|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Through the trees, what does Gilgamesh see?
(a) The face of Shamash.
(b) The face of Ishtar.
(c) The face of Anu.
(d) The face of Ellil.
2. What does Utnapishtim begin at the beginning of this chapter?
(a) The story of how he met Gilgamesh's mother.
(b) The story of how he came to live by the Bitter River.
(c) The story of how he gained his immortality.
(d) The story of how he became friends with the gods.
3. What does Sabitu do after exiting her house?
(a) She offers Gilgamesh food and wine and a place to sit.
(b) She looks for Gilgamesh's ancestor.
(c) She calls for the gods.
(d) She sends Gilgamesh away.
4. Looking up at the towering peaks, what does Gilgamesh wonder?
(a) If he has truly reached the mountains, whose peaks touch the heavens, and whose foundations reach into the bowels of the earth.
(b) If the gods live on the tops of the peaks.
(c) Where Enkidu.
(d) How he will make it to the top.
5. What is Utnapishtim doing at the beginning of this chapter?
(a) Lying in his hammock on the further shore of the Bitter River.
(b) Eating dinner.
(c) Chopping firewood.
(d) Fishing in the Bitter River.
6. Does Utnapishtim agree to aid Gilgamesh in his impossible mission?
(b) Not necessarily.
(c) At first.
7. What is Gilgamesh's explanation?
(a) He lies about his travels.
(b) He tells her nothing.
(c) He tells her a part of the story.
(d) He tells the story of Enkidu's death and his terrible journey.
8. What does the scorpion-man urge Gilgamesh to do?
(a) Give up his quest.
(b) Leave him be.
(c) Bring him with him.
(d) Continue his quest.
9. Gilgamesh must traverse the deep caverns beneath the Mountains of Mashu in order to reach whom?
10. Why does she feel this way about Gilgamesh?
(a) He came upon her very quietly.
(b) He has disturbed her peace.
(c) He has wild and unkempt looks.
(d) He is very handsome.
11. Why does the dove that is released return?
(a) It misses the creatures on the ark.
(b) Having found no place to land.
(c) It is afraid to go to land.
(d) It has been told to return.
12. What does Gilgamesh reason?
(a) Because Enkidu is not the King, he should be the only one banished.
(b) Because the gods like him, he should become immortal.
(c) Because they committed all their acts together, they cannot die separately.
(d) Because Ishtar is unkind, she should be killed.
13. Of what does Utnapishtim tell Gilgamesh?
(a) A magic bush that grows on a cliff.
(b) A magic flower that grows in a nearby field.
(c) A magic weed that grows at the bottom of the Bitter River.
(d) A magic tree that grows on the banks of the Bitter River.
14. Unable to revive his friend, what does Gilgamesh do?
(a) He begs Shamash for help.
(b) He goes to his goddess-mother to question his own mortality.
(c) He goes to the forest.
(d) He wanders aimlessly through the streets.
15. What does Utnapishtim agree to do?
(a) Help Gilgamesh get home.
(b) Tell Gilgamesh the story of how he became immortal.
(c) Not punish the boatman.
(d) Be kind to Gilgamesh.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Gilgamesh tells his story, how does Utnapishtim answer?
2. What happens as Gilgamesh bathes?
3. Where does Utnapishtim order the boatman to take Gilgamesh?
4. What does Gilgamesh do for many days and nights?
5. How long does the storm last?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)