|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would be the benefit of a public defender's office?
(a) Knowledge of courts.
(b) Knowledge of judges.
(c) Familiarity with areas.
(d) Better compensation.
2. What can a lay person not be expected to know?
(a) Legal fees.
(b) Supreme Court Justices.
(c) Attorney phone numbers.
(d) Points of law.
3. Attorneys should view questions as _______________________.
(a) Opportunities to persuade.
(b) Necessary evils.
(c) Formalities to be endured.
(d) Learning experiences.
4. What would add to chaos if the Betts rule were to be overturned?
(a) Law schools would have to change curriculum.
(b) Mass filing of appeals from current prisoners.
(c) Media interviews would overwhelm them.
(d) Riots in prisons all across America.
5. Under the Betts rule, who is required to have an attorney?
(a) A person of low intelligence.
(b) An innocent person.
(c) A guilty person.
(d) An indigent person.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a Justice seated during Gideon's Supreme Court case?
2. What did State Judge Walter V. Schaefer of the Illin.ois Court of Illinois assert as a citizen's greatest right?
3. Who is the young lawyer assigned to defend the state's position in Gideon's case?
4. Who was the Florida governor at the time of Gideon vs. Wainwright?
5. Which of the following is true of Gideon's case?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the next step after the Supreme Court rules in Gideon's favor?
2. What is the impact of the Gideon ruling regarding getting support for attorneys who are appointed to criminal cases?
3. Who is Bruce Robert Jacob and what is his role in Gideon's Supreme Court trial?
4. What does John Hart Ely discover about Florida cases while doing research for Gideon's Supreme Court case?
5. What is Jacob's opinion on the retroactive element of any law which may evolve from Gideon's Supreme Court case?
6. What is the premise of the brief written by George D. Mentz of the Alabama Attorney General's office which supports Jacob's case?
7. What could be the reason that the Supreme Court Justices selected Fortas to represent Gideon?
8. What embarrassing statement does Jacob make in dialogue regarding Gideon representing someone else in court?
9. Before hearing Gideon's case, what are the Justices aware of regarding many of the cases they hear?
10. What is Justice Harlan's simple statement that overturns Betts vs. Brady?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)