|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the author change schools in the middle of eighth grade?
(a) He moved back to Boston.
(b) He got expelled from his old school.
(c) He transferred to a school for gifted children.
(d) He moved back to his old house.
2. What gift does the author say has been an invaluable asset as a surgeon?
(a) His ability to see in three dimensions.
(b) His ability to attract friends.
(c) His aptitude for math.
(d) His physical coordination.
3. What does the author say he liked to do with his father's hands?
(a) Draw pictures on them.
(b) Read his palm.
(c) Smack them.
(d) Play with the veins.
4. What did the author begin to do, in tenth grade, instead of coming home after school?
(a) Play basketball.
(b) Work at a gas station.
(c) Tutor his friends.
(d) Shoplift clothes at the local department store.
5. Why does the author say he felt the stigma of being poor more acutely?
(a) Because his clothes were dirty.
(b) Because he did not have a father.
(c) Because most of the kids at school were rich.
(d) Because his house was in need of repair.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did the author initially turn to for work, when he could not find a job in the summer of 1971?
2. What was the reason the author and his classmates were given for having to retake a test for the psychology class, Perceptions 101?
3. What does the author say he examined under the magnified lenses in Mr. Jaeck's class?
4. Who told the author he should "dress the way you want to be"?
5. Who introduced the author to Schubert's Eighth Symphony (Unfinished)?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author learn about the arts in "ROTC Triumph"?
2. Describe the author's relationship with his father, prior to his leaving the family.
3. Why did the author initially fall behind in his college studies?
4. What are the reasons the author gives in "A Serious Step" for not being ready for love?
5. What happened in "A Terrible Temper," when the author's mother brought him a new pair of pants?
6. How did the author respond to the news that his father was leaving the family?
7. Why did a photographer from the Yale Daily News take a picture of the author in "Changing the Rules"?
8. How did the author's mother protect him and his brother?
9. Describe capping.
10. How was the author's family life after his father left?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)