|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the law student who works on research for Fortas?
(a) James Milligan.
(b) John Hart Ely.
(c) John Hardeson.
(d) Michael Collins.
2. What type of payment do most appointed attorneys get?
(a) An hourly fee.
(c) A set fee.
(d) A retainer.
3. George Mantz of ____________ admits that his state's courts could soon follow the trend to appoint attorneys in all cases.
4. What is the name of another case in Florida that is similar to Gideon's regarding right to an attorney?
(a) Carney vs. Collins.
(b) Cromwell vs. Cooley.
(c) Cronin vs. Cochran.
(d) Carnley vs. Cochran.
5. Most prisoners currently jailed without the benefit of an attorney do not have which of the following characteristics that Gideon possesses?
(a) Educational level.
(d) All of these.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Jacob only have evenings and weekends to devote to the states' case against Gideon?
2. Overall, the courts deal with ____________ while the legislature deals with abstraction in large numbers.
3. How might Gideon have known about the Carnley vs. Cochran case?
4. What is the main reason a defendant does not have an attorney?
5. What does Abe Fortas think would be the best way for the Justices to understand Gideon's case?
Short Essay Questions
1. What major points stem from revising the method of assigning attorneys who are not compensated?
2. What is the next step after the Supreme Court rules in Gideon's favor?
3. What are a couple reasons that the Supreme Court works so well in terms of independent thinking?
4. How do Fortas and Jacob differ in their perceptions of Supreme Court procedure?
5. Compare and contrast the legal resources for Jacob representing states' rights and Fortas representing just one man.
6. What does Fortas believe would be the surest way to get assenting opinions from the Justices in Gideon's case?
7. What embarrassing statement does Jacob make in dialogue regarding Gideon representing someone else in court?
8. What flaw does Fortas present in determining decisions on a case-by-case basis?
9. What is Justice Black's statement about Betts when he offers the Supreme Court opinion?
10. What change on the Supreme Court bench seems fortunate for Gideon's case?
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)