|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say is required to obtain simplicity?
(a) Being single
(b) No family
(c) Simple surroundings
2. What does the author believe most people need?
3. What does Anne believe is possible at the beach as far as shelter is concerned?
(a) A beautiful shelter is necessary for peace
(b) A simple shelter is adequate
(c) One needs no shelter
(d) It has to have a comfortable bed
4. According to the author, what happens to the original essence of a relationship?
(a) Gets buried under the impediments of life
(b) Gets boring
(c) Dies out from hormones
(d) Gets buried under jealousy or insecurity
5. What should women do with some of the time freed up in modern times?
(c) Have a hobby
(d) Use it to feed and nourish the center
6. At the beach, what is the first step to achieving simplicity?
(a) Meditate an hour a day
(b) Shed everything unnecessary
(c) Wear a swim suit
(d) Fast with only liquids
7. What kind of experience does the author say being alone was for her?
8. What does the author say is required of an artist?
(a) To be around a lot of people
(b) To be patient
(c) To not care
(d) To give of self in small drops
9. What does the author learn to appreciate with in her solitude?
(b) Other people
10. What is a double-sunrise shell?
(a) Two shells joined at the center
(b) A shell found a sunrise
(c) A shell with red and orange on both sides
(d) A shell formed from coral
11. How does the author think one's true identity is found?
(a) By losing oneself
(b) By giving of oneself
(c) Having goals
12. What does the state of ease allow?
(a) Her to focus on inner thoughts and observations
(b) For her to talk to others
(c) For her to sleep
(d) For her to relax
13. What kind of container does she carry to the beach everyday?
(a) A faded straw bag
(b) A leather purse
(c) A terry cloth bag
(d) A canteen
14. Why does the author believe people often break up a romantic relationship?
(a) Infidelity or too much flirting
(b) Fighting about money and children
(c) Bad sex
(d) People believe a new relationship will solve their problems
15. What happens to the pencils she carries?
(a) The leads break
(b) They get wet and don't work well
(c) They get dull from use
(d) She loses them
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Anne feel about her roles in life?
2. Who preached against the dangers of multiplicity in the third century?
3. During the second week, what comes forth in Anne's mind?
4. What does living life an on island do for the author's thoughts?
5. What allows a person to give of oneself?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)