|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3: Eight Years Old.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who told the author he should "dress the way you want to be"?
(a) His mother.
(b) His teacher.
(c) His father.
2. What score did the author receive on a math quiz that humiliated him?
(a) 15 out of 30.
(b) 0 out of 30.
(c) 28 out of 30.
(d) 9 out of 30.
3. What impression did the author have that his grades reinforced?
(a) That his teacher did not like him.
(b) That the schools in Detroit were not as good as the ones in Boston.
(c) That Black kids are not as smart as White kids.
(d) That he was meant to be at a private school.
4. Where did the author's mother go when she said she was staying with relatives?
(a) To visit her ex-husband.
(b) To gamble.
(c) To pursue a singing career.
(d) A mental institution.
5. At the start of "Goodbye, Daddy," who told the author that his father was moving out of the family home?
(a) His grandmother.
(b) His brother.
(c) His dad.
(d) His mom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mother tell the author his father had done?
2. Where does the author describe his father working, until his retirement in the 1970s?
3. At times, the author says, his mother's refusal to settle for less came across as _____, _____, even _____ to him.
4. The author told his mother that _____ are supposed to _____.
5. How much education does the author say his mother had when she married?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)