|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gilgamesh do for many days and nights?
(c) Wanders on foot.
2. Why does Gilgamesh lift a stone and throw it down onto the boat?
(a) He is unable to control his impatient anger.
(b) He hopes to wake the boatman.
(c) He is afraid of the boatman.
(d) He does not know what to do.
3. How has Gilgamesh made travel in the boat impossible?
(a) By destroying the sails.
(b) By breaking the oars.
(c) By destroying the deck.
(d) By breaking the oarlocks.
4. What does Gilgamesh beg Enkidu to do?
(a) Forget his dream.
(b) Relate the dreams so that he can tell them to his mother.
(c) Stay awake.
(d) Leave Uruk.
5. What happens as Gilgamesh bathes?
(a) The magic plant shrivels and dies.
(b) The magic plant falls back in the water.
(c) The magic plant is eaten by the animals.
(d) The magic plant is quickly absconded with by a snake.
6. What does Urshanabi feel for Gilgamesh?
7. Of what does Chapter Nine mark the beginning?
(a) The second episode of the epic of Gilgamesh.
(b) The third episode of the epic of Gilgamesh.
(c) The second episode of the epic of Enkidu.
(d) The third episode of the epic of Enkidu.
8. What does the wife of Utnapishtim urge her husband to give Gilgamesh?
(a) Something that will allow him to return to Uruk honorably.
(c) A hug.
(d) A chance to find Enkidu.
9. How does the wife of Utnapishtim describe Gilgamesh?
(a) A stranger.
(b) As an odd looking man.
(c) A filthy mess.
(d) As a young man, thin and haggered, but otherwise like to she and her husband.
10. What does Ea tell Utnapishtim he must do?
(a) Construct a wagon.
(b) Construct a building.
(c) Construct a train.
(d) Construct an ark.
11. What does this plant do?
(a) It will kill one, if eaten.
(b) It will make one immortal, if touched.
(c) It will create endless happiness, if smelled.
(d) It will renew youth, if eaten.
12. What bird is sent out and does not return?
(a) A crow.
(b) A crane.
(c) A dove.
(d) A swallow.
13. What does Sabitu explain that Gilgamesh will find?
(a) An island with a man in a hammock.
(b) A steep cliff.
(c) A high mountain.
(d) A boat and a boat pilot named Urshanabi.
14. Why does the dove that is released return?
(a) Having found no place to land.
(b) It is afraid to go to land.
(c) It misses the creatures on the ark.
(d) It has been told to return.
15. Unable to revive his friend, what does Gilgamesh do?
(a) He goes to his goddess-mother to question his own mortality.
(b) He begs Shamash for help.
(c) He goes to the forest.
(d) He wanders aimlessly through the streets.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sabitu do after he thanks her?
2. What does the boatman tell Gilgamesh?
3. For how long does Enkidu sleep?
4. Immediately following the slaying of the creature, what happens to Enkidu?
5. Can one become immortal by feats of daring alone?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)