|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was the author when he learned that his father was leaving?
2. What holiday does the author recall made being 8-years-old the best year of his childhood?
(a) Valentine's Day.
3. What does the author say about regulations in "Changing the Rules"?
(a) He says they keep things running smoothly all the time.
(b) He says he usually disagrees with them but follows them anyway.
(c) He says that following them is the key to his success.
(d) He says they sometimes hinder and need to be broken or ignored.
4. What did Aubrey Tompkins suggest when Candy's audition at the church did not work out?
(a) That she go home.
(b) That she keep practicing.
(c) That she try harder next time.
(d) That she sing in the choir.
5. Who does the author say was the "earliest, strongest, and most impacting force" in his life?
(a) His third grade teacher.
(b) His brother.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
6. What happened halfway through the author's fifth grade year?
(a) He met the President.
(b) He went to Disneyland.
(c) He won a science competition.
(d) He got an eye examination at school.
7. Where did the author and his brother stay when his mother went away in Carrying the Load?
(a) With their father.
(b) Home alone.
(c) With relatives.
(d) With neighbors.
8. What did the psychology professor give the author for being the most honest student in the class?
(a) Extra credit.
(b) A ten-dollar bill.
(c) A certificate.
(d) A subscription to Psychology Today.
9. Which of Candy's three college majors does the author say she eventually dropped?
10. What method in "Two Positives" does the author say his family used to protect each other?
11. In "A Serious Step," what happened to cause the author's car to spin out of control near Youngstown, Ohio?
(a) He ran out of gas.
(b) He fell asleep.
(c) He swerved to avoid an eighteen wheeler.
(d) A large rock crashed onto the windshield.
12. Who does the author credit for helping him control his temper throughout his life?
(a) Mary Thomas.
(b) His mother.
13. What percent academic scholarship does the author say he received for college?
14. How did Alma Whittley help the author?
(a) She helped him get a job at Ford Motor Company.
(b) She helped him write an essay for his college application.
(c) She gave him information about the biology program at Wayne State University.
(d) She gave him a crash course in study skills.
15. Where does the author describe his father working, until his retirement in the 1970s?
(a) A funeral home.
(b) A Cadillac plant.
(c) Paradise Theater.
(d) A mill.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Boy's Big Problem," why does the author say he hated to buy bread or milk at the store?
2. What did the author discover when he began to read Proverbs?
3. In "A Serious Step," who helped the author get a summer job at Sennet Steel?
4. What does Mother tell the author his father had done?
5. What college group was Candy involved in that amazed the author?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)