|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the scorpion-man describe to Gilgamesh?
(a) The perils of passing through the caverns.
(b) The terain of the surrounding land.
(c) His ancestors.
(d) The path to take.
2. What happens to Gilgamesh, after reaching the plant?
(a) The water spits him onto the opposing shore.
(b) The animals chase him into the forest.
(c) The cliff shakes him off the edge.
(d) The night sends him into a cave.
3. Does Utnapishtim agree to aid Gilgamesh in his impossible mission?
(b) At first.
(c) Not necessarily.
4. Looking up at the towering peaks, what does Gilgamesh wonder?
(a) If the gods live on the tops of the peaks.
(b) If he has truly reached the mountains, whose peaks touch the heavens, and whose foundations reach into the bowels of the earth.
(c) Where Enkidu.
(d) How he will make it to the top.
5. Of what does Sabitu remind the King?
(a) The Mashu Mountains.
(b) The floods.
(c) The deadly Bitter River.
(d) The earthquakes.
6. Why does Gilgamesh lift a stone and throw it down onto the boat?
(a) He does not know what to do.
(b) He hopes to wake the boatman.
(c) He is unable to control his impatient anger.
(d) He is afraid of the boatman.
7. What does this plant do?
(a) It will make one immortal, if touched.
(b) It will renew youth, if eaten.
(c) It will kill one, if eaten.
(d) It will create endless happiness, if smelled.
8. What does Sabitu say about what the King attempts?
(a) It is encouraging.
(b) It is surprising.
(c) It is very brave.
(d) It is impossible.
9. After Gilgamesh tells his story, how does Utnapishtim answer?
(a) In a very different way from the others.
(b) He laughs at him.
(c) In much the same way Gilgamesh has been answered all along.
(d) He does not answer him.
10. What happens as Gilgamesh bathes?
(a) The magic plant shrivels and dies.
(b) The magic plant falls back in the water.
(c) The magic plant is eaten by the animals.
(d) The magic plant is quickly absconded with by a snake.
11. What happens after eleven days and nights of this leg of Gilgamesh's journey?
(a) He sees Anu.
(b) He meets Enkidu.
(c) He see a trace of light.
(d) He is in complete darkness.
12. How does the scorpion man's wife reply?
(a) This is Gilgamesh, our King.
(b) The stranger is two-thirds god and one-third man.
(c) Allow the stranger to stay.
(d) Do not kill the stranger. Let him speak.
13. How does the King respond?
(a) He responds with a question.
(b) The same way he always has responded.
(c) He responds differently than he has in the past.
(d) He does not answer.
14. What does Gilgamesh wonder about Utnapishtim?
(a) Why he lives by the Bitter River.
(b) If he is immortal.
(c) How did he come to be immortal.
(d) Why he left Gilgamesh's mother.
15. Can one become immortal by feats of daring alone?
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long does Enkidu sleep?
2. Immediately following the slaying of the creature, what happens to Enkidu?
3. What does Urshanabi offer Gilgamesh?
4. What does Sabitu ask Gilgamesh about his appearance?
5. Why does Gilgamesh lament to Utnapishtim?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)