|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say his mother brought a sense of to the family?
2. The author told his mother that _____ are supposed to _____.
(a) Fathers/Do as they please.
(c) Mothers and fathers/Stay together.
(d) Mothers/Obey their husbands.
3. Who told the author he should "dress the way you want to be"?
(a) His father.
(b) His teacher.
(d) His mother.
4. What did the author begin to do, in tenth grade, instead of coming home after school?
(a) Tutor his friends.
(b) Play basketball.
(c) Shoplift clothes at the local department store.
(d) Work at a gas station.
5. How much education does the author say his mother had when she married?
(a) Third grade.
(b) High school.
(c) Tenth grade.
6. What does the author say in "Two Positives" was the worst part of school?
(a) Weekly spelling bees.
(c) Math quizzes.
(d) Book reports.
7. Why did students walk out on the psychology test in "Changing the Rules"?
(a) The test was too hard.
(b) The room started to smell like smoke.
(c) There was a fight outside.
(d) There was a war protest.
8. At 13, the author changed his goal of becoming a general practitioner to a what?
9. What consequence did the author face if he failed a college class?
(a) He would be sent home.
(b) He would be put on probation.
(c) He could no longer be in the premed program.
(d) He would be fined.
10. Where did the author and his brother stay when his mother went away in Carrying the Load?
(a) With relatives.
(b) Home alone.
(c) With their father.
(d) With neighbors.
11. In "Changing the Rules," what common interest did the author share with attorney Ward Randall, Jr.?
(b) Classical music.
12. Why did the author change schools in the middle of eighth grade?
(a) He got expelled from his old school.
(b) He moved back to his old house.
(c) He moved back to Boston.
(d) He transferred to a school for gifted children.
13. What was Candy Rustin's real name in "A Serious Step"?
14. What happened halfway through the author's fifth grade year?
(a) He met the President.
(b) He won a science competition.
(c) He got an eye examination at school.
(d) He went to Disneyland.
15. In "College Choices," why did the author want to be alone after his "miracle" exam?
(a) To review his study notes.
(b) To pray.
(c) To figure out what happened.
(d) To call his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What college group was Candy involved in that amazed the author?
2. Who introduced the author to Schubert's Eighth Symphony (Unfinished)?
3. Why was the author surprised when he read the exam problems in the booklet, in "College Choices"?
4. What does the author say was an embarrassing and painful experience at Hunter Junior High?
5. Who does the author say was the "earliest, strongest, and most impacting force" in his life?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)