|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Per Hansa ask the Indians for?
2. What does Per Hansa offer to Beret when he comes home in Book 1, Chapter 5?
3. Which of the following is NOT a type of seed that Beret brought to plant in addition to the main crop?
4. How old is Hans Olsa's daughter?
5. Who in Per Hansa's family believes the family should travel back east for the winter?
(d) Per Hansa.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Per Hansa bring back to camp in Book 1, Chapter 1 to appease his wife?
2. Where do the boys tell Per Hansa that the red welts on their bodies came from?
3. What does Hans Olsa tell Per Hansa he has lost on his journey to their new home?
4. What is Hans Olsa doing at the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 2?
5. Where are the four men, the first small caravan to visit the settlement, from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Beret agree with Per Hansa's plans for the house? Does she explain this reasoning to her husband? Why or why not?
2. What is some of Beret's strange behavior that Per Hansa shares with the minister?
3. In Book 1, Chapter 4, Per Hansa is surveying his property and finds wooden stakes in the ground. Where does Per find the stakes, what do they mean, and how does he react to this discovery?
4. Describe the Hansa family's caravan.
5. How does Beret change in the last chapter of the book?
6. What does the woman who has been tied in the back of the wagon do while she is at Per Hansa's house?
7. Why does Beret begin packing up the family's possessions in a trunk while Per Hansa is away at town in Book 1, Chapter 5?
8. What do the settlers do to try to help Hans Olsa when he is on his death bed?
9. Describe Per Hansa's plan for his house.
10. Why do the Solum boys want to travel back East for the winter? What do they ask of Per Hansa and what is his reaction?
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)