|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say acceptance of pain as growth potential do?
2. The metaphor of dance exquisitely describes the method in which one may approach what?
3. What type of people does the author believe one would be unlikely to be friends with in a city?
4. How are most actions taken for helping people in modern life?
5. How much does Anne believe her thoughts at the beach will change her life at home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anne say is the key to dealing with the whole and moving forward?
2. How does Anne see the oyster shell in relationship to marriage?
3. What does Anne say about returning to the beginnings of a relationship?
4. What does Anne think middle age might bring to her relationships?
5. What does Anne say women must discover for themselves and how?
6. How does Anne feel about people who are solely concerned about the problems of the whole?
7. What is the Argonauta and how does it use its shell?
8. How does the author use the metaphor of dance in writing about her sister's visit?
9. How has the world changed since modern communication?
10. Anne talks about the different needs for aging adults. What are some of the ideas she expresses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author has decided that the only way to deal with the whole is to deal with the individual. What does she mean by this? Can you think of an example in your life that demonstrates this idea?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think are the differences in the way people interact socially with each other between a rural setting and an urban setting? Which would you prefer? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The author deeply desires to maintain her role as wife, mother, artist and public figure, such a lifestyle begins to become all pervasive and takes a toll on the author's spirit. What do you think is meant by this statement. Use text from the book and ideas from your own life to illustrate your points.
This section contains 1,296 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)