|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3: Eight Years Old.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of curriculum did the school counselor enroll Curtis in, in Carrying the Load?
(a) College prep.
2. Who does the author say was the "earliest, strongest, and most impacting force" in his life?
(a) His third grade teacher.
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) His brother.
3. What does the author say he liked to do with his father's hands?
(a) Play with the veins.
(b) Read his palm.
(c) Draw pictures on them.
(d) Smack them.
4. What did the author's mother consistently ask him about, no matter how tired she was?
5. In "Eight Years Old," what made the author feel worse than being at the bottom of his class at Higgins Elementary School?
(a) The principal who wrongfully accused him of cheating.
(b) The teacher who belittled him.
(c) The teasing and taunting from other kids.
(d) The judgment from his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the author describe his father working, until his retirement in the 1970s?
2. How old was the author when he learned that his father was leaving?
3. Who took the author's family in once they arrived in a new city?
4. What impression did the author have that his grades reinforced?
5. At times, the author says, his mother's refusal to settle for less came across as _____, _____, even _____ to him.
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)