|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say about regulations in "Changing the Rules"?
2. When does the author say he worked at Wayne State University in one of the biology laboratories?
3. What did the author begin to do, in tenth grade, instead of coming home after school?
4. Why did the author become interested in Johns Hopkins University Hospital at the age of 10?
5. What does the author say is the truth he learned much later about his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What factors led to the author being a poor student at Higgins Elementary School?
2. What significance did Mary Thomas have in the author's life?
3. How does the author describe his mother's way with finances?
4. Describe how the author has managed his temper in the years since he tried to kill his friend, Bob.
5. In "A Terrible Temper," what led the author to hit Jerry over the head with a lock?
6. How did the author's mother respond to his announcement that he wanted to become a doctor?
7. How does the author learn about the arts in "ROTC Triumph"?
8. How does the author explain, in "College Choices" the miracle he experiences on a class exam?
9. Why was the author impressed in the ROTC by a student named Sharper?
10. Why didn't the author get the job he was promised in the summer of 1971?
Essay Topic 1
Why does the author strive to be the best, yet shy away from attention and praise? What is the author's motivation for excellence? What does the author personally gain from being a surgeon?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the author feel that some rules can be broken? What rules does he break in his career? How does breaking rules make him more successful than if he he only followed guidelines set by others?
Essay Topic 3
What is the author's greatest accomplishment? How does this accomplishment make a difference? What might be different if the author did not achieve this?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)