|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does residing by the sea do for the author?
(a) Gives her a tan
(b) Heals her cuts
(c) Opens a different world
(d) Saves her money
2. What does Anne believe is possible at the beach as far as shelter is concerned?
(a) A simple shelter is adequate
(b) A beautiful shelter is necessary for peace
(c) It has to have a comfortable bed
(d) One needs no shelter
3. How is the mindset of the second week at the beach different from the city mindset?
(a) It is elusive
(b) It is creative
(c) It is softer and more playful
(d) It is blank
4. What can one do in solitude?
(a) One may be quiet
(b) One may feed the spirit
(c) One may let go
(d) One may concentrate
5. What is the author's suggestion for renewing a relationship?
(a) Separate for six months
(b) Take time to be alone
(c) Have another child
(d) Start dating someone else for a while
6. What does Anne wishes she could do with the cottage?
(a) Take it home with her
(b) Remodel it
(c) Paint the rooms
(d) Change the kitchen sink
7. What can one-and-only moments bring to one's life?
(c) Much needed respite from daily living
8. What does the author say is natural and part of the process of life?
9. How does the author think one's true identity is found?
(b) By giving of oneself
(c) By losing oneself
(d) Having goals
10. What is the author doing at the beginning of the book?
(a) Getting married
(b) Visiting her children
(c) Moving to Europe
(d) Taking a vacation
11. What is a channeled whelk?
(a) A type of coral
(b) A type of seaweed
(c) Where boats come to the harbor
(d) A small snail-like creature
12. How does the author see the architecture of the channeled whelk?
(a) It is haphazard
(b) It is dull
(c) As a seamless work of art
(d) It is ugly, but functional
13. What does the author say must be balanced in a woman's life?
(a) Music and quiet
(b) Work and play
(c) Knowledge and ignorance
(d) Solitude and communion
14. How long does it take Anne to slip into a state of ease?
(a) A few hours
(b) The entire vacation
(c) A week
(d) A few days
15. To what does the author compare the inner point of the moon shell?
(a) To a pupil of the eye
(b) A marriage ring
(d) The circle of life
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is a pure relationship not to be desired?
2. What allows a person to give of oneself?
3. How can a homemaker avoid feeling dispensable?
4. What happens to the pencils she carries?
5. What does the author learn to appreciate with in her solitude?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)