|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of Giants of the Earth?
2. As the novel opens, what time of day is it?
3. Where do the settlers wait for Per Hansa to return from searching for the cows?
4. What is it that the settlers are particularly afraid of?
5. What is the name on the stake that Per Hansa finds in the ground at Hans Olsa's southwest corner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Per Hansa do with the wooden stakes that he discovers? Why? What accounts for the change in Per's demeanor during this time?
2. How does the first group of visitors, strangers passing through on their way to settle further west, to the Spring Creek Settlement affect the settlers of Spring Creek?
3. What is the minister's response to Per after he tells the minister his concerns about Beret?
4. Why does Per Hansa take a trip to the Sioux River? What does he bring back with him?
5. In the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 2, we see Hans Olsa at work. What is he busy doing and why does he keep getting distracted?
6. What happens to Beret after she comes to know the minister and after he leaves?
7. Describe Per Hansa's interaction with the Indians in Book 1, Chapter 3. Why do you think he is so concerned about the ailing chief?
8. Why don't the neighbors want to visit the Hansa house?
9. What does Per Hansa find towards the end of Book 1, Chapter 1? Why is it important and what does it mean for the family?
10. What is the story of the man and woman who come to Spring Creek with the woman tied up in the wagon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Isolation and loneliness are important parts of the novel especially in the beginning when the settlers first come to the place where they will live. Discuss the themes of isolation and loneliness in the novel. How are they exhibited in the novel? Are they experienced by any specific characters or are they a universal feeling? How would these themes affect a pioneer family? Provide examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the style of the novel. Include in your discussion the importance of the title of the chapters, the pacing of the novel, the way the themes are used, and other style elements involved. Provide examples of the author's style and discuss whether the style is effective in this type of novel.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the settlers experience a fear of something so the theme of fear is a prevalent theme in the novel. Discuss the theme of fear. How is it present in the novel? What characters exhibit fear? What are the various fears that are expressed by the members of the settlement? How does the fear of the settlers affect them in the novel? Provide examples from the book.
This section contains 1,568 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)