|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What chore does Per Hansa give to Ole while he is away at town?
2. Why do the men have to take a trip to town in the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 3?
3. What does Beret make for breakfast using the flour before Per goes to see the Hallings?
4. Why do the members of the large caravan, who had decided to settle close to Spring Creek, come to Per Hansa's farm?
5. What does Beret attack her boys with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the rest of the party that the Hansa family was traveling with?
2. Why is Per Hansa left behind when the other men travel to town? How does he react to this?
3. What do the settlers discuss changing their names to? What name does Per refuse and what name does he decide would be a good name for his family?
4. How do the men convince the Solum boys to stay in Spring Creek for the winter?
5. What happens to the Irish frontiersmen after their fight with the settlers of Spring Creek over the land?
6. Describe Per Hansa's plan for his house.
7. Why is Beret so afraid when Per Hansa leaves the settlement to go on trips?
8. What does Per Hansa find towards the end of Book 1, Chapter 1? Why is it important and what does it mean for the family?
9. What does Per Hansa do with the wooden stakes that he discovers? Why? What accounts for the change in Per's demeanor during this time?
10. What happens to Beret after she comes to know the minister and after he leaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Giants in the Earth is full of lush description and vivid imagery. Discuss this imagery, using several examples from the book. Where and how does the author use devices such as personification, simile, metaphor, onomatopoeia, etc.? How do they add to the novel? What impact do they have on the reader?
Essay Topic 2
The theme or struggle of man versus man is also present in the novel usually involving the men in the settlement versus men outside the settlement, but there are also struggles within the settlement as well. Discuss the struggles within the novel. How do the men deal with these struggles and how do they get past them? What lessons are learned through these struggles and how do they affect the settlement? Explain using examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the style of the novel. Include in your discussion the importance of the title of the chapters, the pacing of the novel, the way the themes are used, and other style elements involved. Provide examples of the author's style and discuss whether the style is effective in this type of novel.
This section contains 1,467 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)