|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Per Hansa refuse to let Beret be known by?
2. Where does Hans Olsa decide to spend the night so that he doesn't get lost in the snowstorm in Book 2, Chapter 4?
3. Tonseten says that the settlers should take names that reflect what?
4. Who does the minister want to baptize?
5. In which direction is Per looking when he dies?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's success in realistically displaying pioneer life in the mid 1800s. Are there any parts of pioneer life that the author did not discuss? What does this novel teach us about the trials of pioneer life? What do the characters teach us about the value of life and following our dreams?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the community of Spring Creek grows over time. Do you think that this is typical of pioneer communities of the time? How were the settlers of Spring Creek so successful when other men and women of the pioneer were not? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the style of the novel. Include in your discussion the importance of the title of the chapters, the pacing of the novel, the way the themes are used, and other style elements involved. Provide examples of the author's style and discuss whether the style is effective in this type of novel.
This section contains 1,360 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)