|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14: A Girl Named Maranda.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the author quit his job at Young and Rubicum Advertising?
(a) He did not get along with his co-workers in the mail room.
(b) The commute was too tiresome.
(c) The job did not pay enough.
(d) He lost interest in advertising.
2. What does the author say is the truth he learned much later about his father?
(a) That his father had a history of substance abuse.
(b) That his father had another wife and other children.
(c) That his father did not believe in God.
(d) That his father was abused as a child.
3. What did the author begin to do, in tenth grade, instead of coming home after school?
(a) Shoplift clothes at the local department store.
(b) Work at a gas station.
(c) Play basketball.
(d) Tutor his friends.
4. What does the author say interns called their white uniforms in "Coming Into My Own"?
(a) Monkey suits.
(b) Doctor threads.
(c) Super whites.
(d) Money gear.
5. Why did the author withdraw his applications to medical school programs at Johns Hopkins, Yale, Michigan State, and Wayne State?
(a) He received a fellowship to study abroad.
(b) He decided to take a year off to get married.
(c) He realized he applied to too many programs.
(d) He was accepted to the University of Michigan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author's mother call him in "Goodbye Daddy"?
2. In "ROTC Triumph," why does the author say he looked forward to Sunday nights?
3. In "A Terrible Temper," the author says once he reached the _____, he lost all _____.
4. What hymn does the author say dissolves his negativity?
5. What unusual solution did one doctor suggest Maranda try twice a day for her seizures?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)