|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are people expected to know in modern life?
(a) How to raise children
(b) About everything that goes on
(c) How to be a good spouse
(d) How to earn money
2. How does society deal with middle/late age?
(a) Fears it
(b) Makes fun of it
(c) Condemns it
(d) Ignores it
3. What does Anne say people must do as far as time goes?
(a) Live in the present
(b) Throw away all clocks
(c) Not think about time at all
(d) Work faster
4. What does Anne believe space around an object can do?
(a) Make it more special
(b) Keep people from touching it
(c) Be very dark
(d) Make it look odd
5. How common are the oyster shells?
(a) Very common
(b) Somewhat rare
(c) Very rare
(d) Common only in Florida
6. What does the author say each person must develop on his/her own?
(a) One's own attitudes
(b) One's own personality
(c) One's own talents
(d) One's own beliefs
7. Why is the author amused by the oyster shell?
(a) It reminds her of her youth
(b) It reminds her of her father
(c) It is reminiscent of her life at the moment
(d) It is reminiscent of her religion
8. What does the author say acceptance of pain as growth potential do?
(a) Will enable growth faster
(b) Will grant peace
(c) Will make the clock less significant
(d) Will give happiness
9. Why does Anne say about the tasks at home and time?
(a) They eat up valuable time
(b) They are quick and easy
(c) Her husband helps her
(d) They are fun with her children
10. What does the author plan to do about her life upon returning home?
(a) Kick her grown children out
(b) Pick-up where she left off
(c) Try for more balance
(d) Tell her husband to change
11. As the author prepares to leave the island what saddens about her life at home?
(a) Her dog has died
(b) Her husband left her
(c) That it can't be lived like on the island
(d) Her children are gone
12. The author suggests that compassion may not be possible in the modern world for who?
(a) Violent countries
(b) Groups of people
13. How are most actions taken for helping people in modern life?
(a) To benefit self rather than others
(b) On a case by case basis
(c) On behalf of the whole
(d) Without thought of the repercussions
14. What types of habits does the daily life of marriage have?
(a) Work and play
(b) Strong and weak
(c) Good and bad
(d) Feminine and masculine
15. How does Anne's feelings change as she prepares to leave the beach?
(a) Happiness for depression
(b) Balance for restlessness
(c) Melancholy for hope
(d) Peace for chaos
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the visit effect Anne's path?
2. What does the mother Argonauta do with her shell after the babies hatch?
3. What does the author say makes it impossible to stand up for each person in existence?
4. How does the freedom of being a whole person effect a relationship?
5. What has changed in the modern life as far as community goes?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)