|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do people smile at the beach?
(a) Like children
(c) They don't, too sandy with the wind
2. What part of a relationship is pure, according to the author?
(a) When eating the other's cooking
(b) After ten years
(c) At the end
(d) The first part
3. How does the author see the architecture of the channeled whelk?
(a) It is dull
(b) As a seamless work of art
(c) It is ugly, but functional
(d) It is haphazard
4. What does multiplicity in life lead to, according to the author?
(a) An interesting life
(c) Being tired all the time
5. To what does Anne compare saying good-bye?
(a) An amputation
(b) A happy moment
(c) A necessary moment
(d) A sad moment
6. What does the author seek to do at the sea?
(a) Meet a man
(b) Get a tan
(c) Lose weight
(d) Free herself from the demands of city life
7. What is the author's suggestion for renewing a relationship?
(a) Have another child
(b) Take time to be alone
(c) Start dating someone else for a while
(d) Separate for six months
8. What does the author believe most people need?
9. Why does the author have to rush in the city?
(a) To get ahead
(b) To accomplish myriad tasks
(c) To run her business
(d) To take her children places
10. What is a channeled whelk?
(a) Where boats come to the harbor
(b) A type of seaweed
(c) A small snail-like creature
(d) A type of coral
11. What does the channeled whelk represent to the author?
(a) An existence of simplicity
(b) Designs of man
(c) Convoluted schemes
(d) Knitting a sock
12. What is the author doing at the beginning of the book?
(a) Visiting her children
(b) Moving to Europe
(c) Getting married
(d) Taking a vacation
13. What does the spell in question #18 do to Anne?
(a) Makes her invent things
(b) Revives the dormant ability to relax
(c) Gives her great ideas for books to write
(d) Gives her the ability to talk to those around her
14. According to the author, what is seen as failure in a relationship?
(a) To break up
(b) To not maintain the original pattern
(c) To not have children
(d) To stay together too long
15. What two actions does the author say are not acceptable paths to simplicity?
(a) Having more than three children
(b) Being famous
(c) Total renunciation or total acceptance of the world
(d) Becoming rich
Short Answer Questions
1. The author compares to the channeled whelk to what of hers?
2. What does the author stress about day to day living?
3. What does the author say the inner point of a moon shell does?
4. From where does the author realize her answers must come?
5. To what does the author compare the inner point of the moon shell?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)