|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What chore does Per Hansa give to Ole while he is away at town?
(a) Barter for lumber.
(b) Mow the lawn.
(c) Chop wood.
(d) Hunt ducks.
2. What is the date on which Per Hansa receives a deed to the property he has claimed?
(a) June 6, 1873.
(b) July 4, 1776.
(c) June 21, 1892.
(d) January 26, 1903.
3. What animal does Tonseten actually manage to hunt and kill using his crowbar?
(a) A duck.
(b) A deer.
(c) A bear.
(d) A badger.
4. What is the name on the stake that Per Hansa finds in the ground at Hans Olsa's southwest corner?
(b) John Wright.
(c) Joe Gill.
(d) H. Olsen.
5. What does the place where the ducks live remind Per Hansa of?
(a) The swamps of New York.
(b) The lakes of Norway.
(c) The ponds in Filmore County.
(d) The bird cliffs in Finmarken.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name on the stake that Per Hansa finds in the ground at Tonseten's southwest corner?
2. How much does the Tronder woman charge Per Hansa for borrowing her bull for a year?
3. What does Beret trip over as she leaves the house after a fight with Per Hansa, at the end of Book 1, Chapter 4?
4. Why does Per Hansa leave the camp in the middle of the night in Book 1, Chapter 1?
5. What is the name of Hans Olsa's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the settlers discuss changing their names to? What name does Per refuse and what name does he decide would be a good name for his family?
2. How do the men convince the Solum boys to stay in Spring Creek for the winter?
3. Why is Beret so afraid when Per Hansa leaves the settlement to go on trips?
4. Describe what happens to Per Hansa when he decides to go on a trip with the men using his oxen and gets lost in a blizzard.
5. How does Beret find out about the name stakes that Per Hansa removes? What is her opinion of the event?
6. What happens to the Irish frontiersmen after their fight with the settlers of Spring Creek over the land?
7. Why is Per Hansa left behind when the other men travel to town? How does he react to this?
8. What happens to the cows of the settlement toward the end of Book 1, Chapter 3? What is the reaction of the settlers?
9. What happens to Beret after she comes to know the minister and after he leaves?
10. What is the Hansa family doing as the novel opens? Why?
This section contains 1,329 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)