|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sabitu do after he thanks her?
(a) She shoves him out the door.
(b) She ignores him.
(c) She points him toward the Bitter River.
(d) She laughs at him.
2. Where does Utnapishtim order the boatman to take Gilgamesh?
(a) The underworld.
(b) A place where he can wash and change into more clothing appropriate for his journey home.
(c) Another town on the Bitter River.
(d) Home, immediately.
3. What does the scorpion-man describe to Gilgamesh?
(a) The path to take.
(b) The terain of the surrounding land.
(c) His ancestors.
(d) The perils of passing through the caverns.
4. Is man meant to be immortal?
5. Gilgamesh must traverse the deep caverns beneath the Mountains of Mashu in order to reach whom?
6. What does Utnapishtim think about Gilgamesh's appearance?
(a) He is surprised by it.
(b) He is angered by it.
(c) He is disgusted by it.
(d) He is upset by it.
7. What does Sabitu ask Gilgamesh about his appearance?
(a) Why he is still so handsome after his travels.
(b) Why is is so dirty.
(c) Why is seems so tired.
(d) Why he is dressed in animal skins and why his skin appears as if it is badly burnt.
8. What prevents Gilgamesh from doing any further damage?
(a) Lightning strikes the boat and destroys it.
(b) A god calls his name.
(c) He collapses.
(d) The boatman demands to know who dares to damage the boat of Utnapishtim.
9. Why does Gilgamesh immediately repent?
(a) He hears the voice of Shamash.
(b) He hears his ancestor's name.
(c) He feels instant remorse.
(d) He fears Ishtar's wrath.
10. What does Gilgamesh wonder about Utnapishtim?
(a) If he is immortal.
(b) How did he come to be immortal.
(c) Why he left Gilgamesh's mother.
(d) Why he lives by the Bitter River.
11. What does this plant do?
(a) It will renew youth, if eaten.
(b) It will kill one, if eaten.
(c) It will make one immortal, if touched.
(d) It will create endless happiness, if smelled.
12. Why does the dove that is released return?
(a) Having found no place to land.
(b) It misses the creatures on the ark.
(c) It has been told to return.
(d) It is afraid to go to land.
13. What does the wife of Utnapishtim urge her husband to give Gilgamesh?
(a) A chance to find Enkidu.
(b) A hug.
(d) Something that will allow him to return to Uruk honorably.
14. Why is Urshanabi banished from the place for all time?
(a) For helping Gilgamesh in the first place.
(b) For not being immortal.
(c) For not helping Gilgamesh immediately.
(d) For not helping Utnapishtim as often as he should.
15. What is the difficulty in getting the plant?
(a) Getting it before other animals get it.
(b) Getting it before the waters of the river kill him.
(c) Getting it before nightfall.
(d) Getting it before an earthquake hits.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Utnapishtim agree to aid Gilgamesh in his impossible mission?
2. Where do the two decide to rest and sleep?
3. What happens to Enkidu?
4. What does Sabitu explain that Gilgamesh will find?
5. How is Gilgamesh treated by Utnapishtim?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)