Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say about regulations in "Changing the Rules"?
2. When does the author say he worked at Wayne State University in one of the biology laboratories?
3. What did the author begin to do, in tenth grade, instead of coming home after school?
4. Why did the author become interested in Johns Hopkins University Hospital at the age of 10?
5. What does the author say is the truth he learned much later about his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What factors led to the author being a poor student at Higgins Elementary School?
2. What significance did Mary Thomas have in the author's life?
3. How does the author describe his mother's way with finances?
4. Describe how the author has managed his temper in the years since he tried to kill his friend, Bob.
5. In "A Terrible Temper," what led the author to hit Jerry over the head with a lock?
6. How did the author's mother respond to his announcement that he wanted to become a doctor?
7. How does the author learn about the arts in "ROTC Triumph"?
8. How does the author explain, in "College Choices" the miracle he experiences on a class exam?
9. Why was the author impressed in the ROTC by a student named Sharper?
10. Why didn't the author get the job he was promised in the summer of 1971?
Essay Topic 1
What does the author learn about himself at Yale? How does he change from the start of his freshman year at Yale to his graduation? How might the author's future have been different if he had failed a class and been dropped from the premed program?
Essay Topic 2
What responsibility does the author feel to the Black community? What responsibility does he feel to all humans? Why does he pass up an opportunity that would allow him to help more Black patients?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author change when he transfers to a predominately Black school in the eighth grade? How are his peers similar to his old classmates at Wilson Junior High? How are they different?
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)