Final Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Justice makes the point that all the prisoners currently jailed without counsel were entitled to an attorney ________________________.
(a) Under the special circumstances rule.
(b) Because this is America.
(c) Until proven guilty.
(d) Whether they wanted one or not.
2. What did retired Justice Frankfurter say about Gideon vs. Wainwright?
(a) He would have voted in favor of it.
(b) He declined to comment.
(c) He would not have voted for it.
(d) He thought it was a step back for America.
3. What would add to chaos if the Betts rule were to be overturned?
(a) Mass filing of appeals from current prisoners.
(b) Media interviews would overwhelm them.
(c) Riots in prisons all across America.
(d) Law schools would have to change curriculum.
4. Why was the Betts case able to prevail in 1942?
(a) People were more concerned about going to war.
(b) There was no Supreme Court then.
(c) The Civil Rights Law was not voted in.
(d) America wasn't ready for the tenets of Gideon vs. Wainwright at that time.
5. Who is the law student who works on research for Fortas?
(a) James Milligan.
(b) John Hart Ely.
(c) Michael Collins.
(d) John Hardeson.
Short Answer Questions
1. How might Gideon have known about the Carnley vs. Cochran case?
2. Who is the Attorney General in 1963?
3. Which law school does John Hart Ely attend?
4. Which organization submits a brief in support of Gideon's petition?
5. Which of the following is true of Jacobs prior to the Supreme Court case?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)