|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the author turn when he believed he could not pass an exam?
(a) To God.
(b) To the campus tutoring center.
(c) To his mother.
(d) To his academic adviser.
2. What did the author's mother buy for him that he rejected, saying they were the "wrong kind"?
(d) Art supplies.
3. What does the author say he would do before he let his classmates know they hurt him?
(a) Stand outside in the cold.
4. What does the author's mother call him in "Goodbye Daddy"?
5. What college did the author decide to attend?
(d) University of Michigan.
6. How did the author and his brother often travel to Wilson Junior High?
(a) They hopped trains.
(b) They roller skated.
(c) They hitchhiked.
(d) They rode bikes.
7. What influential adult in "ROTC Triumph" told the author to "always put first things first"?
(a) Mr. McCotter.
(b) Mr. Doakes.
(c) Mrs. Miller.
(d) Sgt. Bandy.
8. What other role did the author's father serve in, that he recalls observing only once?
(a) His father was a Baptist minister.
(b) His father played trumpet in a jazz band.
(c) His father volunteered as a crossing guard.
(d) His father was a member of the school board.
9. Who told the author he should "dress the way you want to be"?
(a) His father.
(c) His teacher.
(d) His mother.
10. What does Mother tell the author his father had done?
(a) Gotten in a fight.
(b) Lost a bet.
(c) Gotten a new job.
(d) Bad things.
11. Who tells a story in "Eight Years Old" that led the author to his first religious experience?
(a) Pastor Ford.
(d) Mrs. Williamson.
12. In "Changing the Rules," the author says that _____ could get him in the door but _____ and quality of work were the real tests.
(a) Good grades/Personality.
13. Why did the author withdraw his applications to medical school programs at Johns Hopkins, Yale, Michigan State, and Wayne State?
(a) He realized he applied to too many programs.
(b) He was accepted to the University of Michigan.
(c) He decided to take a year off to get married.
(d) He received a fellowship to study abroad.
14. What happened halfway through the author's fifth grade year?
(a) He met the President.
(b) He went to Disneyland.
(c) He got an eye examination at school.
(d) He won a science competition.
15. Where did the mother expect her sons to go each week, instead of watching television?
(a) To do volunteer work at a nursing home.
(b) To an afterschool program.
(c) To the library.
(d) To church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the author, in "College Choices," score on his final chemistry exam?
2. What does the author say in "Two Positives" was the worst part of school?
3. In "College Choices," what was the class that the author fell behind in the most?
4. What score did the author receive on a math quiz that humiliated him?
5. What did the author begin to do, in tenth grade, instead of coming home after school?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)