Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Per Hansa refuse to let Beret be known by?
2. Where does Hans Olsa decide to spend the night so that he doesn't get lost in the snowstorm in Book 2, Chapter 4?
3. Tonseten says that the settlers should take names that reflect what?
4. Who does the minister want to baptize?
5. In which direction is Per looking when he dies?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's success in realistically displaying pioneer life in the mid 1800s. Are there any parts of pioneer life that the author did not discuss? What does this novel teach us about the trials of pioneer life? What do the characters teach us about the value of life and following our dreams?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the title of the novel, Giants in the Earth. Who are the "giants" in the earth? What does this label designate? What is the title's relationship to the idea that the Hansa family is used as a means to tell a universal story?
Essay Topic 3
The novel includes many religious and Biblical aspects whether they were subtle allusions to the Bible or religious sayings or outright preaching and ministry. Discuss the religious aspects of the novel. Which character or characters are most involved in the religious aspects? How is religion or Biblical allusion part of the daily life of the settlers? What part does religion play in their lives? Provide examples from the book.
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)