|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3: Eight Years Old.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What impression did the author have that his grades reinforced?
(a) That Black kids are not as smart as White kids.
(b) That his teacher did not like him.
(c) That the schools in Detroit were not as good as the ones in Boston.
(d) That he was meant to be at a private school.
2. What year does the author say he no longer waited for his father to come home from work?
3. Who told the author he should "dress the way you want to be"?
(a) His teacher.
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
4. What does the author's mother call him in "Goodbye Daddy"?
5. What does the author say was his one complaint about his mother?
(a) That she never remarried.
(b) That she had low self-esteem.
(c) That she hid how bad things were during his childhood.
(d) That she let his father go.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the author's mother go when she said she was staying with relatives?
2. What does the author say he liked to do with his father's hands?
3. In "Eight Years Old," what made the author feel worse than being at the bottom of his class at Higgins Elementary School?
4. What does Mother tell the author his father had done?
5. Where does the author describe his father working, until his retirement in the 1970s?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)