|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was the author when he learned that his father was leaving?
2. What holiday does the author recall made being 8-years-old the best year of his childhood?
(a) Valentine's Day.
3. What was Candy Rustin's real name in "A Serious Step"?
4. What percent academic scholarship does the author say he received for college?
5. How does the author say Curtis' grades changed in the last year?
(a) They changed very little.
(b) They had gone from good to great.
(c) They had been climbing.
(d) They were mostly failing grades.
6. In what year did the author's family move back to Detroit?
7. What "wonderful summer job" did the author take after his first year at Yale?
(a) Camp counselor.
(b) Supervisor with a highway crew.
(c) Volunteer at a hospital.
(d) Lab technician at Wayne State University.
8. What does the author say he examined under the magnified lenses in Mr. Jaeck's class?
(a) Blades of grass.
(b) Protozoa from water samples.
(d) Skin cells.
9. What does the author say he would do before he let his classmates know they hurt him?
(b) Stand outside in the cold.
10. What did the author promise God after he took his exam, in "College Choices"?
(a) To never put Him in that position again.
(b) To go to church that weekend.
(c) To do something special for his mother.
(d) To study longer for the next exam.
11. In "A Boy's Big Problem," what does the author say his mother needed in order to provide for the family and keep up the house?
(a) Food stamps.
(b) A second job.
(c) A therapist.
(d) A husband.
12. What influential adult in "ROTC Triumph" told the author to "always put first things first"?
(a) Mr. McCotter.
(b) Sgt. Bandy.
(c) Mrs. Miller.
(d) Mr. Doakes.
13. When does the author say he worked at Wayne State University in one of the biology laboratories?
(a) During spring break of his sophomore year at Yale.
(b) The summer after his freshman year at Yale.
(c) The summer between his junior and senior year of high school.
(d) The year after he graduated from college.
14. What does Mother tell the author his father had done?
(a) Lost a bet.
(b) Gotten in a fight.
(c) Gotten a new job.
(d) Bad things.
15. Who took the author's family in once they arrived in a new city?
(a) His grandparents.
(b) Some friends of the family.
(c) His aunt and uncle.
(d) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the author receive for making the fifth-hour class the best unit in the school?
2. What did the author discover when he began to read Proverbs?
3. In "Changing the Rules," the author says that _____ could get him in the door but _____ and quality of work were the real tests.
4. The author told his mother that _____ are supposed to _____.
5. How did Alma Whittley help the author?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)