|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What "stupid answer" does Jacob give in response to a Justice?
(a) The Justices have not done their due diligence in the case.
(b) Gideon did the crime and he has to do the time.
(c) A judge would not object to a lay person representing someone else.
(d) He did not realize that he would be questioned on some of these issues.
2. Prior to Gideons' Supreme Court case, how many of the nine Justices does Fortas think will rule in his favor?
3. What is the next issue following the Supreme Court's ruling in Gideon's favor?
4. What is the main reason a defendant does not have an attorney?
(a) He is tried before he knows what is going on.
(b) He doesn't understand the gravity of his situation.
(c) He cannot afford one.
(d) He thinks he can do fine on his own.
5. Which of the following is true regarding Supreme Court Justices?
(a) They don't seek re-election and are not indebted to anyone.
(b) All of these.
(c) They are free to disagree.
(d) They are appointed to lifetime terms.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who replaces Justice Frankfurter when he retires?
2. Who is the new director of the Florida prison system during Gideon's Supreme Court trial?
3. One of the Justices asks Jacob if he believes all the prisoners currently jailed without benefit of an attorney are __________________.
4. Why does the right to an attorney issue become even greater on the state level?
5. Walter Mondale of Minnesota wrote to Jacob that all __________________ should have a lawyer.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the author's reply to those who may question whether a case like Gideon's should be managed through legislation or allowed to proceed to the Supreme Court?
2. What does Fortas believe would be the surest way to get assenting opinions from the Justices in Gideon's case?
3. What are a couple reasons that the Supreme Court works so well in terms of independent thinking?
4. What is Justice Black's statement about Betts when he offers the Supreme Court opinion?
5. What could be the reason that the Supreme Court Justices selected Fortas to represent Gideon?
6. What is the impact of the Gideon ruling regarding getting support for attorneys who are appointed to criminal cases?
7. How could Gideon vs. Wainwright overthrow the Betts vs. Brady decision that was enacted just 20 years prior?
8. What flaw does Fortas present in determining decisions on a case-by-case basis?
9. Why is Gideon's Supreme Court case called Gideon vs. Wainwright?
10. How do Fortas and Jacob differ in their perceptions of Supreme Court procedure?
This section contains 1,221 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)