|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What concept allowed Maranda to manage well without the left half of her brain?
2. What did the author and Dr. Udvarhelyi end up talking about extensively in the interview for Johns Hopkins?
3. How does the author say Bo-Bo Valentine received her injury?
4. What are members of the Ben Carson Club at Old Court Middle School in the Baltimore suburbs required to do?
5. How did Beth Usher, in "Little Beth," receive a bump that later caused her first seizure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Von Hippel-Lindau (VHL)?
2. Why did Brian and Kathy Usher initially decide against the hemispherectomy for their daughter, Beth?
3. Why did the author tell a resident at the hospital in Australia that he came from a large family?
4. What challenge did Patrick face after his surgery, in "The Rest of Their Story"?
5. What was unusual about Craig being able to eat a whole plate of spaghetti, six weeks after his surgery?
6. What prompted the author to apply to Johns Hopkins for his internship and residency?
7. What does the letter T stand for in the author's "Think Big" acrostic?
8. What was controversial about Denise Baca's hemispherectomy?
9. Describe Maranda Francisco's improvements after her hemispherectomy.
10. What complications did Danielle experience after her surgery in "Three Special Children"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the author able to build strong, supportive relationships in his life? How does he support others? Why are some of the people who are close to him unsupportive? How does the author react to unsupportive people?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author deal with failure? How does he deal with disappointment? How does he deal with stress? What can one learn from the author's approach to problems?
Essay Topic 3
Why might the author invest so much time in ROTC, when he has no intentions of entering the military? Describe his motivation for joining ROTC, his influences, and the skills he will be able to use in his medical career.
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)