|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the second week at the sea what returns to Anne?
(a) Her husband
(b) Her tan from last year
(c) Her children
(d) The ability to think
2. To whom will the sea not give its gifts?
(a) To men
(b) To the greedy or impatient
(c) to criminals
(d) To children who can't be still
3. According to the author, what is seen as failure in a relationship?
(a) To break up
(b) To not maintain the original pattern
(c) To not have children
(d) To stay together too long
4. How have the author's "roles" in life effected her life?
(a) Made her very happy
(b) Fried her brain
(c) Made her tired
(d) Takes a toll on the author's spirit
5. What did Anne experience after the good-bye?
(a) Ghost pain
(c) Sleeping well
6. At the beginning of a relationship what kind of world exist for two people?
(b) A wider world
(c) A happier world
(d) An exciting world
7. The author says if the shells she finds and writes about are lined up across the top of her desk, they can represent what?
(a) Her friends
(b) Her children
(c) The different stages of any relationship
(d) The days of her vacation
8. From where does the author realize her answers must come?
(a) Her sister
(b) Her husband
(c) Her mother
(d) Within herself
9. What casts a powerful spell on Anne?
(a) The breeze
(b) The sea
(c) The sun
(d) The shells
10. At the beach, what is the first thing the author changes about herself?
(a) Her hair, she cuts it very short
(b) Her clothing
(c) She quits taking showers
(d) She unplugs the telephone
11. Men, says the author, has more opportunity at work than women to do what?
(a) Earn money
(b) Talk to people
(c) Have an affair
(d) Giving himself creatively
12. What does the spell in question #18 do to Anne?
(a) Makes her invent things
(b) Gives her great ideas for books to write
(c) Gives her the ability to talk to those around her
(d) Revives the dormant ability to relax
13. Why does the author have to rush in the city?
(a) To get ahead
(b) To take her children places
(c) To run her business
(d) To accomplish myriad tasks
14. What does the author learn to appreciate with in her solitude?
(d) Other people
15. What are the author's ambitions for the days to come?
(a) To do nothing
(b) To complete an array of simple and pleasurable tasks
(c) To read fourteen short stories
(d) To write the first draft of a book
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say everyone wants out of love?
2. What kind of experience does the author say being alone was for her?
3. What does being alone generally suggest in this society?
4. What is a channeled whelk?
5. What does the channeled whelk represent to the author?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)