|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the CT scan show after Beth's surgery in "Little Beth"?
2. Who reminded the author, in "Craig and Susan," to remember his mother's words about trusting the Lord?
3. What happened to Craig Warnick on June 19, 1988, in "Craig and Susan"?
4. What does the author say he and his wife share as an unfulfilled dream, in "Think Big"?
5. In "A Special Year," why was the author concerned about his wife traveling to Australia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the author tell a resident at the hospital in Australia that he came from a large family?
2. Why did Brian and Kathy Usher initially decide against the hemispherectomy for their daughter, Beth?
3. What was controversial about Denise Baca's hemispherectomy?
4. What challenge did Patrick face after his surgery, in "The Rest of Their Story"?
5. What happened at Johns Hopkins in 1985 that allowed the author more time?
6. Describe Maranda Francisco's improvements after her hemispherectomy.
7. Why does the author say "no knowledge is ever wasted," in "Another Step Forward"?
8. What was unusual about Craig being able to eat a whole plate of spaghetti, six weeks after his surgery?
9. What prompted the author to apply to Johns Hopkins for his internship and residency?
10. What were some of the possible outcomes of Maranda's hemispherectomy, in "A Girl Named Maranda"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author treat people in other professions? What experiences influence how the author treats people outside the medical field? What has the author's mother taught him about people who work different jobs?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the author feel that some rules can be broken? What rules does he break in his career? How does breaking rules make him more successful than if he he only followed guidelines set by others?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author deal with failure? How does he deal with disappointment? How does he deal with stress? What can one learn from the author's approach to problems?
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)