|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16: Little Beth.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the author say he felt the stigma of being poor more acutely?
(a) Because he did not have a father.
(b) Because most of the kids at school were rich.
(c) Because his house was in need of repair.
(d) Because his clothes were dirty.
2. What was Candy Rustin's real name in "A Serious Step"?
3. Who introduced the author to Schubert's Eighth Symphony (Unfinished)?
(b) Sgt. Hunt.
(d) Mrs. Miller.
4. Who, in "ROTC Triumph," influenced the author to join ROTC?
(a) His brother.
(b) His teacher.
(c) Her mother.
(d) His father.
5. Where did the author turn when he believed he could not pass an exam?
(a) To his mother.
(b) To his academic adviser.
(c) To God.
(d) To the campus tutoring center.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before the author left for his interview in Baltimore, he decided that he wanted to be himself and be accepted or rejected by _____ and not _____.
2. What does the author say he examined under the magnified lenses in Mr. Jaeck's class?
3. What did the author begin to do, in tenth grade, instead of coming home after school?
4. Who was Alma Whittley?
5. Where does the author describe his father working, until his retirement in the 1970s?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)