|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gilgamesh spot?
(a) The cliff off which he must jump.
(b) The boat that is to carry him across.
(c) The island with the man in a hammock.
(d) The mountain he must climb.
2. What does Utnapishtim promise to do to the boatman?
(a) Punish him who aided Gilgamesh on his journey.
(b) Treat him the way he has always treated him.
(c) Ignore him.
(d) Reward him for aiding Gilgamesh on his journey.
3. What does this plant do?
(a) It will kill one, if eaten.
(b) It will make one immortal, if touched.
(c) It will renew youth, if eaten.
(d) It will create endless happiness, if smelled.
4. What happens as Gilgamesh bathes?
(a) The magic plant shrivels and dies.
(b) The magic plant is quickly absconded with by a snake.
(c) The magic plant is eaten by the animals.
(d) The magic plant falls back in the water.
5. What does Sabitu ask Gilgamesh about his appearance?
(a) Why is is so dirty.
(b) Why is seems so tired.
(c) Why he is dressed in animal skins and why his skin appears as if it is badly burnt.
(d) Why he is still so handsome after his travels.
6. Why does Gilgamesh lament to Utnapishtim?
(a) He realizes that his quest is, indeed, hopeless.
(b) He realizes that his quest will be much longer than expected.
(c) He realizes that Utnapishtim wants nothing to do with him.
(d) He realizes he can become immortal.
7. What does Utnapishtim think about Gilgamesh's response?
(a) He is displeased.
(b) He is saddened.
(c) He is pleased.
(d) He is surprised.
8. Why is Urshanabi banished from the place for all time?
(a) For not being immortal.
(b) For not helping Utnapishtim as often as he should.
(c) For not helping Gilgamesh immediately.
(d) For helping Gilgamesh in the first place.
9. Unable to revive his friend, what does Gilgamesh do?
(a) He wanders aimlessly through the streets.
(b) He goes to his goddess-mother to question his own mortality.
(c) He goes to the forest.
(d) He begs Shamash for help.
10. Who blesses Utnapishtim and his wife, making them immortal?
11. What does Sabitu ask the King?
(a) What he seeks.
(b) If she may join him on his journey.
(c) Why he seeks his ancestor.
(d) Why he does not go home.
12. How many straight poles must Gilgamesh cut down?
(b) One hundred.
(c) One hundred and ten.
13. What does Utnapishtim demand to know about the stranger?
(a) If he is a King.
(b) If he is intelligent.
(c) Why he does not go home.
(d) His identity and how he came to be there.
14. What does Sabitu do after exiting her house?
(a) She sends Gilgamesh away.
(b) She offers Gilgamesh food and wine and a place to sit.
(c) She looks for Gilgamesh's ancestor.
(d) She calls for the gods.
15. Why does the dove that is released return?
(a) It is afraid to go to land.
(b) It has been told to return.
(c) It misses the creatures on the ark.
(d) Having found no place to land.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Gilgamesh made travel in the boat impossible?
2. What does Utnapishtim think about Gilgamesh's appearance?
3. Of what does Sabitu remind the King?
4. What does Gilgamesh reason?
5. Why does Gilgamesh lift a stone and throw it down onto the boat?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)