|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the spell in question #18 do to Anne?
(a) Gives her great ideas for books to write
(b) Revives the dormant ability to relax
(c) Makes her invent things
(d) Gives her the ability to talk to those around her
2. What kind of container does she carry to the beach everyday?
(a) A terry cloth bag
(b) A faded straw bag
(c) A canteen
(d) A leather purse
3. What does the author say is required of an artist?
(a) To give of self in small drops
(b) To not care
(c) To be patient
(d) To be around a lot of people
4. What does the author say about one and only moments in a relationship?
(a) They are to be avoided
(b) They don't exist
(c) They aren't healthy
(d) They are not permanent
5. What does a married woman's concerns keep her from doing?
(a) Being selfish
(b) Being independent
(c) Having a creative, contemplative or saintly life
(d) Going out with lots of men
Short Answer Questions
1. What does she do with the books she has stashed in the bag?
2. How is the mindset of the second week at the beach different from the city mindset?
3. What does the author forget when she's in the city?
4. What kind of atmosphere between people does a beach create?
5. What is a channeled whelk?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author suggest women should obtain solitude?
2. What does the author say the beach does for relationships among people?
3. How does this book open and why is the author at the location in the book?
4. How does the author believe her life has been shaped?
5. How does the channeled whelk shell appear to Anne?
6. The author suggests being alone might be good for a person. Why does she say this?
7. How does the author suggest one might rejuvenate a relationship?
8. How does the author see people, since being at the beach?
9. Why do some people try to stay in the first stage of a relationship?
10. How does the author feel about the concept of being the "one and only" in a person's life?
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)