|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The metaphor of dance exquisitely describes the method in which one may approach what?
2. What does the author say the perfect day with her visitor represents?
3. What stage of life does the author say the oyster shell best represents?
4. The world is so large and devoid of individuality that the author worries about what?
5. Why must a new community be created in a middle aged relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anne feel about the years to come in her life?
2. How does Anne feel as she leaves the island and what does she think about her time?
3. How does the author relate decorating with a few objects to people in crowds?
4. How does Anne feel about people who are solely concerned about the problems of the whole?
5. What does Anne see as the difference in caring between the modern world and when life was less technical?
6. Does the author believe she will be able to practice at home what she learned on the island? Why or why not?
7. What does Anne think middle age might bring to her relationships?
8. Describe a day at the beach with Anne after her sister arrives.
9. What does Anne think about objects being crowded?
10. How does the author see the beginning of a marriage for most people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some people cover up their own problems by worrying about the whole world. What does this statement mean? Do you know someone who does this or do you do it? Why do you think it would be easier to worry about the world than what's happening in your own life?
Essay Topic 2
During a description of a "dance" the author wrote about her sister's visit she suggests living in the present is best. What does she mean by living in the present? How difficult it is for you to live in the present? Use an example from your life to illustrate living in the present.
Essay Topic 3
What do you think are the differences in the way people interact socially with each other between a rural setting and an urban setting? Which would you prefer? Why?
This section contains 1,307 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)