|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sabitu explain that Gilgamesh will find?
(a) A high mountain.
(b) A steep cliff.
(c) A boat and a boat pilot named Urshanabi.
(d) An island with a man in a hammock.
2. Why does Gilgamesh lament to Utnapishtim?
(a) He realizes that Utnapishtim wants nothing to do with him.
(b) He realizes he can become immortal.
(c) He realizes that his quest is, indeed, hopeless.
(d) He realizes that his quest will be much longer than expected.
3. What bird is sent out and does not return?
(a) A crow.
(b) A swallow.
(c) A dove.
(d) A crane.
4. Can one become immortal by feats of daring alone?
5. What does Sabitu say about what the King attempts?
(a) It is surprising.
(b) It is impossible.
(c) It is very brave.
(d) It is encouraging.
6. Of what does Chapter Nine mark the beginning?
(a) The third episode of the epic of Enkidu.
(b) The third episode of the epic of Gilgamesh.
(c) The second episode of the epic of Enkidu.
(d) The second episode of the epic of Gilgamesh.
7. How has Gilgamesh made travel in the boat impossible?
(a) By destroying the deck.
(b) By destroying the sails.
(c) By breaking the oars.
(d) By breaking the oarlocks.
8. Why does she feel this way about Gilgamesh?
(a) He came upon her very quietly.
(b) He is very handsome.
(c) He has wild and unkempt looks.
(d) He has disturbed her peace.
9. What does this god ask Gilgamesh?
(a) Where he has been.
(b) How he came to be here in the garden, so gaunt and disheveled.
(c) Why he has not found Enkidu.
(d) Why he does not turn back.
10. Is man meant to be immortal?
11. What prevents Gilgamesh from doing any further damage?
(a) A god calls his name.
(b) He collapses.
(c) Lightning strikes the boat and destroys it.
(d) The boatman demands to know who dares to damage the boat of Utnapishtim.
12. What does one of the scorpion-men do upon seeing Gilgamesh?
(a) He attempts to kill him.
(b) He bows down to his King.
(c) He asks his identity.
(d) He tells him to turn around and go home.
13. What is natural to man?
14. Where do the two decide to rest and sleep?
(a) In a cave.
(b) At a spot with a fresh spring.
(c) By the river.
(d) On the edge of the cliff.
15. What does Sabitu ask the King?
(a) What he seeks.
(b) Why he seeks his ancestor.
(c) Why he does not go home.
(d) If she may join him on his journey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Enkidu then hear?
2. When the water recedes on what is Utnapishtim's construction caught?
3. Immediately following the slaying of the creature, what happens to Enkidu?
4. At first, how does the wine maiden Sabitu feel about Gilgamesh?
5. How does the King respond?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)