|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Per Hansa name the pony that is given to him by the Indian chief?
2. Where do the settlers have to go to make their claim to the land official?
(a) Silver City.
(b) Sioux Falls.
(c) Hillside Colony.
(d) Des Moines.
3. What animal does Tonseten actually manage to hunt and kill using his crowbar?
(a) A duck.
(b) A bear.
(c) A badger.
(d) A deer.
4. What chore does Per Hansa give to Ole while he is away at town?
(a) Chop wood.
(b) Hunt ducks.
(c) Mow the lawn.
(d) Barter for lumber.
5. Which of the following is NOT a type of seed that Beret brought to plant in addition to the main crop?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beret attack her boys with?
2. What is the name of the Hansa's cow?
3. What is the name of the Hansas' rifle?
4. Where does Tonseten tell the new Norwegian settlers that they can find wood?
5. Who is most upset that Rosie is missing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the settlers discuss changing their names to? What name does Per refuse and what name does he decide would be a good name for his family?
2. What is the Hansa family doing as the novel opens? Why?
3. Why is Per Hansa left behind when the other men travel to town? How does he react to this?
4. What type of business does Per Hansa conduct regarding the furs from the Indians?
5. Why do the Solum boys want to travel back East for the winter? What do they ask of Per Hansa and what is his reaction?
6. What does Per Hansa do with the wooden stakes that he discovers? Why? What accounts for the change in Per's demeanor during this time?
7. What is the minister's response to Per after he tells the minister his concerns about Beret?
8. What is Beret's demeanor after she gives birth to Peder Seier?
9. After the locusts first come and the men finish plowing the fields, Per goes to check on Beret to see how she has fared during the attack. What does he find when he returns home and how does he react?
10. Why does Tonseten need to talk to the minister in private?
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)