|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What could happen without inner strength and spiritual solidity?
2. How does the author think one's true identity is found?
3. What about the author's life makes it more difficult to achieve simplicity?
4. How does the author see the architecture of the channeled whelk?
5. What does the author believe most people need?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe a double-sunrise shell?
2. What are the author's intentions for her time at the beach and is she successful?
3. Describe the author's understanding of the first stage of a relationship.
4. How does the channeled whelk shell appear to Anne?
5. What does Anne find on one of her first walks on the beach and what does she wonder about it?
6. What is the solution to problems in a relationship that the author says many people try? How effective is that solution?
7. What does the author say is the answer to the dilemma on how to remain intact and balanced against the forces of nature and shocking events in the periphery
8. The author suggests being alone might be good for a person. Why does she say this?
9. How does one get gifts from the sea and what are the gifts?
10. How does the author find life at the ocean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author suggests one cannot find love in someone else without first finding it for oneself. What does she mean? How would this apply to your life?
Essay Topic 2
The author deeply desires to maintain her role as wife, mother, artist and public figure, such a lifestyle begins to become all pervasive and takes a toll on the author's spirit. What do you think is meant by this statement. Use text from the book and ideas from your own life to illustrate your points.
Essay Topic 3
What does the author mean by a "one-and-only" moment? What was a moment like that which you have experienced in your life?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)