|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Denise's surgery, in "Little Beth," confirmed for the author that when people know their _____ and they know their job, it doesn't matter who _____ them.
2. What did the author believe would happen if he did not give an injured patient a lobectomy?
3. What did Maranda say, in "A Girl Named Maranda," that she wanted after her hemispherectomy?
4. Who reminded the author, in "Craig and Susan," to remember his mother's words about trusting the Lord?
5. What does the author say was a "golden opportunity," where there would be no outcries over Denise Baca's hemispherectomy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author say "no knowledge is ever wasted," in "Another Step Forward"?
2. What happened at Johns Hopkins in 1985 that allowed the author more time?
3. What was unusual about Craig being able to eat a whole plate of spaghetti, six weeks after his surgery?
4. What is Von Hippel-Lindau (VHL)?
5. What does the letter T stand for in the author's "Think Big" acrostic?
6. How did Theresa Binder, in "Separating the Twins," respond to the news that she was having Siamese twins?
7. How does the author explain the phenomenon of plasticity?
8. What prompted the author to apply to Johns Hopkins for his internship and residency?
9. Why did some doctors oppose a craniectomy for a patient named Charles in "Three Special Children"?
10. What challenge did Patrick face after his surgery, in "The Rest of Their Story"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the author successful because of his hard work or his faith? Compare the author's beliefs about his success to a personal analysis.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author treat people in other professions? What experiences influence how the author treats people outside the medical field? What has the author's mother taught him about people who work different jobs?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author deal with failure? How does he deal with disappointment? How does he deal with stress? What can one learn from the author's approach to problems?
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)