|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Anne decorate her beach cottage?
(a) She doesn't deorate her cottage
(b) With local handicrafts
(c) With her paintings
(d) With gifts from the sea
2. What does Anne believe is possible at the beach as far as shelter is concerned?
(a) One needs no shelter
(b) A simple shelter is adequate
(c) It has to have a comfortable bed
(d) A beautiful shelter is necessary for peace
3. According to the author, what is seen as failure in a relationship?
(a) To break up
(b) To stay together too long
(c) To not maintain the original pattern
(d) To not have children
4. How long does it take Anne to slip into a state of ease?
(a) A few days
(b) A few hours
(c) The entire vacation
(d) A week
5. What does the author suggest for good parenting?
(a) Be consistent
(b) Spend time with each child alone
(c) Accept each child
(d) Discipline lightly
6. The author says if the shells she finds and writes about are lined up across the top of her desk, they can represent what?
(a) The days of her vacation
(b) The different stages of any relationship
(c) Her children
(d) Her friends
7. What does the spell in question #18 do to Anne?
(a) Gives her great ideas for books to write
(b) Revives the dormant ability to relax
(c) Gives her the ability to talk to those around her
(d) Makes her invent things
8. Why does she believe people seek meaningless activities when there's nothing to do?
(a) To fill the void of time
(b) To keep from thinking
(c) To keep from remembering something bad
(d) So they don't get bored
9. What does being alone generally suggest in this society?
(a) That one is special
(b) That one is rejected if alone
(c) That one is a genius
(d) That one is from outer space
10. What allows a person to give of oneself?
(a) Being a woman
(b) Maintaining health
(c) Being selfless
(d) Being a child
11. How do the author feel about clearing her mind and focusing solely on the sea?
(a) She doesn't want to do it
(b) It is easy
(c) It is a difficult task
(d) She thinks she has to do it
12. What is Anne's main goal?
(a) To obtain enlightenment
(b) To obtain peace
(c) To publish a lot of books
(d) To be rich
13. What does the author seek to do at the sea?
(a) Free herself from the demands of city life
(b) Meet a man
(c) Lose weight
(d) Get a tan
14. How does Anne feel about her roles in life?
(a) She resents them
(b) They bore her
(c) She deeply desires to maintain them
(d) She is indifferent to them
15. Why is a pure relationship not to be desired?
(a) It is too frustrating
(b) It is limited
(c) It gets boring
(d) It doesn't last
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, what happens to the original essence of a relationship?
2. What does the author believe people are designed to do?
3. What did Anne experience after the good-bye?
4. How is the mindset of the second week at the beach different from the city mindset?
5. What does a married woman's concerns keep her from doing?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)