|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are Ishtar and her priestesses in Enkidu's dream?
(a) Gathered on top of the mountain.
(b) In the river.
(c) Gathered on top of the city wall.
(d) Surrounding him.
2. What does one of the scorpion-men do upon seeing Gilgamesh?
(a) He attempts to kill him.
(b) He tells him to turn around and go home.
(c) He asks his identity.
(d) He bows down to his King.
3. What does Sabitu explain that Gilgamesh will find?
(a) A steep cliff.
(b) An island with a man in a hammock.
(c) A high mountain.
(d) A boat and a boat pilot named Urshanabi.
4. What request is Gilgamesh unable to do?
(a) Keep from becoming angry.
(b) Chop down enough straight poles.
(c) Find Enkidu.
(d) Stay awake for seven days and nights.
5. What happens to Gilgamesh, after reaching the plant?
(a) The animals chase him into the forest.
(b) The night sends him into a cave.
(c) The water spits him onto the opposing shore.
(d) The cliff shakes him off the edge.
6. What does this god ask Gilgamesh?
(a) How he came to be here in the garden, so gaunt and disheveled.
(b) Where he has been.
(c) Why he does not turn back.
(d) Why he has not found Enkidu.
7. What does this plant do?
(a) It will make one immortal, if touched.
(b) It will create endless happiness, if smelled.
(c) It will renew youth, if eaten.
(d) It will kill one, if eaten.
8. What does Gilgamesh do when he notices this?
(a) He tries to revive the plant.
(b) He pursues the animals.
(c) He jumps in the water.
(d) He pursues the animal.
9. How long does the storm last?
(a) For one hundred days and nights.
(b) For forty days and nights.
(c) For six days and nights.
(d) For ten days and nights.
10. Of what does Utnapishtim tell Gilgamesh?
(a) A magic flower that grows in a nearby field.
(b) A magic weed that grows at the bottom of the Bitter River.
(c) A magic tree that grows on the banks of the Bitter River.
(d) A magic bush that grows on a cliff.
11. Is man meant to be immortal?
12. What does Utnapishtim think about Gilgamesh's response?
(a) He is surprised.
(b) He is pleased.
(c) He is displeased.
(d) He is saddened.
13. Of what does Chapter Nine mark the beginning?
(a) The second episode of the epic of Gilgamesh.
(b) The third episode of the epic of Gilgamesh.
(c) The second episode of the epic of Enkidu.
(d) The third episode of the epic of Enkidu.
14. What does Utnapishtim agree to do?
(a) Be kind to Gilgamesh.
(b) Help Gilgamesh get home.
(c) Tell Gilgamesh the story of how he became immortal.
(d) Not punish the boatman.
15. What does Urshanabi offer Gilgamesh?
(b) A new boat.
(c) Another option.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gilgamesh immediately repent?
2. What does Ea tell Utnapishtim he must do?
3. What does Gilgamesh wonder about Utnapishtim?
4. Utnapishtim does as he has been told by Ea while the other citizens of Shuruppak do what?
5. How many straight poles must Gilgamesh cut down?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)