|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3: Eight Years Old.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the author and his brother stay when his mother went away in Carrying the Load?
(a) With relatives.
(b) With their father.
(c) With neighbors.
(d) Home alone.
2. What impression did the author have that his grades reinforced?
(a) That Black kids are not as smart as White kids.
(b) That the schools in Detroit were not as good as the ones in Boston.
(c) That he was meant to be at a private school.
(d) That his teacher did not like him.
3. The author told his mother that _____ are supposed to _____.
(a) Fathers/Do as they please.
(c) Mothers/Obey their husbands.
(d) Mothers and fathers/Stay together.
4. What was the author's mother determined to accomplish in Detroit?
(a) To reclaim the house the family once lived in.
(b) To get back together with her ex-husband.
(c) To enroll her sons in private school.
(d) To go to night school.
5. What year does the author say he no longer waited for his father to come home from work?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say he liked to do with his father's hands?
2. Where does the author describe his father working, until his retirement in the 1970s?
3. Who does the author say was the "earliest, strongest, and most impacting force" in his life?
4. In "Eight Years Old," what made the author feel worse than being at the bottom of his class at Higgins Elementary School?
5. How does the author say Curtis' grades changed in the last year?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)