|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Dr. Long propose, months after the author's return to Baltimore?
2. How much blood did Maranda lose during the hemispherectomy?
3. What does the author say happened every time an instrument touched Maranda during her surgery?
4. Why did the author tell Craig and Susan that he could NOT open the pons up during Craig's surgery?
5. Who does the author complain, in "Another Step Forward," wouldn't talk to the "common people" like ward clerks or aides?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Rasmussen's encephalitis?
2. How did Theresa Binder, in "Separating the Twins," respond to the news that she was having Siamese twins?
3. What were some of the possible outcomes of Maranda's hemispherectomy, in "A Girl Named Maranda"?
4. What happened at Johns Hopkins in 1985 that allowed the author more time?
5. How did the chief of surgery at Provident Hospital try to lure the author to work for him?
6. Describe Maranda Francisco's improvements after her hemispherectomy.
7. How does the author explain the phenomenon of plasticity?
8. What complications did Danielle experience after her surgery in "Three Special Children"?
9. What was controversial about Denise Baca's hemispherectomy?
10. Who does the author say he feels a self-imposed obligation to act as a role model for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reflect on the author's "Think Big" acrostic answer to success. Is it a realistic approach to success? Why or why not? How might schools, communities, or cultures be different if everyone followed each idea?
Essay Topic 2
What does the author learn about himself at Yale? How does he change from the start of his freshman year at Yale to his graduation? How might the author's future have been different if he had failed a class and been dropped from the premed program?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author change when he transfers to a predominately Black school in the eighth grade? How are his peers similar to his old classmates at Wilson Junior High? How are they different?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)