|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when the Hopkins team tried to put Beth's diseased hemisphere to sleep?
2. As Susan recalled her story in "Craig and Susan," who did she tell God she was like from the Bible?
3. What is a pupilary response?
4. In " Three Special Children," what does the author say is heartbreaking to watch parents do?
5. What does the author say happened every time an instrument touched Maranda during her surgery?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did some doctors oppose a craniectomy for a patient named Charles in "Three Special Children"?
2. Why did Brian and Kathy Usher initially decide against the hemispherectomy for their daughter, Beth?
3. How did Dr. Long handle a White patient who did not want a Black doctor on her case?
4. What does the letter T stand for in the author's "Think Big" acrostic?
5. What is Von Hippel-Lindau (VHL)?
6. What happened at Johns Hopkins in 1985 that allowed the author more time?
7. Why does the author say "no knowledge is ever wasted," in "Another Step Forward"?
8. What complications did Danielle experience after her surgery in "Three Special Children"?
9. Why did the author tell a resident at the hospital in Australia that he came from a large family?
10. Describe Maranda Francisco's improvements after her hemispherectomy.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the author learn about himself at Yale? How does he change from the start of his freshman year at Yale to his graduation? How might the author's future have been different if he had failed a class and been dropped from the premed program?
Essay Topic 2
Is it better to allow someone to die naturally or to proceed with a risky surgery that may or may not save them? Compare personal beliefs to the author's.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author treat people in other professions? What experiences influence how the author treats people outside the medical field? What has the author's mother taught him about people who work different jobs?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)