|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Anne experience after the good-bye?
2. What will the moon shell placed on her desk in Connecticut do for the author?
3. What does the author forget when she's in the city?
4. What does the author suggest people living in society are like?
5. What does she do with the books she has stashed in the bag?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author suggest women should obtain solitude?
2. What are the author's intentions for her time at the beach and is she successful?
3. How does the author see the difference between a man and a woman in marriage?
4. What is Anne's main goal and what would the fulfillment of this goal mean to her?
5. Why do some people try to stay in the first stage of a relationship?
6. How does this book open and why is the author at the location in the book?
7. Why might Anne want to be alone at the beach?
8. How does the channeled whelk shell appear to Anne?
9. Describe the author's understanding of the first stage of a relationship.
10. How does the author feel about the concept of being the "one and only" in a person's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author explores many metaphors centering on the beach, the sea and the "gifts" from the sea. Write about two of these metaphors and your understanding of what she is saying.
Essay Topic 2
The author has decided that the only way to deal with the whole is to deal with the individual. What does she mean by this? Can you think of an example in your life that demonstrates this idea?
Essay Topic 3
What does the author mean by a "one-and-only" moment? What was a moment like that which you have experienced in your life?
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)