|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say will destroy the beauty and rhythm of the dance?
(a) If the cottage was any smaller
(b) If they wanted to both shower at the same time
(c) Fighting over a relationship
(d) Treading too heavily or holding too tightly
2. Why does the author believe it will be difficult to remember her thoughts from the beach?
(a) Life is too hectic at home
(b) One's thoughts and visions begin to fade
(c) They won't be relevant
(d) Her husband takes up all her time
3. How does society deal with middle/late age?
(a) Fears it
(b) Ignores it
(c) Condemns it
(d) Makes fun of it
4. In the beginning of a marriage the author says there's little time to do what?
(a) To simply enjoy the life being built
(b) To travel
(c) To have vacations
(d) To have children
5. What does the author say each person must develop on his/her own?
(a) One's own attitudes
(b) One's own beliefs
(c) One's own talents
(d) One's own personality
Short Answer Questions
1. What are two ways bonds in marriage are formed?
2. What is there little time at home to do, according to the author?
3. What kind of schedule does the author say is necessary on the island?
4. Why does Anne say about the tasks at home and time?
5. What does the author say might sacrifice the present in honor of the future?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Argonauta and how does it use its shell?
2. What questions about her life and conclusions does Anne have as she thinks about the Argonauta ?
3. How does Anne feel about people who are solely concerned about the problems of the whole?
4. How does Anne see the difference between everyday task at home and on the island?
5. What has the beach taught the author?
6. Describe some of the information the author gives about the oyster shell.
7. How does the author use the metaphor of dance in writing about her sister's visit?
8. How does Anne see the benefit of meeting people on an island as opposed to in a city?
9. Describe a day at the beach with Anne after her sister arrives.
10. How does Anne see the oyster shell in relationship to marriage?
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)