|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is less time spent caring for the home now possible?
(a) Smaller houses
(b) Men help
(c) A myriad inventions
(d) Smaller families
2. What does being alone generally suggest in this society?
(a) That one is a genius
(b) That one is special
(c) That one is from outer space
(d) That one is rejected if alone
3. What can one do in solitude?
(a) One may let go
(b) One may be quiet
(c) One may concentrate
(d) One may feed the spirit
4. What is the author's suggestion for renewing a relationship?
(a) Take time to be alone
(b) Have another child
(c) Separate for six months
(d) Start dating someone else for a while
5. What could happen without inner strength and spiritual solidity?
(a) One could die
(b) One will be depleted
(c) One could be a criminal
(d) One could get sick
6. What should women do with some of the time freed up in modern times?
(a) Use it to feed and nourish the center
(d) Have a hobby
7. During the second week, what comes forth in Anne's mind?
(a) New knitting patterns
(b) New book ideas
(c) New paintings to do
(d) Unconscious thoughts and dreams
8. What is a channeled whelk?
(a) A type of coral
(b) Where boats come to the harbor
(c) A small snail-like creature
(d) A type of seaweed
9. How does Anne feel about her roles in life?
(a) They bore her
(b) She resents them
(c) She is indifferent to them
(d) She deeply desires to maintain them
10. Who does Anne use as an example of the simple life?
(a) Children in an orphanage
(b) Modern art
(c) Nuns and monks
(d) Her sister
11. Why does the author believe people often break up a romantic relationship?
(a) Bad sex
(b) People believe a new relationship will solve their problems
(c) Fighting about money and children
(d) Infidelity or too much flirting
12. What allows a person to give of oneself?
(a) Maintaining health
(b) Being a child
(c) Being selfless
(d) Being a woman
13. Why is a pure relationship not to be desired?
(a) It doesn't last
(b) It gets boring
(c) It is limited
(d) It is too frustrating
14. What removes the desire to think or read within Anne?
(a) The solitude and serenity of the ocean
(b) The nice people around her
(c) The sun making her sleepy
(d) The exercise from swimming
15. What is a moon shell?
(a) A cresent shaped shell
(b) A shell that makes one depressed
(c) A shell found on the full moon
(d) A snail's shell that has a symmetrical face
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anne afraid of when she is alone and feeling peaceful?
2. How do the author feel about clearing her mind and focusing solely on the sea?
3. What happens to the pencils she carries?
4. What is a double-sunrise shell?
5. What does the author say about one and only moments in a relationship?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)