|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What person does the author say came, when his mother "needed someone to care"?
(a) Bobby Farmer.
(b) His father.
(d) Mary Thomas.
2. Where does the author describe his father working, until his retirement in the 1970s?
(a) Paradise Theater.
(b) A Cadillac plant.
(c) A funeral home.
(d) A mill.
3. What did Candy's family think was strange about her new church in "A Serious Step"?
(a) It embraced classical music.
(b) It met on Saturday.
(c) It forbade the drinking of alcohol.
(d) It offered weekly Bible classes.
4. What did the author receive for making the fifth-hour class the best unit in the school?
(a) He received a trophy.
(b) He was promoted to second lieutenant.
(c) He was given permission to leave school early.
(d) He received a certificate.
5. How often did the author wear an ROTC uniform at school?
(a) Three days a week.
(b) Every day.
(c) Two days a week.
(d) Every Friday.
6. What does the author say he has in his heart, regardless of the conditions around him?
7. In "A Terrible Temper," the author says once he reached the _____, he lost all _____.
(a) Boiling point/Rational control.
(b) Popular kids/Respect.
(c) Principal's office/Anger.
(d) Top of the class/Motivation.
8. Why was the author surprised when he read the exam problems in the booklet, in "College Choices"?
(a) He had no idea how to solve the problems.
(b) They were identical to the ones he saw in a dream.
(c) The booklet included formulas that would help him solve the problems.
(d) He thought the problems were much easier than he expected.
9. What type of curriculum did the school counselor enroll Curtis in, in Carrying the Load?
(c) College prep.
10. Who introduced the author to Schubert's Eighth Symphony (Unfinished)?
(a) Sgt. Hunt.
(b) Mrs. Miller.
11. What holiday does the author recall made being 8-years-old the best year of his childhood?
(b) Valentine's Day.
12. Which of Candy's three college majors does the author say she eventually dropped?
13. What did the author's mother consistently ask him about, no matter how tired she was?
14. What happened halfway through the author's fifth grade year?
(a) He met the President.
(b) He won a science competition.
(c) He got an eye examination at school.
(d) He went to Disneyland.
15. Where did the author turn when he believed he could not pass an exam?
(a) To God.
(b) To his mother.
(c) To the campus tutoring center.
(d) To his academic adviser.
Short Answer Questions
1. What percent academic scholarship does the author say he received for college?
2. Who took the author's family in once they arrived in a new city?
3. What does the author say he liked to do with his father's hands?
4. Why did the author become interested in Johns Hopkins University Hospital at the age of 10?
5. How did Alma Whittley help the author?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)