|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What significant sign of recovery did Maranda show after her hemispherectomy?
2. What did the author and Dr. Udvarhelyi end up talking about extensively in the interview for Johns Hopkins?
3. Before the author left for his interview in Baltimore, he decided that he wanted to be himself and be accepted or rejected by _____ and not _____.
4. In "Family Affairs," why does the author believe his wife, Candy, is able to cope with his long hours?
5. What celebrity came to Johns Hopkins to visit Beth while she was comatose?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author say "no knowledge is ever wasted," in "Another Step Forward"?
2. How does the author explain the phenomenon of plasticity?
3. What was unusual about Craig being able to eat a whole plate of spaghetti, six weeks after his surgery?
4. How did Theresa Binder, in "Separating the Twins," respond to the news that she was having Siamese twins?
5. How did the chief of surgery at Provident Hospital try to lure the author to work for him?
6. Why did the author tell a resident at the hospital in Australia that he came from a large family?
7. What was controversial about Denise Baca's hemispherectomy?
8. What were some of the possible outcomes of Maranda's hemispherectomy, in "A Girl Named Maranda"?
9. What happened at Johns Hopkins in 1985 that allowed the author more time?
10. What does the letter T stand for in the author's "Think Big" acrostic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author deal with failure? How does he deal with disappointment? How does he deal with stress? What can one learn from the author's approach to problems?
Essay Topic 2
What does the author learn about himself at Yale? How does he change from the start of his freshman year at Yale to his graduation? How might the author's future have been different if he had failed a class and been dropped from the premed program?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the author believe he has "gifted hands"? How does he receive this gift? What does he do with the gift?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)