|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened halfway through the author's fifth grade year?
2. Where does the author describe his father working, until his retirement in the 1970s?
3. How much education does the author say his mother had when she married?
4. What college did the author decide to attend?
5. Which of Candy's three college majors does the author say she eventually dropped?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't the author get the job he was promised in the summer of 1971?
2. How does the author take on the challenge of being student-sergeant for a rambunctious unit?
3. How did the author's mother mask her mental problems?
4. What did the author's mother teach her sons that she learned at work?
5. Describe the plan the author's mother devised to help him improve his grades.
6. Why did a photographer from the Yale Daily News take a picture of the author in "Changing the Rules"?
7. How does the author learn about the arts in "ROTC Triumph"?
8. How did the author's mother protect him and his brother?
9. Describe how the author has managed his temper in the years since he tried to kill his friend, Bob.
10. What factors led to the author being a poor student at Higgins Elementary School?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the author able to build strong, supportive relationships in his life? How does he support others? Why are some of the people who are close to him unsupportive? How does the author react to unsupportive people?
Essay Topic 2
What responsibility does the author feel to the Black community? What responsibility does he feel to all humans? Why does he pass up an opportunity that would allow him to help more Black patients?
Essay Topic 3
What experiences lead the author to wanting to become a doctor? What challenges must he overcome to reach his goal? How is he able to maintain his determination throughout his early life and career?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)