|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the settlers have to go to make their claim to the land official?
2. What does Hans Olsa tell Per Hansa he has lost on his journey to their new home?
3. What kind of trees does Per Hansa bring back to plant around the house?
4. Who is the only person in the settlement who seems upset about what Per Hansa did with the stakes?
5. Who helps Per Hansa clean the sick Indian's injury?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the weather in Book 1, Chapter 6. How does Beret feel about the whitewashing? What does it have to do with the weather?
2. Who has a problem with Per Hansa's house? Why? What does this character do when Per Hansa ignores his advice?
3. How does Beret change in the last chapter of the book?
4. What type of business does Per Hansa conduct regarding the furs from the Indians?
5. How does Beret find out about the name stakes that Per Hansa removes? What is her opinion of the event?
6. Describe what is happening when the locusts come to the settlement. What is the reaction of the settlers?
7. What business proposition does Torkel Tallaksen present to Per Hansa? What is Per Hansa's response?
8. Why does Beret begin packing up the family's possessions in a trunk while Per Hansa is away at town in Book 1, Chapter 5?
9. How does Beret come to attack her boys with a switch in Book 1, Chapter 5? How do they react and what do they tell their father about the source of the red welts left by the switch?
10. How do the men convince the Solum boys to stay in Spring Creek for the winter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the style of the novel. Include in your discussion the importance of the title of the chapters, the pacing of the novel, the way the themes are used, and other style elements involved. Provide examples of the author's style and discuss whether the style is effective in this type of novel.
Essay Topic 2
Giants in the Earth is full of lush description and vivid imagery. Discuss this imagery, using several examples from the book. Where and how does the author use devices such as personification, simile, metaphor, onomatopoeia, etc.? How do they add to the novel? What impact do they have on the reader?
Essay Topic 3
In a new found community, there are going to be good things that happen within the community and negative things as well. Discuss the positive or successful elements in the settlement on Spring Creek as well as the negative or unfortunate moments. How do they define the characters involved or the settlement itself? Provide examples.
This section contains 1,466 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)