|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the CT scan show after Beth's surgery in "Little Beth"?
2. What marveled the author about Danielle's parents, in "Three Special Children," when she died?
3. Denise's surgery, in "Little Beth," confirmed for the author that when people know their _____ and they know their job, it doesn't matter who _____ them.
4. The author says he was hooked the first few times he looked down upon what?
5. In "The Rest of Their Story," what did the author say headlines read after the twins' surgery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What complications did Danielle experience after her surgery in "Three Special Children"?
2. How did Dr. Long handle a White patient who did not want a Black doctor on her case?
3. How did Theresa Binder, in "Separating the Twins," respond to the news that she was having Siamese twins?
4. What happened at Johns Hopkins in 1985 that allowed the author more time?
5. What was unusual about Craig being able to eat a whole plate of spaghetti, six weeks after his surgery?
6. What is Rasmussen's encephalitis?
7. What does the letter T stand for in the author's "Think Big" acrostic?
8. How does the author explain the phenomenon of plasticity?
9. What challenge did Patrick face after his surgery, in "The Rest of Their Story"?
10. What is Von Hippel-Lindau (VHL)?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What responsibility does the author feel to the Black community? What responsibility does he feel to all humans? Why does he pass up an opportunity that would allow him to help more Black patients?
Essay Topic 2
What conflict might the author face as he grows in popularity and can no longer meet each demand? How does he turn away patients? How might he reject speaking engagements he has been invited to?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the author feel that some rules can be broken? What rules does he break in his career? How does breaking rules make him more successful than if he he only followed guidelines set by others?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)