|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say was an embarrassing and painful experience at Hunter Junior High?
(a) Gym class.
(b) Learning about General Custer.
(d) Eating lunch.
2. Why does the author say he felt the stigma of being poor more acutely?
(a) Because he did not have a father.
(b) Because his clothes were dirty.
(c) Because his house was in need of repair.
(d) Because most of the kids at school were rich.
3. What was the author's mother determined to accomplish in Detroit?
(a) To go to night school.
(b) To get back together with her ex-husband.
(c) To enroll her sons in private school.
(d) To reclaim the house the family once lived in.
4. Why did the author become interested in Johns Hopkins University Hospital at the age of 10?
(a) That was where he got his tonsils taken out.
(b) `Someone from the hospital visited his school.
(c) His mom suggested that he practice medicine there.
(d) Every television or newspaper medical story seemed to feature someone there.
5. What does the author say he examined under the magnified lenses in Mr. Jaeck's class?
(a) Skin cells.
(b) Protozoa from water samples.
(d) Blades of grass.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Boy's Big Problem," what does the author say his mother needed in order to provide for the family and keep up the house?
2. What consequence did the author face if he failed a college class?
3. What was the author offered, after he had dinner with Congressional Medal winners?
4. What did the author, in "College Choices," score on his final chemistry exam?
5. What group at Wilson Junior High asked the author how to solve problems?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the plan the author's mother devised to help him improve his grades.
2. What role did the English teacher, Mrs. Miller, play in the author's life, in "ROTC Triumph"?
3. How did the author put an end to the capping, in "A Boy's Big Problem"?
4. What happened in "A Terrible Temper," when the author's mother brought him a new pair of pants?
5. What did the author's mother teach her sons that she learned at work?
6. What lessons does the author learn from working at Ford Motor Company?
7. How did the author's mother respond to his announcement that he wanted to become a doctor?
8. Why did the author believe he was going to die in "A Serious Step"?
9. What significance did Mary Thomas have in the author's life?
10. How does the author describe his mother's way with finances?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)