Chapter 1: Goodbye, Daddy
• The author, Ben Carson, was a young boy when his mother told him that his father was leaving and would not be back.
• He loved his father and was very upset.
• The author recalled how much fun his father was, how he would count the minutes until his father came home at night.
• Only later in life did the author and his brother Curtis find out that his father had another "wife" and other children.
• In later years, the author's mother referred to his father having been involved with other women and drugs.
• Although at first the author prayed that his parents got back together, ultimately he realized that he and his mother and brother were happier without him.
Chapter 2: Carrying the Load
• The author's mother did not have much formal education.
• Due to Curtis' history of low grades, the school counselor placed...
This section contains 2,445 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)