|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the minister want to baptize?
2. What has Per Hansa had to do because of the growth of his farm?
3. Who worries about the strain of divine services on Beret?
4. Whose house does Per Hansa come upon after he is lost in the blizzard with his oxen?
5. Who comes to ask Per Hansa if he will make the trip to find the minister?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme or struggle of man versus himself is present in the novel, specifically through Per Hansa, but it can also be seen in other characters. Discuss this struggle within the novel. How is it present? How does it affect the character involved in the struggle and the other characters in the family or settlement? Provide examples.
Essay Topic 2
Giants in the Earth is full of lush description and vivid imagery. Discuss this imagery, using several examples from the book. Where and how does the author use devices such as personification, simile, metaphor, onomatopoeia, etc.? How do they add to the novel? What impact do they have on the reader?
Essay Topic 3
In a new found community, there are going to be good things that happen within the community and negative things as well. Discuss the positive or successful elements in the settlement on Spring Creek as well as the negative or unfortunate moments. How do they define the characters involved or the settlement itself? Provide examples.
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)