|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following do the men bring back from their trip to town for Per Hansa?
(a) A plow.
(b) A bottle of whiskey.
(c) A mowing machine.
(d) A horse.
2. Who is the first to notice that the cows have gone missing after the men arrive home from town?
(b) Sam Solum.
(c) Per Hansa.
3. What town does Per Hansa travel to in Book 1, Chapter 5 to get supplies?
(d) Sioux Falls.
4. Which of the following does NOT describe the physical appearance of Per Hansa?
(c) Brown hair.
5. What does Per Hansa ask the Indians for?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children are in the Hansa family?
2. By what means is the Hansa family traveling?
3. What is the name of Hans Olsa's daughter?
4. Who is most upset that Rosie is missing?
5. Where does Tonseten tell the new Norwegian settlers that they can find wood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the settlers do to try to help Hans Olsa when he is on his death bed?
2. Describe Per Hansa's interaction with the Indians in Book 1, Chapter 3. Why do you think he is so concerned about the ailing chief?
3. In Book 1, Chapter 4, Per Hansa is surveying his property and finds wooden stakes in the ground. Where does Per find the stakes, what do they mean, and how does he react to this discovery?
4. Describe what is happening when the locusts come to the settlement. What is the reaction of the settlers?
5. Describe the Hansa family.
6. What happens to Hans Olsa in the final chapter of the book?
7. What do the settlers discuss changing their names to? What name does Per refuse and what name does he decide would be a good name for his family?
8. Why does Per Hansa go to the Indian camp in Book 1, Chapter 3? What does he discover once he gets there?
9. What happens after Per Hansa plants his seeds in the ground in Book 2, Chapter 2? How does Per react?
10. How does Henry Solum's teach school in the settlement?
This section contains 1,441 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)