|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12: Coming Into My Own.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "ROTC Triumph," why does the author say he looked forward to Sunday nights?
(a) To study for the SAT.
(b) To visit the Detroit Institute of Arts.
(c) To put in long hours at the science lab.
(d) To watch a quiz show on television.
2. When does the author say he worked at Wayne State University in one of the biology laboratories?
(a) During spring break of his sophomore year at Yale.
(b) The summer between his junior and senior year of high school.
(c) The year after he graduated from college.
(d) The summer after his freshman year at Yale.
3. What score did the author receive on a math quiz that humiliated him?
(a) 0 out of 30.
(b) 28 out of 30.
(c) 9 out of 30.
(d) 15 out of 30.
4. What did the author begin to do, in tenth grade, instead of coming home after school?
(a) Shoplift clothes at the local department store.
(b) Work at a gas station.
(c) Tutor his friends.
(d) Play basketball.
5. How did Alma Whittley help the author?
(a) She gave him information about the biology program at Wayne State University.
(b) She helped him get a job at Ford Motor Company.
(c) She helped him write an essay for his college application.
(d) She gave him a crash course in study skills.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the author change schools in the middle of eighth grade?
2. Who did the author initially turn to for work, when he could not find a job in the summer of 1971?
3. In "Changing the Rules," what common interest did the author share with attorney Ward Randall, Jr.?
4. What frightened the author at the start of "Eight Years Old" that he says are bigger than cats?
5. Who, in "ROTC Triumph," influenced the author to join ROTC?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)