|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What celebrity came to Johns Hopkins to visit Beth while she was comatose?
2. From what age did Maranda Francisco start having grand mal seizures?
3. During the author's intense year as chief resident, he learned the special skills that transform the _____ along with his hands, eyes and intuition into _____.
4. What is a pupilary response?
5. During what years was the author a resident at Johns Hopkins?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did some doctors oppose a craniectomy for a patient named Charles in "Three Special Children"?
2. What challenge did Patrick face after his surgery, in "The Rest of Their Story"?
3. Why did Brian and Kathy Usher initially decide against the hemispherectomy for their daughter, Beth?
4. Who does the author say he feels a self-imposed obligation to act as a role model for?
5. What were some of the possible outcomes of Maranda's hemispherectomy, in "A Girl Named Maranda"?
6. What is Von Hippel-Lindau (VHL)?
7. How did Theresa Binder, in "Separating the Twins," respond to the news that she was having Siamese twins?
8. What was unusual about Craig being able to eat a whole plate of spaghetti, six weeks after his surgery?
9. Why did the author tell a resident at the hospital in Australia that he came from a large family?
10. How did the chief of surgery at Provident Hospital try to lure the author to work for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the author's greatest accomplishment? How does this accomplishment make a difference? What might be different if the author did not achieve this?
Essay Topic 2
What conflict might the author face as he grows in popularity and can no longer meet each demand? How does he turn away patients? How might he reject speaking engagements he has been invited to?
Essay Topic 3
How does growing up without a father impact the author? What father figures does he rely on throughout his life? How does his experience without a father impact his ability to be a good parent?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)