|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What rule did the author's mother set for his television watching?
(a) He was no longer allowed to watch television.
(b) He could only watch television on Saturdays.
(c) He could watch television when he finished his homework.
(d) He could watch three programs a week.
2. What does Mother tell the author his father had done?
(a) Lost a bet.
(b) Bad things.
(c) Gotten a new job.
(d) Gotten in a fight.
3. Why did the author and his brother give up football in "Two Positives"?
(a) They decided to join the math team instead.
(b) They were threatened by a group of men after practice.
(c) They thought the coach was too hard on them.
(d) Their mother made them quit the team.
4. In "Eight Years Old," what made the author feel worse than being at the bottom of his class at Higgins Elementary School?
(a) The teasing and taunting from other kids.
(b) The teacher who belittled him.
(c) The judgment from his mother.
(d) The principal who wrongfully accused him of cheating.
5. In "College Choices," how long did the author spend studying for his exam?
(a) All night.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Two hours.
(d) Eight hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. What grade did the author receive in math that gave him hope?
2. In "College Choices," why did the author want to be alone after his "miracle" exam?
3. What does the author say his mother brought a sense of to the family?
4. Who took the author's family in once they arrived in a new city?
5. What holiday does the author recall made being 8-years-old the best year of his childhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the author initially fall behind in his college studies?
2. What was the author's father like intellectually?
3. How was the author's new neighborhood in "Eight Years Old" different from his old one?
4. What lessons does the author learn from working at Ford Motor Company?
5. What role did the English teacher, Mrs. Miller, play in the author's life, in "ROTC Triumph"?
6. How does the author learn about the arts in "ROTC Triumph"?
7. What are the reasons the author gives in "A Serious Step" for not being ready for love?
8. What experience at college helped the author wash away some of his cockiness?
9. How did the author's mother protect him and his brother?
10. In "A Terrible Temper," what led the author to hit Jerry over the head with a lock?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)