|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What chore does Per Hansa give to Ole while he is away at town?
(a) Chop wood.
(b) Mow the lawn.
(c) Hunt ducks.
(d) Barter for lumber.
2. What does Beret attack her boys with?
(a) A belt.
(b) A spoon.
(c) Her hand.
(d) A switch.
3. Who says, "The guilty will receive their punishment in the end"?
(a) Per Hansa.
(d) Sam Solum.
4. Who is the interpreter in the conversation between the men of the large caravan and the settlers of Spring Creek?
(b) Sam Solum.
(c) Per Hansa.
5. Who gives the new Norwegian settlers a tour of Spring Creek?
Short Answer Questions
1. What town does Per Hansa travel to in Book 1, Chapter 5 to get supplies?
2. What does Hans Olsa tell Per Hansa he has lost on his journey to their new home?
3. Where do the settlers have to go to make their claim to the land official?
4. What does the place where the ducks live remind Per Hansa of?
5. ***Which of the following is NOT one of the items that Per Hansa barters for on his visit to town in Book 1, Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book 1, Chapter 6, we get a glimpse into the mind of Beret Hansa. Why does Beret consider her life at the settlement as a punishment from God?
2. Why is Per Hansa left behind when the other men travel to town? How does he react to this?
3. What do the settlers discuss changing their names to? What name does Per refuse and what name does he decide would be a good name for his family?
4. In Book 1, Chapter 5, a group of settlers comes upon the Spring Creek settlement and, as Per Hansa and the other men are gone, it is left to Tonseten to greet them. What is their nationality? What is Tonseten's reaction to them and why?
5. Who goes to look for the cattle? What happens when this character returns?
6. What do the settlers do to try to help Hans Olsa when he is on his death bed?
7. Why does Per Hansa go to the Indian camp in Book 1, Chapter 3? What does he discover once he gets there?
8. Who has a problem with Per Hansa's house? Why? What does this character do when Per Hansa ignores his advice?
9. Describe Per Hansa's interaction with the Indians in Book 1, Chapter 3. Why do you think he is so concerned about the ailing chief?
10. In the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 2, we see Hans Olsa at work. What is he busy doing and why does he keep getting distracted?
This section contains 1,433 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)