|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "A Terrible Temper," what does the author say had become a daily habit?
(a) Playing clarinet.
(b) Punching a pillow.
(c) Reading the Bible.
(d) Working out.
2. At the start of "Goodbye, Daddy," who told the author that his father was moving out of the family home?
(a) His mom.
(b) His brother.
(c) His dad.
(d) His grandmother.
3. What instrument did the author play in ninth grade?
4. What did the author, in "College Choices," score on his final chemistry exam?
5. What did the author's mother buy for him that he rejected, saying they were the "wrong kind"?
(d) Art supplies.
6. What does the author say he would do before he let his classmates know they hurt him?
(c) Stand outside in the cold.
7. What grade did the author receive in math that gave him hope?
8. At times, the author says, his mother's refusal to settle for less came across as _____, _____, even _____ to him.
9. What gift does the author say has been an invaluable asset as a surgeon?
(a) His aptitude for math.
(b) His ability to see in three dimensions.
(c) His physical coordination.
(d) His ability to attract friends.
10. In "A Terrible Temper," the author says once he reached the _____, he lost all _____.
(a) Principal's office/Anger.
(b) Top of the class/Motivation.
(c) Boiling point/Rational control.
(d) Popular kids/Respect.
11. How did the author comfort himself about his capping on other students?
(a) He said he thought his father would approve.
(b) He said that everyone did it, and it was the only way to survive.
(c) He said he would only do it until he got some better clothes.
(d) He said it was not his fault there were ugly people at school.
12. What did the author receive for making the fifth-hour class the best unit in the school?
(a) He received a trophy.
(b) He received a certificate.
(c) He was given permission to leave school early.
(d) He was promoted to second lieutenant.
13. What percent academic scholarship does the author say he received for college?
14. How often did the author wear an ROTC uniform at school?
(a) Three days a week.
(b) Two days a week.
(c) Every day.
(d) Every Friday.
15. In "A Serious Step," who helped the author get a summer job at Sennet Steel?
(a) His mother.
(c) A classmate
(d) A stranger.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Terrible Temper," the author realized that if people could make him _____, they could ______.
2. What other role did the author's father serve in, that he recalls observing only once?
3. Where did the author's family move, after his mother decided to rent their house?
4. In "A Boy's Big Problem," why does the author say he hated to buy bread or milk at the store?
5. What does the author say he examined under the magnified lenses in Mr. Jaeck's class?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)