|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the two function in the small cottage?
2. What is there little time at home to do, according to the author?
3. What does age bring with it, according to the author?
4. What does the Argonauta represent to Anne?
5. In the beginning of a marriage the author says there's little time to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anne see the benefit of meeting people on an island as opposed to in a city?
2. Describe a day at the beach with Anne after her sister arrives.
3. What does Anne think about objects being crowded?
4. What does Anne say women must discover for themselves and how?
5. What has the beach taught the author?
6. What are some of the ideas the author expresses about the kinds of love and bonds formed in marriage?
7. How does being at home change the author's interaction with people?
8. What does Anne say about returning to the beginnings of a relationship?
9. How has the world changed since modern communication?
10. How does Anne feel about the years to come in her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author says her main goal at the sea is to obtain peace. What would be your goal if you took a similar vacation? How would you obtain that goal? Is there some place you would choose besides the sea to find peace? Where? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What does the author mean by a "one-and-only" moment? What was a moment like that which you have experienced in your life?
Essay Topic 3
The author explores many metaphors centering on the beach, the sea and the "gifts" from the sea. Write about two of these metaphors and your understanding of what she is saying.
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)