Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Per Hansa refuse to let Beret be known by?
2. Where does Hans Olsa decide to spend the night so that he doesn't get lost in the snowstorm in Book 2, Chapter 4?
3. Tonseten says that the settlers should take names that reflect what?
4. Who does the minister want to baptize?
5. In which direction is Per looking when he dies?
Discuss how the community of Spring Creek grows over time. Do you think that this is typical of pioneer communities of the time? How were the settlers of Spring Creek so successful when other men and women of the pioneer were not? Explain your answer.
The theme or struggle of man versus himself is present in the novel, specifically through Per Hansa, but it can also be seen in other characters. Discuss this struggle within the novel. How is it present? How does it affect the character involved in the struggle and the other characters in the family or settlement? Provide examples.
Beret Hansa goes through many ups and downs and her emotional struggle is up front for the reader to experience all through the novel. Discuss Beret's emotional state. How does it change? What prompts her depression? How do her emotion stir her actions? How does her emotional state affect the other members of the community? Where is she emotionally by the end of the novel? Provide examples from the book.
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)