|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5: A Big Boy's Problem.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "A Boy's Big Problem," why does the author say he hated to buy bread or milk at the store?
(a) He had to use food stamps and feared a friend might see him.
(b) His mom never sent him with enough money.
(c) It took away from his study time.
(d) He says the people at the store treated him rudely.
2. Why does the author say he felt the stigma of being poor more acutely?
(a) Because most of the kids at school were rich.
(b) Because he did not have a father.
(c) Because his house was in need of repair.
(d) Because his clothes were dirty.
3. How does the author say Curtis' grades changed in the last year?
(a) They changed very little.
(b) They were mostly failing grades.
(c) They had been climbing.
(d) They had gone from good to great.
4. How did the author comfort himself about his capping on other students?
(a) He said that everyone did it, and it was the only way to survive.
(b) He said it was not his fault there were ugly people at school.
(c) He said he thought his father would approve.
(d) He said he would only do it until he got some better clothes.
5. Why did the author change schools in the middle of eighth grade?
(a) He moved back to his old house.
(b) He moved back to Boston.
(c) He transferred to a school for gifted children.
(d) He got expelled from his old school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the author begin to do, in tenth grade, instead of coming home after school?
2. How much education does the author say his mother had when she married?
3. Who told the author he should "dress the way you want to be"?
4. What does the author say his mother brought a sense of to the family?
5. How old was the author when he learned that his father was leaving?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)