|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Hans Olsa's daughter?
2. What does the place where the ducks live remind Per Hansa of?
(a) The lakes of Norway.
(b) The bird cliffs in Finmarken.
(c) The ponds in Filmore County.
(d) The swamps of New York.
3. Who finds the ducks on the prairie?
(a) And-Ongen and Store-Hans.
(b) Store-Hans and Ola.
(c) Beret and Kjersti.
(d) Per Hansa and Hans Olsa.
4. What does Beret make for breakfast using the flour before Per goes to see the Hallings?
5. Where do the boys tell Per Hansa that the red welts on their bodies came from?
(a) They got into poison ivy.
(b) They were fighting.
(c) They fell off the roof.
(d) Beret struck them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Kjersti's cow?
2. As the novel opens, what time of day is it?
3. What is the date on which Per Hansa receives a deed to the property he has claimed?
4. Which of the following do the men bring back from their trip to town for Per Hansa?
5. Who in Per Hansa's family believes the family should travel back east for the winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Hansa family's caravan.
2. What happens to Beret after she comes to know the minister and after he leaves?
3. Why does Beret begin packing up the family's possessions in a trunk while Per Hansa is away at town in Book 1, Chapter 5?
4. In Book 1, Chapter 4, Per Hansa is surveying his property and finds wooden stakes in the ground. Where does Per find the stakes, what do they mean, and how does he react to this discovery?
5. How do the men convince the Solum boys to stay in Spring Creek for the winter?
6. Describe the arrival of the minister and his physical appearance.
7. What are the hardships of pioneer life as described in the beginning of Book 2, Chapter 4?
8. In the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 2, we see Hans Olsa at work. What is he busy doing and why does he keep getting distracted?
9. Describe Per Hansa's plan for his house.
10. From the exchange between Tonseten and Hans Olsa in the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 2, what can you gather is their opinion of Per Hansa?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)