|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the author believe it will be difficult to remember her thoughts from the beach?
2. Why does the author think at this stage of life a large house is not necessary?
3. The author suggests that compassion may not be possible in the modern world for who?
4. What does Anne believe concentrating on the world's problems might do to someone?
5. What do the Anne and her visitor do in the evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anne see the benefit of meeting people on an island as opposed to in a city?
2. How does Anne feel about people who are solely concerned about the problems of the whole?
3. Describe some of the information the author gives about the oyster shell.
4. How does Anne feel as she leaves the island and what does she think about her time?
5. How does the author use the metaphor of dance in writing about her sister's visit?
6. How does Anne relate the Argonauta shell to her life?
7. Anne talks about the different needs for aging adults. What are some of the ideas she expresses?
8. Does the author believe she will be able to practice at home what she learned on the island? Why or why not?
9. How does being at home change the author's interaction with people?
10. How does the author see the beginning of a marriage for most people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author states that her life has been shaped by the people who have been in it. What does she mean by this statement? Do you think she is right? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The author said, "I feel we are islands in a common sea." What do you think she means by this statement? How might this statement apply to your life?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think are the differences in the way people interact socially with each other between a rural setting and an urban setting? Which would you prefer? Why?
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)