|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sabitu do after exiting her house?
(a) She sends Gilgamesh away.
(b) She calls for the gods.
(c) She looks for Gilgamesh's ancestor.
(d) She offers Gilgamesh food and wine and a place to sit.
2. Who blesses Utnapishtim and his wife, making them immortal?
3. What does Sabitu say about what the King attempts?
(a) It is surprising.
(b) It is very brave.
(c) It is impossible.
(d) It is encouraging.
4. What happens after eleven days and nights of this leg of Gilgamesh's journey?
(a) He is in complete darkness.
(b) He sees Anu.
(c) He see a trace of light.
(d) He meets Enkidu.
5. How does Gilgamesh arrive at the shore of the Bitter River?
(b) Without incident.
(d) With many incidents.
6. Utnapishtim does as he has been told by Ea while the other citizens of Shuruppak do what?
(a) Go about their daily business.
(b) Prepare for the flood.
(c) Taunt him.
(d) Build an ark.
7. After Gilgamesh tells his story, how does Utnapishtim answer?
(a) In much the same way Gilgamesh has been answered all along.
(b) He laughs at him.
(c) He does not answer him.
(d) In a very different way from the others.
8. What does Ea tell Utnapishtim he must do?
(a) Construct a train.
(b) Construct an ark.
(c) Construct a building.
(d) Construct a wagon.
9. Gilgamesh must traverse the deep caverns beneath the Mountains of Mashu in order to reach whom?
10. What does Sabitu do after he thanks her?
(a) She laughs at him.
(b) She points him toward the Bitter River.
(c) She ignores him.
(d) She shoves him out the door.
11. How does the wife of Utnapishtim describe Gilgamesh?
(a) A filthy mess.
(b) As a young man, thin and haggered, but otherwise like to she and her husband.
(c) A stranger.
(d) As an odd looking man.
12. What does Gilgamesh beg Enkidu to do?
(a) Forget his dream.
(b) Leave Uruk.
(c) Stay awake.
(d) Relate the dreams so that he can tell them to his mother.
13. For whom does Utnapishtim prepare a feast?
(a) The gods.
(b) The people who survived the flood.
(c) The animals.
(d) His family.
14. What does Sabitu ask Gilgamesh about his appearance?
(a) Why is seems so tired.
(b) Why he is dressed in animal skins and why his skin appears as if it is badly burnt.
(c) Why is is so dirty.
(d) Why he is still so handsome after his travels.
15. What does Gilgamesh wonder about Utnapishtim?
(a) How did he come to be immortal.
(b) Why he lives by the Bitter River.
(c) If he is immortal.
(d) Why he left Gilgamesh's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Utnapishtim agree to aid Gilgamesh in his impossible mission?
2. Unable to revive his friend, what does Gilgamesh do?
3. What does Enkidu then hear?
4. Why does Gilgamesh lift a stone and throw it down onto the boat?
5. How many straight poles must Gilgamesh cut down?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)