|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where does the author realize her answers must come?
(a) Her sister
(b) Her mother
(c) Within herself
(d) Her husband
2. How does the author see the architecture of the channeled whelk?
(a) It is haphazard
(b) As a seamless work of art
(c) It is ugly, but functional
(d) It is dull
3. What happens to the pencils she carries?
(a) The leads break
(b) She loses them
(c) They get wet and don't work well
(d) They get dull from use
4. What is the author's suggestion for renewing a relationship?
(a) Separate for six months
(b) Start dating someone else for a while
(c) Take time to be alone
(d) Have another child
5. During the second week, what comes forth in Anne's mind?
(a) Unconscious thoughts and dreams
(b) New knitting patterns
(c) New book ideas
(d) New paintings to do
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say is required of an artist?
2. At the beach, what is the first thing the author changes about herself?
3. To what does the author compare the inner point of the moon shell?
4. How is the mindset of the second week at the beach different from the city mindset?
5. Why is less time spent caring for the home now possible?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author feel about the concept of being the "one and only" in a person's life?
2. How does the author find life at the ocean?
3. Why do some people try to stay in the first stage of a relationship?
4. What is Anne's main goal and what would the fulfillment of this goal mean to her?
5. Describe the moon shell.
6. Why might Anne want to be alone at the beach?
7. How is the mindset of the second week similar or different from her mindset in the city?
8. What does the author say is the answer to the dilemma on how to remain intact and balanced against the forces of nature and shocking events in the periphery
9. How does the author see people, since being at the beach?
10. What kind of examples does Anne use to illustrate simplicity in life?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)