|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say he liked to do with his father's hands?
(a) Read his palm.
(b) Smack them.
(c) Play with the veins.
(d) Draw pictures on them.
2. How did the author comfort himself about his capping on other students?
(a) He said he thought his father would approve.
(b) He said that everyone did it, and it was the only way to survive.
(c) He said it was not his fault there were ugly people at school.
(d) He said he would only do it until he got some better clothes.
3. Which of Candy's three college majors does the author say she eventually dropped?
4. What damage did the author do with a rock in "A Terrible Temper"?
(a) He broke his brother's model airplane.
(b) He broke a neighborhood kid's glasses and smashed his nose.
(c) He hit his mother with it.
(d) He smashed a window of a business in town.
5. Who tells a story in "Eight Years Old" that led the author to his first religious experience?
(b) Pastor Ford.
(c) Mrs. Williamson.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "College Choices," why did the author want to be alone after his "miracle" exam?
2. Why does the author say he felt the stigma of being poor more acutely?
3. What college did the author decide to attend?
4. Why did the author quit his job at Young and Rubicum Advertising?
5. What does the author say he felt "constant temptation" to do at his new school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author learn about the arts in "ROTC Triumph"?
2. How did the author's mother protect him and his brother?
3. Describe the plan the author's mother devised to help him improve his grades.
4. How did the author's mother respond to his announcement that he wanted to become a doctor?
5. What factors led to the author being a poor student at Higgins Elementary School?
6. How does the author describe his mother's way with finances?
7. How does the author describe his mother in "Carrying the Load"?
8. How does the author make his college choice in "College Choices"?
9. What role did the English teacher, Mrs. Miller, play in the author's life, in "ROTC Triumph"?
10. What is the reason people say the author has "gifted hands"?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)