|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12: Coming Into My Own.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What impression did the author have that his grades reinforced?
(a) That Black kids are not as smart as White kids.
(b) That his teacher did not like him.
(c) That the schools in Detroit were not as good as the ones in Boston.
(d) That he was meant to be at a private school.
2. What subtle way did the author's mother encourage him in "ROTC Triumph"?
(a) She quoted poems and famous sayings to him.
(b) She lectured him.
(c) She left hints around the house about what college she wanted him to attend.
(d) She read to him from the Bible.
3. Who was Alma Whittley?
(a) The author's chemistry professor.
(b) A supervisor at Wayne State University.
(c) A counselor at the author's high school.
(d) The author's cousin.
4. In "A Boy's Big Problem," what does the author say his mother needed in order to provide for the family and keep up the house?
(a) A therapist.
(b) A husband.
(c) Food stamps.
(d) A second job.
5. What did the author believe would happen if he did not give an injured patient a lobectomy?
(a) The patient would die.
(b) He would disappoint his mentor.
(c) The patient would experience brain damage.
(d) He would lose his job.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object of the author's did a ninth grader in "A Boy's Big Problem" say had been through four world wars?
2. What type of animal did the author decide to focus his brain research on, in "Coming Into My Own"?
3. How often did the author wear an ROTC uniform at school?
4. What type of work did the author's mother find in Boston?
5. What did the author consider his biggest problem in tenth grade?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)