|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What frightened the author at the start of "Eight Years Old" that he says are bigger than cats?
2. Why did the author become interested in Johns Hopkins University Hospital at the age of 10?
(a) That was where he got his tonsils taken out.
(b) `Someone from the hospital visited his school.
(c) Every television or newspaper medical story seemed to feature someone there.
(d) His mom suggested that he practice medicine there.
3. Who introduced the author to Schubert's Eighth Symphony (Unfinished)?
(a) Mrs. Miller.
(d) Sgt. Hunt.
4. Where did the author's family move, after his mother decided to rent their house?
(b) New York City.
5. What grade did the author receive in math that gave him hope?
Short Answer Questions
1. The author's mother told him if he could _____, he could learn just about anything he wanted to know.
2. In "A Boy's Big Problem," what does the author say his mother needed in order to provide for the family and keep up the house?
3. What impression did the author have that his grades reinforced?
4. What instrument did the author play in ninth grade?
5. Why did the author nearly kill his friend, Bob, with a knife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the plan the author's mother devised to help him improve his grades.
2. How does the author make his college choice in "College Choices"?
3. What experience at college helped the author wash away some of his cockiness?
4. What happened in "A Terrible Temper," when the author's mother brought him a new pair of pants?
5. How was the author's new neighborhood in "Eight Years Old" different from his old one?
6. How does the author explain, in "College Choices" the miracle he experiences on a class exam?
7. How did the author put an end to the capping, in "A Boy's Big Problem"?
8. What factors led to the author being a poor student at Higgins Elementary School?
9. How did being poor impact the author in "A Boy's Big Problem"?
10. Why did a photographer from the Yale Daily News take a picture of the author in "Changing the Rules"?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)