|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how long will the author be doing the answer in question #1?
(a) A year
(b) Two weeks
(c) Three days
(d) Two months
2. How do people smile at the beach?
(a) They don't, too sandy with the wind
(c) Like children
3. Why does the author believe people often break up a romantic relationship?
(a) Infidelity or too much flirting
(b) Fighting about money and children
(c) People believe a new relationship will solve their problems
(d) Bad sex
4. What does the author believe people are designed to do?
(a) Have children
(b) Have a purpose
(c) Seek companionship and acceptance
(d) Make money
5. What can one do in solitude?
(a) One may feed the spirit
(b) One may be quiet
(c) One may concentrate
(d) One may let go
6. Why might women feel resentful about giving?
(a) Because it cost too much
(b) Because no one else does
(c) If it is is without purpose
(d) Because men don't
7. What should women do with some of the time freed up in modern times?
(b) Have a hobby
(d) Use it to feed and nourish the center
8. What does being alone generally suggest in this society?
(a) That one is a genius
(b) That one is special
(c) That one is from outer space
(d) That one is rejected if alone
9. What is the author doing at the beginning of the book?
(a) Visiting her children
(b) Taking a vacation
(c) Moving to Europe
(d) Getting married
10. How does Anne decorate her beach cottage?
(a) With gifts from the sea
(b) She doesn't deorate her cottage
(c) With her paintings
(d) With local handicrafts
11. What about the author's life makes it more difficult to achieve simplicity?
(a) She has too many children
(b) Her life is subject to public scrutiny
(c) Her husband is unfaithful
(d) She has to work
12. How does the author see the architecture of the channeled whelk?
(a) It is ugly, but functional
(b) As a seamless work of art
(c) It is haphazard
(d) It is dull
13. What does the author seek to do at the sea?
(a) Get a tan
(b) Lose weight
(c) Meet a man
(d) Free herself from the demands of city life
14. The author compares to the channeled whelk to what of hers?
(a) The design on her watchband
(b) Her pendant
(c) Her family ties
(d) The shape of her life
15. The author says if the shells she finds and writes about are lined up across the top of her desk, they can represent what?
(a) The days of her vacation
(b) The different stages of any relationship
(c) Her children
(d) Her friends
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a moon shell?
2. To what does the author compare the inner point of the moon shell?
3. How does Anne feel about her roles in life?
4. What does the author say everyone wants out of love?
5. What does living life an on island do for the author's thoughts?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)