|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the author change schools in the middle of eighth grade?
(a) He moved back to his old house.
(b) He got expelled from his old school.
(c) He moved back to Boston.
(d) He transferred to a school for gifted children.
2. Who introduced the author to Schubert's Eighth Symphony (Unfinished)?
(a) Sgt. Hunt.
(b) Mrs. Miller.
3. What score did the author receive on a math quiz that humiliated him?
(a) 0 out of 30.
(b) 28 out of 30.
(c) 9 out of 30.
(d) 15 out of 30.
4. What other role did the author's father serve in, that he recalls observing only once?
(a) His father played trumpet in a jazz band.
(b) His father was a member of the school board.
(c) His father volunteered as a crossing guard.
(d) His father was a Baptist minister.
5. In "A Terrible Temper," the author realized that if people could make him _____, they could ______.
(a) Study/Help him become a doctor.
(b) Pray/Help him control his temper.
(c) Angry/Control him.
(d) Successful/Find their own success.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the author nearly kill his friend, Bob, with a knife?
2. In "Eight Years Old," what made the author feel worse than being at the bottom of his class at Higgins Elementary School?
3. What job did the author recommend Candy try out for at his church in "A Serious Step"?
4. How did Alma Whittley help the author?
5. What did the author discover when he began to read Proverbs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did being poor impact the author in "A Boy's Big Problem"?
2. In "Two Positives," why did the author say he stopped hopping trains?
3. What role did the English teacher, Mrs. Miller, play in the author's life, in "ROTC Triumph"?
4. What happened in "A Terrible Temper," when the author's mother brought him a new pair of pants?
5. Why did the author believe he was going to die in "A Serious Step"?
6. Why was the author impressed in the ROTC by a student named Sharper?
7. Describe capping.
8. What did the author's mother teach her sons that she learned at work?
9. How was the author's new neighborhood in "Eight Years Old" different from his old one?
10. In "A Terrible Temper," what led the author to hit Jerry over the head with a lock?
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)