|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sabitu do after exiting her house?
(a) She offers Gilgamesh food and wine and a place to sit.
(b) She looks for Gilgamesh's ancestor.
(c) She sends Gilgamesh away.
(d) She calls for the gods.
2. How does Gilgamesh arrive at the shore of the Bitter River?
(a) With many incidents.
(c) Without incident.
3. For how long does Enkidu sleep?
(a) Twelve days.
(b) Fifteen days.
(c) Thirtten days.
(d) Fourteen days.
4. Why does Gilgamesh immediately repent?
(a) He hears his ancestor's name.
(b) He fears Ishtar's wrath.
(c) He hears the voice of Shamash.
(d) He feels instant remorse.
5. What does Utnapishtim think about Gilgamesh's response?
(a) He is displeased.
(b) He is pleased.
(c) He is surprised.
(d) He is saddened.
6. What happens as Gilgamesh bathes?
(a) The magic plant falls back in the water.
(b) The magic plant shrivels and dies.
(c) The magic plant is quickly absconded with by a snake.
(d) The magic plant is eaten by the animals.
7. Why does she feel this way about Gilgamesh?
(a) He has wild and unkempt looks.
(b) He has disturbed her peace.
(c) He is very handsome.
(d) He came upon her very quietly.
8. What is the difficulty in getting the plant?
(a) Getting it before the waters of the river kill him.
(b) Getting it before other animals get it.
(c) Getting it before an earthquake hits.
(d) Getting it before nightfall.
9. What bird is sent out and does not return?
(a) A dove.
(b) A swallow.
(c) A crane.
(d) A crow.
10. What does Gilgamesh assure Enkidu?
(a) If he goes back to the forest, Gilgamesh will send Harim with him.
(b) If he goes to the underworld, Gilgamesh will wait at the gate until they let Enkidu out again.
(c) If he goes to the underworld, he goes alone.
(d) If he leaves Uruk, Gilgamesh will surely die.
11. What do most of the gods want?
(a) Enkidu to be killed.
(b) Ishtar to leave Enkidu alone.
(c) Gilgamesh to protect Enkidu.
(d) Ishtar to exile both Enkidu and Gilgamesh.
12. How is Gilgamesh treated by Utnapishtim?
(a) He is warmly welcomed.
(b) He is rebuked.
(c) He is ignored.
(d) He is humiliated.
13. How does the King respond?
(a) He responds differently than he has in the past.
(b) He responds with a question.
(c) The same way he always has responded.
(d) He does not answer.
14. What request is Gilgamesh unable to do?
(a) Find Enkidu.
(b) Stay awake for seven days and nights.
(c) Keep from becoming angry.
(d) Chop down enough straight poles.
15. For whom does Utnapishtim prepare a feast?
(a) The people who survived the flood.
(b) The gods.
(c) The animals.
(d) His family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is natural to man?
2. Of what does Sabitu remind the King?
3. What does Sabitu do after he thanks her?
4. How does the wife of Utnapishtim describe Gilgamesh?
5. When the water recedes on what is Utnapishtim's construction caught?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)