|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say the perfect day with her visitor represents?
(a) The give and take of relationships
(b) Being able to ignore someone politely
(c) Being alone when someone is with you
(d) Being too polite to say no
2. By middle age, what does Anne assert most couples are doing?
(a) Waiting for grandchildren
(b) Quit the struggle for a place in the world
(c) Getting bored with each other
(d) Getting ready to start a new career
3. What best describes Anne's feelings towards middle age?
(c) Acceptence and regret
4. What does Anne believe is not her responsibility to do?
(a) Embrace the entire world
(b) To visit the sick
(c) To raise her grandchildren
(d) To help her neighbors
5. What does the author intend to do about the societal implications of age?
(a) Mitigate them
(b) Ignore them
(c) Get rid of them
(d) Survive them
6. How does the author see the oyster shell?
(a) Humble, awkward, and ugly
(b) As a cover for a pearl
(c) Strange and alien
(d) Beautiful and delicate
7. What does the author plan to do about her life upon returning home?
(a) Pick-up where she left off
(b) Tell her husband to change
(c) Kick her grown children out
(d) Try for more balance
8. Why does Anne say about the tasks at home and time?
(a) They eat up valuable time
(b) They are quick and easy
(c) They are fun with her children
(d) Her husband helps her
9. How are the bonds of marriage formed?
(a) Having children
(b) Working to achieve their united goals
(c) Having a great love life
(d) Watching television together
10. Why must a new community be created in a middle aged relationship?
(a) The children have left home
(b) To keep it from boredom
(c) Life is slower
(d) The community is much larger
11. How does Anne see what she's learned the past two weeks?
(a) She sees the whole picture
(b) She sees nothing useful for the city
(c) She sees each day individually
(d) She sees each problem separately
12. What is it acceptable for people to do together on the island?
(a) To be silent in the presence of another
(b) To give each other desserts
(c) To lie about who they are
(d) To play volleyball together
13. The metaphor of dance exquisitely describes the method in which one may approach what?
(a) How to grow young
(c) How to learn
(d) The unknown and lack of continuity in life
14. How common are the oyster shells?
(a) Somewhat rare
(b) Very common
(c) Very rare
(d) Common only in Florida
15. What do the Anne and her visitor do in the evening?
(b) Set up a budget
(c) Relax and talk
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say makes it impossible to stand up for each person in existence?
2. What do Anne and her visitor do in the afternoon?
3. How does Anne feel as she leaves the sea?
4. What does the mother Argonauta do with her shell after the babies hatch?
5. Why does the author believe it will be difficult to remember her thoughts from the beach?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)