|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the author's mother determined to accomplish in Detroit?
2. What did the author's mother consistently ask him about, no matter how tired she was?
3. Where did the author turn when he believed he could not pass an exam?
4. What does the author's mother call him in "Goodbye Daddy"?
5. What does the author say he has in his heart, regardless of the conditions around him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What factors led to the author being a poor student at Higgins Elementary School?
2. Why was the author impressed in the ROTC by a student named Sharper?
3. Describe capping.
4. How does the author explain, in "College Choices" the miracle he experiences on a class exam?
5. What role did the English teacher, Mrs. Miller, play in the author's life, in "ROTC Triumph"?
6. How did the author respond to the news that his father was leaving the family?
7. How was the author's family life after his father left?
8. How did being poor impact the author in "A Boy's Big Problem"?
9. What did the author's mother teach her sons that she learned at work?
10. Why did the author believe he was going to die in "A Serious Step"?
Essay Topic 1
Is it better to allow someone to die naturally or to proceed with a risky surgery that may or may not save them? Compare personal beliefs to the author's.
Essay Topic 2
Why does the author strive to be the best, yet shy away from attention and praise? What is the author's motivation for excellence? What does the author personally gain from being a surgeon?
Essay Topic 3
What responsibility does the author feel to the Black community? What responsibility does he feel to all humans? Why does he pass up an opportunity that would allow him to help more Black patients?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)