|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Enkidu then hear?
(a) The laughter of the other gods.
(b) The cries of the other gods.
(c) The screams of the other gods.
(d) The angry voices of the other gods.
2. What happens to Gilgamesh, after reaching the plant?
(a) The cliff shakes him off the edge.
(b) The water spits him onto the opposing shore.
(c) The animals chase him into the forest.
(d) The night sends him into a cave.
3. What happens as Gilgamesh bathes?
(a) The magic plant is eaten by the animals.
(b) The magic plant is quickly absconded with by a snake.
(c) The magic plant falls back in the water.
(d) The magic plant shrivels and dies.
4. What does Ea tell Utnapishtim he must do?
(a) Construct a wagon.
(b) Construct a train.
(c) Construct an ark.
(d) Construct a building.
5. How is Gilgamesh treated by Utnapishtim?
(a) He is ignored.
(b) He is rebuked.
(c) He is humiliated.
(d) He is warmly welcomed.
6. What does this plant do?
(a) It will kill one, if eaten.
(b) It will make one immortal, if touched.
(c) It will create endless happiness, if smelled.
(d) It will renew youth, if eaten.
7. Where do the two decide to rest and sleep?
(a) In a cave.
(b) On the edge of the cliff.
(c) At a spot with a fresh spring.
(d) By the river.
8. Looking up at the towering peaks, what does Gilgamesh wonder?
(a) If he has truly reached the mountains, whose peaks touch the heavens, and whose foundations reach into the bowels of the earth.
(b) How he will make it to the top.
(c) Where Enkidu.
(d) If the gods live on the tops of the peaks.
9. How has Gilgamesh made travel in the boat impossible?
(a) By breaking the oarlocks.
(b) By destroying the deck.
(c) By destroying the sails.
(d) By breaking the oars.
10. What does Urshanabi offer Gilgamesh?
(b) Another option.
(c) A new boat.
11. What request is Gilgamesh unable to do?
(a) Stay awake for seven days and nights.
(b) Find Enkidu.
(c) Chop down enough straight poles.
(d) Keep from becoming angry.
12. What does Gilgamesh do for many days and nights?
(c) Wanders on foot.
13. What do most of the gods want?
(a) Ishtar to leave Enkidu alone.
(b) Ishtar to exile both Enkidu and Gilgamesh.
(c) Gilgamesh to protect Enkidu.
(d) Enkidu to be killed.
14. Why has Gilgamesh come to seek his ancestor?
(a) So he can build a friendship with him.
(b) So he can tell Gilgamesh where Enkidu is and whether of not Gilgamesh must die.
(c) So he can meet his family.
(d) So he can become immortal.
15. What happens when both Gilgamesh and Urshanabi take a morsel of the plant?
(a) They become violently ill.
(b) They suddenly feel all heaviness drop from their limbs.
(c) They are happier than they ever imagined they could be.
(d) They become immortal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Utnapishtim tell Gilgamesh?
2. What does Enkidu do to the tall cedar gate, the hunters, and Harim?
3. What does Utnapishtim begin at the beginning of this chapter?
4. What bird is sent out and does not return?
5. Unable to revive his friend, what does Gilgamesh do?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)