|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What score did the author receive on a math quiz that humiliated him?
2. What damage did the author do with a rock in "A Terrible Temper"?
3. In "A Boy's Big Problem," why does the author say he hated to buy bread or milk at the store?
4. Who did the author initially turn to for work, when he could not find a job in the summer of 1971?
5. What person does the author say came, when his mother "needed someone to care"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lessons does the author learn from working at Ford Motor Company?
2. Describe the author's relationship with his father, prior to his leaving the family.
3. Describe the plan the author's mother devised to help him improve his grades.
4. What role did the English teacher, Mrs. Miller, play in the author's life, in "ROTC Triumph"?
5. What was the author's father like intellectually?
6. How did Mr. Jaeck nurture the author's gift for science?
7. What significance did Mary Thomas have in the author's life?
8. How does the author describe his mother's way with finances?
9. How does the author describe his mother in "Carrying the Load"?
10. How does the author learn about the arts in "ROTC Triumph"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the author strive to be the best, yet shy away from attention and praise? What is the author's motivation for excellence? What does the author personally gain from being a surgeon?
Essay Topic 2
What responsibility does the author feel to the Black community? What responsibility does he feel to all humans? Why does he pass up an opportunity that would allow him to help more Black patients?
Essay Topic 3
What is the author's greatest accomplishment? How does this accomplishment make a difference? What might be different if the author did not achieve this?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)