|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of curriculum did the school counselor enroll Curtis in, in Carrying the Load?
2. At the start of "Goodbye, Daddy," who told the author that his father was moving out of the family home?
3. Why did the author quit his job at Young and Rubicum Advertising?
4. What does the author's mother call him in "Goodbye Daddy"?
5. What did Candy's family think was strange about her new church in "A Serious Step"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the author's father like intellectually?
2. What study strategy did the author develop in his second year of medical school to help him learn the material?
3. How was the author's new neighborhood in "Eight Years Old" different from his old one?
4. What was the final event that led the author to break down and find determination to resolve his temper?
5. How does the author explain, in "College Choices" the miracle he experiences on a class exam?
6. Describe the author's relationship with his father, prior to his leaving the family.
7. What significance did Mary Thomas have in the author's life?
8. Describe how the author has managed his temper in the years since he tried to kill his friend, Bob.
9. Describe capping.
10. What did the author's mother teach her sons that she learned at work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author deal with failure? How does he deal with disappointment? How does he deal with stress? What can one learn from the author's approach to problems?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the author pursue a relationship during his college years, when he knows he must commit to years of education and training? What does Candy bring to the relationship that the author needs? What role does Candy play throughout the author's career?
Essay Topic 3
Why might the author invest so much time in ROTC, when he has no intentions of entering the military? Describe his motivation for joining ROTC, his influences, and the skills he will be able to use in his medical career.
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)