|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does the author equate shedding insincerity?
(a) Facing the morning sun
(b) Breathing deeply
(c) Being holy
(d) Taking off a mask
2. According to the author, what is seen as failure in a relationship?
(a) To stay together too long
(b) To not maintain the original pattern
(c) To not have children
(d) To break up
3. According to the author, what happens to the original essence of a relationship?
(a) Gets buried under the impediments of life
(b) Gets boring
(c) Gets buried under jealousy or insecurity
(d) Dies out from hormones
4. What does the author seek to do at the sea?
(a) Meet a man
(b) Get a tan
(c) Lose weight
(d) Free herself from the demands of city life
5. What is a channeled whelk?
(a) A type of coral
(b) A type of seaweed
(c) Where boats come to the harbor
(d) A small snail-like creature
6. What does living life an on island do for the author's thoughts?
(a) Makes her think in esoteric ways
(b) Sends them away
(c) Gives them more depth
(d) Strengthens thoughts on solitude
7. What happens to the pencils she carries?
(a) They get wet and don't work well
(b) They get dull from use
(c) The leads break
(d) She loses them
8. How does the author view being alone for two weeks?
(a) As boring
(b) As a spiritual step to sainthood
(c) As a wonderful vacation
(d) It presents a challenge
9. Men, says the author, has more opportunity at work than women to do what?
(a) Have an affair
(b) Earn money
(c) Giving himself creatively
(d) Talk to people
10. What kind of container does she carry to the beach everyday?
(a) A leather purse
(b) A terry cloth bag
(c) A faded straw bag
(d) A canteen
11. How does the author think one's true identity is found?
(a) By losing oneself
(b) By giving of oneself
(c) Having goals
12. During the second week at the sea what returns to Anne?
(a) The ability to think
(b) Her tan from last year
(c) Her husband
(d) Her children
13. What does multiplicity in life lead to, according to the author?
(a) Being tired all the time
(d) An interesting life
14. What does the author say everyone wants out of love?
(a) To be faithful
(b) To not be bored
(c) To be the only one loved by a person
(d) To be taken care of
15. What does Anne become one with?
(a) The sun
(b) The sand
(c) The people around her
(d) The rhythms of the sea
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author see the architecture of the channeled whelk?
2. What pains and amuses the author about married women and the church?
3. At the beach, what is the first thing the author changes about herself?
4. Why is a pure relationship not to be desired?
5. What does a married woman's concerns keep her from doing?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)