|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What person does the author say came, when his mother "needed someone to care"?
(a) Mary Thomas.
(c) Bobby Farmer.
(d) His father.
2. Which of Candy's three college majors does the author say she eventually dropped?
3. What did the author discover when he began to read Proverbs?
(a) A string of verses about angry people.
(b) He did not understand the Bible.
(c) The language of the Bible made him even more angry.
(d) A chapter about a doctor who was a great healer.
4. Who does the author say was the "earliest, strongest, and most impacting force" in his life?
(a) His mother.
(b) His third grade teacher.
(c) His brother.
(d) His father.
5. Why does the author say he felt the stigma of being poor more acutely?
(a) Because he did not have a father.
(b) Because his clothes were dirty.
(c) Because his house was in need of repair.
(d) Because most of the kids at school were rich.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author told his mother that _____ are supposed to _____.
2. What holiday does the author recall made being 8-years-old the best year of his childhood?
3. Who was Alma Whittley?
4. In "College Choices," why did the author only apply to one college?
5. What did the author promise God after he took his exam, in "College Choices"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the author put an end to the capping, in "A Boy's Big Problem"?
2. How did Mr. Jaeck nurture the author's gift for science?
3. Why didn't the author get the job he was promised in the summer of 1971?
4. What experience at college helped the author wash away some of his cockiness?
5. Why did the author initially fall behind in his college studies?
6. How did the author's mother respond to his announcement that he wanted to become a doctor?
7. What happened in "A Terrible Temper," when the author's mother brought him a new pair of pants?
8. What role did the English teacher, Mrs. Miller, play in the author's life, in "ROTC Triumph"?
9. Describe capping.
10. How does the author take on the challenge of being student-sergeant for a rambunctious unit?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)