|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17: Three Special Children.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What homework assignment did the author give Luis and Terry Francisco before Maranda's surgery?
(a) Buy Maranda a toy from the gift shop.
(b) Sign up for family counseling.
(c) Say their prayers.
(d) Watch some movies to distract them from worry.
2. Why does the author say he felt the stigma of being poor more acutely?
(a) Because he did not have a father.
(b) Because his house was in need of repair.
(c) Because his clothes were dirty.
(d) Because most of the kids at school were rich.
3. What marveled the author about Danielle's parents, in "Three Special Children," when she died?
(a) The amount of support they received from family and friends.
(b) Their detachment.
(c) Their anger.
(d) Their maturity.
4. What significant sign of recovery did Maranda show after her hemispherectomy?
(a) She slept.
(b) She talked.
(c) She sat up on the gurney.
(d) She had little swelling.
5. In "A Boy's Big Problem," why does the author say he hated to buy bread or milk at the store?
(a) He says the people at the store treated him rudely.
(b) It took away from his study time.
(c) His mom never sent him with enough money.
(d) He had to use food stamps and feared a friend might see him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the author begin to do, in tenth grade, instead of coming home after school?
2. What "wonderful summer job" did the author take after his first year at Yale?
3. What did Aubrey Tompkins suggest when Candy's audition at the church did not work out?
4. Why did the author nearly kill his friend, Bob, with a knife?
5. How did patient Danielle's mother first learn about the author, in "Three Special Children"?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)