|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can one do in solitude?
(a) One may feed the spirit
(b) One may let go
(c) One may be quiet
(d) One may concentrate
2. What does the author suggest for good parenting?
(a) Spend time with each child alone
(b) Discipline lightly
(c) Accept each child
(d) Be consistent
3. What does Anne become one with?
(a) The sun
(b) The rhythms of the sea
(c) The people around her
(d) The sand
4. What does the author say gets in the way of simplification?
(d) All the details of daily living
5. What does the author believe people are designed to do?
(a) Have children
(b) Seek companionship and acceptance
(c) Have a purpose
(d) Make money
6. The author says if the shells she finds and writes about are lined up across the top of her desk, they can represent what?
(a) Her friends
(b) Her children
(c) The days of her vacation
(d) The different stages of any relationship
7. What is Anne's main goal?
(a) To obtain peace
(b) To publish a lot of books
(c) To obtain enlightenment
(d) To be rich
8. From where does the author realize her answers must come?
(a) Her mother
(b) Her husband
(c) Her sister
(d) Within herself
9. How do the author feel about clearing her mind and focusing solely on the sea?
(a) She doesn't want to do it
(b) It is easy
(c) She thinks she has to do it
(d) It is a difficult task
10. To what does the author equate shedding insincerity?
(a) Breathing deeply
(b) Taking off a mask
(c) Facing the morning sun
(d) Being holy
11. What does the spell in question #18 do to Anne?
(a) Gives her the ability to talk to those around her
(b) Gives her great ideas for books to write
(c) Makes her invent things
(d) Revives the dormant ability to relax
12. Why is a pure relationship not to be desired?
(a) It doesn't last
(b) It is too frustrating
(c) It gets boring
(d) It is limited
13. Why is less time spent caring for the home now possible?
(a) A myriad inventions
(b) Smaller houses
(c) Smaller families
(d) Men help
14. What kind of atmosphere between people does a beach create?
15. Who does Anne use as an example of the simple life?
(a) Her sister
(b) Children in an orphanage
(c) Nuns and monks
(d) Modern art
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the mindset of the second week at the beach different from the city mindset?
2. What does the author stress about day to day living?
3. To whom will the sea not give its gifts?
4. What effect does solitude have on people?
5. How does the author see the architecture of the channeled whelk?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)