|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What damage did the author do with a rock in "A Terrible Temper"?
2. What object of the author's did a ninth grader in "A Boy's Big Problem" say had been through four world wars?
3. What did the author begin to do, in tenth grade, instead of coming home after school?
4. What did Candy's family think was strange about her new church in "A Serious Step"?
5. In "College Choices," why did the author only apply to one college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What factors led to the author being a poor student at Higgins Elementary School?
2. What experience at college helped the author wash away some of his cockiness?
3. What was the author's father like intellectually?
4. Describe the plan the author's mother devised to help him improve his grades.
5. In "A Terrible Temper," what led the author to hit Jerry over the head with a lock?
6. How does the author learn about the arts in "ROTC Triumph"?
7. Describe the author's relationship with his father, prior to his leaving the family.
8. In "Two Positives," why did the author say he stopped hopping trains?
9. What study strategy did the author develop in his second year of medical school to help him learn the material?
10. How does the author describe his mother in "Carrying the Load"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What conflict might the author face as he grows in popularity and can no longer meet each demand? How does he turn away patients? How might he reject speaking engagements he has been invited to?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author change when he transfers to a predominately Black school in the eighth grade? How are his peers similar to his old classmates at Wilson Junior High? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Reflect on the author's "Think Big" acrostic answer to success. Is it a realistic approach to success? Why or why not? How might schools, communities, or cultures be different if everyone followed each idea?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)