|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what does Sabitu remind the King?
(a) The earthquakes.
(b) The Mashu Mountains.
(c) The floods.
(d) The deadly Bitter River.
2. What does Gilgamesh do for many days and nights?
(d) Wanders on foot.
3. What does Sabitu say about what the King attempts?
(a) It is encouraging.
(b) It is impossible.
(c) It is surprising.
(d) It is very brave.
4. What do most of the gods want?
(a) Ishtar to exile both Enkidu and Gilgamesh.
(b) Gilgamesh to protect Enkidu.
(c) Enkidu to be killed.
(d) Ishtar to leave Enkidu alone.
5. How does the wife of Utnapishtim describe Gilgamesh?
(a) As a young man, thin and haggered, but otherwise like to she and her husband.
(b) A filthy mess.
(c) A stranger.
(d) As an odd looking man.
6. What does Sabitu do after he thanks her?
(a) She ignores him.
(b) She points him toward the Bitter River.
(c) She laughs at him.
(d) She shoves him out the door.
7. What does Sabitu ask Gilgamesh about his appearance?
(a) Why is is so dirty.
(b) Why is seems so tired.
(c) Why he is still so handsome after his travels.
(d) Why he is dressed in animal skins and why his skin appears as if it is badly burnt.
8. What does Sabitu ask the King?
(a) Why he does not go home.
(b) Why he seeks his ancestor.
(c) What he seeks.
(d) If she may join him on his journey.
9. What does the god Shamash do to the sleeping Enkidu?
(a) He kills him.
(b) He protects him.
(c) He scolds him.
(d) He praises him.
10. How does Gilgamesh arrive at the shore of the Bitter River?
(a) Without incident.
(b) With many incidents.
11. What does Gilgamesh smash?
(a) The oarlocks.
(b) The sails.
(c) The oars.
(d) The deck.
12. How has Gilgamesh made travel in the boat impossible?
(a) By breaking the oarlocks.
(b) By destroying the deck.
(c) By breaking the oars.
(d) By destroying the sails.
13. Does Utnapishtim agree to aid Gilgamesh in his impossible mission?
(b) At first.
(c) Not necessarily.
14. How does the King respond?
(a) The same way he always has responded.
(b) He does not answer.
(c) He responds differently than he has in the past.
(d) He responds with a question.
15. What is Gilgamesh's explanation?
(a) He tells her nothing.
(b) He tells her a part of the story.
(c) He tells the story of Enkidu's death and his terrible journey.
(d) He lies about his travels.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gilgamesh reason?
2. What does this god ask Gilgamesh?
3. Who blesses Utnapishtim and his wife, making them immortal?
4. Where are Ishtar and her priestesses in Enkidu's dream?
5. What does one of the scorpion-men do upon seeing Gilgamesh?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)