|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the author discover when he began to read Proverbs?
(a) The language of the Bible made him even more angry.
(b) A string of verses about angry people.
(c) A chapter about a doctor who was a great healer.
(d) He did not understand the Bible.
2. What "wonderful summer job" did the author take after his first year at Yale?
(a) Camp counselor.
(b) Volunteer at a hospital.
(c) Supervisor with a highway crew.
(d) Lab technician at Wayne State University.
3. What score did the author receive on a math quiz that humiliated him?
(a) 9 out of 30.
(b) 0 out of 30.
(c) 28 out of 30.
(d) 15 out of 30.
4. The author told his mother that _____ are supposed to _____.
(a) Mothers/Obey their husbands.
(b) Fathers/Do as they please.
(d) Mothers and fathers/Stay together.
5. What was the author's mother determined to accomplish in Detroit?
(a) To get back together with her ex-husband.
(b) To reclaim the house the family once lived in.
(c) To go to night school.
(d) To enroll her sons in private school.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "College Choices," how long did the author spend studying for his exam?
2. What college group was Candy involved in that amazed the author?
3. What influential adult in "ROTC Triumph" told the author to "always put first things first"?
4. What does Mother tell the author his father had done?
5. Who told the author he should "dress the way you want to be"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the author impressed in the ROTC by a student named Sharper?
2. How did being poor impact the author in "A Boy's Big Problem"?
3. Describe the plan the author's mother devised to help him improve his grades.
4. Describe the author's relationship with his father, prior to his leaving the family.
5. What experience at college helped the author wash away some of his cockiness?
6. How did the author's mother protect him and his brother?
7. How did the author's mother respond to his announcement that he wanted to become a doctor?
8. What was the final event that led the author to break down and find determination to resolve his temper?
9. What is the reason people say the author has "gifted hands"?
10. How does the author describe his mother's way with finances?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)