Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Per Hansa refuse to let Beret be known by?
2. Where does Hans Olsa decide to spend the night so that he doesn't get lost in the snowstorm in Book 2, Chapter 4?
3. Tonseten says that the settlers should take names that reflect what?
4. Who does the minister want to baptize?
5. In which direction is Per looking when he dies?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the hardships of pioneer life. What are the hardships faced by the pioneers in the first year? Do the hardships change in subsequent years? Or does the life get any easier? How do the pioneers note their progression or success in their settlements? Explain using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Per Hansa. Is he a sympathetic character? Why or why not? What are his major downfalls? Where does he succeed? How do the aspects of his character guide his actions in the book and ultimately decide his fate? Provide examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's success in realistically displaying pioneer life in the mid 1800s. Are there any parts of pioneer life that the author did not discuss? What does this novel teach us about the trials of pioneer life? What do the characters teach us about the value of life and following our dreams?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)