|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did "The Top One Hundred" program help the author learn?
2. What college group was Candy involved in that amazed the author?
3. What year of college was the author in when he met Candy?
4. What did the author receive for making the fifth-hour class the best unit in the school?
5. What does the author say about regulations in "Changing the Rules"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the reasons the author gives in "A Serious Step" for not being ready for love?
2. How does the author take on the challenge of being student-sergeant for a rambunctious unit?
3. How did the author get the crew he supervises to be more productive, in "Changing the Rules"?
4. How did the author's mother mask her mental problems?
5. Why was the author impressed in the ROTC by a student named Sharper?
6. Describe capping.
7. What factors led to the author being a poor student at Higgins Elementary School?
8. How was the author's family life after his father left?
9. What did the author's mother teach her sons that she learned at work?
10. How did new glasses help the author in school?
Essay Topic 1
How does the author treat people in other professions? What experiences influence how the author treats people outside the medical field? What has the author's mother taught him about people who work different jobs?
Essay Topic 2
Reflect on the author's "Think Big" acrostic answer to success. Is it a realistic approach to success? Why or why not? How might schools, communities, or cultures be different if everyone followed each idea?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author change when he transfers to a predominately Black school in the eighth grade? How are his peers similar to his old classmates at Wilson Junior High? How are they different?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)