|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the mother expect her sons to go each week, instead of watching television?
(a) To do volunteer work at a nursing home.
(b) To church.
(c) To the library.
(d) To an afterschool program.
2. At the start of "Goodbye, Daddy," who told the author that his father was moving out of the family home?
(a) His mom.
(b) His grandmother.
(c) His brother.
(d) His dad.
3. What type of curriculum did the school counselor enroll Curtis in, in Carrying the Load?
(d) College prep.
4. What "wonderful summer job" did the author take after his first year at Yale?
(a) Volunteer at a hospital.
(b) Lab technician at Wayne State University.
(c) Camp counselor.
(d) Supervisor with a highway crew.
5. What does the author say worship services and Bible lessons frequently focused on?
(b) Missionary doctors.
(d) Bad parents.
6. How old was the author when he learned that his father was leaving?
7. What subtle way did the author's mother encourage him in "ROTC Triumph"?
(a) She quoted poems and famous sayings to him.
(b) She read to him from the Bible.
(c) She lectured him.
(d) She left hints around the house about what college she wanted him to attend.
8. Why did the author change schools in the middle of eighth grade?
(a) He moved back to his old house.
(b) He transferred to a school for gifted children.
(c) He moved back to Boston.
(d) He got expelled from his old school.
9. What does the author say he would do before he let his classmates know they hurt him?
(a) Stand outside in the cold.
10. Who introduced the author to Schubert's Eighth Symphony (Unfinished)?
(b) Mrs. Miller.
(c) Sgt. Hunt.
11. In "A Terrible Temper," the author says once he reached the _____, he lost all _____.
(a) Principal's office/Anger.
(b) Popular kids/Respect.
(c) Boiling point/Rational control.
(d) Top of the class/Motivation.
12. How old was the author's mother when she married his father?
13. What does the author say he has in his heart, regardless of the conditions around him?
14. The author's mother told him if he could _____, he could learn just about anything he wanted to know.
(a) Follow directions.
(d) Do math.
15. How did Bobby Farmer impress the author during a history class?
(a) He had memorized all of the United States Presidents.
(b) He knew what flax was.
(c) He knew the dates of every war.
(d) He said he planned to study agriculture in college.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the author, in "College Choices," score on his final chemistry exam?
2. In "A Terrible Temper," the author realized that if people could make him _____, they could ______.
3. Who does the author say was the "earliest, strongest, and most impacting force" in his life?
4. What instrument did the author play in ninth grade?
5. What consequence did the author face if he failed a college class?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)