|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When one lets go of the past one does one get?
(a) A different present
(b) Peace of mind
(d) A certain freedom
2. What might limit a person's outlook on life?
(a) Trying to stay as simple in the city as on the island
(b) Looking for easy answers
(c) Looking for simplicity, inner integrity and fuller relationships
(d) Not being open to complexity
3. How are the bonds of marriage formed?
(a) Watching television together
(b) Having children
(c) Having a great love life
(d) Working to achieve their united goals
4. What do Anne and her visitor do in the morning?
5. The author suggests that compassion may not be possible in the modern world for who?
(a) Groups of people
(b) Violent countries
6. Between what two poles have women swung, in the past?
(a) Love and hate
(b) Ambition and laziness
(c) Kindness and anger
(d) Dependence and competition
7. What does Anne say people must do as far as time goes?
(a) Work faster
(b) Not think about time at all
(c) Throw away all clocks
(d) Live in the present
8. How are most actions taken for helping people in modern life?
(a) On a case by case basis
(b) To benefit self rather than others
(c) Without thought of the repercussions
(d) On behalf of the whole
9. How does the author use shells in relation to life?
(a) To show wonder
(b) To demonstrate love
(c) To think about death
(d) To illustrate the stages
10. What does the author say each person must develop on his/her own?
(a) One's own personality
(b) One's own attitudes
(c) One's own beliefs
(d) One's own talents
11. As the author prepares to leave the island what saddens about her life at home?
(a) That it can't be lived like on the island
(b) Her dog has died
(c) Her children are gone
(d) Her husband left her
12. What does the author say a woman is full of?
(a) Ambiguity and contradiction
(b) Love and hate
(c) Order and serenity
(d) Peace and chaos
13. In the beginning of a marriage the author says there's little time to do what?
(a) To have vacations
(b) To have children
(c) To travel
(d) To simply enjoy the life being built
14. What are people expected to know in modern life?
(a) How to raise children
(b) How to earn money
(c) About everything that goes on
(d) How to be a good spouse
15. What does the author plan to do about her life upon returning home?
(a) Try for more balance
(b) Kick her grown children out
(c) Tell her husband to change
(d) Pick-up where she left off
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the shell of the Argonauta used by them?
2. As far as relationships go, what does the author say is generally not an option?
3. What does Anne say one must be aware of in everyday life?
4. What has changed in the modern life as far as community goes?
5. What types of habits does the daily life of marriage have?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)