|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does one go wrong in desiring love, according to the author?
2. How do people smile at the beach?
3. What happens to the pencils she carries?
4. How do the author feel about clearing her mind and focusing solely on the sea?
5. What does the author say everyone wants out of love?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are obstacles to simplicity in Anne's life?
2. How does the author find life at the ocean?
3. How does the author feel about the concept of being the "one and only" in a person's life?
4. What is the solution to problems in a relationship that the author says many people try? How effective is that solution?
5. How does the author suggest one might rejuvenate a relationship?
6. How is the mindset of the second week similar or different from her mindset in the city?
7. How does the author suggest women should obtain solitude?
8. How does the author feel about the ocean and what happens to her when near it?
9. What does the author believe people are designed to seek? How do people avoid loneliness?
10. How does this book open and why is the author at the location in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author said, "I feel we are islands in a common sea." What do you think she means by this statement? How might this statement apply to your life?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think the author has a difficult time sticking to her intentions of what she plans to do at the beach? Use illustrations from the book and your life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author writes that clearing her mind and experiencing the sea without other thoughts pressing in is very difficult to do. Why do you think people have a hard time quieting their minds? Do you ever sit down and try to think of nothing? If you have, did you find it hard and why? If not, what do you think you might get out of trying?
This section contains 1,209 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)