|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author compares to the channeled whelk to what of hers?
2. What does she do with the books she has stashed in the bag?
3. How long does it take Anne to slip into a state of ease?
4. What pains and amuses the author about married women and the church?
5. What does the author seek to do at the sea?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the author's intentions for her time at the beach and is she successful?
2. What is the effect of solitude on people and on the author? What does the author feel when alone?
3. How does the channeled whelk shell appear to Anne?
4. How does the author feel about the ocean and what happens to her when near it?
5. Why would a person avoid being alone?
6. What does the author believe people are designed to seek? How do people avoid loneliness?
7. How does one get gifts from the sea and what are the gifts?
8. How does this book open and why is the author at the location in the book?
9. What happens to Anne's mind the second week at the beach?
10. How does the author see people, since being at the beach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anne talks extensively about simplicity in life. What does simplicity mean to you? Do you see any way in which your life would be easier if it was more simple? How?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think the author has a difficult time sticking to her intentions of what she plans to do at the beach? Use illustrations from the book and your life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author has decided that the only way to deal with the whole is to deal with the individual. What does she mean by this? Can you think of an example in your life that demonstrates this idea?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)