|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By middle age, what does Anne assert most couples are doing?
(a) Quit the struggle for a place in the world
(b) Getting bored with each other
(c) Waiting for grandchildren
(d) Getting ready to start a new career
2. What is the relationship of the Argonauta to its shell?
(a) It is not attached to its shell
(b) It is the same shape as its shell
(c) It doesn't have a shell
(d) It is the same color as its shell
3. What does the Argonauta represent to Anne?
(a) Not clinging too tightly to the past
(b) To strive for rare objects
(c) To have a good relationship with her children
(d) To look for balance
4. How do the two function in the small cottage?
(a) They keep knocking into each other
(b) They sleep in shifts
(c) They fight about who cooks
(d) As a dance
5. What does the author say a woman must discover for herself?
(a) Her intelligence
(b) Her talents
(c) Whether she wants children
(d) Her identity
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the difference between daily living tasks on the island and at home?
2. What does Anne say people must do as far as time goes?
3. What does Anne believe space around an object can do?
4. What do Anne and her visitor do in the afternoon?
5. What kind of schedule does the author say is necessary on the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author see the beginning of a marriage for most people?
2. How does being at home change the author's interaction with people?
3. What is the Argonauta and how does it use its shell?
4. What does Anne say is the key to dealing with the whole and moving forward?
5. What does Anne say women must discover for themselves and how?
6. Describe some of the information the author gives about the oyster shell.
7. What does Anne think middle age might bring to her relationships?
8. How has the world changed since modern communication?
9. How does Anne see the oyster shell in relationship to marriage?
10. Describe a day at the beach with Anne after her sister arrives.
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)