|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In " Three Special Children," what does the author say is heartbreaking to watch parents do?
2. What happened when the author pulled Craig's tumorous growth in his brain stem, during his surgery?
3. What did the CT scan show after Beth's surgery in "Little Beth"?
4. In "Separating the Twins," where were the twins, Patrick and Benjamin, conjoined?
5. What does the author say interns called their white uniforms in "Coming Into My Own"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author explain the phenomenon of plasticity?
2. What complications did Danielle experience after her surgery in "Three Special Children"?
3. Why did some doctors oppose a craniectomy for a patient named Charles in "Three Special Children"?
4. What was unusual about Craig being able to eat a whole plate of spaghetti, six weeks after his surgery?
5. How did Theresa Binder, in "Separating the Twins," respond to the news that she was having Siamese twins?
6. How did the chief of surgery at Provident Hospital try to lure the author to work for him?
7. What is Von Hippel-Lindau (VHL)?
8. What were some of the possible outcomes of Maranda's hemispherectomy, in "A Girl Named Maranda"?
9. What is Rasmussen's encephalitis?
10. How did Dr. Long handle a White patient who did not want a Black doctor on her case?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is it better to allow someone to die naturally or to proceed with a risky surgery that may or may not save them? Compare personal beliefs to the author's.
Essay Topic 2
Why does the author initially object to working in Australia? What type of experience does he imagine, based on his fears? How is his experience there different from what he originally anticipated?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the author pursue a relationship during his college years, when he knows he must commit to years of education and training? What does Candy bring to the relationship that the author needs? What role does Candy play throughout the author's career?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)