|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why might women feel resentful about giving?
(a) Because it cost too much
(b) Because men don't
(c) If it is is without purpose
(d) Because no one else does
2. What does the author believe most people need?
3. What did Anne experience after the good-bye?
(a) Sleeping well
(c) Ghost pain
4. Why is less time spent caring for the home now possible?
(a) A myriad inventions
(b) Men help
(c) Smaller houses
(d) Smaller families
5. What allows a person to give of oneself?
(a) Being a woman
(b) Maintaining health
(c) Being a child
(d) Being selfless
6. How does Anne decorate her beach cottage?
(a) She doesn't deorate her cottage
(b) With local handicrafts
(c) With gifts from the sea
(d) With her paintings
7. What does the author say must be balanced in a woman's life?
(a) Music and quiet
(b) Work and play
(c) Knowledge and ignorance
(d) Solitude and communion
8. What does the channeled whelk represent to the author?
(a) Convoluted schemes
(b) Designs of man
(c) Knitting a sock
(d) An existence of simplicity
9. What does she do with the books she has stashed in the bag?
(a) She reads them at night
(b) She did not bring any books with her
(c) She studies them and writes in them
(d) They remain unread
10. Who does Anne use as an example of the simple life?
(a) Nuns and monks
(b) Modern art
(c) Her sister
(d) Children in an orphanage
11. What does being alone generally suggest in this society?
(a) That one is rejected if alone
(b) That one is special
(c) That one is a genius
(d) That one is from outer space
12. What is the author's suggestion for renewing a relationship?
(a) Start dating someone else for a while
(b) Have another child
(c) Separate for six months
(d) Take time to be alone
13. What does the author suggest people living in society are like?
(a) Trees, with branches reaching out to each other
(c) Grains of sand, crowded and gritty
14. At the beach, what is the first step to achieving simplicity?
(a) Fast with only liquids
(b) Wear a swim suit
(c) Meditate an hour a day
(d) Shed everything unnecessary
15. What is Anne's main goal?
(a) To obtain enlightenment
(b) To publish a lot of books
(c) To obtain peace
(d) To be rich
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author see the architecture of the channeled whelk?
2. How is the mindset of the second week at the beach different from the city mindset?
3. What does residing by the sea do for the author?
4. During the second week, what comes forth in Anne's mind?
5. What does the author say about one and only moments in a relationship?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)