|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5: A Big Boy's Problem.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the author begin to do, in tenth grade, instead of coming home after school?
(a) Work at a gas station.
(b) Shoplift clothes at the local department store.
(c) Tutor his friends.
(d) Play basketball.
2. What does the author say in "Two Positives" was the worst part of school?
(a) Math quizzes.
(b) Weekly spelling bees.
(d) Book reports.
3. What other role did the author's father serve in, that he recalls observing only once?
(a) His father volunteered as a crossing guard.
(b) His father was a Baptist minister.
(c) His father played trumpet in a jazz band.
(d) His father was a member of the school board.
4. What type of curriculum did the school counselor enroll Curtis in, in Carrying the Load?
(c) College prep.
5. The author told his mother that _____ are supposed to _____.
(a) Fathers/Do as they please.
(b) Mothers and fathers/Stay together.
(d) Mothers/Obey their husbands.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say was an embarrassing and painful experience at Hunter Junior High?
2. What does the author say worship services and Bible lessons frequently focused on?
3. The author's mother told him if he could _____, he could learn just about anything he wanted to know.
4. What does the author say is the truth he learned much later about his father?
5. Why does the author say he felt the stigma of being poor more acutely?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)