|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the minister think about Peder Seier's name?
2. Why does Per Hansa check the ground before he plants?
3. Who becomes frustrated at Per Hansa's refusal to harvest the wheat when others tell him it is time?
4. What does Per Hansa do after he returns home from the Hallings?
5. What has Per Hansa had to do because of the growth of his farm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Per Hansa. Is he a sympathetic character? Why or why not? What are his major downfalls? Where does he succeed? How do the aspects of his character guide his actions in the book and ultimately decide his fate? Provide examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the place of the children in the novel and in pioneer life. We often see in the novel that Per Hansa employs his sons to help promote the family dream. How are the children treated in the novel? How do their characters develop throughout the novel? How would a family with children be more successful as opposed to a family consisting of only a husband and wife? Provide examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the dynamic of husbands and wives in the novel and in pioneer life. How is this dynamic present among the settlers in Spring Creek? What is the relationship between Per Hansa and Beret? Hans Olsa and Sorine? Tonseten and Kjersti? How do these relationships differ? Which of these relationships do you think is the best. Explain using examples from the book.
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)