|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did students walk out on the psychology test in "Changing the Rules"?
2. Where did the author and his brother stay when his mother went away in Carrying the Load?
3. In "College Choices," what was the class that the author fell behind in the most?
4. In "Changing the Rules," the author says that _____ could get him in the door but _____ and quality of work were the real tests.
5. What year does the author say he no longer waited for his father to come home from work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author make his college choice in "College Choices"?
2. What was the author's father like intellectually?
3. How did the author put an end to the capping, in "A Boy's Big Problem"?
4. What lessons does the author learn from working at Ford Motor Company?
5. What study strategy did the author develop in his second year of medical school to help him learn the material?
6. What was the final event that led the author to break down and find determination to resolve his temper?
7. Why did the author believe he was going to die in "A Serious Step"?
8. In "A Terrible Temper," what led the author to hit Jerry over the head with a lock?
9. How did the author's mother mask her mental problems?
10. What is the reason people say the author has "gifted hands"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author treat people in other professions? What experiences influence how the author treats people outside the medical field? What has the author's mother taught him about people who work different jobs?
Essay Topic 2
What experiences lead the author to wanting to become a doctor? What challenges must he overcome to reach his goal? How is he able to maintain his determination throughout his early life and career?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the author pursue a relationship during his college years, when he knows he must commit to years of education and training? What does Candy bring to the relationship that the author needs? What role does Candy play throughout the author's career?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)