|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what nationality are the four men of the first small caravan to visit the settlement?
2. Who helps Per Hansa clean the sick Indian's injury?
3. Which of the following do the men bring back from their trip to town for Per Hansa?
4. By what means is the Hansa family traveling?
5. What town does Per Hansa travel to in Book 1, Chapter 5 to get supplies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the first group of visitors, strangers passing through on their way to settle further west, to the Spring Creek Settlement affect the settlers of Spring Creek?
2. What is the Hansa family doing as the novel opens? Why?
3. What does Per Hansa find towards the end of Book 1, Chapter 1? Why is it important and what does it mean for the family?
4. In the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 2, we see Hans Olsa at work. What is he busy doing and why does he keep getting distracted?
5. In Book 1, Chapter 4, Per Hansa is surveying his property and finds wooden stakes in the ground. Where does Per find the stakes, what do they mean, and how does he react to this discovery?
6. What does the woman who has been tied in the back of the wagon do while she is at Per Hansa's house?
7. In Book 1, Chapter 6, we get a glimpse into the mind of Beret Hansa. Why does Beret consider her life at the settlement as a punishment from God?
8. What happens to Beret after she comes to know the minister and after he leaves?
9. Why does Beret agree with Per Hansa's plans for the house? Does she explain this reasoning to her husband? Why or why not?
10. What is Beret's reaction when the minister tries to baptize Peder Seier? Explain her reaction.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Per Hansa. Is he a sympathetic character? Why or why not? What are his major downfalls? Where does he succeed? How do the aspects of his character guide his actions in the book and ultimately decide his fate? Provide examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the style of the novel. Include in your discussion the importance of the title of the chapters, the pacing of the novel, the way the themes are used, and other style elements involved. Provide examples of the author's style and discuss whether the style is effective in this type of novel.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the title of the novel, Giants in the Earth. Who are the "giants" in the earth? What does this label designate? What is the title's relationship to the idea that the Hansa family is used as a means to tell a universal story?
This section contains 1,354 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)