|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15: Heartbreak.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the author say he felt the stigma of being poor more acutely?
(a) Because most of the kids at school were rich.
(b) Because his clothes were dirty.
(c) Because he did not have a father.
(d) Because his house was in need of repair.
2. How did the author comfort himself about his capping on other students?
(a) He said it was not his fault there were ugly people at school.
(b) He said he thought his father would approve.
(c) He said he would only do it until he got some better clothes.
(d) He said that everyone did it, and it was the only way to survive.
3. What did the author begin to do, in tenth grade, instead of coming home after school?
(a) Shoplift clothes at the local department store.
(b) Work at a gas station.
(c) Tutor his friends.
(d) Play basketball.
4. Which of Candy's three college majors does the author say she eventually dropped?
5. What does the author say happened every time an instrument touched Maranda during her surgery?
(a) Her blood pressure dropped.
(b) Her toes moved.
(c) Her fingers moved.
(d) She started to bleed.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Serious Step," what happened to cause the author's car to spin out of control near Youngstown, Ohio?
2. In "A Boy's Big Problem," what does the author say his mother needed in order to provide for the family and keep up the house?
3. What job did the author recommend Candy try out for at his church in "A Serious Step"?
4. What gift does the author say has been an invaluable asset as a surgeon?
5. What does the author say he felt "constant temptation" to do at his new school?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)