|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who took the author's family in once they arrived in a new city?
(a) Some friends of the family.
(b) His grandparents.
(c) His aunt and uncle.
(d) His father.
2. What did the psychology professor give the author for being the most honest student in the class?
(a) A certificate.
(b) A ten-dollar bill.
(c) A subscription to Psychology Today.
(d) Extra credit.
3. Where did the author turn when he believed he could not pass an exam?
(a) To God.
(b) To his mother.
(c) To his academic adviser.
(d) To the campus tutoring center.
4. What was Candy Rustin's real name in "A Serious Step"?
5. The author told his mother that _____ are supposed to _____.
(a) Mothers and fathers/Stay together.
(c) Fathers/Do as they please.
(d) Mothers/Obey their husbands.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the author's mother consistently ask him about, no matter how tired she was?
2. What does the author say he liked to do with his father's hands?
3. What does the author say he felt "constant temptation" to do at his new school?
4. What type of curriculum did the school counselor enroll Curtis in, in Carrying the Load?
5. What did the author receive for making the fifth-hour class the best unit in the school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe capping.
2. What is the reason people say the author has "gifted hands"?
3. Why did the author believe he was going to die in "A Serious Step"?
4. In "Two Positives," why did the author say he stopped hopping trains?
5. How did being poor impact the author in "A Boy's Big Problem"?
6. What significance did Mary Thomas have in the author's life?
7. How does the author make his college choice in "College Choices"?
8. How does the author learn about the arts in "ROTC Triumph"?
9. In "A Terrible Temper," what led the author to hit Jerry over the head with a lock?
10. Why was the author impressed in the ROTC by a student named Sharper?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)