Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Per Hansa refuse to let Beret be known by?
2. Where does Hans Olsa decide to spend the night so that he doesn't get lost in the snowstorm in Book 2, Chapter 4?
3. Tonseten says that the settlers should take names that reflect what?
4. Who does the minister want to baptize?
5. In which direction is Per looking when he dies?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's success in realistically displaying pioneer life in the mid 1800s. Are there any parts of pioneer life that the author did not discuss? What does this novel teach us about the trials of pioneer life? What do the characters teach us about the value of life and following our dreams?
Essay Topic 2
The novel includes many religious and Biblical aspects whether they were subtle allusions to the Bible or religious sayings or outright preaching and ministry. Discuss the religious aspects of the novel. Which character or characters are most involved in the religious aspects? How is religion or Biblical allusion part of the daily life of the settlers? What part does religion play in their lives? Provide examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the hardships of pioneer life. What are the hardships faced by the pioneers in the first year? Do the hardships change in subsequent years? Or does the life get any easier? How do the pioneers note their progression or success in their settlements? Explain using examples from the book.
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)