|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what does Utnapishtim tell Gilgamesh?
(a) A magic weed that grows at the bottom of the Bitter River.
(b) A magic tree that grows on the banks of the Bitter River.
(c) A magic flower that grows in a nearby field.
(d) A magic bush that grows on a cliff.
2. Looking up at the towering peaks, what does Gilgamesh wonder?
(a) If he has truly reached the mountains, whose peaks touch the heavens, and whose foundations reach into the bowels of the earth.
(b) How he will make it to the top.
(c) Where Enkidu.
(d) If the gods live on the tops of the peaks.
3. How has Gilgamesh made travel in the boat impossible?
(a) By breaking the oars.
(b) By destroying the sails.
(c) By breaking the oarlocks.
(d) By destroying the deck.
4. What does the wife of Utnapishtim urge her husband to give Gilgamesh?
(a) A chance to find Enkidu.
(b) A hug.
(d) Something that will allow him to return to Uruk honorably.
5. How long does Gilgamesh wait for Urshanabi to arrive?
(a) Untold days and nights.
(b) Ten days and nights.
(c) Twenty-four days and nights.
(d) Four days and nights.
6. Why is Urshanabi banished from the place for all time?
(a) For helping Gilgamesh in the first place.
(b) For not helping Utnapishtim as often as he should.
(c) For not helping Gilgamesh immediately.
(d) For not being immortal.
7. What does Sabitu do after exiting her house?
(a) She calls for the gods.
(b) She looks for Gilgamesh's ancestor.
(c) She sends Gilgamesh away.
(d) She offers Gilgamesh food and wine and a place to sit.
8. What does Utnapishtim agree to do?
(a) Help Gilgamesh get home.
(b) Tell Gilgamesh the story of how he became immortal.
(c) Not punish the boatman.
(d) Be kind to Gilgamesh.
9. How does the King respond?
(a) He responds with a question.
(b) He does not answer.
(c) The same way he always has responded.
(d) He responds differently than he has in the past.
10. What does Gilgamesh do when he notices this?
(a) He pursues the animal.
(b) He jumps in the water.
(c) He tries to revive the plant.
(d) He pursues the animals.
11. Can one become immortal by feats of daring alone?
12. What does Utnapishtim promise to do to the boatman?
(a) Treat him the way he has always treated him.
(b) Ignore him.
(c) Reward him for aiding Gilgamesh on his journey.
(d) Punish him who aided Gilgamesh on his journey.
13. Where do the two decide to rest and sleep?
(a) By the river.
(b) At a spot with a fresh spring.
(c) On the edge of the cliff.
(d) In a cave.
14. For how long does Enkidu sleep?
(a) Fifteen days.
(b) Fourteen days.
(c) Thirtten days.
(d) Twelve days.
15. Immediately following the slaying of the creature, what happens to Enkidu?
(a) He becomes fearful of the gods.
(b) He dies.
(c) He leaves Uruk.
(d) He begins having dreams full of ominous portents.
Short Answer Questions
1. Is man meant to be immortal?
2. How long does the storm last?
3. What do most of the gods want?
4. Why does Gilgamesh lament to Utnapishtim?
5. What does Urshanabi offer Gilgamesh?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)