|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another name for Peder Seier?
2. Which of the following is NOT something that Per Hansa tells Torkel Tallaksen to invest his money in?
3. How does Per Hansa react to Beret's preaching?
4. Tonseten says that the settlers should take names that reflect what?
5. What is the name of the Indian settlement where Per Hansa travels to buy furs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme or struggle of man versus nature is present in the novel in many ways. Discuss the struggle within the novel. How does nature dictate the success of the men? How does it dictate their daily lives? How are the men successful despite the forces of nature? Explain using examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the hardships of pioneer life. What are the hardships faced by the pioneers in the first year? Do the hardships change in subsequent years? Or does the life get any easier? How do the pioneers note their progression or success in their settlements? Explain using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Isolation and loneliness are important parts of the novel especially in the beginning when the settlers first come to the place where they will live. Discuss the themes of isolation and loneliness in the novel. How are they exhibited in the novel? Are they experienced by any specific characters or are they a universal feeling? How would these themes affect a pioneer family? Provide examples from the book.
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)