|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who reminded the author, in "Craig and Susan," to remember his mother's words about trusting the Lord?
2. In "Think Big," what does the author say talented young people should focus on, instead of music and sports?
3. What does the author say was the most harrowing moment of the surgery for Patrick and Benjamin, in "Separating the Twins"?
4. What happened to Craig Warnick on June 19, 1988, in "Craig and Susan"?
5. The author says he was hooked the first few times he looked down upon what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Maranda Francisco's improvements after her hemispherectomy.
2. Why did some doctors oppose a craniectomy for a patient named Charles in "Three Special Children"?
3. How did the chief of surgery at Provident Hospital try to lure the author to work for him?
4. How does the author explain the phenomenon of plasticity?
5. What is Von Hippel-Lindau (VHL)?
6. What was controversial about Denise Baca's hemispherectomy?
7. What were some of the possible outcomes of Maranda's hemispherectomy, in "A Girl Named Maranda"?
8. What does the letter T stand for in the author's "Think Big" acrostic?
9. Why did the author tell a resident at the hospital in Australia that he came from a large family?
10. What prompted the author to apply to Johns Hopkins for his internship and residency?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author change when he transfers to a predominately Black school in the eighth grade? How are his peers similar to his old classmates at Wilson Junior High? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
What does the author learn about himself at Yale? How does he change from the start of his freshman year at Yale to his graduation? How might the author's future have been different if he had failed a class and been dropped from the premed program?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author deal with failure? How does he deal with disappointment? How does he deal with stress? What can one learn from the author's approach to problems?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)