|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Utnapishtim think about Gilgamesh's response?
(a) He is saddened.
(b) He is pleased.
(c) He is surprised.
(d) He is displeased.
2. How does Gilgamesh arrive at the shore of the Bitter River?
(b) Without incident.
(d) With many incidents.
3. What does Gilgamesh beg Enkidu to do?
(a) Forget his dream.
(b) Stay awake.
(c) Leave Uruk.
(d) Relate the dreams so that he can tell them to his mother.
4. What does Utnapishtim begin at the beginning of this chapter?
(a) The story of how he gained his immortality.
(b) The story of how he met Gilgamesh's mother.
(c) The story of how he became friends with the gods.
(d) The story of how he came to live by the Bitter River.
5. What does this plant do?
(a) It will kill one, if eaten.
(b) It will renew youth, if eaten.
(c) It will make one immortal, if touched.
(d) It will create endless happiness, if smelled.
6. How does the King respond?
(a) He responds differently than he has in the past.
(b) The same way he always has responded.
(c) He does not answer.
(d) He responds with a question.
7. What do most of the gods want?
(a) Ishtar to exile both Enkidu and Gilgamesh.
(b) Ishtar to leave Enkidu alone.
(c) Gilgamesh to protect Enkidu.
(d) Enkidu to be killed.
8. Where do the two decide to rest and sleep?
(a) In a cave.
(b) At a spot with a fresh spring.
(c) On the edge of the cliff.
(d) By the river.
9. What does Urshanabi offer Gilgamesh?
(a) A new boat.
(b) Another option.
10. Why does Gilgamesh lament to Utnapishtim?
(a) He realizes he can become immortal.
(b) He realizes that his quest will be much longer than expected.
(c) He realizes that his quest is, indeed, hopeless.
(d) He realizes that Utnapishtim wants nothing to do with him.
11. What does Urshanabi feel for Gilgamesh?
12. What is natural to man?
13. For whom does Utnapishtim prepare a feast?
(a) The gods.
(b) The animals.
(c) The people who survived the flood.
(d) His family.
14. What does the god Shamash do to the sleeping Enkidu?
(a) He praises him.
(b) He kills him.
(c) He protects him.
(d) He scolds him.
15. What happens to Gilgamesh, after reaching the plant?
(a) The cliff shakes him off the edge.
(b) The animals chase him into the forest.
(c) The water spits him onto the opposing shore.
(d) The night sends him into a cave.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens as Gilgamesh bathes?
2. What prevents Gilgamesh from doing any further damage?
3. Unable to revive his friend, what does Gilgamesh do?
4. What is the difficulty in getting the plant?
5. What does Sabitu explain that Gilgamesh will find?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)