|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Rest of Their Story," what did the author say headlines read after the twins' surgery?
2. How long did the twins remain in a coma after their surgery in "The Rest of Their Story"?
3. What does the author say happened every time an instrument touched Maranda during her surgery?
4. What celebrity came to Johns Hopkins to visit Beth while she was comatose?
5. What did Maranda say, in "A Girl Named Maranda," that she wanted after her hemispherectomy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the author tell a resident at the hospital in Australia that he came from a large family?
2. What does the letter T stand for in the author's "Think Big" acrostic?
3. Describe Maranda Francisco's improvements after her hemispherectomy.
4. What is Von Hippel-Lindau (VHL)?
5. What happened at Johns Hopkins in 1985 that allowed the author more time?
6. How did Theresa Binder, in "Separating the Twins," respond to the news that she was having Siamese twins?
7. What prompted the author to apply to Johns Hopkins for his internship and residency?
8. What was controversial about Denise Baca's hemispherectomy?
9. What were some of the possible outcomes of Maranda's hemispherectomy, in "A Girl Named Maranda"?
10. How did the chief of surgery at Provident Hospital try to lure the author to work for him?
Essay Topic 1
Why does the author initially object to working in Australia? What type of experience does he imagine, based on his fears? How is his experience there different from what he originally anticipated?
Essay Topic 2
Why might the author invest so much time in ROTC, when he has no intentions of entering the military? Describe his motivation for joining ROTC, his influences, and the skills he will be able to use in his medical career.
Essay Topic 3
Is it better to allow someone to die naturally or to proceed with a risky surgery that may or may not save them? Compare personal beliefs to the author's.
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)