|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the author and his brother often travel to Wilson Junior High?
(a) They hitchhiked.
(b) They hopped trains.
(c) They roller skated.
(d) They rode bikes.
2. In "A Serious Step," who helped the author get a summer job at Sennet Steel?
(a) A stranger.
(c) A classmate
(d) His mother.
3. What grade did the author receive in math that gave him hope?
4. In "College Choices," how long did the author spend studying for his exam?
(a) Eight hours.
(b) All night.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Two hours.
5. The author graduates _____ in his senior high school class.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did the author's family move back to Detroit?
2. What does the author say he liked to do with his father's hands?
3. How did Bobby Farmer impress the author during a history class?
4. In "A Boy's Big Problem," what does the author say his mother needed in order to provide for the family and keep up the house?
5. What influential adult in "ROTC Triumph" told the author to "always put first things first"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author take on the challenge of being student-sergeant for a rambunctious unit?
2. How did the author's mother protect him and his brother?
3. How did Mr. Jaeck nurture the author's gift for science?
4. What study strategy did the author develop in his second year of medical school to help him learn the material?
5. How does the author make his college choice in "College Choices"?
6. Why did the author believe he was going to die in "A Serious Step"?
7. How did the author put an end to the capping, in "A Boy's Big Problem"?
8. What experience at college helped the author wash away some of his cockiness?
9. What role did the English teacher, Mrs. Miller, play in the author's life, in "ROTC Triumph"?
10. How does the author learn about the arts in "ROTC Triumph"?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)