|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did the author initially turn to for work, when he could not find a job in the summer of 1971?
(a) Mr. Randall.
(b) Mr. Sandart.
(c) Mrs. Whittley.
(d) Mr. Seufert.
2. When does the author say he worked at Wayne State University in one of the biology laboratories?
(a) The year after he graduated from college.
(b) The summer between his junior and senior year of high school.
(c) The summer after his freshman year at Yale.
(d) During spring break of his sophomore year at Yale.
3. In "A Boy's Big Problem," what does the author say his mother needed in order to provide for the family and keep up the house?
(a) Food stamps.
(b) A second job.
(c) A therapist.
(d) A husband.
4. What was the author's mother determined to accomplish in Detroit?
(a) To get back together with her ex-husband.
(b) To reclaim the house the family once lived in.
(c) To go to night school.
(d) To enroll her sons in private school.
5. What type of work did the author's mother find in Boston?
(a) Secretarial work.
(b) Restaurant work.
(c) Domestic work.
(d) Factory work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did "The Top One Hundred" program help the author learn?
2. What does the author say in "Two Positives" was the worst part of school?
3. How old was the author's mother when she married his father?
4. What was the author offered, after he had dinner with Congressional Medal winners?
5. What was Candy Rustin's real name in "A Serious Step"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason people say the author has "gifted hands"?
2. How did the author's mother protect him and his brother?
3. How does the author learn about the arts in "ROTC Triumph"?
4. How did the author put an end to the capping, in "A Boy's Big Problem"?
5. How did being poor impact the author in "A Boy's Big Problem"?
6. How does the author explain, in "College Choices" the miracle he experiences on a class exam?
7. How does the author take on the challenge of being student-sergeant for a rambunctious unit?
8. How was the author's family life after his father left?
9. In "Two Positives," why did the author say he stopped hopping trains?
10. In "A Terrible Temper," what led the author to hit Jerry over the head with a lock?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)