|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say his mother brought a sense of to the family?
2. What did the Yale admissions office pay for the author and Candy to do before Thanksgiving 1972?
3. In "A Boy's Big Problem," why does the author say he hated to buy bread or milk at the store?
4. The author told his mother that _____ are supposed to _____.
5. In "College Choices," why did the author only apply to one college?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author learn about the arts in "ROTC Triumph"?
2. How did the author's mother mask her mental problems?
3. Describe capping.
4. What experience at college helped the author wash away some of his cockiness?
5. How did Mr. Jaeck nurture the author's gift for science?
6. What lessons does the author learn from working at Ford Motor Company?
7. How does the author make his college choice in "College Choices"?
8. How was the author's family life after his father left?
9. What study strategy did the author develop in his second year of medical school to help him learn the material?
10. Why didn't the author get the job he was promised in the summer of 1971?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What conflict might the author face as he grows in popularity and can no longer meet each demand? How does he turn away patients? How might he reject speaking engagements he has been invited to?
Essay Topic 2
What is the author's greatest accomplishment? How does this accomplishment make a difference? What might be different if the author did not achieve this?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the author initially object to working in Australia? What type of experience does he imagine, based on his fears? How is his experience there different from what he originally anticipated?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)