|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is most upset that Rosie is missing?
(a) Per Hansa.
(b) Hans Olsa.
2. What does the name Store-Hans mean?
(a) Big Hans.
(b) Little Hans.
(c) Little hands.
(d) Helpful hands.
3. Where is the Hansa family headed?
(b) Utah Territory.
(d) Dakota Territory.
4. Who says, "The guilty will receive their punishment in the end"?
(c) Sam Solum.
(d) Per Hansa.
5. What is Per Hansa's purpose for buying the twine and knitting a net?
(a) To hold their clothing.
(b) To catch rainwater.
(c) To keep the mosquitoes out.
(d) To catch ducks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the members of the large caravan, who had decided to settle close to Spring Creek, come to Per Hansa's farm?
2. How many wagons are in the first group of Norwegian settlers that come to Spring Creek?
3. Who does Per Hansa send down to the creek to look for the missing cows?
4. Which of the following does NOT describe Tonseten?
5. In Book 1, Chapter 1, what is the family doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book 1, Chapter 5, what does Per Hansa discover in Worthington that so delights him? How does he come upon it and what does he decide to do?
2. Why does Beret agree with Per Hansa's plans for the house? Does she explain this reasoning to her husband? Why or why not?
3. How does Per Hansa die? In what position is he found?
4. After the locusts first come and the men finish plowing the fields, Per goes to check on Beret to see how she has fared during the attack. What does he find when he returns home and how does he react?
5. In Book 1, Chapter 4, Per Hansa is surveying his property and finds wooden stakes in the ground. Where does Per find the stakes, what do they mean, and how does he react to this discovery?
6. The second group of visitors to arrive on Spring Creek is a large caravan of Irish frontiersmen and women. What is the controversy between the group of Irish folks and the settlers of Spring Creek? How is it resolved?
7. Who goes to look for the cattle? What happens when this character returns?
8. How does Beret change in the last chapter of the book?
9. Why do the Solum boys want to travel back East for the winter? What do they ask of Per Hansa and what is his reaction?
10. Describe the weather in Book 1, Chapter 6. How does Beret feel about the whitewashing? What does it have to do with the weather?
This section contains 1,337 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)