|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say gets in the way of simplification?
(c) All the details of daily living
2. During the second week, what comes forth in Anne's mind?
(a) Unconscious thoughts and dreams
(b) New book ideas
(c) New knitting patterns
(d) New paintings to do
3. What does residing by the sea do for the author?
(a) Saves her money
(b) Opens a different world
(c) Heals her cuts
(d) Gives her a tan
4. According to the author, what is seen as failure in a relationship?
(a) To not have children
(b) To break up
(c) To not maintain the original pattern
(d) To stay together too long
5. What does the author say about one and only moments in a relationship?
(a) They don't exist
(b) They are to be avoided
(c) They aren't healthy
(d) They are not permanent
6. What does Anne believe is possible at the beach as far as shelter is concerned?
(a) A beautiful shelter is necessary for peace
(b) It has to have a comfortable bed
(c) A simple shelter is adequate
(d) One needs no shelter
7. The author compares to the channeled whelk to what of hers?
(a) The design on her watchband
(b) Her family ties
(c) The shape of her life
(d) Her pendant
8. The author says if the shells she finds and writes about are lined up across the top of her desk, they can represent what?
(a) Her friends
(b) The days of her vacation
(c) Her children
(d) The different stages of any relationship
9. Men, says the author, has more opportunity at work than women to do what?
(a) Talk to people
(b) Earn money
(c) Giving himself creatively
(d) Have an affair
10. What does being alone generally suggest in this society?
(a) That one is from outer space
(b) That one is rejected if alone
(c) That one is a genius
(d) That one is special
11. What is Anne's main goal?
(a) To obtain enlightenment
(b) To be rich
(c) To publish a lot of books
(d) To obtain peace
12. What about the author's life makes it more difficult to achieve simplicity?
(a) Her life is subject to public scrutiny
(b) She has too many children
(c) Her husband is unfaithful
(d) She has to work
13. What casts a powerful spell on Anne?
(a) The sun
(b) The shells
(c) The breeze
(d) The sea
14. Anne says every relationship seems how, at the beginning?
15. What pains and amuses the author about married women and the church?
(a) They have to sit with their husbands
(b) They can't become priests
(c) They don't have time for church
(d) Married women are rarely canonized
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of a relationship is pure, according to the author?
2. What does multiplicity in life lead to, according to the author?
3. How does the author view being alone for two weeks?
4. What does Anne wishes she could do with the cottage?
5. What does the author seek to do at the sea?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)