|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "A Boy's Big Problem," why does the author say he hated to buy bread or milk at the store?
(a) It took away from his study time.
(b) His mom never sent him with enough money.
(c) He says the people at the store treated him rudely.
(d) He had to use food stamps and feared a friend might see him.
2. What influential adult in "ROTC Triumph" told the author to "always put first things first"?
(a) Mr. Doakes.
(b) Mrs. Miller.
(c) Mr. McCotter.
(d) Sgt. Bandy.
3. Why did students walk out on the psychology test in "Changing the Rules"?
(a) There was a fight outside.
(b) The room started to smell like smoke.
(c) There was a war protest.
(d) The test was too hard.
4. What does the author say he felt "constant temptation" to do at his new school?
(a) Become one of the guys.
(b) Skip class.
(c) Get a girlfriend.
(d) Get a bad grade.
5. What year does the author say he no longer waited for his father to come home from work?
6. Why did the author become interested in Johns Hopkins University Hospital at the age of 10?
(a) Every television or newspaper medical story seemed to feature someone there.
(b) That was where he got his tonsils taken out.
(c) `Someone from the hospital visited his school.
(d) His mom suggested that he practice medicine there.
7. What college did the author decide to attend?
(a) University of Michigan.
8. What did Aubrey Tompkins suggest when Candy's audition at the church did not work out?
(a) That she sing in the choir.
(b) That she try harder next time.
(c) That she keep practicing.
(d) That she go home.
9. Where did the author turn when he believed he could not pass an exam?
(a) To God.
(b) To his academic adviser.
(c) To the campus tutoring center.
(d) To his mother.
10. What does the author say his mother brought a sense of to the family?
11. Where did the author's family move, after his mother decided to rent their house?
(d) New York City.
12. Who was Alma Whittley?
(a) The author's cousin.
(b) The author's chemistry professor.
(c) A supervisor at Wayne State University.
(d) A counselor at the author's high school.
13. Where did the author and his brother stay when his mother went away in Carrying the Load?
(a) With their father.
(b) With neighbors.
(c) With relatives.
(d) Home alone.
14. What subtle way did the author's mother encourage him in "ROTC Triumph"?
(a) She lectured him.
(b) She left hints around the house about what college she wanted him to attend.
(c) She quoted poems and famous sayings to him.
(d) She read to him from the Bible.
15. In "Changing the Rules," the author says that _____ could get him in the door but _____ and quality of work were the real tests.
(b) Good grades/Personality.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Candy's family think was strange about her new church in "A Serious Step"?
2. What does Mother tell the author his father had done?
3. The author's mother told him if he could _____, he could learn just about anything he wanted to know.
4. What did the author discover when he began to read Proverbs?
5. In "College Choices," what was the class that the author fell behind in the most?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)