|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the author say he felt the stigma of being poor more acutely?
2. Who introduced the author to Schubert's Eighth Symphony (Unfinished)?
3. At times, the author says, his mother's refusal to settle for less came across as _____, _____, even _____ to him.
4. What job did the author recommend Candy try out for at his church in "A Serious Step"?
5. In "A Terrible Temper," the author realized that if people could make him _____, they could ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Two Positives," why did the author say he stopped hopping trains?
2. What is the reason people say the author has "gifted hands"?
3. What study strategy did the author develop in his second year of medical school to help him learn the material?
4. What role did the English teacher, Mrs. Miller, play in the author's life, in "ROTC Triumph"?
5. How does the author make his college choice in "College Choices"?
6. Why did the author initially fall behind in his college studies?
7. How did the author's mother respond to his announcement that he wanted to become a doctor?
8. Describe the author's relationship with his father, prior to his leaving the family.
9. What significance did Mary Thomas have in the author's life?
10. Describe how the author has managed his temper in the years since he tried to kill his friend, Bob.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does growing up without a father impact the author? What father figures does he rely on throughout his life? How does his experience without a father impact his ability to be a good parent?
Essay Topic 2
Reflect on the author's "Think Big" acrostic answer to success. Is it a realistic approach to success? Why or why not? How might schools, communities, or cultures be different if everyone followed each idea?
Essay Topic 3
What is the author's greatest accomplishment? How does this accomplishment make a difference? What might be different if the author did not achieve this?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)