|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say was a "golden opportunity," where there would be no outcries over Denise Baca's hemispherectomy?
2. Why did the chief of surgery at Provident Hospital suggest the author did not want to stay at Johns Hopkins?
3. From what age did Maranda Francisco start having grand mal seizures?
4. How did Beth Usher, in "Little Beth," receive a bump that later caused her first seizure?
5. In "A Special Year," why was the author concerned about his wife traveling to Australia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the author tell a resident at the hospital in Australia that he came from a large family?
2. What were some of the possible outcomes of Maranda's hemispherectomy, in "A Girl Named Maranda"?
3. How did Theresa Binder, in "Separating the Twins," respond to the news that she was having Siamese twins?
4. What does the letter T stand for in the author's "Think Big" acrostic?
5. Describe Maranda Francisco's improvements after her hemispherectomy.
6. What complications did Danielle experience after her surgery in "Three Special Children"?
7. What challenge did Patrick face after his surgery, in "The Rest of Their Story"?
8. What is Rasmussen's encephalitis?
9. Who does the author say he feels a self-imposed obligation to act as a role model for?
10. How does the author explain the phenomenon of plasticity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What conflict might the author face as he grows in popularity and can no longer meet each demand? How does he turn away patients? How might he reject speaking engagements he has been invited to?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author treat people in other professions? What experiences influence how the author treats people outside the medical field? What has the author's mother taught him about people who work different jobs?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the author initially object to working in Australia? What type of experience does he imagine, based on his fears? How is his experience there different from what he originally anticipated?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)