|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the author when he was baptized for the second time?
2. What type of curriculum did the school counselor enroll Curtis in, in Carrying the Load?
3. What score did the author receive on a math quiz that humiliated him?
4. How often did the author wear an ROTC uniform at school?
5. Why did the author and his brother give up football in "Two Positives"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the author's relationship with his father, prior to his leaving the family.
2. Describe the plan the author's mother devised to help him improve his grades.
3. What was the author's father like intellectually?
4. How does the author describe his mother's way with finances?
5. Why did a photographer from the Yale Daily News take a picture of the author in "Changing the Rules"?
6. How did the author get the crew he supervises to be more productive, in "Changing the Rules"?
7. Describe how the author has managed his temper in the years since he tried to kill his friend, Bob.
8. What factors led to the author being a poor student at Higgins Elementary School?
9. What was the final event that led the author to break down and find determination to resolve his temper?
10. What experience at college helped the author wash away some of his cockiness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reflect on the author's "Think Big" acrostic answer to success. Is it a realistic approach to success? Why or why not? How might schools, communities, or cultures be different if everyone followed each idea?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the author pursue a relationship during his college years, when he knows he must commit to years of education and training? What does Candy bring to the relationship that the author needs? What role does Candy play throughout the author's career?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the author initially object to working in Australia? What type of experience does he imagine, based on his fears? How is his experience there different from what he originally anticipated?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)