|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of schedule does the author say is necessary on the island?
(a) A weekly schedule
(b) A detailed schedule
(c) A daily schedule
(d) No schedule
2. What does she want to relate to her city life from the beach?
(a) Relate the beach people to the city people
(b) Relate the island paradise to every day life
(c) Relate work to play
(d) Relate the shells to cycles
3. When one lets go of the past one does one get?
(a) A different present
(b) A certain freedom
(c) Peace of mind
4. What does the author say the perfect day with her visitor represents?
(a) Being too polite to say no
(b) The give and take of relationships
(c) Being alone when someone is with you
(d) Being able to ignore someone politely
5. By middle age, what does Anne assert most couples are doing?
(a) Getting bored with each other
(b) Quit the struggle for a place in the world
(c) Getting ready to start a new career
(d) Waiting for grandchildren
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say makes it impossible to stand up for each person in existence?
2. What does the author say might sacrifice the present in honor of the future?
3. What does Anne believe is not her responsibility to do?
4. What are people expected to know in modern life?
5. Between what two poles have women swung, in the past?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does the author believe she will be able to practice at home what she learned on the island? Why or why not?
2. How does the author use the metaphor of dance in writing about her sister's visit?
3. What does Anne see as the difference in caring between the modern world and when life was less technical?
4. How does Anne feel about the years to come in her life?
5. What does the author say about most people wanting duration in life and marriage?
6. What does Anne say is the key to dealing with the whole and moving forward?
7. How does Anne feel about people who are solely concerned about the problems of the whole?
8. What does Anne think middle age might bring to her relationships?
9. How does Anne see the difference between everyday task at home and on the island?
10. What does Anne think about objects being crowded?
This section contains 1,295 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)