|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the author's family move, after his mother decided to rent their house?
(c) New York City.
2. Who told the author he should "dress the way you want to be"?
(a) His teacher.
(b) His mother.
(d) His father.
3. What does the author say in "Two Positives" was the worst part of school?
(b) Math quizzes.
(c) Book reports.
(d) Weekly spelling bees.
4. How old was the author when he was baptized for the second time?
5. What other role did the author's father serve in, that he recalls observing only once?
(a) His father was a Baptist minister.
(b) His father volunteered as a crossing guard.
(c) His father was a member of the school board.
(d) His father played trumpet in a jazz band.
6. What did Candy's family think was strange about her new church in "A Serious Step"?
(a) It embraced classical music.
(b) It forbade the drinking of alcohol.
(c) It offered weekly Bible classes.
(d) It met on Saturday.
7. What does the author say was an embarrassing and painful experience at Hunter Junior High?
(b) Gym class.
(c) Learning about General Custer.
(d) Eating lunch.
8. How often did the author wear an ROTC uniform at school?
(a) Three days a week.
(b) Every Friday.
(c) Every day.
(d) Two days a week.
9. In "A Terrible Temper," the author realized that if people could make him _____, they could ______.
(a) Study/Help him become a doctor.
(b) Angry/Control him.
(c) Pray/Help him control his temper.
(d) Successful/Find their own success.
10. Who does the author say was the "earliest, strongest, and most impacting force" in his life?
(a) His brother.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His third grade teacher.
11. When does the author say he worked at Wayne State University in one of the biology laboratories?
(a) During spring break of his sophomore year at Yale.
(b) The year after he graduated from college.
(c) The summer between his junior and senior year of high school.
(d) The summer after his freshman year at Yale.
12. At the start of "Goodbye, Daddy," who told the author that his father was moving out of the family home?
(a) His brother.
(b) His mom.
(c) His dad.
(d) His grandmother.
13. Why did students walk out on the psychology test in "Changing the Rules"?
(a) The room started to smell like smoke.
(b) The test was too hard.
(c) There was a war protest.
(d) There was a fight outside.
14. How much education does the author say his mother had when she married?
(a) Tenth grade.
(b) Third grade.
(c) High school.
15. What was Candy Rustin's real name in "A Serious Step"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What job did the author recommend Candy try out for at his church in "A Serious Step"?
2. The author told his mother that _____ are supposed to _____.
3. Who tells a story in "Eight Years Old" that led the author to his first religious experience?
4. What did the psychology professor give the author for being the most honest student in the class?
5. What method in "Two Positives" does the author say his family used to protect each other?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)