|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Beret Hansa remember the family landed when they crossed the ocean from Norway?
(b) New York.
2. Where does Tonseten tell the new Norwegian settlers that they can find wood?
(a) Filmore County.
(b) The Sioux River.
(c) Sioux Falls.
(d) Spring Creek.
3. What is the date on which Per Hansa receives a deed to the property he has claimed?
(a) June 21, 1892.
(b) July 4, 1776.
(c) June 6, 1873.
(d) January 26, 1903.
4. Of what nationality is the large caravan that was the second to arrive at Spring Creek?
5. What does Beret make for breakfast using the flour before Per goes to see the Hallings?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finds the ducks on the prairie?
2. How many wagons are in the first group of Norwegian settlers that come to Spring Creek?
3. Who is Per Hansa?
4. Who helps Per Hansa clean the sick Indian's injury?
5. Who gets into a physical fight with one of the men from the large caravan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Per Hansa's interaction with the Indians in Book 1, Chapter 3. Why do you think he is so concerned about the ailing chief?
2. What happens to the cows of the settlement toward the end of Book 1, Chapter 3? What is the reaction of the settlers?
3. What is Beret's reaction when the minister tries to baptize Peder Seier? Explain her reaction.
4. How do the men convince the Solum boys to stay in Spring Creek for the winter?
5. What business proposition does Torkel Tallaksen present to Per Hansa? What is Per Hansa's response?
6. Who has a problem with Per Hansa's house? Why? What does this character do when Per Hansa ignores his advice?
7. What are the effects of the winter of 1880-1881 on the settlement at Spring Creek?
8. What happens to Beret after she comes to know the minister and after he leaves?
9. Describe Per Hansa's plan for his house.
10. After the locusts first come and the men finish plowing the fields, Per goes to check on Beret to see how she has fared during the attack. What does he find when he returns home and how does he react?
This section contains 1,324 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)