|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the author discover when he began to read Proverbs?
(a) He did not understand the Bible.
(b) A chapter about a doctor who was a great healer.
(c) The language of the Bible made him even more angry.
(d) A string of verses about angry people.
2. In "Changing the Rules," what common interest did the author share with attorney Ward Randall, Jr.?
(a) Classical music.
3. Where did the author's mother go when she said she was staying with relatives?
(a) To gamble.
(b) To visit her ex-husband.
(c) To pursue a singing career.
(d) A mental institution.
4. How old was the author when he was baptized for the second time?
5. What did the author, in "College Choices," score on his final chemistry exam?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say his mother brought a sense of to the family?
2. What was Candy Rustin's real name in "A Serious Step"?
3. What percent academic scholarship does the author say he received for college?
4. What frightened the author at the start of "Eight Years Old" that he says are bigger than cats?
5. Who told the author he should "dress the way you want to be"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the author impressed in the ROTC by a student named Sharper?
2. What lessons does the author learn from working at Ford Motor Company?
3. What significance did Mary Thomas have in the author's life?
4. How did Mr. Jaeck nurture the author's gift for science?
5. What are the reasons the author gives in "A Serious Step" for not being ready for love?
6. What did the author's mother teach her sons that she learned at work?
7. How did the author's mother respond to his announcement that he wanted to become a doctor?
8. How did the author's mother mask her mental problems?
9. What experience at college helped the author wash away some of his cockiness?
10. How did being poor impact the author in "A Boy's Big Problem"?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)