|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Hans Olsa's daughter?
2. What does Per Hansa find on his plot of land when he first goes to inspect it?
3. Who tells Beret about the argument between the settlers of Spring Creek and the men of the large caravan?
4. What does the name Store-Hans mean?
5. Where are the four men, the first small caravan to visit the settlement, from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Per Hansa go to the Indian camp in Book 1, Chapter 3? What does he discover once he gets there?
2. In Book 1, Chapter 4, Per Hansa is surveying his property and finds wooden stakes in the ground. Where does Per find the stakes, what do they mean, and how does he react to this discovery?
3. What is the Hansa family doing as the novel opens? Why?
4. Describe Per Hansa's interaction with the Indians in Book 1, Chapter 3. Why do you think he is so concerned about the ailing chief?
5. What happens to Beret after she comes to know the minister and after he leaves?
6. What is Beret Hansa's emotional/mental state in Book 1, Chapter 1 of the novel? Why?
7. Why do the Solum boys want to travel back East for the winter? What do they ask of Per Hansa and what is his reaction?
8. What happens to the rest of the party that the Hansa family was traveling with?
9. The second group of visitors to arrive on Spring Creek is a large caravan of Irish frontiersmen and women. What is the controversy between the group of Irish folks and the settlers of Spring Creek? How is it resolved?
10. What is Beret's reaction when the minister tries to baptize Peder Seier? Explain her reaction.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the title of the novel, Giants in the Earth. Who are the "giants" in the earth? What does this label designate? What is the title's relationship to the idea that the Hansa family is used as a means to tell a universal story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the dynamic of husbands and wives in the novel and in pioneer life. How is this dynamic present among the settlers in Spring Creek? What is the relationship between Per Hansa and Beret? Hans Olsa and Sorine? Tonseten and Kjersti? How do these relationships differ? Which of these relationships do you think is the best. Explain using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Moving out West and living on the prairie, there are bound to be interactions between Indians and settlers. At times, these can be negative interactions, but there are positive interactions. Do the settlers of Spring Creek have any interaction with the Indians in the novel? Describe these interactions. How do the settlers get along with the Indians? Do you think this was typical of the time? Provide examples of the interactions between settlers and Indians in the novel.
This section contains 1,454 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)