|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Changing the Rules," the author says that _____ could get him in the door but _____ and quality of work were the real tests.
(d) Good grades/Personality.
2. What damage did the author do with a rock in "A Terrible Temper"?
(a) He smashed a window of a business in town.
(b) He hit his mother with it.
(c) He broke a neighborhood kid's glasses and smashed his nose.
(d) He broke his brother's model airplane.
3. How did Alma Whittley help the author?
(a) She gave him a crash course in study skills.
(b) She helped him get a job at Ford Motor Company.
(c) She helped him write an essay for his college application.
(d) She gave him information about the biology program at Wayne State University.
4. Who is Curtis?
(a) The author's grandfather.
(b) The author's cousin.
(c) The author's brother.
(d) The author's father.
5. What did the author consider his biggest problem in tenth grade?
(a) Choosing a career.
(b) Thinking about college.
Short Answer Questions
1. What frightened the author at the start of "Eight Years Old" that he says are bigger than cats?
2. Which of Candy's three college majors does the author say she eventually dropped?
3. How did the author hurt a classmate who made him mad in "A Terrible Temper"?
4. What hymn does the author say dissolves his negativity?
5. Why did the author quit his job at Young and Rubicum Advertising?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe his mother's way with finances?
2. How did the author get the crew he supervises to be more productive, in "Changing the Rules"?
3. How does the author describe his mother in "Carrying the Load"?
4. How did the author's mother respond to his announcement that he wanted to become a doctor?
5. How did the author's mother protect him and his brother?
6. How was the author's family life after his father left?
7. What was the final event that led the author to break down and find determination to resolve his temper?
8. What significance did Mary Thomas have in the author's life?
9. What role did the English teacher, Mrs. Miller, play in the author's life, in "ROTC Triumph"?
10. How did the author respond to the news that his father was leaving the family?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)