|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are Ishtar and her priestesses in Enkidu's dream?
(a) Gathered on top of the mountain.
(b) Surrounding him.
(c) In the river.
(d) Gathered on top of the city wall.
2. What does Utnapishtim agree to do?
(a) Tell Gilgamesh the story of how he became immortal.
(b) Be kind to Gilgamesh.
(c) Not punish the boatman.
(d) Help Gilgamesh get home.
3. What does the scorpion-man urge Gilgamesh to do?
(a) Leave him be.
(b) Give up his quest.
(c) Bring him with him.
(d) Continue his quest.
4. For whom does Utnapishtim prepare a feast?
(a) The animals.
(b) The people who survived the flood.
(c) His family.
(d) The gods.
5. What does Sabitu do after exiting her house?
(a) She offers Gilgamesh food and wine and a place to sit.
(b) She calls for the gods.
(c) She sends Gilgamesh away.
(d) She looks for Gilgamesh's ancestor.
6. What happens to Gilgamesh, after reaching the plant?
(a) The water spits him onto the opposing shore.
(b) The cliff shakes him off the edge.
(c) The night sends him into a cave.
(d) The animals chase him into the forest.
7. What does Sabitu ask the King?
(a) Why he seeks his ancestor.
(b) Why he does not go home.
(c) What he seeks.
(d) If she may join him on his journey.
8. What does Sabitu say about what the King attempts?
(a) It is encouraging.
(b) It is very brave.
(c) It is surprising.
(d) It is impossible.
9. Why has Gilgamesh come to seek his ancestor?
(a) So he can meet his family.
(b) So he can tell Gilgamesh where Enkidu is and whether of not Gilgamesh must die.
(c) So he can build a friendship with him.
(d) So he can become immortal.
10. What prevents Gilgamesh from doing any further damage?
(a) Lightning strikes the boat and destroys it.
(b) A god calls his name.
(c) The boatman demands to know who dares to damage the boat of Utnapishtim.
(d) He collapses.
11. How does the wife of Utnapishtim describe Gilgamesh?
(a) A stranger.
(b) As a young man, thin and haggered, but otherwise like to she and her husband.
(c) A filthy mess.
(d) As an odd looking man.
12. Why does Gilgamesh lift a stone and throw it down onto the boat?
(a) He is unable to control his impatient anger.
(b) He hopes to wake the boatman.
(c) He does not know what to do.
(d) He is afraid of the boatman.
13. What does Sabitu explain that Gilgamesh will find?
(a) An island with a man in a hammock.
(b) A boat and a boat pilot named Urshanabi.
(c) A steep cliff.
(d) A high mountain.
14. What is Utnapishtim doing at the beginning of this chapter?
(a) Chopping firewood.
(b) Fishing in the Bitter River.
(c) Eating dinner.
(d) Lying in his hammock on the further shore of the Bitter River.
15. Immediately following the slaying of the creature, what happens to Enkidu?
(a) He dies.
(b) He begins having dreams full of ominous portents.
(c) He becomes fearful of the gods.
(d) He leaves Uruk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the difficulty in getting the plant?
2. After Gilgamesh tells his story, how does Utnapishtim answer?
3. How has Gilgamesh made travel in the boat impossible?
4. How does Gilgamesh arrive at the shore of the Bitter River?
5. Is man meant to be immortal?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)