|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beret attack her boys with?
2. What does Per Hansa ask the Indians for?
3. How many men are in the first group of Norwegian settlers that come to Spring Creek?
4. What animal does Tonseten say he manages to hunt and kill using his crowbar?
5. Where does the journey of the Hansa family begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Per Hansa do with the wooden stakes that he discovers? Why? What accounts for the change in Per's demeanor during this time?
2. What type of business does Per Hansa conduct regarding the furs from the Indians?
3. What do Hans Olsa, Tonseten and Harry Solum bring back from their trip to town? What is the atmosphere of the settlement when the men return?
4. What business proposition does Torkel Tallaksen present to Per Hansa? What is Per Hansa's response?
5. Why is Per Hansa left behind when the other men travel to town? How does he react to this?
6. What happens to Beret after she comes to know the minister and after he leaves?
7. Who has a problem with Per Hansa's house? Why? What does this character do when Per Hansa ignores his advice?
8. What do the settlers discuss changing their names to? What name does Per refuse and what name does he decide would be a good name for his family?
9. How does Beret find out about the name stakes that Per Hansa removes? What is her opinion of the event?
10. What is Beret Hansa's emotional/mental state in Book 1, Chapter 1 of the novel? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel includes many religious and Biblical aspects whether they were subtle allusions to the Bible or religious sayings or outright preaching and ministry. Discuss the religious aspects of the novel. Which character or characters are most involved in the religious aspects? How is religion or Biblical allusion part of the daily life of the settlers? What part does religion play in their lives? Provide examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
The theme or struggle of man versus man is also present in the novel usually involving the men in the settlement versus men outside the settlement, but there are also struggles within the settlement as well. Discuss the struggles within the novel. How do the men deal with these struggles and how do they get past them? What lessons are learned through these struggles and how do they affect the settlement? Explain using examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the dynamic of husbands and wives in the novel and in pioneer life. How is this dynamic present among the settlers in Spring Creek? What is the relationship between Per Hansa and Beret? Hans Olsa and Sorine? Tonseten and Kjersti? How do these relationships differ? Which of these relationships do you think is the best. Explain using examples from the book.
This section contains 1,645 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)