|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beach, what is the first step to achieving simplicity?
(a) Fast with only liquids
(b) Wear a swim suit
(c) Shed everything unnecessary
(d) Meditate an hour a day
2. What is a channeled whelk?
(a) A small snail-like creature
(b) Where boats come to the harbor
(c) A type of seaweed
(d) A type of coral
3. Why is a pure relationship not to be desired?
(a) It gets boring
(b) It is limited
(c) It is too frustrating
(d) It doesn't last
4. When does one go wrong in desiring love, according to the author?
(a) When wanting someone already married
(b) When wanting the person with them all the time
(c) When being jealousy
(d) When one wants to keep exclusivity forever
5. What does the author say the inner point of a moon shell does?
(a) Stares at her
(b) Changes colors
(c) Breaks easily
(d) Contains the meat
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author suggest for good parenting?
2. To whom will the sea not give its gifts?
3. What does the author say gets in the way of simplification?
4. What pains and amuses the author about married women and the church?
5. How is the mindset of the second week at the beach different from the city mindset?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anne see the benefit of meeting people on an island as opposed to in a city?
2. How does the author believe her life has been shaped?
3. What does the author say the beach does for relationships among people?
4. How does one get gifts from the sea and what are the gifts?
5. How does Anne feel about the years to come in her life?
6. What does the author explore in her life and the sea? How does she relate this to the channeled whelk?
7. How does the author suggest women should obtain solitude?
8. Does the author believe she will be able to practice at home what she learned on the island? Why or why not?
9. What is Anne's main goal and what would the fulfillment of this goal mean to her?
10. How does this book open and why is the author at the location in the book?
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)