|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does the author give for not wanting to travel to Australia, in "A Special Year"?
2. What concept allowed Maranda to manage well without the left half of her brain?
3. What does the author say a "four plus" did at the hospital?
4. What unusual solution did one doctor suggest Maranda try twice a day for her seizures?
5. What did Dr. Long propose, months after the author's return to Baltimore?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Rasmussen's encephalitis?
2. Why does the author say "no knowledge is ever wasted," in "Another Step Forward"?
3. Describe Maranda Francisco's improvements after her hemispherectomy.
4. How did Dr. Long handle a White patient who did not want a Black doctor on her case?
5. How did the chief of surgery at Provident Hospital try to lure the author to work for him?
6. What does the letter T stand for in the author's "Think Big" acrostic?
7. How does the author explain the phenomenon of plasticity?
8. What happened at Johns Hopkins in 1985 that allowed the author more time?
9. Who does the author say he feels a self-imposed obligation to act as a role model for?
10. What was controversial about Denise Baca's hemispherectomy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the author pursue a relationship during his college years, when he knows he must commit to years of education and training? What does Candy bring to the relationship that the author needs? What role does Candy play throughout the author's career?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the author believe he has "gifted hands"? How does he receive this gift? What does he do with the gift?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author deal with failure? How does he deal with disappointment? How does he deal with stress? What can one learn from the author's approach to problems?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)