|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why would she believe the answer to question #151?
(a) She has no time to meet people on the island
(b) Most strange people don't live in cities
(c) She has no friends on the island
(d) One tends to gravitate toward the familiar
2. The metaphor of dance exquisitely describes the method in which one may approach what?
(a) How to grow young
(b) The unknown and lack of continuity in life
(c) How to learn
3. How much does Anne believe her thoughts at the beach will change her life at home?
(a) It will change her so much her husband won't like it
(b) Not very much
(c) It will be like a new beginning
(d) It will be very slow, but thorough change
4. How does the author see the oyster shell?
(a) Beautiful and delicate
(b) As a cover for a pearl
(c) Strange and alien
(d) Humble, awkward, and ugly
5. What is it acceptable for people to do together on the island?
(a) To lie about who they are
(b) To be silent in the presence of another
(c) To give each other desserts
(d) To play volleyball together
6. What does the author intend to do about the societal implications of age?
(a) Survive them
(b) Get rid of them
(c) Mitigate them
(d) Ignore them
7. What makes people seem different on the island from people in the city?
(a) On the island most people don't have a job
(b) On the island one sees each person as unique
(c) In the city the people are friendly
(d) In the city the people are rushed
8. How is the shell of the Argonauta used by them?
(a) It is used to attract a mate
(b) It is used to attract its prey
(c) It is used to dig in the sand
(d) The mother uses it as a cradle for its young
9. How does Anne see what she's learned the past two weeks?
(a) She sees nothing useful for the city
(b) She sees each day individually
(c) She sees each problem separately
(d) She sees the whole picture
10. Why does the author think at this stage of life a large house is not necessary?
(a) The children will move away
(b) It has too many memories
(c) It cost too much money
(d) It's too much to maintain
11. What does the realization of self encourage?
(a) The growth of one's interests
(b) Being smart
(c) Having a good job
(d) Being a good partner
12. What does Anne say about a perfect day?
(a) Everyday is perfect
(b) Life is not filled with continuous perfect days
(c) They happen all the time
(d) They are impossible
13. What does Anne believe concentrating on the world's problems might do to someone?
(a) Keep them from having children
(b) Keep their lives in chaos
(c) Keep them from helping individuals
(d) Keep them from solving their own problems
14. What has changed in the modern life as far as community goes?
(a) It is much less friendly
(b) Everyone knows your business
(c) The community is widening to include the world
(d) There is no community
15. What does Anne believe is not her responsibility to do?
(a) Embrace the entire world
(b) To raise her grandchildren
(c) To visit the sick
(d) To help her neighbors
Short Answer Questions
1. How common are the oyster shells?
2. What do Anne and her visitor do in the afternoon?
3. What does the Argonauta represent to Anne?
4. How does she relate time to the dance?
5. For what was the Argonauta named?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)