|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ea tell Utnapishtim he must do?
(a) Construct a building.
(b) Construct an ark.
(c) Construct a train.
(d) Construct a wagon.
2. Who blesses Utnapishtim and his wife, making them immortal?
3. How long does Gilgamesh wait for Urshanabi to arrive?
(a) Untold days and nights.
(b) Four days and nights.
(c) Twenty-four days and nights.
(d) Ten days and nights.
4. What does Gilgamesh wonder about Utnapishtim?
(a) How did he come to be immortal.
(b) If he is immortal.
(c) Why he left Gilgamesh's mother.
(d) Why he lives by the Bitter River.
5. For whom does Utnapishtim prepare a feast?
(a) The people who survived the flood.
(b) His family.
(c) The gods.
(d) The animals.
6. Does Utnapishtim agree to aid Gilgamesh in his impossible mission?
(b) Not necessarily.
(d) At first.
7. What does Sabitu say about what the King attempts?
(a) It is impossible.
(b) It is very brave.
(c) It is encouraging.
(d) It is surprising.
8. How does Gilgamesh arrive at the shore of the Bitter River?
(b) With many incidents.
(d) Without incident.
9. How is Gilgamesh treated by Utnapishtim?
(a) He is ignored.
(b) He is humiliated.
(c) He is warmly welcomed.
(d) He is rebuked.
10. How does the King respond?
(a) The same way he always has responded.
(b) He responds with a question.
(c) He responds differently than he has in the past.
(d) He does not answer.
11. Is man meant to be immortal?
12. What does this god ask Gilgamesh?
(a) Why he has not found Enkidu.
(b) Why he does not turn back.
(c) Where he has been.
(d) How he came to be here in the garden, so gaunt and disheveled.
13. Of what does Chapter Nine mark the beginning?
(a) The third episode of the epic of Enkidu.
(b) The third episode of the epic of Gilgamesh.
(c) The second episode of the epic of Enkidu.
(d) The second episode of the epic of Gilgamesh.
14. What does the scorpion-man urge Gilgamesh to do?
(a) Bring him with him.
(b) Continue his quest.
(c) Give up his quest.
(d) Leave him be.
15. Of what does Sabitu remind the King?
(a) The Mashu Mountains.
(b) The deadly Bitter River.
(c) The floods.
(d) The earthquakes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after eleven days and nights of this leg of Gilgamesh's journey?
2. What does Gilgamesh spot?
3. What does the boatman tell Gilgamesh?
4. How does the scorpion man's wife reply?
5. What does Enkidu do to the tall cedar gate, the hunters, and Harim?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)