|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "A Terrible Temper," the author says once he reached the _____, he lost all _____.
(a) Popular kids/Respect.
(b) Principal's office/Anger.
(c) Top of the class/Motivation.
(d) Boiling point/Rational control.
2. What did "The Top One Hundred" program help the author learn?
(a) Leadership skills.
(b) Science facts.
(c) Classical music.
3. In "College Choices," how long did the author spend studying for his exam?
(a) Eight hours.
(b) All night.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Two hours.
4. Why did the author become interested in Johns Hopkins University Hospital at the age of 10?
(a) His mom suggested that he practice medicine there.
(b) That was where he got his tonsils taken out.
(c) `Someone from the hospital visited his school.
(d) Every television or newspaper medical story seemed to feature someone there.
5. Who was Alma Whittley?
(a) A counselor at the author's high school.
(b) The author's cousin.
(c) The author's chemistry professor.
(d) A supervisor at Wayne State University.
6. Who took the author's family in once they arrived in a new city?
(a) His grandparents.
(b) Some friends of the family.
(c) His father.
(d) His aunt and uncle.
7. In "Changing the Rules," what common interest did the author share with attorney Ward Randall, Jr.?
(a) Classical music.
8. What was the author offered, after he had dinner with Congressional Medal winners?
(a) A limo ride with General Westmoreland.
(b) A trip to the White House.
(c) A book about Vietnam.
(d) A scholarship to West Point.
9. What was Candy Rustin's real name in "A Serious Step"?
10. How did the author hurt a classmate who made him mad in "A Terrible Temper"?
(a) He hit him in the forehead with a lock.
(b) He insulted his mother.
(c) He pushed him into a locker
(d) He put him in a head lock.
11. Who introduced the author to Schubert's Eighth Symphony (Unfinished)?
(c) Mrs. Miller.
(d) Sgt. Hunt.
12. Why did the author change schools in the middle of eighth grade?
(a) He moved back to his old house.
(b) He moved back to Boston.
(c) He transferred to a school for gifted children.
(d) He got expelled from his old school.
13. Who does the author say was the "earliest, strongest, and most impacting force" in his life?
(a) His mother.
(b) His father.
(c) His third grade teacher.
(d) His brother.
14. Why did students walk out on the psychology test in "Changing the Rules"?
(a) The test was too hard.
(b) There was a war protest.
(c) There was a fight outside.
(d) The room started to smell like smoke.
15. What type of work did the author's mother find in Boston?
(a) Secretarial work.
(b) Domestic work.
(c) Factory work.
(d) Restaurant work.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the author when he was baptized for the second time?
2. Why was the author surprised when he read the exam problems in the booklet, in "College Choices"?
3. What percent academic scholarship does the author say he received for college?
4. How did the author comfort himself about his capping on other students?
5. What instrument did the author play in ninth grade?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)