|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Utnapishtim agree to aid Gilgamesh in his impossible mission?
(a) Not necessarily.
(b) At first.
2. What happens as Gilgamesh bathes?
(a) The magic plant shrivels and dies.
(b) The magic plant falls back in the water.
(c) The magic plant is eaten by the animals.
(d) The magic plant is quickly absconded with by a snake.
3. What does Sabitu say about what the King attempts?
(a) It is impossible.
(b) It is very brave.
(c) It is surprising.
(d) It is encouraging.
4. How many straight poles must Gilgamesh cut down?
(b) One hundred and ten.
(c) One hundred.
5. How long does the storm last?
(a) For six days and nights.
(b) For forty days and nights.
(c) For ten days and nights.
(d) For one hundred days and nights.
6. Can one become immortal by feats of daring alone?
7. Why does Gilgamesh immediately repent?
(a) He feels instant remorse.
(b) He fears Ishtar's wrath.
(c) He hears the voice of Shamash.
(d) He hears his ancestor's name.
8. What is Utnapishtim doing at the beginning of this chapter?
(a) Eating dinner.
(b) Chopping firewood.
(c) Fishing in the Bitter River.
(d) Lying in his hammock on the further shore of the Bitter River.
9. What does this plant do?
(a) It will make one immortal, if touched.
(b) It will create endless happiness, if smelled.
(c) It will renew youth, if eaten.
(d) It will kill one, if eaten.
10. For how long does Enkidu sleep?
(a) Fifteen days.
(b) Fourteen days.
(c) Thirtten days.
(d) Twelve days.
11. What does Gilgamesh beg Enkidu to do?
(a) Forget his dream.
(b) Relate the dreams so that he can tell them to his mother.
(c) Stay awake.
(d) Leave Uruk.
12. What does Utnapishtim promise to do to the boatman?
(a) Punish him who aided Gilgamesh on his journey.
(b) Reward him for aiding Gilgamesh on his journey.
(c) Ignore him.
(d) Treat him the way he has always treated him.
13. Of what does Chapter Nine mark the beginning?
(a) The third episode of the epic of Enkidu.
(b) The third episode of the epic of Gilgamesh.
(c) The second episode of the epic of Enkidu.
(d) The second episode of the epic of Gilgamesh.
14. What does Gilgamesh do when he notices this?
(a) He pursues the animal.
(b) He tries to revive the plant.
(c) He jumps in the water.
(d) He pursues the animals.
15. What does Ea tell Utnapishtim he must do?
(a) Construct an ark.
(b) Construct a building.
(c) Construct a wagon.
(d) Construct a train.
Short Answer Questions
1. Utnapishtim does as he has been told by Ea while the other citizens of Shuruppak do what?
2. When Utnapishtim was mortal, what job did he have?,
3. What does Urshanabi offer Gilgamesh?
4. How long does Gilgamesh wait for Urshanabi to arrive?
5. What is natural to man?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)