|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The world is so large and devoid of individuality that the author worries about what?
2. How are the bonds of marriage formed?
3. How is the shell of the Argonauta used by them?
4. What does Anne say about a perfect day?
5. Between what two poles have women swung, in the past?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of the information the author gives about the oyster shell.
2. What is the Argonauta and how does it use its shell?
3. What does Anne see as the difference in caring between the modern world and when life was less technical?
4. How has the world changed since modern communication?
5. What does Anne think middle age might bring to her relationships?
6. Does the author believe she will be able to practice at home what she learned on the island? Why or why not?
7. How does Anne feel about people who are solely concerned about the problems of the whole?
8. Describe a day at the beach with Anne after her sister arrives.
9. What questions about her life and conclusions does Anne have as she thinks about the Argonauta ?
10. How does the author see the beginning of a marriage for most people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think are the differences in the way people interact socially with each other between a rural setting and an urban setting? Which would you prefer? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Anne talks extensively about simplicity in life. What does simplicity mean to you? Do you see any way in which your life would be easier if it was more simple? How?
Essay Topic 3
Anne says a woman must find her own identity. What do you think she means? Do you think this could apply to a man also? Why or why not? How do you explore your identity?
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)