|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What task does Per Hansa give to Ola when he returns from town in Book 1, Chapter 5?
(a) To hunt for bears.
(b) To chop wood.
(c) To feed the horse.
(d) To knit the net.
2. Who does Per Hansa take with him to meet the Indians?
(a) Hans Olsa.
(b) Sam Solum.
3. Why do the men have to take a trip to town in the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 3?
(a) To get people to join the settlement.
(b) To buy more seeds.
(c) To replenish the food supply.
(d) To gather wood.
4. What is it that the settlers are particularly afraid of?
(a) Indian encounters.
(c) Losing their children.
5. Where do the boys tell Per Hansa that the red welts on their bodies came from?
(a) They got into poison ivy.
(b) They fell off the roof.
(c) They were fighting.
(d) Beret struck them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Beret Hansa remember the family landed when they crossed the ocean from Norway?
2. Which of the following do the men bring back from their trip to town for Per Hansa?
3. What is the name on the stake that Per Hansa finds in the ground at Tonseten's southwest corner?
4. Who is the only person in the settlement who seems upset about what Per Hansa did with the stakes?
5. What does Beret attack her boys with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the hardships of pioneer life as described in the beginning of Book 2, Chapter 4?
2. What is the Hansa family doing as the novel opens? Why?
3. What is the story of the man and woman who come to Spring Creek with the woman tied up in the wagon?
4. How does Per Hansa die? In what position is he found?
5. What is Beret's demeanor after she gives birth to Peder Seier?
6. Why do the Solum boys want to travel back East for the winter? What do they ask of Per Hansa and what is his reaction?
7. Who has a problem with Per Hansa's house? Why? What does this character do when Per Hansa ignores his advice?
8. What happens to Hans Olsa in the final chapter of the book?
9. Why does Beret begin packing up the family's possessions in a trunk while Per Hansa is away at town in Book 1, Chapter 5?
10. What are the effects of the winter of 1880-1881 on the settlement at Spring Creek?
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)