|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the name Store-Hans mean?
(a) Little Hans.
(b) Big Hans.
(c) Helpful hands.
(d) Little hands.
2. ***Which of the following is NOT one of the items that Per Hansa barters for on his visit to town in Book 1, Chapter 5?
(c) A cow.
3. What is the name on the stake that Per Hansa finds in the ground at Tonseten's southwest corner?
4. How many children are in the Hansa family?
5. Why do the members of the large caravan, who had decided to settle close to Spring Creek, come to Per Hansa's farm?
(a) To demand he leave the settlement.
(b) To buy potatoes.
(c) To sell some whiskey.
(d) To borrow farming equipment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Tonseten say he manages to hunt and kill using his crowbar?
2. Which of the following is NOT a type of seed that Beret brought to plant in addition to the main crop?
3. Who finds the ducks on the prairie?
4. What does Per Hansa find on his plot of land when he first goes to inspect it?
5. What is the date on which Per Hansa receives a deed to the property he has claimed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the arrival of the minister and his physical appearance.
2. Why does Beret begin packing up the family's possessions in a trunk while Per Hansa is away at town in Book 1, Chapter 5?
3. What is Beret's reaction when the minister tries to baptize Peder Seier? Explain her reaction.
4. Why is Per Hansa left behind when the other men travel to town? How does he react to this?
5. What happens to the cows of the settlement toward the end of Book 1, Chapter 3? What is the reaction of the settlers?
6. Why don't the neighbors want to visit the Hansa house?
7. In Book 1, Chapter 5, what does Per Hansa discover in Worthington that so delights him? How does he come upon it and what does he decide to do?
8. How does Beret come to attack her boys with a switch in Book 1, Chapter 5? How do they react and what do they tell their father about the source of the red welts left by the switch?
9. Who has a problem with Per Hansa's house? Why? What does this character do when Per Hansa ignores his advice?
10. What is some of Beret's strange behavior that Per Hansa shares with the minister?
This section contains 1,348 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)