|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does one of the scorpion-men do upon seeing Gilgamesh?
(a) He attempts to kill him.
(b) He bows down to his King.
(c) He asks his identity.
(d) He tells him to turn around and go home.
2. How many straight poles must Gilgamesh cut down?
(a) One hundred and ten.
(b) One hundred.
3. Utnapishtim does as he has been told by Ea while the other citizens of Shuruppak do what?
(a) Build an ark.
(b) Go about their daily business.
(c) Taunt him.
(d) Prepare for the flood.
4. What does Sabitu ask Gilgamesh about his appearance?
(a) Why is seems so tired.
(b) Why he is still so handsome after his travels.
(c) Why he is dressed in animal skins and why his skin appears as if it is badly burnt.
(d) Why is is so dirty.
5. Can one become immortal by feats of daring alone?
6. What does Gilgamesh do when he notices this?
(a) He tries to revive the plant.
(b) He pursues the animal.
(c) He pursues the animals.
(d) He jumps in the water.
7. For whom does Utnapishtim prepare a feast?
(a) His family.
(b) The gods.
(c) The people who survived the flood.
(d) The animals.
8. How is Gilgamesh treated by Utnapishtim?
(a) He is ignored.
(b) He is rebuked.
(c) He is humiliated.
(d) He is warmly welcomed.
9. How long does Gilgamesh wait for Urshanabi to arrive?
(a) Four days and nights.
(b) Twenty-four days and nights.
(c) Untold days and nights.
(d) Ten days and nights.
10. What request is Gilgamesh unable to do?
(a) Keep from becoming angry.
(b) Find Enkidu.
(c) Chop down enough straight poles.
(d) Stay awake for seven days and nights.
11. What does Gilgamesh reason?
(a) Because Ishtar is unkind, she should be killed.
(b) Because they committed all their acts together, they cannot die separately.
(c) Because Enkidu is not the King, he should be the only one banished.
(d) Because the gods like him, he should become immortal.
12. What does Sabitu do after exiting her house?
(a) She looks for Gilgamesh's ancestor.
(b) She offers Gilgamesh food and wine and a place to sit.
(c) She sends Gilgamesh away.
(d) She calls for the gods.
13. Why does Gilgamesh lament to Utnapishtim?
(a) He realizes that his quest will be much longer than expected.
(b) He realizes that Utnapishtim wants nothing to do with him.
(c) He realizes that his quest is, indeed, hopeless.
(d) He realizes he can become immortal.
14. Of what does Utnapishtim tell Gilgamesh?
(a) A magic tree that grows on the banks of the Bitter River.
(b) A magic weed that grows at the bottom of the Bitter River.
(c) A magic flower that grows in a nearby field.
(d) A magic bush that grows on a cliff.
15. Of what does Sabitu remind the King?
(a) The deadly Bitter River.
(b) The floods.
(c) The earthquakes.
(d) The Mashu Mountains.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the scorpion man's wife reply?
2. What does this plant do?
3. What does the scorpion-man describe to Gilgamesh?
4. After Gilgamesh tells his story, how does Utnapishtim answer?
5. What does Utnapishtim think about Gilgamesh's appearance?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)