|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did students walk out on the psychology test in "Changing the Rules"?
2. Who introduced the author to Schubert's Eighth Symphony (Unfinished)?
3. What consequence did the author face if he failed a college class?
4. Who told the author he should "dress the way you want to be"?
5. What other role did the author's father serve in, that he recalls observing only once?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Two Positives," why did the author say he stopped hopping trains?
2. Describe the plan the author's mother devised to help him improve his grades.
3. What lessons does the author learn from working at Ford Motor Company?
4. How does the author learn about the arts in "ROTC Triumph"?
5. How did the author put an end to the capping, in "A Boy's Big Problem"?
6. How does the author take on the challenge of being student-sergeant for a rambunctious unit?
7. Why didn't the author get the job he was promised in the summer of 1971?
8. What was the final event that led the author to break down and find determination to resolve his temper?
9. How did the author's mother respond to his announcement that he wanted to become a doctor?
10. What is the reason people say the author has "gifted hands"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why might the author invest so much time in ROTC, when he has no intentions of entering the military? Describe his motivation for joining ROTC, his influences, and the skills he will be able to use in his medical career.
Essay Topic 2
Why does the author believe he has "gifted hands"? How does he receive this gift? What does he do with the gift?
Essay Topic 3
What does the author learn about himself at Yale? How does he change from the start of his freshman year at Yale to his graduation? How might the author's future have been different if he had failed a class and been dropped from the premed program?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)