|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say he liked to do with his father's hands?
2. In "Changing the Rules," the author says that _____ could get him in the door but _____ and quality of work were the real tests.
3. When does the author say he worked at Wayne State University in one of the biology laboratories?
4. What type of curriculum did the school counselor enroll Curtis in, in Carrying the Load?
5. How did Alma Whittley help the author?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author make his college choice in "College Choices"?
2. What happened in "A Terrible Temper," when the author's mother brought him a new pair of pants?
3. What did the author's mother teach her sons that she learned at work?
4. Why did the author initially fall behind in his college studies?
5. What are the reasons the author gives in "A Serious Step" for not being ready for love?
6. How did the author put an end to the capping, in "A Boy's Big Problem"?
7. How does the author describe his mother in "Carrying the Load"?
8. What experience at college helped the author wash away some of his cockiness?
9. What was the author's father like intellectually?
10. Describe the plan the author's mother devised to help him improve his grades.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why might the author invest so much time in ROTC, when he has no intentions of entering the military? Describe his motivation for joining ROTC, his influences, and the skills he will be able to use in his medical career.
Essay Topic 2
What is the author's greatest accomplishment? How does this accomplishment make a difference? What might be different if the author did not achieve this?
Essay Topic 3
What does the author know about his mother's mental condition while he is growing up? How does the author feel about his mother, once he learns of her psychological struggles? How might the author's perception of his mother change, as he learns more about the brain?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)