|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What significant sign of recovery did Maranda show after her hemispherectomy?
(a) She talked.
(b) She had little swelling.
(c) She slept.
(d) She sat up on the gurney.
2. What homework assignment did the author give Luis and Terry Francisco before Maranda's surgery?
(a) Buy Maranda a toy from the gift shop.
(b) Say their prayers.
(c) Sign up for family counseling.
(d) Watch some movies to distract them from worry.
3. Who does the author complain, in "Another Step Forward," wouldn't talk to the "common people" like ward clerks or aides?
(a) Wealthy families.
(b) A few of the doctors.
(c) Celebrity patients.
(d) The veteran nurses.
4. What celebrity came to Johns Hopkins to visit Beth while she was comatose?
(a) Fred Rogers.
(c) Julie Andrews.
(d) Big Bird.
5. During what years was the author a resident at Johns Hopkins?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a pupilary response?
2. Before the author left for his interview in Baltimore, he decided that he wanted to be himself and be accepted or rejected by _____ and not _____.
3. Who reminded the author, in "Craig and Susan," to remember his mother's words about trusting the Lord?
4. In " Three Special Children," what does the author say is heartbreaking to watch parents do?
5. Denise's surgery, in "Little Beth," confirmed for the author that when people know their _____ and they know their job, it doesn't matter who _____ them.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author say "no knowledge is ever wasted," in "Another Step Forward"?
2. What happened at Johns Hopkins in 1985 that allowed the author more time?
3. How did the chief of surgery at Provident Hospital try to lure the author to work for him?
4. How does the author explain the phenomenon of plasticity?
5. What challenge did Patrick face after his surgery, in "The Rest of Their Story"?
6. What was controversial about Denise Baca's hemispherectomy?
7. What is Rasmussen's encephalitis?
8. Why did Brian and Kathy Usher initially decide against the hemispherectomy for their daughter, Beth?
9. How did Dr. Long handle a White patient who did not want a Black doctor on her case?
10. Describe Maranda Francisco's improvements after her hemispherectomy.
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)