|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is a pure relationship not to be desired?
2. How does the author think one's true identity is found?
3. What is Anne afraid of when she is alone and feeling peaceful?
4. What does Anne believe is possible at the beach as far as shelter is concerned?
5. At the beach, what is the first step to achieving simplicity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are obstacles to simplicity in Anne's life?
2. How is the mindset of the second week similar or different from her mindset in the city?
3. What does the author believe people are designed to seek? How do people avoid loneliness?
4. What does Anne find on one of her first walks on the beach and what does she wonder about it?
5. Why would a person avoid being alone?
6. What is the solution to problems in a relationship that the author says many people try? How effective is that solution?
7. What does the author say the beach does for relationships among people?
8. How does the author suggest women should obtain solitude?
9. Describe a double-sunrise shell?
10. What does the author say is the answer to the dilemma on how to remain intact and balanced against the forces of nature and shocking events in the periphery
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author deeply desires to maintain her role as wife, mother, artist and public figure, such a lifestyle begins to become all pervasive and takes a toll on the author's spirit. What do you think is meant by this statement. Use text from the book and ideas from your own life to illustrate your points.
Essay Topic 2
What does the author mean by a "one-and-only" moment? What was a moment like that which you have experienced in your life?
Essay Topic 3
The author states that her life has been shaped by the people who have been in it. What does she mean by this statement? Do you think she is right? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)