|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At 13, the author changed his goal of becoming a general practitioner to a what?
2. Who tells a story in "Eight Years Old" that led the author to his first religious experience?
(a) Pastor Ford.
(d) Mrs. Williamson.
3. Where did the author and his brother stay when his mother went away in Carrying the Load?
(a) Home alone.
(b) With relatives.
(c) With neighbors.
(d) With their father.
4. In "A Serious Step," what happened to cause the author's car to spin out of control near Youngstown, Ohio?
(a) He fell asleep.
(b) A large rock crashed onto the windshield.
(c) He swerved to avoid an eighteen wheeler.
(d) He ran out of gas.
5. Who does the author credit for helping him control his temper throughout his life?
(b) His mother.
(c) Mary Thomas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the author begin to do, in tenth grade, instead of coming home after school?
2. What did the author decide to do when he realized he could not control his temper?
3. Why did the author withdraw his applications to medical school programs at Johns Hopkins, Yale, Michigan State, and Wayne State?
4. What did the author receive for making the fifth-hour class the best unit in the school?
5. What score did the author receive on a math quiz that humiliated him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the final event that led the author to break down and find determination to resolve his temper?
2. How did new glasses help the author in school?
3. How did Mr. Jaeck nurture the author's gift for science?
4. What did the author's mother teach her sons that she learned at work?
5. How does the author take on the challenge of being student-sergeant for a rambunctious unit?
6. In "Two Positives," why did the author say he stopped hopping trains?
7. Describe capping.
8. Why was the author impressed in the ROTC by a student named Sharper?
9. What are the reasons the author gives in "A Serious Step" for not being ready for love?
10. How does the author learn about the arts in "ROTC Triumph"?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)