|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Per Hansa send down to the creek to look for the missing cows?
(a) Hans Olsa.
2. Who is the author of Giants of the Earth?
(a) E. O. Hansa.
(b) O. E. Rölvaag.
(c) R. O. Elvög.
(d) R. E. Olefsön.
3. How do the settlers celebrate the safe return of the men from town?
(a) Have a big dinner.
(b) Drink liquor.
(d) Exchange gifts.
4. By what means is the Hansa family traveling?
(c) Covered wagon.
5. What type of injury does the sick Indian have?
(a) A hand wound.
(b) A torn muscle.
(c) A head wound.
(d) A broken leg.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Beret Hansa remember the family landed when they crossed the ocean from Norway?
2. What is it that the settlers are particularly afraid of?
3. Why do the men have to take a trip to town in the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 3?
4. What does Beret trip over as she leaves the house after a fight with Per Hansa, at the end of Book 1, Chapter 4?
5. Who finds the ducks on the prairie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of business does Per Hansa conduct regarding the furs from the Indians?
2. Who has a problem with Per Hansa's house? Why? What does this character do when Per Hansa ignores his advice?
3. What is Beret's reaction when the minister tries to baptize Peder Seier? Explain her reaction.
4. What does Per Hansa do with the wooden stakes that he discovers? Why? What accounts for the change in Per's demeanor during this time?
5. What happens to the Irish frontiersmen after their fight with the settlers of Spring Creek over the land?
6. Describe the Hansa family.
7. What do the settlers do to try to help Hans Olsa when he is on his death bed?
8. Describe Per Hansa's plan for his house.
9. What happens to the rest of the party that the Hansa family was traveling with?
10. Why does Per Hansa take a trip to the Sioux River? What does he bring back with him?
This section contains 1,473 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)