|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sabitu explain that Gilgamesh will find?
(a) A boat and a boat pilot named Urshanabi.
(b) A high mountain.
(c) A steep cliff.
(d) An island with a man in a hammock.
2. Why has Gilgamesh come to seek his ancestor?
(a) So he can become immortal.
(b) So he can tell Gilgamesh where Enkidu is and whether of not Gilgamesh must die.
(c) So he can meet his family.
(d) So he can build a friendship with him.
3. Unable to revive his friend, what does Gilgamesh do?
(a) He wanders aimlessly through the streets.
(b) He begs Shamash for help.
(c) He goes to the forest.
(d) He goes to his goddess-mother to question his own mortality.
4. For whom does Utnapishtim prepare a feast?
(a) The gods.
(b) The animals.
(c) The people who survived the flood.
(d) His family.
5. What prevents Gilgamesh from doing any further damage?
(a) A god calls his name.
(b) Lightning strikes the boat and destroys it.
(c) He collapses.
(d) The boatman demands to know who dares to damage the boat of Utnapishtim.
6. What does Sabitu do after he thanks her?
(a) She shoves him out the door.
(b) She laughs at him.
(c) She points him toward the Bitter River.
(d) She ignores him.
7. What happens to Enkidu?
(a) He becomes angry with Gilgamesh.
(b) He marries Ishtar.
(c) He contracts a fever and his dreams grow more intense.
(d) He is poisoned.
8. What does Utnapishtim demand to know about the stranger?
(a) If he is intelligent.
(b) If he is a King.
(c) His identity and how he came to be there.
(d) Why he does not go home.
9. Of what does Sabitu remind the King?
(a) The floods.
(b) The earthquakes.
(c) The deadly Bitter River.
(d) The Mashu Mountains.
10. What happens when both Gilgamesh and Urshanabi take a morsel of the plant?
(a) They suddenly feel all heaviness drop from their limbs.
(b) They become immortal.
(c) They become violently ill.
(d) They are happier than they ever imagined they could be.
11. What does Sabitu say about what the King attempts?
(a) It is surprising.
(b) It is encouraging.
(c) It is very brave.
(d) It is impossible.
12. What does Utnapishtim begin at the beginning of this chapter?
(a) The story of how he came to live by the Bitter River.
(b) The story of how he gained his immortality.
(c) The story of how he met Gilgamesh's mother.
(d) The story of how he became friends with the gods.
13. What request is Gilgamesh unable to do?
(a) Keep from becoming angry.
(b) Chop down enough straight poles.
(c) Stay awake for seven days and nights.
(d) Find Enkidu.
14. Where are Ishtar and her priestesses in Enkidu's dream?
(a) Gathered on top of the mountain.
(b) Gathered on top of the city wall.
(c) In the river.
(d) Surrounding him.
15. What does Sabitu ask the King?
(a) What he seeks.
(b) Why he does not go home.
(c) Why he seeks his ancestor.
(d) If she may join him on his journey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sabitu ask Gilgamesh about his appearance?
2. What does Gilgamesh reason?
3. What does Utnapishtim agree to do?
4. Does Utnapishtim agree to aid Gilgamesh in his impossible mission?
5. Why does the dove that is released return?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)