|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the second week at the sea what returns to Anne?
(a) The ability to think
(b) Her children
(c) Her tan from last year
(d) Her husband
2. How do the author feel about clearing her mind and focusing solely on the sea?
(a) She doesn't want to do it
(b) It is a difficult task
(c) It is easy
(d) She thinks she has to do it
3. How does the author think one's true identity is found?
(b) By losing oneself
(c) By giving of oneself
(d) Having goals
4. The author says if the shells she finds and writes about are lined up across the top of her desk, they can represent what?
(a) The different stages of any relationship
(b) Her children
(c) Her friends
(d) The days of her vacation
5. What kind of container does she carry to the beach everyday?
(a) A faded straw bag
(b) A leather purse
(c) A terry cloth bag
(d) A canteen
Short Answer Questions
1. How have the author's "roles" in life effected her life?
2. Why is less time spent caring for the home now possible?
3. What does residing by the sea do for the author?
4. Why does the author have to rush in the city?
5. To what does the author compare the inner point of the moon shell?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the author's understanding of the first stage of a relationship.
2. What does the author say the beach does for relationships among people?
3. How does the author suggest one might rejuvenate a relationship?
4. How does this book open and why is the author at the location in the book?
5. What are the author's intentions for her time at the beach and is she successful?
6. What is the effect of solitude on people and on the author? What does the author feel when alone?
7. What are obstacles to simplicity in Anne's life?
8. Describe the moon shell.
9. How does the author suggest women should obtain solitude?
10. Why might Anne want to be alone at the beach?
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)