|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Beth Usher, in "Little Beth," receive a bump that later caused her first seizure?
2. What does the author say was a "golden opportunity," where there would be no outcries over Denise Baca's hemispherectomy?
3. In "Craig and Susan," what did Susan Warnick's experience with Dr. Miller help her conclude?
4. In "The Rest of Their Story," what did the author say headlines read after the twins' surgery?
5. How many applications for neurosurgery residency does the author say Johns Hopkins averaged?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Theresa Binder, in "Separating the Twins," respond to the news that she was having Siamese twins?
2. Why did Brian and Kathy Usher initially decide against the hemispherectomy for their daughter, Beth?
3. What prompted the author to apply to Johns Hopkins for his internship and residency?
4. What were some of the possible outcomes of Maranda's hemispherectomy, in "A Girl Named Maranda"?
5. How does the author explain the phenomenon of plasticity?
6. Why did the author tell a resident at the hospital in Australia that he came from a large family?
7. What challenge did Patrick face after his surgery, in "The Rest of Their Story"?
8. What is Von Hippel-Lindau (VHL)?
9. What is Rasmussen's encephalitis?
10. Why did some doctors oppose a craniectomy for a patient named Charles in "Three Special Children"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is it better to allow someone to die naturally or to proceed with a risky surgery that may or may not save them? Compare personal beliefs to the author's.
Essay Topic 2
What conflict might the author face as he grows in popularity and can no longer meet each demand? How does he turn away patients? How might he reject speaking engagements he has been invited to?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author change when he transfers to a predominately Black school in the eighth grade? How are his peers similar to his old classmates at Wilson Junior High? How are they different?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)