|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Think Big," what does the author say talented young people should focus on, instead of music and sports?
2. What did Maranda say, in "A Girl Named Maranda," that she wanted after her hemispherectomy?
3. How did Beth Usher, in "Little Beth," receive a bump that later caused her first seizure?
4. In "The Rest of Their Story," the author says the twins were given phenobarbitol in order to do what?
5. From what age did Maranda Francisco start having grand mal seizures?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author say "no knowledge is ever wasted," in "Another Step Forward"?
2. What was controversial about Denise Baca's hemispherectomy?
3. How did Dr. Long handle a White patient who did not want a Black doctor on her case?
4. Why did some doctors oppose a craniectomy for a patient named Charles in "Three Special Children"?
5. What were some of the possible outcomes of Maranda's hemispherectomy, in "A Girl Named Maranda"?
6. What is Rasmussen's encephalitis?
7. Who does the author say he feels a self-imposed obligation to act as a role model for?
8. What is Von Hippel-Lindau (VHL)?
9. What complications did Danielle experience after her surgery in "Three Special Children"?
10. How does the author explain the phenomenon of plasticity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the author's greatest accomplishment? How does this accomplishment make a difference? What might be different if the author did not achieve this?
Essay Topic 2
Reflect on the author's "Think Big" acrostic answer to success. Is it a realistic approach to success? Why or why not? How might schools, communities, or cultures be different if everyone followed each idea?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the author feel that some rules can be broken? What rules does he break in his career? How does breaking rules make him more successful than if he he only followed guidelines set by others?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)