|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Per Hans walk so far ahead of the caravan?
2. What kind of trees does Per Hansa bring back to plant around the house?
3. ***Which of the following is NOT one of the items that Per Hansa barters for on his visit to town in Book 1, Chapter 5?
4. Of what nationality is the large caravan that was the second to arrive at Spring Creek?
5. What does Beret trip over as she leaves the house after a fight with Per Hansa, at the end of Book 1, Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. The second group of visitors to arrive on Spring Creek is a large caravan of Irish frontiersmen and women. What is the controversy between the group of Irish folks and the settlers of Spring Creek? How is it resolved?
2. What is Beret's demeanor after she gives birth to Peder Seier?
3. What happens to the Irish frontiersmen after their fight with the settlers of Spring Creek over the land?
4. Who goes to look for the cattle? What happens when this character returns?
5. Describe the weather in Book 1, Chapter 6. How does Beret feel about the whitewashing? What does it have to do with the weather?
6. What is the Hansa family doing as the novel opens? Why?
7. Describe the Hansa family.
8. How do the men convince the Solum boys to stay in Spring Creek for the winter?
9. What are the hardships of pioneer life as described in the beginning of Book 2, Chapter 4?
10. Why do the Solum boys want to travel back East for the winter? What do they ask of Per Hansa and what is his reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Giants in the Earth is full of lush description and vivid imagery. Discuss this imagery, using several examples from the book. Where and how does the author use devices such as personification, simile, metaphor, onomatopoeia, etc.? How do they add to the novel? What impact do they have on the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the dynamic of husbands and wives in the novel and in pioneer life. How is this dynamic present among the settlers in Spring Creek? What is the relationship between Per Hansa and Beret? Hans Olsa and Sorine? Tonseten and Kjersti? How do these relationships differ? Which of these relationships do you think is the best. Explain using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
The novel includes many religious and Biblical aspects whether they were subtle allusions to the Bible or religious sayings or outright preaching and ministry. Discuss the religious aspects of the novel. Which character or characters are most involved in the religious aspects? How is religion or Biblical allusion part of the daily life of the settlers? What part does religion play in their lives? Provide examples from the book.
This section contains 1,333 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)