|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the wife of Utnapishtim urge her husband to give Gilgamesh?
(a) A chance to find Enkidu.
(b) Something that will allow him to return to Uruk honorably.
(d) A hug.
2. What does Enkidu then hear?
(a) The angry voices of the other gods.
(b) The cries of the other gods.
(c) The laughter of the other gods.
(d) The screams of the other gods.
3. What bird is sent out and does not return?
(a) A crane.
(b) A crow.
(c) A dove.
(d) A swallow.
4. What does Enkidu do to the tall cedar gate, the hunters, and Harim?
(a) He curses them.
(b) He wonders what has happened to them.
(c) He misses them.
(d) He thanks them.
5. When the water recedes on what is Utnapishtim's construction caught?
(a) A cliff.
(b) The top of a mountain.
(c) A volcano.
(d) A deep sea crater.
6. Of what does Utnapishtim tell Gilgamesh?
(a) A magic weed that grows at the bottom of the Bitter River.
(b) A magic tree that grows on the banks of the Bitter River.
(c) A magic bush that grows on a cliff.
(d) A magic flower that grows in a nearby field.
7. What does Ea tell Utnapishtim he must do?
(a) Construct a train.
(b) Construct a wagon.
(c) Construct an ark.
(d) Construct a building.
8. How has Gilgamesh made travel in the boat impossible?
(a) By breaking the oars.
(b) By destroying the sails.
(c) By breaking the oarlocks.
(d) By destroying the deck.
9. What does Gilgamesh do for many days and nights?
(a) Wanders on foot.
10. Who blesses Utnapishtim and his wife, making them immortal?
11. What does Sabitu do after he thanks her?
(a) She points him toward the Bitter River.
(b) She ignores him.
(c) She shoves him out the door.
(d) She laughs at him.
12. Looking up at the towering peaks, what does Gilgamesh wonder?
(a) Where Enkidu.
(b) If the gods live on the tops of the peaks.
(c) How he will make it to the top.
(d) If he has truly reached the mountains, whose peaks touch the heavens, and whose foundations reach into the bowels of the earth.
13. What does Gilgamesh spot?
(a) The mountain he must climb.
(b) The boat that is to carry him across.
(c) The island with the man in a hammock.
(d) The cliff off which he must jump.
14. What does this plant do?
(a) It will renew youth, if eaten.
(b) It will kill one, if eaten.
(c) It will make one immortal, if touched.
(d) It will create endless happiness, if smelled.
15. What happens when both Gilgamesh and Urshanabi take a morsel of the plant?
(a) They suddenly feel all heaviness drop from their limbs.
(b) They become violently ill.
(c) They become immortal.
(d) They are happier than they ever imagined they could be.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gilgamesh lift a stone and throw it down onto the boat?
2. What prevents Gilgamesh from doing any further damage?
3. What happens after eleven days and nights of this leg of Gilgamesh's journey?
4. What does one of the scorpion-men do upon seeing Gilgamesh?
5. What does Gilgamesh do when he notices this?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)