|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the author discover when he began to read Proverbs?
2. What did Aubrey Tompkins suggest when Candy's audition at the church did not work out?
3. What score did the author receive on a math quiz that humiliated him?
4. What does the author say in "Two Positives" was the worst part of school?
5. In "A Terrible Temper," the author says once he reached the _____, he lost all _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the author's mother protect him and his brother?
2. How was the author's family life after his father left?
3. What factors led to the author being a poor student at Higgins Elementary School?
4. Describe how the author has managed his temper in the years since he tried to kill his friend, Bob.
5. What was the author's father like intellectually?
6. What did the author's mother teach her sons that she learned at work?
7. How does the author make his college choice in "College Choices"?
8. Why was the author impressed in the ROTC by a student named Sharper?
9. In "A Terrible Temper," what led the author to hit Jerry over the head with a lock?
10. Describe the plan the author's mother devised to help him improve his grades.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the author pursue a relationship during his college years, when he knows he must commit to years of education and training? What does Candy bring to the relationship that the author needs? What role does Candy play throughout the author's career?
Essay Topic 2
How is the author able to build strong, supportive relationships in his life? How does he support others? Why are some of the people who are close to him unsupportive? How does the author react to unsupportive people?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author treat people in other professions? What experiences influence how the author treats people outside the medical field? What has the author's mother taught him about people who work different jobs?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)