|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15: Heartbreak.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year of college was the author in when he met Candy?
2. Which of Candy's three college majors does the author say she eventually dropped?
3. Why did the author withdraw his applications to medical school programs at Johns Hopkins, Yale, Michigan State, and Wayne State?
(a) He realized he applied to too many programs.
(b) He decided to take a year off to get married.
(c) He received a fellowship to study abroad.
(d) He was accepted to the University of Michigan.
4. How did the author comfort himself about his capping on other students?
(a) He said that everyone did it, and it was the only way to survive.
(b) He said he thought his father would approve.
(c) He said he would only do it until he got some better clothes.
(d) He said it was not his fault there were ugly people at school.
5. What gift does the author say has been an invaluable asset as a surgeon?
(a) His aptitude for math.
(b) His physical coordination.
(c) His ability to see in three dimensions.
(d) His ability to attract friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say happened every time an instrument touched Maranda during her surgery?
2. What did Aubrey Tompkins suggest when Candy's audition at the church did not work out?
3. What did the Yale admissions office pay for the author and Candy to do before Thanksgiving 1972?
4. What object of the author's did a ninth grader in "A Boy's Big Problem" say had been through four world wars?
5. Why does the author say he felt the stigma of being poor more acutely?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)