|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Anne believe her thoughts at the beach will change her life at home?
2. What are two ways bonds in marriage are formed?
3. How are the bonds of marriage formed?
4. What does the mother Argonauta do with her shell after the babies hatch?
5. Why does the author think at this stage of life a large house is not necessary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What questions about her life and conclusions does Anne have as she thinks about the Argonauta ?
2. How does Anne see the difference between everyday task at home and on the island?
3. What does Anne suggest each person must do as far as themselves is concerned and what effect would that have on a person's life?
4. What does Anne see as the difference in caring between the modern world and when life was less technical?
5. What has the beach taught the author?
6. How does being at home change the author's interaction with people?
7. What is the Argonauta and how does it use its shell?
8. What does Anne say about returning to the beginnings of a relationship?
9. How does Anne feel about the years to come in her life?
10. How does the author relate decorating with a few objects to people in crowds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author says her main goal at the sea is to obtain peace. What would be your goal if you took a similar vacation? How would you obtain that goal? Is there some place you would choose besides the sea to find peace? Where? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Anne talks extensively about simplicity in life. What does simplicity mean to you? Do you see any way in which your life would be easier if it was more simple? How?
Essay Topic 3
The author explores many metaphors centering on the beach, the sea and the "gifts" from the sea. Write about two of these metaphors and your understanding of what she is saying.
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)