|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What holiday does the author recall made being 8-years-old the best year of his childhood?
2. Why did the author become interested in Johns Hopkins University Hospital at the age of 10?
3. What does the author say was an embarrassing and painful experience at Hunter Junior High?
4. Why was the author surprised when he read the exam problems in the booklet, in "College Choices"?
5. How did Bobby Farmer impress the author during a history class?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the author impressed in the ROTC by a student named Sharper?
2. Why did a photographer from the Yale Daily News take a picture of the author in "Changing the Rules"?
3. How did the author get the crew he supervises to be more productive, in "Changing the Rules"?
4. How does the author take on the challenge of being student-sergeant for a rambunctious unit?
5. What factors led to the author being a poor student at Higgins Elementary School?
6. How did the author respond to the news that his father was leaving the family?
7. What significance did Mary Thomas have in the author's life?
8. Describe the plan the author's mother devised to help him improve his grades.
9. How was the author's family life after his father left?
10. How does the author describe his mother's way with finances?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why might the author invest so much time in ROTC, when he has no intentions of entering the military? Describe his motivation for joining ROTC, his influences, and the skills he will be able to use in his medical career.
Essay Topic 2
Is the author successful because of his hard work or his faith? Compare the author's beliefs about his success to a personal analysis.
Essay Topic 3
Why does the author initially object to working in Australia? What type of experience does he imagine, based on his fears? How is his experience there different from what he originally anticipated?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)