|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, what happens to the original essence of a relationship?
(a) Gets buried under jealousy or insecurity
(b) Gets boring
(c) Gets buried under the impediments of life
(d) Dies out from hormones
2. How is the mindset of the second week at the beach different from the city mindset?
(a) It is blank
(b) It is creative
(c) It is softer and more playful
(d) It is elusive
3. What kind of container does she carry to the beach everyday?
(a) A faded straw bag
(b) A leather purse
(c) A canteen
(d) A terry cloth bag
4. What does Anne believe is possible at the beach as far as shelter is concerned?
(a) One needs no shelter
(b) It has to have a comfortable bed
(c) A simple shelter is adequate
(d) A beautiful shelter is necessary for peace
5. What complicates a pure relationship?
(b) Contact with the world
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author learn to appreciate with in her solitude?
2. What should women do with some of the time freed up in modern times?
3. What will the moon shell placed on her desk in Connecticut do for the author?
4. What does the author suggest for good parenting?
5. What does the author stress about day to day living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the moon shell.
2. What does Anne find on one of her first walks on the beach and what does she wonder about it?
3. How does the author see people, since being at the beach?
4. Describe the author's understanding of the first stage of a relationship.
5. How does the author believe her life has been shaped?
6. How does one get gifts from the sea and what are the gifts?
7. What does the author say is the answer to the dilemma on how to remain intact and balanced against the forces of nature and shocking events in the periphery
8. What is the effect of solitude on people and on the author? What does the author feel when alone?
9. What does the author explore in her life and the sea? How does she relate this to the channeled whelk?
10. Why do some people try to stay in the first stage of a relationship?
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)