|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What town does Per Hansa travel to in Book 1, Chapter 5 to get supplies?
2. Who is the only person in the settlement who seems upset about what Per Hansa did with the stakes?
3. What does Per Hansa find on his plot of land when he first goes to inspect it?
4. By what means is the Hansa family traveling?
5. Which of the following is NOT a type of seed that Beret brought to plant in addition to the main crop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Per Hansa go to the Indian camp in Book 1, Chapter 3? What does he discover once he gets there?
2. What are the hardships of pioneer life as described in the beginning of Book 2, Chapter 4?
3. In Book 1, Chapter 5, what does Per Hansa discover in Worthington that so delights him? How does he come upon it and what does he decide to do?
4. What is some of Beret's strange behavior that Per Hansa shares with the minister?
5. What happens to Beret after she comes to know the minister and after he leaves?
6. Why does Beret begin packing up the family's possessions in a trunk while Per Hansa is away at town in Book 1, Chapter 5?
7. Describe the Hansa family.
8. How does Beret come to attack her boys with a switch in Book 1, Chapter 5? How do they react and what do they tell their father about the source of the red welts left by the switch?
9. Why is Per Hansa left behind when the other men travel to town? How does he react to this?
10. What happens after Per Hansa plants his seeds in the ground in Book 2, Chapter 2? How does Per react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Beret Hansa goes through many ups and downs and her emotional struggle is up front for the reader to experience all through the novel. Discuss Beret's emotional state. How does it change? What prompts her depression? How do her emotion stir her actions? How does her emotional state affect the other members of the community? Where is she emotionally by the end of the novel? Provide examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the settlers experience a fear of something so the theme of fear is a prevalent theme in the novel. Discuss the theme of fear. How is it present in the novel? What characters exhibit fear? What are the various fears that are expressed by the members of the settlement? How does the fear of the settlers affect them in the novel? Provide examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
The men and the women in the novel seem to have very separate and distinct roles in the novel. Describe the different roles in the novel. What are the roles of the men? Are these roles of typical pioneer men? What are the roles of the women? Are these roles of typical pioneer women? How are the men and women separated or characterized in the novel? Provide examples from the book.
This section contains 1,422 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)