|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sabitu ask the King?
(a) Why he seeks his ancestor.
(b) If she may join him on his journey.
(c) Why he does not go home.
(d) What he seeks.
2. For whom does Utnapishtim prepare a feast?
(a) His family.
(b) The gods.
(c) The people who survived the flood.
(d) The animals.
3. What does Utnapishtim begin at the beginning of this chapter?
(a) The story of how he met Gilgamesh's mother.
(b) The story of how he gained his immortality.
(c) The story of how he came to live by the Bitter River.
(d) The story of how he became friends with the gods.
4. What does Sabitu say about what the King attempts?
(a) It is very brave.
(b) It is surprising.
(c) It is encouraging.
(d) It is impossible.
5. How does Gilgamesh arrive at the shore of the Bitter River?
(b) Without incident.
(d) With many incidents.
6. What does Gilgamesh do for many days and nights?
(d) Wanders on foot.
7. What does Sabitu do after he thanks her?
(a) She laughs at him.
(b) She points him toward the Bitter River.
(c) She ignores him.
(d) She shoves him out the door.
8. Why is Urshanabi banished from the place for all time?
(a) For helping Gilgamesh in the first place.
(b) For not helping Gilgamesh immediately.
(c) For not helping Utnapishtim as often as he should.
(d) For not being immortal.
9. What does Gilgamesh wonder about Utnapishtim?
(a) How did he come to be immortal.
(b) If he is immortal.
(c) Why he lives by the Bitter River.
(d) Why he left Gilgamesh's mother.
10. What does Urshanabi offer Gilgamesh?
(a) Another option.
(d) A new boat.
11. What does the wife of Utnapishtim urge her husband to give Gilgamesh?
(a) Something that will allow him to return to Uruk honorably.
(b) A hug.
(d) A chance to find Enkidu.
12. What happens to Gilgamesh, after reaching the plant?
(a) The water spits him onto the opposing shore.
(b) The animals chase him into the forest.
(c) The night sends him into a cave.
(d) The cliff shakes him off the edge.
13. How does the King respond?
(a) He responds differently than he has in the past.
(b) The same way he always has responded.
(c) He responds with a question.
(d) He does not answer.
14. What is the difficulty in getting the plant?
(a) Getting it before nightfall.
(b) Getting it before the waters of the river kill him.
(c) Getting it before an earthquake hits.
(d) Getting it before other animals get it.
15. What does Sabitu do after exiting her house?
(a) She calls for the gods.
(b) She offers Gilgamesh food and wine and a place to sit.
(c) She sends Gilgamesh away.
(d) She looks for Gilgamesh's ancestor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the dove that is released return?
2. What happens when both Gilgamesh and Urshanabi take a morsel of the plant?
3. What does Utnapishtim agree to do?
4. What bird is sent out and does not return?
5. Of what does Sabitu remind the King?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)