|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Alma Whittley help the author?
(a) She gave him a crash course in study skills.
(b) She helped him get a job at Ford Motor Company.
(c) She helped him write an essay for his college application.
(d) She gave him information about the biology program at Wayne State University.
2. What was the author's mother determined to accomplish in Detroit?
(a) To enroll her sons in private school.
(b) To get back together with her ex-husband.
(c) To reclaim the house the family once lived in.
(d) To go to night school.
3. What person does the author say came, when his mother "needed someone to care"?
(a) Mary Thomas.
(c) Bobby Farmer.
(d) His father.
4. Who took the author's family in once they arrived in a new city?
(a) His father.
(b) His grandparents.
(c) Some friends of the family.
(d) His aunt and uncle.
5. In "College Choices," why did the author only apply to one college?
(a) Only one college was interested in him.
(b) He only had enough money to pay for one application fee.
(c) He always knew the college he wanted to attend.
(d) He wanted to attend the same college as his girlfriend.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "College Choices," how long did the author spend studying for his exam?
2. Where did the author's mother go when she said she was staying with relatives?
3. What does the author say was his one complaint about his mother?
4. What did the psychology professor give the author for being the most honest student in the class?
5. What does the author say worship services and Bible lessons frequently focused on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What factors led to the author being a poor student at Higgins Elementary School?
2. What experience at college helped the author wash away some of his cockiness?
3. How does the author take on the challenge of being student-sergeant for a rambunctious unit?
4. How did the author get the crew he supervises to be more productive, in "Changing the Rules"?
5. Why did the author believe he was going to die in "A Serious Step"?
6. What did the author's mother teach her sons that she learned at work?
7. In "A Terrible Temper," what led the author to hit Jerry over the head with a lock?
8. How did the author's mother respond to his announcement that he wanted to become a doctor?
9. Why did the author initially fall behind in his college studies?
10. How does the author make his college choice in "College Choices"?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)