|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the men realize they must make a trip for more wood in Book 2, Chapter 1?
2. What does Per Hansa think his wife's strange behavior is caused by?
3. Who asks Tonseten to marry a couple for which he still feels guilt over marrying?
4. Where are the settlers when the question of changing their names comes up?
5. What does Per Hansa's newborn baby's middle name mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the style of the novel. Include in your discussion the importance of the title of the chapters, the pacing of the novel, the way the themes are used, and other style elements involved. Provide examples of the author's style and discuss whether the style is effective in this type of novel.
Essay Topic 2
Moving out West and living on the prairie, there are bound to be interactions between Indians and settlers. At times, these can be negative interactions, but there are positive interactions. Do the settlers of Spring Creek have any interaction with the Indians in the novel? Describe these interactions. How do the settlers get along with the Indians? Do you think this was typical of the time? Provide examples of the interactions between settlers and Indians in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the hardships of pioneer life. What are the hardships faced by the pioneers in the first year? Do the hardships change in subsequent years? Or does the life get any easier? How do the pioneers note their progression or success in their settlements? Explain using examples from the book.
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)