|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of atmosphere between people does a beach create?
2. Why does the author believe people often break up a romantic relationship?
(a) Bad sex
(b) Fighting about money and children
(c) People believe a new relationship will solve their problems
(d) Infidelity or too much flirting
3. What does the state of ease allow?
(a) For her to relax
(b) For her to sleep
(c) Her to focus on inner thoughts and observations
(d) For her to talk to others
4. What does she do with the books she has stashed in the bag?
(a) She reads them at night
(b) They remain unread
(c) She did not bring any books with her
(d) She studies them and writes in them
5. What does the author say must be balanced in a woman's life?
(a) Solitude and communion
(b) Music and quiet
(c) Work and play
(d) Knowledge and ignorance
6. Why is less time spent caring for the home now possible?
(a) A myriad inventions
(b) Men help
(c) Smaller families
(d) Smaller houses
7. For how long will the author be doing the answer in question #1?
(a) Three days
(b) Two weeks
(c) Two months
(d) A year
8. What does the author say is natural and part of the process of life?
9. During the second week at the sea what returns to Anne?
(a) Her tan from last year
(b) The ability to think
(c) Her husband
(d) Her children
10. What did Anne experience after the good-bye?
(b) Sleeping well
(c) Ghost pain
11. What does the author learn to appreciate with in her solitude?
(b) Other people
12. What is the author's suggestion for renewing a relationship?
(a) Separate for six months
(b) Take time to be alone
(c) Have another child
(d) Start dating someone else for a while
13. What pains and amuses the author about married women and the church?
(a) They don't have time for church
(b) They have to sit with their husbands
(c) Married women are rarely canonized
(d) They can't become priests
14. What part of a relationship is pure, according to the author?
(a) The first part
(b) When eating the other's cooking
(c) After ten years
(d) At the end
15. What effect does solitude have on people?
(b) different for each individual
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the author feel about clearing her mind and focusing solely on the sea?
2. What two actions does the author say are not acceptable paths to simplicity?
3. What complicates a pure relationship?
4. Why might women feel resentful about giving?
5. What removes the desire to think or read within Anne?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)