|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the author doing at the beginning of the book?
(a) Visiting her children
(b) Taking a vacation
(c) Getting married
(d) Moving to Europe
2. What does a married woman's concerns keep her from doing?
(a) Having a creative, contemplative or saintly life
(b) Being independent
(c) Being selfish
(d) Going out with lots of men
3. What complicates a pure relationship?
(d) Contact with the world
4. What does the author say is required of an artist?
(a) To give of self in small drops
(b) To not care
(c) To be patient
(d) To be around a lot of people
5. What does the author say is natural and part of the process of life?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why might women feel resentful about giving?
2. What does the author say the inner point of a moon shell does?
3. What kind of container does she carry to the beach everyday?
4. What could happen without inner strength and spiritual solidity?
5. What is Anne's main goal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the author's understanding of the first stage of a relationship.
2. What are obstacles to simplicity in Anne's life?
3. What are the author's intentions for her time at the beach and is she successful?
4. How does the author see people, since being at the beach?
5. How does one get gifts from the sea and what are the gifts?
6. What is the solution to problems in a relationship that the author says many people try? How effective is that solution?
7. How does this book open and why is the author at the location in the book?
8. How does the author feel about the ocean and what happens to her when near it?
9. What does the author say the beach does for relationships among people?
10. What happens to Anne's mind the second week at the beach?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)