|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the minister perform divine services?
2. Which of the following is NOT something that Per Hansa tells Torkel Tallaksen to invest his money in?
3. What are the clouds becoming to Beret as she stares into them?
4. What does Sorine do when Hans Olsa returns home during the snowstorm?
5. Where are the settlers when the question of changing their names comes up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick one of the more minor characters in the novel and discuss their character and personality and the way it affects other characters and their place in the community. You can pick from: Tonseten, Kjersti, Sorine, Hans Olsa, or one of the Solum boys. How does this character find his/her place in the community? What is his/her role in the development of the community? Explain using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's success in realistically displaying pioneer life in the mid 1800s. Are there any parts of pioneer life that the author did not discuss? What does this novel teach us about the trials of pioneer life? What do the characters teach us about the value of life and following our dreams?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the place of the children in the novel and in pioneer life. We often see in the novel that Per Hansa employs his sons to help promote the family dream. How are the children treated in the novel? How do their characters develop throughout the novel? How would a family with children be more successful as opposed to a family consisting of only a husband and wife? Provide examples.
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)