|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the author and his brother give up football in "Two Positives"?
2. What other role did the author's father serve in, that he recalls observing only once?
3. Who tells a story in "Eight Years Old" that led the author to his first religious experience?
4. Who introduced the author to Schubert's Eighth Symphony (Unfinished)?
5. What frightened the author at the start of "Eight Years Old" that he says are bigger than cats?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe his mother in "Carrying the Load"?
2. What did the author's mother teach her sons that she learned at work?
3. How does the author explain, in "College Choices" the miracle he experiences on a class exam?
4. How did the author's mother protect him and his brother?
5. Why didn't the author get the job he was promised in the summer of 1971?
6. Why did a photographer from the Yale Daily News take a picture of the author in "Changing the Rules"?
7. Describe the plan the author's mother devised to help him improve his grades.
8. What study strategy did the author develop in his second year of medical school to help him learn the material?
9. How did the author's mother mask her mental problems?
10. Why did the author believe he was going to die in "A Serious Step"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author treat people in other professions? What experiences influence how the author treats people outside the medical field? What has the author's mother taught him about people who work different jobs?
Essay Topic 2
What does the author know about his mother's mental condition while he is growing up? How does the author feel about his mother, once he learns of her psychological struggles? How might the author's perception of his mother change, as he learns more about the brain?
Essay Topic 3
Why might the author invest so much time in ROTC, when he has no intentions of entering the military? Describe his motivation for joining ROTC, his influences, and the skills he will be able to use in his medical career.
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)