|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the author feel about clearing her mind and focusing solely on the sea?
(a) It is a difficult task
(b) She thinks she has to do it
(c) She doesn't want to do it
(d) It is easy
2. What does the author say must be balanced in a woman's life?
(a) Work and play
(b) Music and quiet
(c) Knowledge and ignorance
(d) Solitude and communion
3. What is the author's suggestion for renewing a relationship?
(a) Start dating someone else for a while
(b) Separate for six months
(c) Take time to be alone
(d) Have another child
4. What does Anne believe is possible at the beach as far as shelter is concerned?
(a) A simple shelter is adequate
(b) One needs no shelter
(c) A beautiful shelter is necessary for peace
(d) It has to have a comfortable bed
5. What does the author suggest for good parenting?
(a) Discipline lightly
(b) Spend time with each child alone
(c) Accept each child
(d) Be consistent
6. What is a channeled whelk?
(a) Where boats come to the harbor
(b) A small snail-like creature
(c) A type of seaweed
(d) A type of coral
7. What does the spell in question #18 do to Anne?
(a) Gives her great ideas for books to write
(b) Gives her the ability to talk to those around her
(c) Revives the dormant ability to relax
(d) Makes her invent things
8. How long does it take Anne to slip into a state of ease?
(a) A few days
(b) A week
(c) The entire vacation
(d) A few hours
9. What is a double-sunrise shell?
(a) A shell formed from coral
(b) A shell found a sunrise
(c) Two shells joined at the center
(d) A shell with red and orange on both sides
10. What does the author believe most people need?
11. At the beginning of a relationship what kind of world exist for two people?
(a) A happier world
(c) An exciting world
(d) A wider world
12. What does a married woman's concerns keep her from doing?
(a) Having a creative, contemplative or saintly life
(b) Going out with lots of men
(c) Being selfish
(d) Being independent
13. Who does Anne use as an example of the simple life?
(a) Children in an orphanage
(b) Modern art
(c) Nuns and monks
(d) Her sister
14. From where does the author realize her answers must come?
(a) Her sister
(b) Her mother
(c) Her husband
(d) Within herself
15. What are the author's ambitions for the days to come?
(a) To do nothing
(b) To complete an array of simple and pleasurable tasks
(c) To write the first draft of a book
(d) To read fourteen short stories
Short Answer Questions
1. What does multiplicity in life lead to, according to the author?
2. Why does the author have to rush in the city?
3. What does the author learn to appreciate with in her solitude?
4. The author says if the shells she finds and writes about are lined up across the top of her desk, they can represent what?
5. At the beach, what is the first step to achieving simplicity?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)