|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say about regulations in "Changing the Rules"?
(a) He says they keep things running smoothly all the time.
(b) He says they sometimes hinder and need to be broken or ignored.
(c) He says that following them is the key to his success.
(d) He says he usually disagrees with them but follows them anyway.
2. When does the author say he worked at Wayne State University in one of the biology laboratories?
(a) The summer between his junior and senior year of high school.
(b) The year after he graduated from college.
(c) The summer after his freshman year at Yale.
(d) During spring break of his sophomore year at Yale.
3. What did the author begin to do, in tenth grade, instead of coming home after school?
(a) Shoplift clothes at the local department store.
(b) Play basketball.
(c) Tutor his friends.
(d) Work at a gas station.
4. Why did the author become interested in Johns Hopkins University Hospital at the age of 10?
(a) That was where he got his tonsils taken out.
(b) `Someone from the hospital visited his school.
(c) His mom suggested that he practice medicine there.
(d) Every television or newspaper medical story seemed to feature someone there.
5. What does the author say is the truth he learned much later about his father?
(a) That his father was abused as a child.
(b) That his father had a history of substance abuse.
(c) That his father did not believe in God.
(d) That his father had another wife and other children.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "College Choices," why did the author only apply to one college?
2. What did "The Top One Hundred" program help the author learn?
3. What does Mother tell the author his father had done?
4. Why did the author and his brother give up football in "Two Positives"?
5. What person does the author say came, when his mother "needed someone to care"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What factors led to the author being a poor student at Higgins Elementary School?
2. What significance did Mary Thomas have in the author's life?
3. How does the author describe his mother's way with finances?
4. Describe how the author has managed his temper in the years since he tried to kill his friend, Bob.
5. In "A Terrible Temper," what led the author to hit Jerry over the head with a lock?
6. How did the author's mother respond to his announcement that he wanted to become a doctor?
7. How does the author learn about the arts in "ROTC Triumph"?
8. How does the author explain, in "College Choices" the miracle he experiences on a class exam?
9. Why was the author impressed in the ROTC by a student named Sharper?
10. Why didn't the author get the job he was promised in the summer of 1971?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)