|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anne believe is possible at the beach as far as shelter is concerned?
2. When does one go wrong in desiring love, according to the author?
3. What does living life an on island do for the author's thoughts?
4. What does the author suggest people living in society are like?
5. What is Anne's main goal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the mindset of the second week similar or different from her mindset in the city?
2. How does this book open and why is the author at the location in the book?
3. The author suggests being alone might be good for a person. Why does she say this?
4. How does one get gifts from the sea and what are the gifts?
5. Why would a person avoid being alone?
6. How does the author feel about the ocean and what happens to her when near it?
7. What is Anne's main goal and what would the fulfillment of this goal mean to her?
8. What are the author's intentions for her time at the beach and is she successful?
9. What kind of examples does Anne use to illustrate simplicity in life?
10. What does the author say the beach does for relationships among people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author suggests one cannot find love in someone else without first finding it for oneself. What does she mean? How would this apply to your life?
Essay Topic 2
The author explores many metaphors centering on the beach, the sea and the "gifts" from the sea. Write about two of these metaphors and your understanding of what she is saying.
Essay Topic 3
What does the author mean by a "one-and-only" moment? What was a moment like that which you have experienced in your life?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)