|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What person does the author say came, when his mother "needed someone to care"?
(a) His father.
(b) Mary Thomas.
(d) Bobby Farmer.
2. Where did the author turn when he believed he could not pass an exam?
(a) To his academic adviser.
(b) To God.
(c) To his mother.
(d) To the campus tutoring center.
3. What was Candy Rustin's real name in "A Serious Step"?
4. Where does the author describe his father working, until his retirement in the 1970s?
(a) A funeral home.
(b) Paradise Theater.
(c) A Cadillac plant.
(d) A mill.
5. What was the author's mother determined to accomplish in Detroit?
(a) To get back together with her ex-husband.
(b) To reclaim the house the family once lived in.
(c) To enroll her sons in private school.
(d) To go to night school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What score did the author receive on a math quiz that humiliated him?
2. Who did the author initially turn to for work, when he could not find a job in the summer of 1971?
3. In "A Terrible Temper," the author says once he reached the _____, he lost all _____.
4. What group at Wilson Junior High asked the author how to solve problems?
5. What does Mother tell the author his father had done?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the author's father like intellectually?
2. What study strategy did the author develop in his second year of medical school to help him learn the material?
3. How did the author get the crew he supervises to be more productive, in "Changing the Rules"?
4. How was the author's new neighborhood in "Eight Years Old" different from his old one?
5. How did Mr. Jaeck nurture the author's gift for science?
6. How was the author's family life after his father left?
7. How does the author describe his mother in "Carrying the Load"?
8. How does the author explain, in "College Choices" the miracle he experiences on a class exam?
9. How did the author respond to the news that his father was leaving the family?
10. What factors led to the author being a poor student at Higgins Elementary School?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)