|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Kjersti's cow?
2. What is the first crop that Per Hansa wants to plant on his land?
3. Where does Beret Hansa remember the family landed when they crossed the ocean from Norway?
(c) New York.
4. How many wagons are in the first group of Norwegian settlers that come to Spring Creek?
5. Who is Per Hansa?
(a) A shopkeeper who helps the family with supplies.
(b) The main family's oldest child.
(c) The main female character of the book.
(d) The main male character of the book.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Per Hansa clean the sick Indian's injury?
2. Where is the Hansa family headed?
3. What is the name of the Hansa's cow?
4. What is the date on which Per Hansa receives a deed to the property he has claimed?
5. What is the name of Tonseten's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the settlers discuss changing their names to? What name does Per refuse and what name does he decide would be a good name for his family?
2. Why do the Solum boys want to travel back East for the winter? What do they ask of Per Hansa and what is his reaction?
3. What is Beret's reaction when the minister tries to baptize Peder Seier? Explain her reaction.
4. The second group of visitors to arrive on Spring Creek is a large caravan of Irish frontiersmen and women. What is the controversy between the group of Irish folks and the settlers of Spring Creek? How is it resolved?
5. In the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 2, we see Hans Olsa at work. What is he busy doing and why does he keep getting distracted?
6. What does Per Hansa notice about his wife in Book 1, Chapter 6? What does he think causes it and what does he try to do about it?
7. Why does Tonseten need to talk to the minister in private?
8. What is Beret Hansa's emotional/mental state in Book 1, Chapter 1 of the novel? Why?
9. Who has a problem with Per Hansa's house? Why? What does this character do when Per Hansa ignores his advice?
10. Why is Per Hansa left behind when the other men travel to town? How does he react to this?
This section contains 1,312 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)