|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say happened every time an instrument touched Maranda during her surgery?
2. What did the author believe would happen if he did not give an injured patient a lobectomy?
3. What does the author conclude in "Family Affairs" is a top priority?
4. The author says he was hooked the first few times he looked down upon what?
5. In "Coming Into My Own," whose voice did the author hear when he encountered prejudice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was controversial about Denise Baca's hemispherectomy?
2. Who does the author say he feels a self-imposed obligation to act as a role model for?
3. What is Von Hippel-Lindau (VHL)?
4. Why does the author say "no knowledge is ever wasted," in "Another Step Forward"?
5. What does the letter T stand for in the author's "Think Big" acrostic?
6. What challenge did Patrick face after his surgery, in "The Rest of Their Story"?
7. What was unusual about Craig being able to eat a whole plate of spaghetti, six weeks after his surgery?
8. What prompted the author to apply to Johns Hopkins for his internship and residency?
9. How does the author explain the phenomenon of plasticity?
10. How did Dr. Long handle a White patient who did not want a Black doctor on her case?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the author learn about himself at Yale? How does he change from the start of his freshman year at Yale to his graduation? How might the author's future have been different if he had failed a class and been dropped from the premed program?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the author feel that some rules can be broken? What rules does he break in his career? How does breaking rules make him more successful than if he he only followed guidelines set by others?
Essay Topic 3
What experiences lead the author to wanting to become a doctor? What challenges must he overcome to reach his goal? How is he able to maintain his determination throughout his early life and career?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)