|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is most upset that Rosie is missing?
2. What is Per Hansa's purpose for buying the twine and knitting a net?
3. What chore does Per Hansa give to Ole while he is away at town?
4. Why does Per Hans walk so far ahead of the caravan?
5. What is the first crop that Per Hansa wants to plant on his land?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is some of Beret's strange behavior that Per Hansa shares with the minister?
2. Describe what happens to Per Hansa when he decides to go on a trip with the men using his oxen and gets lost in a blizzard.
3. From the exchange between Tonseten and Hans Olsa in the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 2, what can you gather is their opinion of Per Hansa?
4. How does the first group of visitors, strangers passing through on their way to settle further west, to the Spring Creek Settlement affect the settlers of Spring Creek?
5. Why does Beret agree with Per Hansa's plans for the house? Does she explain this reasoning to her husband? Why or why not?
6. In Book 1, Chapter 5, a group of settlers comes upon the Spring Creek settlement and, as Per Hansa and the other men are gone, it is left to Tonseten to greet them. What is their nationality? What is Tonseten's reaction to them and why?
7. What do the settlers discuss changing their names to? What name does Per refuse and what name does he decide would be a good name for his family?
8. What is the story of the man and woman who come to Spring Creek with the woman tied up in the wagon?
9. Why does Tonseten need to talk to the minister in private?
10. What is Beret's reaction when the minister tries to baptize Peder Seier? Explain her reaction.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the hardships of pioneer life. What are the hardships faced by the pioneers in the first year? Do the hardships change in subsequent years? Or does the life get any easier? How do the pioneers note their progression or success in their settlements? Explain using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the place of the children in the novel and in pioneer life. We often see in the novel that Per Hansa employs his sons to help promote the family dream. How are the children treated in the novel? How do their characters develop throughout the novel? How would a family with children be more successful as opposed to a family consisting of only a husband and wife? Provide examples.
Essay Topic 3
The theme or struggle of man versus man is also present in the novel usually involving the men in the settlement versus men outside the settlement, but there are also struggles within the settlement as well. Discuss the struggles within the novel. How do the men deal with these struggles and how do they get past them? What lessons are learned through these struggles and how do they affect the settlement? Explain using examples.
This section contains 2,465 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)