|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where does the author realize her answers must come?
2. What does she do with the books she has stashed in the bag?
3. How does the author view being alone for two weeks?
4. What kind of experience does the author say being alone was for her?
5. What does Anne become one with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are obstacles to simplicity in Anne's life?
2. What are the author's intentions for her time at the beach and is she successful?
3. Describe the author's understanding of the first stage of a relationship.
4. Why might Anne want to be alone at the beach?
5. How does one get gifts from the sea and what are the gifts?
6. Why would a person avoid being alone?
7. What is Anne's main goal and what would the fulfillment of this goal mean to her?
8. What happens to Anne's mind the second week at the beach?
9. What does the author explore in her life and the sea? How does she relate this to the channeled whelk?
10. How does this book open and why is the author at the location in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author says her main goal at the sea is to obtain peace. What would be your goal if you took a similar vacation? How would you obtain that goal? Is there some place you would choose besides the sea to find peace? Where? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Anne talks about the various stages she sees in marriage. What are these stages and is it possible they apply to any relationship? Why are why not?
Essay Topic 3
Anne says a woman must find her own identity. What do you think she means? Do you think this could apply to a man also? Why or why not? How do you explore your identity?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)