|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At 13, the author changed his goal of becoming a general practitioner to a what?
2. What gift does the author say has been an invaluable asset as a surgeon?
(a) His ability to see in three dimensions.
(b) His ability to attract friends.
(c) His aptitude for math.
(d) His physical coordination.
3. What frightened the author at the start of "Eight Years Old" that he says are bigger than cats?
4. What does the author say is the truth he learned much later about his father?
(a) That his father did not believe in God.
(b) That his father was abused as a child.
(c) That his father had another wife and other children.
(d) That his father had a history of substance abuse.
5. What other role did the author's father serve in, that he recalls observing only once?
(a) His father volunteered as a crossing guard.
(b) His father played trumpet in a jazz band.
(c) His father was a Baptist minister.
(d) His father was a member of the school board.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Terrible Temper," the author says once he reached the _____, he lost all _____.
2. How old was the author when he was baptized for the second time?
3. Why did the author change schools in the middle of eighth grade?
4. Why did students walk out on the psychology test in "Changing the Rules"?
5. What does the author say he has in his heart, regardless of the conditions around him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the plan the author's mother devised to help him improve his grades.
2. How did the author's mother protect him and his brother?
3. How does the author take on the challenge of being student-sergeant for a rambunctious unit?
4. What is the reason people say the author has "gifted hands"?
5. What study strategy did the author develop in his second year of medical school to help him learn the material?
6. In "A Terrible Temper," what led the author to hit Jerry over the head with a lock?
7. Describe capping.
8. Why didn't the author get the job he was promised in the summer of 1971?
9. How did the author's mother mask her mental problems?
10. What experience at college helped the author wash away some of his cockiness?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)