Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say was the most harrowing moment of the surgery for Patrick and Benjamin, in "Separating the Twins"?
2. Why did Teresa Binder consider overdosing on sleeping pills in "Separating the Twins"?
3. What concept allowed Maranda to manage well without the left half of her brain?
4. Denise's surgery, in "Little Beth," confirmed for the author that when people know their _____ and they know their job, it doesn't matter who _____ them.
5. What did the author and Dr. Udvarhelyi end up talking about extensively in the interview for Johns Hopkins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Von Hippel-Lindau (VHL)?
2. What is Rasmussen's encephalitis?
3. Why did some doctors oppose a craniectomy for a patient named Charles in "Three Special Children"?
4. What does the letter T stand for in the author's "Think Big" acrostic?
5. What complications did Danielle experience after her surgery in "Three Special Children"?
6. How did Theresa Binder, in "Separating the Twins," respond to the news that she was having Siamese twins?
7. How does the author explain the phenomenon of plasticity?
8. How did Dr. Long handle a White patient who did not want a Black doctor on her case?
9. Why did Brian and Kathy Usher initially decide against the hemispherectomy for their daughter, Beth?
10. Why does the author say "no knowledge is ever wasted," in "Another Step Forward"?
Essay Topic 1
How does the author change when he transfers to a predominately Black school in the eighth grade? How are his peers similar to his old classmates at Wilson Junior High? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the author strive to be the best, yet shy away from attention and praise? What is the author's motivation for excellence? What does the author personally gain from being a surgeon?
Essay Topic 3
What conflict might the author face as he grows in popularity and can no longer meet each demand? How does he turn away patients? How might he reject speaking engagements he has been invited to?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)