|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why might women feel resentful about giving?
2. What does Anne believe is possible at the beach as far as shelter is concerned?
3. What does the author say must be balanced in a woman's life?
4. What should women do with some of the time freed up in modern times?
5. Who does Anne use as an example of the simple life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the author's understanding of the first stage of a relationship.
2. What does Anne find on one of her first walks on the beach and what does she wonder about it?
3. How does the channeled whelk shell appear to Anne?
4. What is the effect of solitude on people and on the author? What does the author feel when alone?
5. Describe the moon shell.
6. What happens to Anne's mind the second week at the beach?
7. Describe a double-sunrise shell?
8. How does the author see the difference between a man and a woman in marriage?
9. How is the mindset of the second week similar or different from her mindset in the city?
10. Why do some people try to stay in the first stage of a relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anne talks about the various stages she sees in marriage. What are these stages and is it possible they apply to any relationship? Why are why not?
Essay Topic 2
During a description of a "dance" the author wrote about her sister's visit she suggests living in the present is best. What does she mean by living in the present? How difficult it is for you to live in the present? Use an example from your life to illustrate living in the present.
Essay Topic 3
Anne says that the small communities of the nineteenth century has given way to the larger world communities. How has the technology developed since Lindbergh wrote this book made this an even more true statement? Use examples from the 1950s and now to illustrate your answer.
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)