|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author's mother told him if he could _____, he could learn just about anything he wanted to know.
(a) Follow directions.
(c) Do math.
2. Why did students walk out on the psychology test in "Changing the Rules"?
(a) The room started to smell like smoke.
(b) There was a fight outside.
(c) The test was too hard.
(d) There was a war protest.
3. In "A Terrible Temper," what does the author say had become a daily habit?
(a) Punching a pillow.
(b) Working out.
(c) Reading the Bible.
(d) Playing clarinet.
4. What instrument did the author play in ninth grade?
5. Which of Candy's three college majors does the author say she eventually dropped?
6. How much education does the author say his mother had when she married?
(a) Tenth grade.
(b) High school.
(d) Third grade.
7. Why did the author become interested in Johns Hopkins University Hospital at the age of 10?
(a) His mom suggested that he practice medicine there.
(b) Every television or newspaper medical story seemed to feature someone there.
(c) `Someone from the hospital visited his school.
(d) That was where he got his tonsils taken out.
8. Who does the author credit for helping him control his temper throughout his life?
(a) Mary Thomas.
(b) His mother.
9. How often did the author wear an ROTC uniform at school?
(a) Every Friday.
(b) Three days a week.
(c) Two days a week.
(d) Every day.
10. What did the author begin to do, in tenth grade, instead of coming home after school?
(a) Play basketball.
(b) Shoplift clothes at the local department store.
(c) Tutor his friends.
(d) Work at a gas station.
11. Where did the mother expect her sons to go each week, instead of watching television?
(a) To the library.
(b) To church.
(c) To do volunteer work at a nursing home.
(d) To an afterschool program.
12. What did the author, in "College Choices," score on his final chemistry exam?
13. Why did the author and his brother give up football in "Two Positives"?
(a) Their mother made them quit the team.
(b) They decided to join the math team instead.
(c) They were threatened by a group of men after practice.
(d) They thought the coach was too hard on them.
14. What type of curriculum did the school counselor enroll Curtis in, in Carrying the Load?
(b) College prep.
15. In "A Boy's Big Problem," why does the author say he hated to buy bread or milk at the store?
(a) He says the people at the store treated him rudely.
(b) He had to use food stamps and feared a friend might see him.
(c) His mom never sent him with enough money.
(d) It took away from his study time.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the start of "Goodbye, Daddy," who told the author that his father was moving out of the family home?
2. Where did the author's mother go when she said she was staying with relatives?
3. Who is Curtis?
4. How did the author hurt a classmate who made him mad in "A Terrible Temper"?
5. How old was the author when he was baptized for the second time?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)