|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the next issue following the Supreme Court's ruling in Gideon's favor?
2. How many people other than Jacob are on Jacob's law team in the Gideon case?
3. Why was the Betts case able to prevail in 1942?
(a) The Civil Rights Law was not voted in.
(b) There was no Supreme Court then.
(c) America wasn't ready for the tenets of Gideon vs. Wainwright at that time.
(d) People were more concerned about going to war.
4. What can be said about Gideon in that he stuck to the process of filing an appeal?
5. Who writes a legal brief in support of Gideon after Walter Mondale's letter is circulated?
(a) General George Patton.
(b) General Gerald A. Berlin.
(c) General Johnson Hall.
(d) General Dwight Eisenhower.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which are the only two states to stand with Florida on the right to an attorney position?
2. How might Gideon have known about the Carnley vs. Cochran case?
3. What did State Judge Walter V. Schaefer of the Illin.ois Court of Illinois assert as a citizen's greatest right?
4. What is a legal document submitted to the Supreme Court from anyone who may have something helpful to add to a case?
5. One of the Justices asks Jacob if he believes all the prisoners currently jailed without benefit of an attorney are __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What flaw does Fortas present in determining decisions on a case-by-case basis?
2. What is the impact of the Gideon ruling regarding getting support for attorneys who are appointed to criminal cases?
3. What does Fortas believe would be the surest way to get assenting opinions from the Justices in Gideon's case?
4. What major points stem from revising the method of assigning attorneys who are not compensated?
5. What is the next step after the Supreme Court rules in Gideon's favor?
6. What is the premise of the Betts vs. Brady case in 1942?
7. What is the premise of the brief written by George D. Mentz of the Alabama Attorney General's office which supports Jacob's case?
8. Why is Gideon's Supreme Court case called Gideon vs. Wainwright?
9. What is State Judge Walter V. Schaefer's reasoning on why the right to an attorney is greater than all other rights?
10. What is Justice Harlan's simple statement that overturns Betts vs. Brady?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)