicious wedding gift, what is Gimpel's resolution?
(a) He will see what comes of it.
(b) He will run for his life.
(c) He is resolved to embrace Christianity.
(d) He will kill Elka first.
12. Judging by Gimpel's description, how is Elka's current living situation?
(a) Very poor.
(b) Very clean.
(c) Very dusty.
(d) Very wealthy.
13. What happens when the sexton announces the birth of Gimpel's child at the synagogue?
(a) The congregation cheers.
(b) The House of Prayer rings with laughter.
(c) There is silence.
(d) Gimpel is deafened with sobbing.
14. What does the Rabbi's daughter make Gimpel do?
(a) Trip and fall.
(b) Give her some bread.
(c) Kiss her.
(d) Kiss the wall.
15. What is Gimpel's objection to Elka's premarital requirement?
(a) He tells her he already has a house built for them.
(b) He is allergic to dogs.
(c) He tells her it's the bride, not the groom, who offers a dowry.
(d) He doesn't want to be celibate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What falsehood do the townspeople tell Gimpel about Elka?
2. What is Gimpel's nickname?
3. After the feast celebrating the birth of their child, what does Elka ask Gimpel?
4. What is Elka's response to Gimpel's evidence that the child is not his?
5. Who is the child named after?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)