|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the King respond?
(a) He responds with a question.
(b) The same way he always has responded.
(c) He responds differently than he has in the past.
(d) He does not answer.
2. How long does the storm last?
(a) For six days and nights.
(b) For one hundred days and nights.
(c) For ten days and nights.
(d) For forty days and nights.
3. What request is Gilgamesh unable to do?
(a) Chop down enough straight poles.
(b) Keep from becoming angry.
(c) Find Enkidu.
(d) Stay awake for seven days and nights.
4. What does one of the scorpion-men do upon seeing Gilgamesh?
(a) He bows down to his King.
(b) He tells him to turn around and go home.
(c) He asks his identity.
(d) He attempts to kill him.
5. How has Gilgamesh made travel in the boat impossible?
(a) By destroying the deck.
(b) By destroying the sails.
(c) By breaking the oars.
(d) By breaking the oarlocks.
6. Why does Gilgamesh immediately repent?
(a) He fears Ishtar's wrath.
(b) He feels instant remorse.
(c) He hears his ancestor's name.
(d) He hears the voice of Shamash.
7. What does Sabitu do after he thanks her?
(a) She ignores him.
(b) She points him toward the Bitter River.
(c) She laughs at him.
(d) She shoves him out the door.
8. Is man meant to be immortal?
9. What does the wife of Utnapishtim urge her husband to give Gilgamesh?
(a) A hug.
(c) Something that will allow him to return to Uruk honorably.
(d) A chance to find Enkidu.
10. What does this plant do?
(a) It will make one immortal, if touched.
(b) It will create endless happiness, if smelled.
(c) It will kill one, if eaten.
(d) It will renew youth, if eaten.
11. What happens when both Gilgamesh and Urshanabi take a morsel of the plant?
(a) They become violently ill.
(b) They are happier than they ever imagined they could be.
(c) They suddenly feel all heaviness drop from their limbs.
(d) They become immortal.
12. What does Gilgamesh wonder about Utnapishtim?
(a) Why he left Gilgamesh's mother.
(b) How did he come to be immortal.
(c) If he is immortal.
(d) Why he lives by the Bitter River.
13. What does Utnapishtim think about Gilgamesh's appearance?
(a) He is disgusted by it.
(b) He is upset by it.
(c) He is angered by it.
(d) He is surprised by it.
14. What does Sabitu ask Gilgamesh about his appearance?
(a) Why he is dressed in animal skins and why his skin appears as if it is badly burnt.
(b) Why is is so dirty.
(c) Why he is still so handsome after his travels.
(d) Why is seems so tired.
15. What does Urshanabi offer Gilgamesh?
(a) A new boat.
(b) Another option.
Short Answer Questions
1. Through the trees, what does Gilgamesh see?
2. What does the scorpion-man describe to Gilgamesh?
3. Does Utnapishtim agree to aid Gilgamesh in his impossible mission?
4. What bird is sent out and does not return?
5. Why has Gilgamesh come to seek his ancestor?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)