|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say might sacrifice the present in honor of the future?
(a) Trying to live in the past
(b) Trying to ignore the day and always think about next week
(c) Trying to put off too many actions
(d) Trying to balance the individual against the whole
2. How does Anne see what she's learned the past two weeks?
(a) She sees nothing useful for the city
(b) She sees the whole picture
(c) She sees each day individually
(d) She sees each problem separately
3. As far as relationships go, what does the author say is generally not an option?
(a) Starting a new one with someone else
(b) Finding peace
(c) Getting out easily
(d) Returning to the initial stage
4. What best describes Anne's feelings towards middle age?
(a) Acceptence and regret
5. What is the relationship of the Argonauta to its shell?
(a) It is the same color as its shell
(b) It doesn't have a shell
(c) It is not attached to its shell
(d) It is the same shape as its shell
6. What type of people does the author believe one would be unlikely to be friends with in a city?
(a) An old hippie
(b) A beatnik
(c) A surf bum
(d) An eclectic group
7. How does she relate time to the dance?
(a) Clinging to a step is the past, going too fast is the future
(b) Dancing hard is hanging onto the past
(c) Not dancing is being in the now
(d) Dancing apart is walking in different times
8. What does the author say each person must develop on his/her own?
(a) One's own attitudes
(b) One's own talents
(c) One's own personality
(d) One's own beliefs
9. What is difficult for a person in a crowd to do?
(a) Be the boss
(b) Get to work on time
(c) Stand out
(d) Change someone's opinion
10. What do Anne and her visitor do in the morning?
11. What does she want to relate to her city life from the beach?
(a) Relate the shells to cycles
(b) Relate the island paradise to every day life
(c) Relate the beach people to the city people
(d) Relate work to play
12. The metaphor of dance exquisitely describes the method in which one may approach what?
(a) How to grow young
(c) How to learn
(d) The unknown and lack of continuity in life
13. What does Anne believe concentrating on the world's problems might do to someone?
(a) Keep their lives in chaos
(b) Keep them from having children
(c) Keep them from helping individuals
(d) Keep them from solving their own problems
14. What about space around an object changes it?
(a) Someone might not see it and break it
(b) It could get lost
(c) It could change the color
(d) It can stand out and be noticed and admired
15. What does Anne say people must do as far as time goes?
(a) Live in the present
(b) Not think about time at all
(c) Work faster
(d) Throw away all clocks
Short Answer Questions
1. What will she use to remind her of the island at home?
2. What does the Argonauta represent to Anne?
3. How are most actions taken for helping people in modern life?
4. What are people expected to know in modern life?
5. Why must a new community be created in a middle aged relationship?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)