|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the visit effect Anne's path?
(a) Makes her work harder
(b) Does not diminish the path
(c) Makes it noisy
(d) Makes it crowded
2. What stage of life does the author say the oyster shell best represents?
(b) Old age
(c) The middle years
3. What does the author say might sacrifice the present in honor of the future?
(a) Trying to live in the past
(b) Trying to put off too many actions
(c) Trying to balance the individual against the whole
(d) Trying to ignore the day and always think about next week
4. What does Anne believe is not her responsibility to do?
(a) To raise her grandchildren
(b) To visit the sick
(c) Embrace the entire world
(d) To help her neighbors
5. What does the realization of self encourage?
(a) Having a good job
(b) The growth of one's interests
(c) Being a good partner
(d) Being smart
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the bonds of marriage formed?
2. The world is so large and devoid of individuality that the author worries about what?
3. Who comes to visit Anne at the cottage?
4. What does the author say the perfect day with her visitor represents?
5. What kind of schedule does the author say is necessary on the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Argonauta and how does it use its shell?
2. What does Anne suggest each person must do as far as themselves is concerned and what effect would that have on a person's life?
3. How has the world changed since modern communication?
4. What questions about her life and conclusions does Anne have as she thinks about the Argonauta ?
5. Does the author believe she will be able to practice at home what she learned on the island? Why or why not?
6. Describe some of the information the author gives about the oyster shell.
7. What does Anne say women must discover for themselves and how?
8. How does the author relate decorating with a few objects to people in crowds?
9. How does Anne see the difference between everyday task at home and on the island?
10. What does Anne say about returning to the beginnings of a relationship?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)