|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the journey of the Hansa family begin?
2. How many wagons does the large caravan that was the second to arrive at Spring Creek consist of?
3. Who is Per Hansa?
(a) The main female character of the book.
(b) The main family's oldest child.
(c) The main male character of the book.
(d) A shopkeeper who helps the family with supplies.
4. What is the first crop that Per Hansa wants to plant on his land?
5. Which of the following does NOT describe Tonseten?
(b) Red beard.
(c) Rosy cheeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what nationality is the large caravan that was the second to arrive at Spring Creek?
2. Who finds the ducks on the prairie?
3. Who is most upset that Rosie is missing?
4. What does the place where the ducks live remind Per Hansa of?
5. Which of the following is NOT something that Per brings back with him in addition to lost cows that had wandered off?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book 1, Chapter 5, a group of settlers comes upon the Spring Creek settlement and, as Per Hansa and the other men are gone, it is left to Tonseten to greet them. What is their nationality? What is Tonseten's reaction to them and why?
2. In Book 1, Chapter 5, what does Per Hansa discover in Worthington that so delights him? How does he come upon it and what does he decide to do?
3. What is Beret's reaction when the minister tries to baptize Peder Seier? Explain her reaction.
4. Why does Per Hansa go to the Indian camp in Book 1, Chapter 3? What does he discover once he gets there?
5. What is the Hansa family doing as the novel opens? Why?
6. What do the settlers do to try to help Hans Olsa when he is on his death bed?
7. The second group of visitors to arrive on Spring Creek is a large caravan of Irish frontiersmen and women. What is the controversy between the group of Irish folks and the settlers of Spring Creek? How is it resolved?
8. Why are the new people that come upon the Spring Creek settlement in Book 1, Chapter 5 reluctant to stay there? What is Tonseten's response?
9. What happens to Beret after she comes to know the minister and after he leaves?
10. What type of business does Per Hansa conduct regarding the furs from the Indians?
This section contains 1,339 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)