|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gilgamesh spot?
(a) The island with the man in a hammock.
(b) The mountain he must climb.
(c) The cliff off which he must jump.
(d) The boat that is to carry him across.
2. For how long does Enkidu sleep?
(a) Fifteen days.
(b) Twelve days.
(c) Thirtten days.
(d) Fourteen days.
3. When the water recedes on what is Utnapishtim's construction caught?
(a) A volcano.
(b) A deep sea crater.
(c) A cliff.
(d) The top of a mountain.
4. What does this god ask Gilgamesh?
(a) Why he does not turn back.
(b) How he came to be here in the garden, so gaunt and disheveled.
(c) Why he has not found Enkidu.
(d) Where he has been.
5. How does the King respond?
(a) He responds differently than he has in the past.
(b) He does not answer.
(c) He responds with a question.
(d) The same way he always has responded.
6. How has Gilgamesh made travel in the boat impossible?
(a) By destroying the deck.
(b) By destroying the sails.
(c) By breaking the oarlocks.
(d) By breaking the oars.
7. What does Gilgamesh beg Enkidu to do?
(a) Forget his dream.
(b) Stay awake.
(c) Leave Uruk.
(d) Relate the dreams so that he can tell them to his mother.
8. What does Utnapishtim begin at the beginning of this chapter?
(a) The story of how he became friends with the gods.
(b) The story of how he met Gilgamesh's mother.
(c) The story of how he gained his immortality.
(d) The story of how he came to live by the Bitter River.
9. What does Urshanabi offer Gilgamesh?
(b) A new boat.
(c) Another option.
10. Where are Ishtar and her priestesses in Enkidu's dream?
(a) Surrounding him.
(b) Gathered on top of the mountain.
(c) In the river.
(d) Gathered on top of the city wall.
11. Of what does Chapter Nine mark the beginning?
(a) The third episode of the epic of Gilgamesh.
(b) The third episode of the epic of Enkidu.
(c) The second episode of the epic of Enkidu.
(d) The second episode of the epic of Gilgamesh.
12. Utnapishtim does as he has been told by Ea while the other citizens of Shuruppak do what?
(a) Build an ark.
(b) Taunt him.
(c) Prepare for the flood.
(d) Go about their daily business.
13. Gilgamesh must traverse the deep caverns beneath the Mountains of Mashu in order to reach whom?
14. What does Utnapishtim demand to know about the stranger?
(a) His identity and how he came to be there.
(b) Why he does not go home.
(c) If he is intelligent.
(d) If he is a King.
15. What does Gilgamesh smash?
(a) The oarlocks.
(b) The deck.
(c) The sails.
(d) The oars.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sabitu do after he thanks her?
2. Immediately following the slaying of the creature, what happens to Enkidu?
3. What does Sabitu explain that Gilgamesh will find?
4. Why does Gilgamesh lament to Utnapishtim?
5. What is Gilgamesh's explanation?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)