|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much can Per Hansa buy furs for at the Indian settlement that sells them?
2. What does Per Hansa find when he goes to check on Beret after harvesting the wheat?
3. What does Per Hansa name his new baby?
4. Where is Per Hansa headed to look for the minister?
5. What does Beret prepare for her husband before he sets off on his journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the hardships of pioneer life. What are the hardships faced by the pioneers in the first year? Do the hardships change in subsequent years? Or does the life get any easier? How do the pioneers note their progression or success in their settlements? Explain using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Giants in the Earth is full of lush description and vivid imagery. Discuss this imagery, using several examples from the book. Where and how does the author use devices such as personification, simile, metaphor, onomatopoeia, etc.? How do they add to the novel? What impact do they have on the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the place of the children in the novel and in pioneer life. We often see in the novel that Per Hansa employs his sons to help promote the family dream. How are the children treated in the novel? How do their characters develop throughout the novel? How would a family with children be more successful as opposed to a family consisting of only a husband and wife? Provide examples.
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)