|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of work did the author's mother find in Boston?
(a) Restaurant work.
(b) Factory work.
(c) Secretarial work.
(d) Domestic work.
2. At the start of "Goodbye, Daddy," who told the author that his father was moving out of the family home?
(a) His dad.
(b) His brother.
(c) His mom.
(d) His grandmother.
3. What was Candy Rustin's real name in "A Serious Step"?
4. In "A Terrible Temper," what does the author say had become a daily habit?
(a) Punching a pillow.
(b) Reading the Bible.
(c) Working out.
(d) Playing clarinet.
5. The author's mother told him if he could _____, he could learn just about anything he wanted to know.
(b) Follow directions.
(c) Do math.
6. What did "The Top One Hundred" program help the author learn?
(a) Leadership skills.
(b) Classical music.
(d) Science facts.
7. What does the author's mother call him in "Goodbye Daddy"?
8. At times, the author says, his mother's refusal to settle for less came across as _____, _____, even _____ to him.
9. Who is Curtis?
(a) The author's grandfather.
(b) The author's father.
(c) The author's cousin.
(d) The author's brother.
10. How does the author say Curtis' grades changed in the last year?
(a) They were mostly failing grades.
(b) They had been climbing.
(c) They changed very little.
(d) They had gone from good to great.
11. What college group was Candy involved in that amazed the author?
(a) Honor Society.
(b) Yale Repertory Theatre.
(c) Yale Symphony and Bach Society.
(d) An underground newspaper.
12. What did Candy's family think was strange about her new church in "A Serious Step"?
(a) It embraced classical music.
(b) It offered weekly Bible classes.
(c) It forbade the drinking of alcohol.
(d) It met on Saturday.
13. What college did the author decide to attend?
(d) University of Michigan.
14. What does the author say is the truth he learned much later about his father?
(a) That his father had a history of substance abuse.
(b) That his father had another wife and other children.
(c) That his father did not believe in God.
(d) That his father was abused as a child.
15. Who does the author credit for helping him control his temper throughout his life?
(b) His mother.
(d) Mary Thomas.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often did the author wear an ROTC uniform at school?
2. In "A Boy's Big Problem," what does the author say his mother needed in order to provide for the family and keep up the house?
3. Who was Alma Whittley?
4. What did the psychology professor give the author for being the most honest student in the class?
5. In "ROTC Triumph," why does the author say he looked forward to Sunday nights?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)