|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gimpel say most men would do in his situation?
(a) Take French leave and disappear.
(b) Work more.
(c) Demand more sex from his wife.
(d) Sleep more.
2. Who follows Gimpel to Elka's house?
(a) The Baker.
(b) Gimpel's parents.
(c) The townspeople.
(d) The Rabbi.
3. What happens whenever Gimpel doesn't believe the pranksters?
(a) They get angry.
(b) They admit they were pulling a prank.
(c) They walk away.
(d) They try the prank on someone else.
4. Does Gimpel believe Elka's story about the child?
(a) Yes, but he knows he can't tell fact from fiction, so really no.
(c) He isn't sure.
5. What does Elka do ten times a day?
(a) Threaten to divorce Gimpel.
(d) Tell Gimpel how much she loves him.
6. When Gimpel states that he will "never marry that whore", what do the townspeople say?
(a) That no one blames him if he doesn't want to marry Elka.
(b) That he should be ashamed of giving Elka a bad name and they can have him fined by the Rabbi.
(c) That he should be glad that she's easy.
(d) That Elka is a prostitute.
7. What does Elka give birth to?
(b) A Girl.
(c) A Boy.
(d) A Hermaphrodite.
8. What honor and ritual is Gimpel responsible for at the birth celebration?
(a) The betrothal.
(b) None-- Elka is responsible for everything.
(c) The blessing and naming.
(d) The circumcision.
9. What does Gimpel do while Elka is in childbirth?
(a) Visits the Rabbi.
(b) Holds Elka's hand while she screams.
(c) Waits outside the birthing quarters and prays.
(d) Visits the House of Prayer and repeats psalms.
10. What does the Rabbi's daughter make Gimpel do?
(a) Trip and fall.
(b) Give her some bread.
(c) Kiss her.
(d) Kiss the wall.
11. Even though Gimpel wanted to sleep at home, where does he stay instead?
(a) The bakery.
(b) The street.
(c) The cemetery.
(d) The pub.
12. What is the true relation of the person who lives with Elka?
(a) He is her illegitimate son.
(b) He is her brother.
(c) He is her uncle.
(d) He is her cousin.
13. What is Gimpel's defense against being called foolish?
(a) Everything is possible.
(b) He likes jokes.
(c) He can't tell when people are kidding.
(d) He is stupid.
14. When Gimpel hints that Elka has fooled him, how does Elka respond?
(a) She pretends not to know what he is talking about.
(b) She tells him that he is in fact a fool.
(c) She begins to sob uncontrollably.
(d) She is silent.
15. What happens on Gimpel and Elka's wedding night?
(a) Gimpel falls alseep before Elka does.
(b) Elka locks Gimpel out of the bedroom.
(c) Gimpel breaks his vow of celebacy.
(d) Gimpel surprises Elka with a new house.
Short Answer Questions
1. The morning after talking with the Rabbi, where does Gimpel go?
2. Who is the third person that Gimpel has to live with?
3. What is happening as Gimpel walks to Elka's house?
4. When Gimpel bluntly states that Elka has borne a bastard, what does Elka claim?
5. After his parents, who does Gimpel go to live with?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)