|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say he would do before he let his classmates know they hurt him?
2. How does the author say Curtis' grades changed in the last year?
3. What did the author's mother consistently ask him about, no matter how tired she was?
4. Why was the author surprised when he read the exam problems in the booklet, in "College Choices"?
5. In "A Serious Step," who helped the author get a summer job at Sennet Steel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the author's mother mask her mental problems?
2. What is the reason people say the author has "gifted hands"?
3. What happened in "A Terrible Temper," when the author's mother brought him a new pair of pants?
4. What lessons does the author learn from working at Ford Motor Company?
5. In "Two Positives," why did the author say he stopped hopping trains?
6. How did the author respond to the news that his father was leaving the family?
7. How does the author describe his mother's way with finances?
8. What role did the English teacher, Mrs. Miller, play in the author's life, in "ROTC Triumph"?
9. How did being poor impact the author in "A Boy's Big Problem"?
10. Describe capping.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the author pursue a relationship during his college years, when he knows he must commit to years of education and training? What does Candy bring to the relationship that the author needs? What role does Candy play throughout the author's career?
Essay Topic 2
What conflict might the author face as he grows in popularity and can no longer meet each demand? How does he turn away patients? How might he reject speaking engagements he has been invited to?
Essay Topic 3
Reflect on the author's "Think Big" acrostic answer to success. Is it a realistic approach to success? Why or why not? How might schools, communities, or cultures be different if everyone followed each idea?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)