|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does age bring with it, according to the author?
2. What will she use to remind her of the island at home?
3. What about space around an object changes it?
4. How are some of the ways couples forge ahead in the world, according to the author?
5. How are most actions taken for helping people in modern life?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anne feel about the years to come in her life?
2. What is the Argonauta and how does it use its shell?
3. How does Anne relate the Argonauta shell to her life?
4. What are some of the ideas the author expresses about the kinds of love and bonds formed in marriage?
5. What does the author say about most people wanting duration in life and marriage?
6. What does Anne see as the difference in caring between the modern world and when life was less technical?
7. Anne talks about the different needs for aging adults. What are some of the ideas she expresses?
8. How does Anne feel about people who are solely concerned about the problems of the whole?
9. How does Anne see the benefit of meeting people on an island as opposed to in a city?
10. How does Anne feel as she leaves the island and what does she think about her time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author has decided that the only way to deal with the whole is to deal with the individual. What does she mean by this? Can you think of an example in your life that demonstrates this idea?
Essay Topic 2
Anne says a woman must find her own identity. What do you think she means? Do you think this could apply to a man also? Why or why not? How do you explore your identity?
Essay Topic 3
Solitude is another topic the author explores. Do you have solitude in your life? When? Where? What do you do with the solitude? Do you actively seek solitude? If so, why? If not, why?
This section contains 1,326 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)