|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author suggest for good parenting?
2. How does Anne feel about her roles in life?
3. According to the author, what is seen as failure in a relationship?
4. What kind of container does she carry to the beach everyday?
5. What does the author suggest people living in society are like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anne find on one of her first walks on the beach and what does she wonder about it?
2. What is Anne's main goal and what would the fulfillment of this goal mean to her?
3. What is the solution to problems in a relationship that the author says many people try? How effective is that solution?
4. Describe the moon shell.
5. What does the author say the beach does for relationships among people?
6. What is the effect of solitude on people and on the author? What does the author feel when alone?
7. Describe the author's understanding of the first stage of a relationship.
8. How does the author feel about the ocean and what happens to her when near it?
9. What does the author explore in her life and the sea? How does she relate this to the channeled whelk?
10. The author suggests being alone might be good for a person. Why does she say this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think are the differences in the way people interact socially with each other between a rural setting and an urban setting? Which would you prefer? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Anne says a woman must find her own identity. What do you think she means? Do you think this could apply to a man also? Why or why not? How do you explore your identity?
Essay Topic 3
The author said, "I feel we are islands in a common sea." What do you think she means by this statement? How might this statement apply to your life?
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)