|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why might women feel resentful about giving?
(a) Because men don't
(b) If it is is without purpose
(c) Because no one else does
(d) Because it cost too much
2. To what does the author equate shedding insincerity?
(a) Breathing deeply
(b) Being holy
(c) Facing the morning sun
(d) Taking off a mask
3. What does the author say about one and only moments in a relationship?
(a) They are to be avoided
(b) They don't exist
(c) They are not permanent
(d) They aren't healthy
4. What does the author say is natural and part of the process of life?
5. Why does she believe people seek meaningless activities when there's nothing to do?
(a) To keep from thinking
(b) To keep from remembering something bad
(c) To fill the void of time
(d) So they don't get bored
6. What does the channeled whelk represent to the author?
(a) Convoluted schemes
(b) Knitting a sock
(c) Designs of man
(d) An existence of simplicity
7. How long does it take Anne to slip into a state of ease?
(a) A few days
(b) A few hours
(c) A week
(d) The entire vacation
8. To whom will the sea not give its gifts?
(a) to criminals
(b) To children who can't be still
(c) To men
(d) To the greedy or impatient
9. At the beach, what is the first step to achieving simplicity?
(a) Wear a swim suit
(b) Meditate an hour a day
(c) Shed everything unnecessary
(d) Fast with only liquids
10. What casts a powerful spell on Anne?
(a) The shells
(b) The breeze
(c) The sun
(d) The sea
11. What is a channeled whelk?
(a) A small snail-like creature
(b) Where boats come to the harbor
(c) A type of seaweed
(d) A type of coral
12. What kind of container does she carry to the beach everyday?
(a) A leather purse
(b) A faded straw bag
(c) A canteen
(d) A terry cloth bag
13. At the beginning of a relationship what kind of world exist for two people?
(b) An exciting world
(c) A happier world
(d) A wider world
14. What are the author's ambitions for the days to come?
(a) To do nothing
(b) To complete an array of simple and pleasurable tasks
(c) To write the first draft of a book
(d) To read fourteen short stories
15. How have the author's "roles" in life effected her life?
(a) Takes a toll on the author's spirit
(b) Fried her brain
(c) Made her very happy
(d) Made her tired
Short Answer Questions
1. What about the author's life makes it more difficult to achieve simplicity?
2. Why does the author have to rush in the city?
3. What is Anne's main goal?
4. What does the spell in question #18 do to Anne?
5. How does Anne decorate her beach cottage?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)