|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Anne decorate her beach cottage?
2. Who does Anne use as an example of the simple life?
3. What is a moon shell?
4. According to the author, what happens to the original essence of a relationship?
5. When does one go wrong in desiring love, according to the author?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might Anne want to be alone at the beach?
2. What kind of examples does Anne use to illustrate simplicity in life?
3. What are the author's intentions for her time at the beach and is she successful?
4. How does one get gifts from the sea and what are the gifts?
5. What are obstacles to simplicity in Anne's life?
6. Describe the moon shell.
7. What does the author say is the answer to the dilemma on how to remain intact and balanced against the forces of nature and shocking events in the periphery
8. What does Anne find on one of her first walks on the beach and what does she wonder about it?
9. What is the solution to problems in a relationship that the author says many people try? How effective is that solution?
10. What is Anne's main goal and what would the fulfillment of this goal mean to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anne Lindbergh wishes to be alone at the beach. She offers many reasons for this desire. What are her reasons and do you agree with them? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Solitude is another topic the author explores. Do you have solitude in your life? When? Where? What do you do with the solitude? Do you actively seek solitude? If so, why? If not, why?
Essay Topic 3
Anne says that the small communities of the nineteenth century has given way to the larger world communities. How has the technology developed since Lindbergh wrote this book made this an even more true statement? Use examples from the 1950s and now to illustrate your answer.
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)