|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Utnapishtim demand to know about the stranger?
(a) Why he does not go home.
(b) If he is intelligent.
(c) If he is a King.
(d) His identity and how he came to be there.
2. How does the scorpion man's wife reply?
(a) Do not kill the stranger. Let him speak.
(b) The stranger is two-thirds god and one-third man.
(c) This is Gilgamesh, our King.
(d) Allow the stranger to stay.
3. Unable to revive his friend, what does Gilgamesh do?
(a) He begs Shamash for help.
(b) He goes to his goddess-mother to question his own mortality.
(c) He goes to the forest.
(d) He wanders aimlessly through the streets.
4. What does Utnapishtim agree to do?
(a) Help Gilgamesh get home.
(b) Not punish the boatman.
(c) Tell Gilgamesh the story of how he became immortal.
(d) Be kind to Gilgamesh.
5. What happens when both Gilgamesh and Urshanabi take a morsel of the plant?
(a) They are happier than they ever imagined they could be.
(b) They become violently ill.
(c) They become immortal.
(d) They suddenly feel all heaviness drop from their limbs.
6. What does Sabitu do after exiting her house?
(a) She looks for Gilgamesh's ancestor.
(b) She offers Gilgamesh food and wine and a place to sit.
(c) She calls for the gods.
(d) She sends Gilgamesh away.
7. What does the wife of Utnapishtim urge her husband to give Gilgamesh?
(a) Something that will allow him to return to Uruk honorably.
(b) A chance to find Enkidu.
(c) A hug.
8. Through the trees, what does Gilgamesh see?
(a) The face of Ishtar.
(b) The face of Ellil.
(c) The face of Shamash.
(d) The face of Anu.
9. How does the King respond?
(a) He responds differently than he has in the past.
(b) He does not answer.
(c) He responds with a question.
(d) The same way he always has responded.
10. What does the scorpion-man urge Gilgamesh to do?
(a) Leave him be.
(b) Give up his quest.
(c) Continue his quest.
(d) Bring him with him.
11. What happens as Gilgamesh bathes?
(a) The magic plant falls back in the water.
(b) The magic plant shrivels and dies.
(c) The magic plant is eaten by the animals.
(d) The magic plant is quickly absconded with by a snake.
12. Is man meant to be immortal?
13. What does Utnapishtim promise to do to the boatman?
(a) Treat him the way he has always treated him.
(b) Ignore him.
(c) Reward him for aiding Gilgamesh on his journey.
(d) Punish him who aided Gilgamesh on his journey.
14. What does Sabitu say about what the King attempts?
(a) It is very brave.
(b) It is encouraging.
(c) It is impossible.
(d) It is surprising.
15. What request is Gilgamesh unable to do?
(a) Chop down enough straight poles.
(b) Keep from becoming angry.
(c) Stay awake for seven days and nights.
(d) Find Enkidu.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Enkidu?
2. Immediately following the slaying of the creature, what happens to Enkidu?
3. What does Sabitu ask Gilgamesh about his appearance?
4. What does Enkidu do to the tall cedar gate, the hunters, and Harim?
5. What happens after eleven days and nights of this leg of Gilgamesh's journey?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)