|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author seek to do at the sea?
(a) Meet a man
(b) Get a tan
(c) Free herself from the demands of city life
(d) Lose weight
2. How does Anne feel about her roles in life?
(a) She deeply desires to maintain them
(b) She is indifferent to them
(c) She resents them
(d) They bore her
3. At the beginning of a relationship what kind of world exist for two people?
(b) A wider world
(c) A happier world
(d) An exciting world
4. What does the author say is required to obtain simplicity?
(a) Being single
(c) Simple surroundings
(d) No family
5. Why is a pure relationship not to be desired?
(a) It is too frustrating
(b) It doesn't last
(c) It gets boring
(d) It is limited
6. What about the author's life makes it more difficult to achieve simplicity?
(a) Her husband is unfaithful
(b) She has to work
(c) She has too many children
(d) Her life is subject to public scrutiny
7. What does living life an on island do for the author's thoughts?
(a) Makes her think in esoteric ways
(b) Sends them away
(c) Gives them more depth
(d) Strengthens thoughts on solitude
8. Why does the author believe people often break up a romantic relationship?
(a) People believe a new relationship will solve their problems
(b) Infidelity or too much flirting
(c) Fighting about money and children
(d) Bad sex
9. What does Anne wishes she could do with the cottage?
(a) Change the kitchen sink
(b) Paint the rooms
(c) Remodel it
(d) Take it home with her
10. What does the author suggest people living in society are like?
(a) Trees, with branches reaching out to each other
(c) Grains of sand, crowded and gritty
11. What does the author say must be balanced in a woman's life?
(a) Knowledge and ignorance
(b) Music and quiet
(c) Solitude and communion
(d) Work and play
12. Who does Anne Lindbergh believe has helped shape her life?
(a) Her religion
(b) Her ideas
(c) Her education
(d) The people who have helped to create it
13. What should women do with some of the time freed up in modern times?
(a) Use it to feed and nourish the center
(b) Have a hobby
14. What kind of experience does the author say being alone was for her?
15. What does the author say about one and only moments in a relationship?
(a) They are to be avoided
(b) They are not permanent
(c) They aren't healthy
(d) They don't exist
Short Answer Questions
1. How have the author's "roles" in life effected her life?
2. According to the author, what is seen as failure in a relationship?
3. Why might women feel resentful about giving?
4. What does being alone generally suggest in this society?
5. To what does Anne compare saying good-bye?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)