|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gilgamesh spot?
(a) The mountain he must climb.
(b) The boat that is to carry him across.
(c) The cliff off which he must jump.
(d) The island with the man in a hammock.
2. Why does she feel this way about Gilgamesh?
(a) He has disturbed her peace.
(b) He is very handsome.
(c) He came upon her very quietly.
(d) He has wild and unkempt looks.
3. What does the scorpion-man describe to Gilgamesh?
(a) The perils of passing through the caverns.
(b) His ancestors.
(c) The path to take.
(d) The terain of the surrounding land.
4. Utnapishtim does as he has been told by Ea while the other citizens of Shuruppak do what?
(a) Build an ark.
(b) Prepare for the flood.
(c) Go about their daily business.
(d) Taunt him.
5. What does Gilgamesh beg Enkidu to do?
(a) Forget his dream.
(b) Stay awake.
(c) Leave Uruk.
(d) Relate the dreams so that he can tell them to his mother.
6. What does Enkidu do to the tall cedar gate, the hunters, and Harim?
(a) He thanks them.
(b) He wonders what has happened to them.
(c) He misses them.
(d) He curses them.
7. What does the wife of Utnapishtim urge her husband to give Gilgamesh?
(b) A hug.
(c) A chance to find Enkidu.
(d) Something that will allow him to return to Uruk honorably.
8. Where do the two decide to rest and sleep?
(a) On the edge of the cliff.
(b) At a spot with a fresh spring.
(c) In a cave.
(d) By the river.
9. What does Gilgamesh smash?
(a) The deck.
(b) The oars.
(c) The sails.
(d) The oarlocks.
10. Of what does Chapter Nine mark the beginning?
(a) The second episode of the epic of Gilgamesh.
(b) The second episode of the epic of Enkidu.
(c) The third episode of the epic of Gilgamesh.
(d) The third episode of the epic of Enkidu.
11. What does Urshanabi feel for Gilgamesh?
12. Why does Gilgamesh lament to Utnapishtim?
(a) He realizes that his quest is, indeed, hopeless.
(b) He realizes that Utnapishtim wants nothing to do with him.
(c) He realizes he can become immortal.
(d) He realizes that his quest will be much longer than expected.
13. Of what does Utnapishtim tell Gilgamesh?
(a) A magic weed that grows at the bottom of the Bitter River.
(b) A magic flower that grows in a nearby field.
(c) A magic tree that grows on the banks of the Bitter River.
(d) A magic bush that grows on a cliff.
14. What is natural to man?
15. Does Utnapishtim agree to aid Gilgamesh in his impossible mission?
(b) At first.
(d) Not necessarily.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gilgamesh's explanation?
2. What does the boatman tell Gilgamesh?
3. What does Sabitu ask the King?
4. What does the scorpion-man urge Gilgamesh to do?
5. Is man meant to be immortal?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)