|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What frightened the author at the start of "Eight Years Old" that he says are bigger than cats?
2. What was the author offered, after he had dinner with Congressional Medal winners?
(a) A scholarship to West Point.
(b) A book about Vietnam.
(c) A limo ride with General Westmoreland.
(d) A trip to the White House.
3. What does the author say he liked to do with his father's hands?
(a) Draw pictures on them.
(b) Play with the veins.
(c) Read his palm.
(d) Smack them.
4. In "Changing the Rules," the author says that _____ could get him in the door but _____ and quality of work were the real tests.
(d) Good grades/Personality.
5. What hymn does the author say dissolves his negativity?
(a) "Jesus Is All the World to Me."
(b) "Nearer My God to Thee."
(c) "Just As I Am."
(d) "Amazing Grace."
6. In "A Terrible Temper," what does the author say had become a daily habit?
(a) Playing clarinet.
(b) Reading the Bible.
(c) Punching a pillow.
(d) Working out.
7. What did the Yale admissions office pay for the author and Candy to do before Thanksgiving 1972?
(a) Buy a house.
(b) Start a religious club on campus.
(c) Recruit in Detroit area high schools.
(d) Register in a marathon.
8. Where did the author's family move, after his mother decided to rent their house?
(b) New York City.
9. In "A Serious Step," who helped the author get a summer job at Sennet Steel?
(a) His mother.
(b) A stranger.
(c) A classmate
10. How did the author and his brother often travel to Wilson Junior High?
(a) They rode bikes.
(b) They hitchhiked.
(c) They roller skated.
(d) They hopped trains.
11. What did the author's mother consistently ask him about, no matter how tired she was?
12. Where does the author describe his father working, until his retirement in the 1970s?
(a) A funeral home.
(b) A Cadillac plant.
(c) Paradise Theater.
(d) A mill.
13. What was the reason the author and his classmates were given for having to retake a test for the psychology class, Perceptions 101?
(a) No one passed the first test.
(b) The tests were lost.
(c) There was too much talking during the first test.
(d) The tests were inadvertently burned.
14. Where did the author turn when he believed he could not pass an exam?
(a) To his mother.
(b) To his academic adviser.
(c) To God.
(d) To the campus tutoring center.
15. In "A Terrible Temper," the author says once he reached the _____, he lost all _____.
(a) Principal's office/Anger.
(b) Top of the class/Motivation.
(c) Boiling point/Rational control.
(d) Popular kids/Respect.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Eight Years Old," what made the author feel worse than being at the bottom of his class at Higgins Elementary School?
2. What did the author decide to do when he realized he could not control his temper?
3. What does the author say about regulations in "Changing the Rules"?
4. What gift does the author say has been an invaluable asset as a surgeon?
5. The author told his mother that _____ are supposed to _____.
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)