|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the author view being alone for two weeks?
(a) As a spiritual step to sainthood
(b) As boring
(c) It presents a challenge
(d) As a wonderful vacation
2. What does the author forget when she's in the city?
(a) Clean air
(b) Clean water
(c) The rhythm and the pace of the sea
(d) The stars
3. What is a moon shell?
(a) A snail's shell that has a symmetrical face
(b) A shell that makes one depressed
(c) A cresent shaped shell
(d) A shell found on the full moon
4. Why does the author believe people often break up a romantic relationship?
(a) Fighting about money and children
(b) Infidelity or too much flirting
(c) Bad sex
(d) People believe a new relationship will solve their problems
5. What will the moon shell placed on her desk in Connecticut do for the author?
(a) It will be a reminder
(c) Get the desk sandy
(d) Smell bad
Short Answer Questions
1. What casts a powerful spell on Anne?
2. What happens to the pencils she carries?
3. What does the author learn to appreciate with in her solitude?
4. At the beach, what is the first thing the author changes about herself?
5. To what does the author compare the inner point of the moon shell?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the author's understanding of the first stage of a relationship.
2. What is Anne's main goal and what would the fulfillment of this goal mean to her?
3. How does the author see people, since being at the beach?
4. What happens to Anne's mind the second week at the beach?
5. What are the author's intentions for her time at the beach and is she successful?
6. How does the author feel about the ocean and what happens to her when near it?
7. Describe a double-sunrise shell?
8. How does the channeled whelk shell appear to Anne?
9. How does the author suggest one might rejuvenate a relationship?
10. The author suggests being alone might be good for a person. Why does she say this?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)