|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gilgamesh beg Enkidu to do?
(a) Stay awake.
(b) Forget his dream.
(c) Leave Uruk.
(d) Relate the dreams so that he can tell them to his mother.
2. When Utnapishtim was mortal, what job did he have?,
(a) He was a carpenter.
(b) He was a blacksmith.
(c) He was a merchant.
(d) He was a cobbler.
3. What happens as Gilgamesh bathes?
(a) The magic plant is eaten by the animals.
(b) The magic plant shrivels and dies.
(c) The magic plant falls back in the water.
(d) The magic plant is quickly absconded with by a snake.
4. What does Sabitu say about what the King attempts?
(a) It is very brave.
(b) It is encouraging.
(c) It is impossible.
(d) It is surprising.
5. What does this god ask Gilgamesh?
(a) Where he has been.
(b) Why he does not turn back.
(c) Why he has not found Enkidu.
(d) How he came to be here in the garden, so gaunt and disheveled.
6. What does Gilgamesh spot?
(a) The cliff off which he must jump.
(b) The mountain he must climb.
(c) The island with the man in a hammock.
(d) The boat that is to carry him across.
7. What happens to Gilgamesh, after reaching the plant?
(a) The animals chase him into the forest.
(b) The water spits him onto the opposing shore.
(c) The cliff shakes him off the edge.
(d) The night sends him into a cave.
8. What does Sabitu explain that Gilgamesh will find?
(a) An island with a man in a hammock.
(b) A boat and a boat pilot named Urshanabi.
(c) A high mountain.
(d) A steep cliff.
9. What request is Gilgamesh unable to do?
(a) Chop down enough straight poles.
(b) Stay awake for seven days and nights.
(c) Find Enkidu.
(d) Keep from becoming angry.
10. What does the scorpion-man describe to Gilgamesh?
(a) The path to take.
(b) His ancestors.
(c) The terain of the surrounding land.
(d) The perils of passing through the caverns.
11. What does Gilgamesh do when he notices this?
(a) He tries to revive the plant.
(b) He pursues the animal.
(c) He jumps in the water.
(d) He pursues the animals.
12. Why is Urshanabi banished from the place for all time?
(a) For not helping Gilgamesh immediately.
(b) For helping Gilgamesh in the first place.
(c) For not being immortal.
(d) For not helping Utnapishtim as often as he should.
13. What does Urshanabi offer Gilgamesh?
(b) Another option.
(d) A new boat.
14. How does the scorpion man's wife reply?
(a) Allow the stranger to stay.
(b) The stranger is two-thirds god and one-third man.
(c) Do not kill the stranger. Let him speak.
(d) This is Gilgamesh, our King.
15. What does Utnapishtim agree to do?
(a) Be kind to Gilgamesh.
(b) Help Gilgamesh get home.
(c) Tell Gilgamesh the story of how he became immortal.
(d) Not punish the boatman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the god Shamash do to the sleeping Enkidu?
2. For how long does Enkidu sleep?
3. How long does the storm last?
4. How does Gilgamesh arrive at the shore of the Bitter River?
5. For whom does Utnapishtim prepare a feast?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)