|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the author change schools in the middle of eighth grade?
(a) He moved back to Boston.
(b) He got expelled from his old school.
(c) He transferred to a school for gifted children.
(d) He moved back to his old house.
2. How did the author and his brother often travel to Wilson Junior High?
(a) They hopped trains.
(b) They roller skated.
(c) They hitchhiked.
(d) They rode bikes.
3. The author told his mother that _____ are supposed to _____.
(a) Mothers and fathers/Stay together.
(b) Fathers/Do as they please.
(d) Mothers/Obey their husbands.
4. Who is Curtis?
(a) The author's grandfather.
(b) The author's father.
(c) The author's cousin.
(d) The author's brother.
5. Which of Candy's three college majors does the author say she eventually dropped?
6. Where did the mother expect her sons to go each week, instead of watching television?
(a) To the library.
(b) To church.
(c) To do volunteer work at a nursing home.
(d) To an afterschool program.
7. Why did the author and his brother give up football in "Two Positives"?
(a) They thought the coach was too hard on them.
(b) They were threatened by a group of men after practice.
(c) They decided to join the math team instead.
(d) Their mother made them quit the team.
8. Who introduced the author to Schubert's Eighth Symphony (Unfinished)?
(a) Sgt. Hunt.
(d) Mrs. Miller.
9. What "wonderful summer job" did the author take after his first year at Yale?
(a) Camp counselor.
(b) Volunteer at a hospital.
(c) Supervisor with a highway crew.
(d) Lab technician at Wayne State University.
10. What did "The Top One Hundred" program help the author learn?
(a) Science facts.
(c) Leadership skills.
(d) Classical music.
11. What does the author say he examined under the magnified lenses in Mr. Jaeck's class?
(a) Skin cells.
(b) Blades of grass.
(c) Protozoa from water samples.
12. In "A Serious Step," what happened to cause the author's car to spin out of control near Youngstown, Ohio?
(a) He ran out of gas.
(b) He swerved to avoid an eighteen wheeler.
(c) A large rock crashed onto the windshield.
(d) He fell asleep.
13. What grade did the author receive in math that gave him hope?
14. What does the author say his mother brought a sense of to the family?
15. What does Mother tell the author his father had done?
(a) Lost a bet.
(b) Gotten in a fight.
(c) Bad things.
(d) Gotten a new job.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the author's mother go when she said she was staying with relatives?
2. In "A Boy's Big Problem," what does the author say his mother needed in order to provide for the family and keep up the house?
3. What was the author offered, after he had dinner with Congressional Medal winners?
4. How did Alma Whittley help the author?
5. Where did the author turn when he believed he could not pass an exam?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)