|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a type of seed that Beret brought to plant in addition to the main crop?
2. Where are the four men, the first small caravan to visit the settlement, from?
(b) West Virginia.
3. By what means is the Hansa family traveling?
(a) Covered wagon.
4. Where is the Hansa family headed?
(c) Dakota Territory.
(d) Utah Territory.
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the Hansa children?
(d) Hans Kristian.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tonseten tell the new Norwegian settlers that they can find wood?
2. What animal does Tonseten say he manages to hunt and kill using his crowbar?
3. Where do the boys tell Per Hansa that the red welts on their bodies came from?
4. What is Tonseten's first name?
5. Why does Per Hans walk so far ahead of the caravan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Per Hansa's interaction with the Indians in Book 1, Chapter 3. Why do you think he is so concerned about the ailing chief?
2. Why is Beret so afraid when Per Hansa leaves the settlement to go on trips?
3. Why does Per Hansa take a trip to the Sioux River? What does he bring back with him?
4. What is Beret Hansa's emotional/mental state in Book 1, Chapter 1 of the novel? Why?
5. In Book 1, Chapter 5, what does Per Hansa discover in Worthington that so delights him? How does he come upon it and what does he decide to do?
6. What is Beret's reaction when the minister tries to baptize Peder Seier? Explain her reaction.
7. Describe what happens to Per Hansa when he decides to go on a trip with the men using his oxen and gets lost in a blizzard.
8. In Book 1, Chapter 6, we get a glimpse into the mind of Beret Hansa. Why does Beret consider her life at the settlement as a punishment from God?
9. In Book 1, Chapter 5, a group of settlers comes upon the Spring Creek settlement and, as Per Hansa and the other men are gone, it is left to Tonseten to greet them. What is their nationality? What is Tonseten's reaction to them and why?
10. What happens to Hans Olsa in the final chapter of the book?
This section contains 1,414 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)