|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gilgamesh immediately repent?
(a) He hears his ancestor's name.
(b) He feels instant remorse.
(c) He fears Ishtar's wrath.
(d) He hears the voice of Shamash.
2. What does Gilgamesh do for many days and nights?
(a) Wanders on foot.
3. What does Sabitu explain that Gilgamesh will find?
(a) A boat and a boat pilot named Urshanabi.
(b) A high mountain.
(c) An island with a man in a hammock.
(d) A steep cliff.
4. What does Sabitu do after he thanks her?
(a) She ignores him.
(b) She laughs at him.
(c) She shoves him out the door.
(d) She points him toward the Bitter River.
5. What does Sabitu do after exiting her house?
(a) She calls for the gods.
(b) She looks for Gilgamesh's ancestor.
(c) She offers Gilgamesh food and wine and a place to sit.
(d) She sends Gilgamesh away.
6. What does this god ask Gilgamesh?
(a) How he came to be here in the garden, so gaunt and disheveled.
(b) Why he does not turn back.
(c) Where he has been.
(d) Why he has not found Enkidu.
7. What prevents Gilgamesh from doing any further damage?
(a) He collapses.
(b) Lightning strikes the boat and destroys it.
(c) The boatman demands to know who dares to damage the boat of Utnapishtim.
(d) A god calls his name.
8. What does Urshanabi feel for Gilgamesh?
9. Of what does Chapter Nine mark the beginning?
(a) The third episode of the epic of Gilgamesh.
(b) The third episode of the epic of Enkidu.
(c) The second episode of the epic of Enkidu.
(d) The second episode of the epic of Gilgamesh.
10. How has Gilgamesh made travel in the boat impossible?
(a) By breaking the oars.
(b) By destroying the deck.
(c) By destroying the sails.
(d) By breaking the oarlocks.
11. How does the King respond?
(a) He does not answer.
(b) The same way he always has responded.
(c) He responds differently than he has in the past.
(d) He responds with a question.
12. What does one of the scorpion-men do upon seeing Gilgamesh?
(a) He tells him to turn around and go home.
(b) He bows down to his King.
(c) He attempts to kill him.
(d) He asks his identity.
13. What does Enkidu then hear?
(a) The screams of the other gods.
(b) The angry voices of the other gods.
(c) The cries of the other gods.
(d) The laughter of the other gods.
14. What does the boatman tell Gilgamesh?
(a) No mortal shall cross the Bitter River.
(b) He must turn back.
(c) He must hurry to cross the Bitter River.
(d) No mortal has ever crossed the Bitter River.
15. Through the trees, what does Gilgamesh see?
(a) The face of Ellil.
(b) The face of Anu.
(c) The face of Ishtar.
(d) The face of Shamash.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Utnapishtim doing at the beginning of this chapter?
2. Immediately following the slaying of the creature, what happens to Enkidu?
3. How does Gilgamesh arrive at the shore of the Bitter River?
4. When the water recedes on what is Utnapishtim's construction caught?
5. What happens to Gilgamesh, after reaching the plant?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)