|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the chief of surgery at Provident Hospital suggest the author did not want to stay at Johns Hopkins?
2. What unusual solution did one doctor suggest Maranda try twice a day for her seizures?
3. What did the author and Dr. Udvarhelyi end up talking about extensively in the interview for Johns Hopkins?
4. How long did the twins remain in a coma after their surgery in "The Rest of Their Story"?
5. What concept allowed Maranda to manage well without the left half of her brain?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Theresa Binder, in "Separating the Twins," respond to the news that she was having Siamese twins?
2. What is Rasmussen's encephalitis?
3. What challenge did Patrick face after his surgery, in "The Rest of Their Story"?
4. What complications did Danielle experience after her surgery in "Three Special Children"?
5. What was unusual about Craig being able to eat a whole plate of spaghetti, six weeks after his surgery?
6. What happened at Johns Hopkins in 1985 that allowed the author more time?
7. Why does the author say "no knowledge is ever wasted," in "Another Step Forward"?
8. Who does the author say he feels a self-imposed obligation to act as a role model for?
9. How did the chief of surgery at Provident Hospital try to lure the author to work for him?
10. What were some of the possible outcomes of Maranda's hemispherectomy, in "A Girl Named Maranda"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the author able to build strong, supportive relationships in his life? How does he support others? Why are some of the people who are close to him unsupportive? How does the author react to unsupportive people?
Essay Topic 2
What conflict might the author face as he grows in popularity and can no longer meet each demand? How does he turn away patients? How might he reject speaking engagements he has been invited to?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author treat people in other professions? What experiences influence how the author treats people outside the medical field? What has the author's mother taught him about people who work different jobs?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)