|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news did Maranda's parents receive about her diagnosis at UCLA Medical Center?
2. What significant sign of recovery did Maranda show after her hemispherectomy?
3. In "A Special Year," why was the author concerned about his wife traveling to Australia?
4. How did patient Danielle's mother first learn about the author, in "Three Special Children"?
5. How long did the author expect Maranda's surgery to be, in "A Girl Named Maranda"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Dr. Long handle a White patient who did not want a Black doctor on her case?
2. How did the chief of surgery at Provident Hospital try to lure the author to work for him?
3. How does the author explain the phenomenon of plasticity?
4. What prompted the author to apply to Johns Hopkins for his internship and residency?
5. What complications did Danielle experience after her surgery in "Three Special Children"?
6. What happened at Johns Hopkins in 1985 that allowed the author more time?
7. What is Von Hippel-Lindau (VHL)?
8. What challenge did Patrick face after his surgery, in "The Rest of Their Story"?
9. What is Rasmussen's encephalitis?
10. Why did some doctors oppose a craniectomy for a patient named Charles in "Three Special Children"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reflect on the author's "Think Big" acrostic answer to success. Is it a realistic approach to success? Why or why not? How might schools, communities, or cultures be different if everyone followed each idea?
Essay Topic 2
What conflict might the author face as he grows in popularity and can no longer meet each demand? How does he turn away patients? How might he reject speaking engagements he has been invited to?
Essay Topic 3
What is the author's greatest accomplishment? How does this accomplishment make a difference? What might be different if the author did not achieve this?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)