|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Denise's surgery, in "Little Beth," confirmed for the author that when people know their _____ and they know their job, it doesn't matter who _____ them.
2. How long did Maranda's hemispherectomy take in "Heartbreak"?
3. What affiliation did the author and his wife have that opened doors for them in Australia?
4. What unusual solution did one doctor suggest Maranda try twice a day for her seizures?
5. How does the author say Bo-Bo Valentine received her injury?
Short Essay Questions
1. What challenge did Patrick face after his surgery, in "The Rest of Their Story"?
2. What complications did Danielle experience after her surgery in "Three Special Children"?
3. What prompted the author to apply to Johns Hopkins for his internship and residency?
4. What happened at Johns Hopkins in 1985 that allowed the author more time?
5. How did Theresa Binder, in "Separating the Twins," respond to the news that she was having Siamese twins?
6. Why did Brian and Kathy Usher initially decide against the hemispherectomy for their daughter, Beth?
7. What was unusual about Craig being able to eat a whole plate of spaghetti, six weeks after his surgery?
8. What does the letter T stand for in the author's "Think Big" acrostic?
9. How does the author explain the phenomenon of plasticity?
10. Describe Maranda Francisco's improvements after her hemispherectomy.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the author successful because of his hard work or his faith? Compare the author's beliefs about his success to a personal analysis.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author change when he transfers to a predominately Black school in the eighth grade? How are his peers similar to his old classmates at Wilson Junior High? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Is it better to allow someone to die naturally or to proceed with a risky surgery that may or may not save them? Compare personal beliefs to the author's.
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)