|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What removes the desire to think or read within Anne?
(a) The sun making her sleepy
(b) The exercise from swimming
(c) The nice people around her
(d) The solitude and serenity of the ocean
2. Why does the author believe people often break up a romantic relationship?
(a) Bad sex
(b) Infidelity or too much flirting
(c) People believe a new relationship will solve their problems
(d) Fighting about money and children
3. What does a married woman's concerns keep her from doing?
(a) Being selfish
(b) Having a creative, contemplative or saintly life
(c) Going out with lots of men
(d) Being independent
4. What does the author suggest people living in society are like?
(a) Trees, with branches reaching out to each other
(d) Grains of sand, crowded and gritty
5. What is Anne's main goal?
(a) To publish a lot of books
(b) To obtain enlightenment
(c) To obtain peace
(d) To be rich
6. How do the author feel about clearing her mind and focusing solely on the sea?
(a) It is easy
(b) She thinks she has to do it
(c) It is a difficult task
(d) She doesn't want to do it
7. How is the mindset of the second week at the beach different from the city mindset?
(a) It is blank
(b) It is softer and more playful
(c) It is creative
(d) It is elusive
8. What can one do in solitude?
(a) One may let go
(b) One may feed the spirit
(c) One may concentrate
(d) One may be quiet
9. To whom will the sea not give its gifts?
(a) To children who can't be still
(b) To the greedy or impatient
(c) to criminals
(d) To men
10. What kind of container does she carry to the beach everyday?
(a) A faded straw bag
(b) A leather purse
(c) A terry cloth bag
(d) A canteen
11. What is the author's suggestion for renewing a relationship?
(a) Separate for six months
(b) Have another child
(c) Start dating someone else for a while
(d) Take time to be alone
12. To what does Anne compare saying good-bye?
(a) A sad moment
(b) A happy moment
(c) An amputation
(d) A necessary moment
13. How does Anne decorate her beach cottage?
(a) With her paintings
(b) With gifts from the sea
(c) With local handicrafts
(d) She doesn't deorate her cottage
14. What does Anne say is valid as far as one-and-only moments?
(a) They're valid for children
(b) They're valid if carefully controlled
(d) They're valid for the first five years
15. The author compares to the channeled whelk to what of hers?
(a) Her pendant
(b) The shape of her life
(c) Her family ties
(d) The design on her watchband
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the state of ease allow?
2. What kind of experience does the author say being alone was for her?
3. What does residing by the sea do for the author?
4. What is Anne afraid of when she is alone and feeling peaceful?
5. Why is less time spent caring for the home now possible?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)