|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the members of the large caravan, who had decided to settle close to Spring Creek, come to Per Hansa's farm?
2. Of what nationality is the large caravan that was the second to arrive at Spring Creek?
3. What does the injured Indian give Per Hansa in exchange for helping him?
4. Who is the only person in the settlement who seems upset about what Per Hansa did with the stakes?
5. What chore does Per Hansa give to Ole while he is away at town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the settlers discuss changing their names to? What name does Per refuse and what name does he decide would be a good name for his family?
2. The second group of visitors to arrive on Spring Creek is a large caravan of Irish frontiersmen and women. What is the controversy between the group of Irish folks and the settlers of Spring Creek? How is it resolved?
3. Describe the Hansa family.
4. What is Beret's demeanor after she gives birth to Peder Seier?
5. What is Beret's attitude towards Per Hansa's success as a businessman? How does he feel about her attitude?
6. Why does Tonseten need to talk to the minister in private?
7. Who goes to look for the cattle? What happens when this character returns?
8. What does the woman who has been tied in the back of the wagon do while she is at Per Hansa's house?
9. What happens to the cows of the settlement toward the end of Book 1, Chapter 3? What is the reaction of the settlers?
10. What are the hardships of pioneer life as described in the beginning of Book 2, Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the community of Spring Creek grows over time. Do you think that this is typical of pioneer communities of the time? How were the settlers of Spring Creek so successful when other men and women of the pioneer were not? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the hardships of pioneer life. What are the hardships faced by the pioneers in the first year? Do the hardships change in subsequent years? Or does the life get any easier? How do the pioneers note their progression or success in their settlements? Explain using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the title of the novel, Giants in the Earth. Who are the "giants" in the earth? What does this label designate? What is the title's relationship to the idea that the Hansa family is used as a means to tell a universal story?
This section contains 1,404 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)