|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say was the most harrowing moment of the surgery for Patrick and Benjamin, in "Separating the Twins"?
2. Why did Teresa Binder consider overdosing on sleeping pills in "Separating the Twins"?
3. What concept allowed Maranda to manage well without the left half of her brain?
4. Denise's surgery, in "Little Beth," confirmed for the author that when people know their _____ and they know their job, it doesn't matter who _____ them.
5. What did the author and Dr. Udvarhelyi end up talking about extensively in the interview for Johns Hopkins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Von Hippel-Lindau (VHL)?
2. What is Rasmussen's encephalitis?
3. Why did some doctors oppose a craniectomy for a patient named Charles in "Three Special Children"?
4. What does the letter T stand for in the author's "Think Big" acrostic?
5. What complications did Danielle experience after her surgery in "Three Special Children"?
6. How did Theresa Binder, in "Separating the Twins," respond to the news that she was having Siamese twins?
7. How does the author explain the phenomenon of plasticity?
8. How did Dr. Long handle a White patient who did not want a Black doctor on her case?
9. Why did Brian and Kathy Usher initially decide against the hemispherectomy for their daughter, Beth?
10. Why does the author say "no knowledge is ever wasted," in "Another Step Forward"?
Essay Topic 1
What does the author learn about himself at Yale? How does he change from the start of his freshman year at Yale to his graduation? How might the author's future have been different if he had failed a class and been dropped from the premed program?
Essay Topic 2
Is the author successful because of his hard work or his faith? Compare the author's beliefs about his success to a personal analysis.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author treat people in other professions? What experiences influence how the author treats people outside the medical field? What has the author's mother taught him about people who work different jobs?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)