|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two actions does the author say are not acceptable paths to simplicity?
(a) Becoming rich
(b) Being famous
(c) Having more than three children
(d) Total renunciation or total acceptance of the world
2. What could happen without inner strength and spiritual solidity?
(a) One will be depleted
(b) One could be a criminal
(c) One could get sick
(d) One could die
3. How long does it take Anne to slip into a state of ease?
(a) The entire vacation
(b) A few hours
(c) A few days
(d) A week
4. What does a married woman's concerns keep her from doing?
(a) Going out with lots of men
(b) Being selfish
(c) Having a creative, contemplative or saintly life
(d) Being independent
5. What does the author learn to appreciate with in her solitude?
(b) Other people
6. How does the author think one's true identity is found?
(b) Having goals
(c) By giving of oneself
(d) By losing oneself
7. How does the author see the architecture of the channeled whelk?
(a) As a seamless work of art
(b) It is haphazard
(c) It is ugly, but functional
(d) It is dull
8. When does one go wrong in desiring love, according to the author?
(a) When one wants to keep exclusivity forever
(b) When being jealousy
(c) When wanting someone already married
(d) When wanting the person with them all the time
9. How does Anne feel about her roles in life?
(a) She deeply desires to maintain them
(b) She is indifferent to them
(c) She resents them
(d) They bore her
10. What does the channeled whelk represent to the author?
(a) Designs of man
(b) An existence of simplicity
(c) Convoluted schemes
(d) Knitting a sock
11. What does she do with the books she has stashed in the bag?
(a) They remain unread
(b) She studies them and writes in them
(c) She did not bring any books with her
(d) She reads them at night
12. How does Anne decorate her beach cottage?
(a) With local handicrafts
(b) She doesn't deorate her cottage
(c) With gifts from the sea
(d) With her paintings
13. What can one do in solitude?
(a) One may feed the spirit
(b) One may let go
(c) One may be quiet
(d) One may concentrate
14. Who does Anne use as an example of the simple life?
(a) Children in an orphanage
(b) Nuns and monks
(c) Her sister
(d) Modern art
15. What is the author's suggestion for renewing a relationship?
(a) Take time to be alone
(b) Have another child
(c) Separate for six months
(d) Start dating someone else for a while
Short Answer Questions
1. How have the author's "roles" in life effected her life?
2. To what does the author compare the inner point of the moon shell?
3. What does the state of ease allow?
4. How does the author view being alone for two weeks?
5. The author compares to the channeled whelk to what of hers?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)