|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the author when he was baptized for the second time?
2. How old was the author when he learned that his father was leaving?
3. In "Eight Years Old," what made the author feel worse than being at the bottom of his class at Higgins Elementary School?
4. Where did the author's mother go when she said she was staying with relatives?
5. What damage did the author do with a rock in "A Terrible Temper"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the author put an end to the capping, in "A Boy's Big Problem"?
2. What study strategy did the author develop in his second year of medical school to help him learn the material?
3. Why did the author believe he was going to die in "A Serious Step"?
4. What is the reason people say the author has "gifted hands"?
5. Why did a photographer from the Yale Daily News take a picture of the author in "Changing the Rules"?
6. What happened in "A Terrible Temper," when the author's mother brought him a new pair of pants?
7. How does the author take on the challenge of being student-sergeant for a rambunctious unit?
8. Why didn't the author get the job he was promised in the summer of 1971?
9. How was the author's new neighborhood in "Eight Years Old" different from his old one?
10. Why was the author impressed in the ROTC by a student named Sharper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the author pursue a relationship during his college years, when he knows he must commit to years of education and training? What does Candy bring to the relationship that the author needs? What role does Candy play throughout the author's career?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the author believe he has "gifted hands"? How does he receive this gift? What does he do with the gift?
Essay Topic 3
What responsibility does the author feel to the Black community? What responsibility does he feel to all humans? Why does he pass up an opportunity that would allow him to help more Black patients?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)