|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author believe, even after losing Jennifer, about his relationship to patients?
2. What marveled the author about Danielle's parents, in "Three Special Children," when she died?
3. What does the author say interns called their white uniforms in "Coming Into My Own"?
4. What is a pupilary response?
5. The author says he was hooked the first few times he looked down upon what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened at Johns Hopkins in 1985 that allowed the author more time?
2. What is Von Hippel-Lindau (VHL)?
3. Who does the author say he feels a self-imposed obligation to act as a role model for?
4. How does the author explain the phenomenon of plasticity?
5. What complications did Danielle experience after her surgery in "Three Special Children"?
6. What prompted the author to apply to Johns Hopkins for his internship and residency?
7. Why did Brian and Kathy Usher initially decide against the hemispherectomy for their daughter, Beth?
8. What was unusual about Craig being able to eat a whole plate of spaghetti, six weeks after his surgery?
9. Describe Maranda Francisco's improvements after her hemispherectomy.
10. What were some of the possible outcomes of Maranda's hemispherectomy, in "A Girl Named Maranda"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why might the author invest so much time in ROTC, when he has no intentions of entering the military? Describe his motivation for joining ROTC, his influences, and the skills he will be able to use in his medical career.
Essay Topic 2
Why does the author strive to be the best, yet shy away from attention and praise? What is the author's motivation for excellence? What does the author personally gain from being a surgeon?
Essay Topic 3
What experiences lead the author to wanting to become a doctor? What challenges must he overcome to reach his goal? How is he able to maintain his determination throughout his early life and career?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)