|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the new director of the Florida prison system during Gideon's Supreme Court trial?
(a) Louie L. Wainwright.
(b) Harold Milligan.
(c) Marvin Edelman.
(d) Marvellas Cooke.
2. Who writes a legal brief in support of Gideon after Walter Mondale's letter is circulated?
(a) General Gerald A. Berlin.
(b) General Dwight Eisenhower.
(c) General Johnson Hall.
(d) General George Patton.
3. George Mantz of ____________ admits that his state's courts could soon follow the trend to appoint attorneys in all cases.
4. Who is the young lawyer assigned to defend the state's position in Gideon's case?
(a) Bruce Robert Jacob.
(b) Michael Morris.
(c) Clayton Hall.
(d) Robert Bruce.
5. How might Gideon have known about the Carnley vs. Cochran case?
(d) Law books.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does the Fourteenth Amendment address?
2. Which of the following is true regarding Supreme Court Justices?
3. What is the formal name of Gideon's Supreme Court case?
4. Which are the only two states to stand with Florida on the right to an attorney position?
5. One of the Justices asks Jacob if he believes all the prisoners currently jailed without benefit of an attorney are __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Fortas and Jacob differ in their perceptions of Supreme Court procedure?
2. What is Justice Harlan's simple statement that overturns Betts vs. Brady?
3. What is the next step after the Supreme Court rules in Gideon's favor?
4. What is Justice Black's statement about Betts when he offers the Supreme Court opinion?
5. What form of support does Jacob get to help him defend the state position in the trial?
6. How could Gideon vs. Wainwright overthrow the Betts vs. Brady decision that was enacted just 20 years prior?
7. What change on the Supreme Court bench seems fortunate for Gideon's case?
8. What embarrassing statement does Jacob make in dialogue regarding Gideon representing someone else in court?
9. Who is Bruce Robert Jacob and what is his role in Gideon's Supreme Court trial?
10. What is the impact of the Gideon ruling regarding getting support for attorneys who are appointed to criminal cases?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)