Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Per Hansa refuse to let Beret be known by?
2. Where does Hans Olsa decide to spend the night so that he doesn't get lost in the snowstorm in Book 2, Chapter 4?
3. Tonseten says that the settlers should take names that reflect what?
4. Who does the minister want to baptize?
5. In which direction is Per looking when he dies?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the place of the children in the novel and in pioneer life. We often see in the novel that Per Hansa employs his sons to help promote the family dream. How are the children treated in the novel? How do their characters develop throughout the novel? How would a family with children be more successful as opposed to a family consisting of only a husband and wife? Provide examples.
Essay Topic 2
Giants in the Earth is full of lush description and vivid imagery. Discuss this imagery, using several examples from the book. Where and how does the author use devices such as personification, simile, metaphor, onomatopoeia, etc.? How do they add to the novel? What impact do they have on the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the community of Spring Creek grows over time. Do you think that this is typical of pioneer communities of the time? How were the settlers of Spring Creek so successful when other men and women of the pioneer were not? Explain your answer.
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)