|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tonseten says that the settlers should take names that reflect what?
2. What day is it when Ola and Store-Hans come to tell their father that the seeds have sprouted?
3. What happens two days after Per Hansa plants his wheat crop?
4. When Per Hansa gets lost in the blizzard, what does he begin to have hallucinations of?
5. Who comes to compliment Per Hansa on his wise decision to plant early?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel includes many religious and Biblical aspects whether they were subtle allusions to the Bible or religious sayings or outright preaching and ministry. Discuss the religious aspects of the novel. Which character or characters are most involved in the religious aspects? How is religion or Biblical allusion part of the daily life of the settlers? What part does religion play in their lives? Provide examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Giants in the Earth is full of lush description and vivid imagery. Discuss this imagery, using several examples from the book. Where and how does the author use devices such as personification, simile, metaphor, onomatopoeia, etc.? How do they add to the novel? What impact do they have on the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the community of Spring Creek grows over time. Do you think that this is typical of pioneer communities of the time? How were the settlers of Spring Creek so successful when other men and women of the pioneer were not? Explain your answer.
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)