|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of experience does the author say being alone was for her?
2. What is the author's suggestion for renewing a relationship?
(a) Separate for six months
(b) Take time to be alone
(c) Have another child
(d) Start dating someone else for a while
3. What is a moon shell?
(a) A snail's shell that has a symmetrical face
(b) A shell found on the full moon
(c) A cresent shaped shell
(d) A shell that makes one depressed
4. What did Anne experience after the good-bye?
(a) Ghost pain
(b) Sleeping well
5. What two actions does the author say are not acceptable paths to simplicity?
(a) Having more than three children
(b) Becoming rich
(c) Total renunciation or total acceptance of the world
(d) Being famous
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anne's main goal?
2. What does a married woman's concerns keep her from doing?
3. What can one-and-only moments bring to one's life?
4. What does the state of ease allow?
5. What does the author say gets in the way of simplification?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the author's intentions for her time at the beach and is she successful?
2. Describe a double-sunrise shell?
3. What are obstacles to simplicity in Anne's life?
4. What does the author believe people are designed to seek? How do people avoid loneliness?
5. How does the channeled whelk shell appear to Anne?
6. What is Anne's main goal and what would the fulfillment of this goal mean to her?
7. How does the author find life at the ocean?
8. How does the author feel about the ocean and what happens to her when near it?
9. The author suggests that women are designed to be giving. How does she tie in giving with solitude?
10. Describe the moon shell.
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)