|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a double-sunrise shell?
2. What kind of experience does the author say being alone was for her?
3. How long does it take Anne to slip into a state of ease?
4. What is a moon shell?
5. What part of a relationship is pure, according to the author?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would a person avoid being alone?
2. The author suggests being alone might be good for a person. Why does she say this?
3. How does the author suggest women should obtain solitude?
4. How does the author feel about the ocean and what happens to her when near it?
5. What does the author explore in her life and the sea? How does she relate this to the channeled whelk?
6. How does one get gifts from the sea and what are the gifts?
7. Describe a double-sunrise shell?
8. What are obstacles to simplicity in Anne's life?
9. What does the author believe people are designed to seek? How do people avoid loneliness?
10. What kind of examples does Anne use to illustrate simplicity in life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the author mean by a "one-and-only" moment? What was a moment like that which you have experienced in your life?
Essay Topic 2
The author suggests one cannot find love in someone else without first finding it for oneself. What does she mean? How would this apply to your life?
Essay Topic 3
During a description of a "dance" the author wrote about her sister's visit she suggests living in the present is best. What does she mean by living in the present? How difficult it is for you to live in the present? Use an example from your life to illustrate living in the present.
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)