|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the interpreter in the conversation between the men of the large caravan and the settlers of Spring Creek?
2. What is the name of Kjersti's cow?
3. Who does Per Hansa take with him to meet the Indians?
4. What is Per Hansa's purpose for buying the twine and knitting a net?
5. What does the name Store-Hans mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. The second group of visitors to arrive on Spring Creek is a large caravan of Irish frontiersmen and women. What is the controversy between the group of Irish folks and the settlers of Spring Creek? How is it resolved?
2. What is some of Beret's strange behavior that Per Hansa shares with the minister?
3. What happens to Hans Olsa in the final chapter of the book?
4. What happens after Per Hansa plants his seeds in the ground in Book 2, Chapter 2? How does Per react?
5. What happens to the cows of the settlement toward the end of Book 1, Chapter 3? What is the reaction of the settlers?
6. What are the hardships of pioneer life as described in the beginning of Book 2, Chapter 4?
7. How does Beret find out about the name stakes that Per Hansa removes? What is her opinion of the event?
8. What happens to the rest of the party that the Hansa family was traveling with?
9. What happens to the Irish frontiersmen after their fight with the settlers of Spring Creek over the land?
10. Who goes to look for the cattle? What happens when this character returns?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Giants in the Earth is full of lush description and vivid imagery. Discuss this imagery, using several examples from the book. Where and how does the author use devices such as personification, simile, metaphor, onomatopoeia, etc.? How do they add to the novel? What impact do they have on the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the dynamic of husbands and wives in the novel and in pioneer life. How is this dynamic present among the settlers in Spring Creek? What is the relationship between Per Hansa and Beret? Hans Olsa and Sorine? Tonseten and Kjersti? How do these relationships differ? Which of these relationships do you think is the best. Explain using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
The theme or struggle of man versus man is also present in the novel usually involving the men in the settlement versus men outside the settlement, but there are also struggles within the settlement as well. Discuss the struggles within the novel. How do the men deal with these struggles and how do they get past them? What lessons are learned through these struggles and how do they affect the settlement? Explain using examples.
This section contains 1,418 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)