|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the name And-Ongen mean?
(a) The ugly one.
(b) The kitten.
(c) The duckling.
(d) The mother.
2. What is the name on the stake that Per Hansa finds in the ground at Tonseten's southwest corner?
3. Who gives the new Norwegian settlers a tour of Spring Creek?
4. Who is the first to notice that the cows have gone missing after the men arrive home from town?
(a) Sam Solum.
(c) Per Hansa.
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the men who will travel to town in Book 1, Chapter 3?
(a) Harry Solum.
(b) Hans Olsa.
(c) Sam Solum.
(d) Syvert Tonseten.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Tonseten actually manage to hunt and kill using his crowbar?
2. Who finds the ducks on the prairie?
3. Who is the only person in the settlement who seems upset about what Per Hansa did with the stakes?
4. What does Per Hansa offer to Beret when he comes home in Book 1, Chapter 5?
5. Who tells Beret about the argument between the settlers of Spring Creek and the men of the large caravan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Solum boys want to travel back East for the winter? What do they ask of Per Hansa and what is his reaction?
2. Why does Tonseten need to talk to the minister in private?
3. What is the Hansa family doing as the novel opens? Why?
4. What is the story of the man and woman who come to Spring Creek with the woman tied up in the wagon?
5. Describe Per Hansa's plan for his house.
6. Describe the weather in Book 1, Chapter 6. How does Beret feel about the whitewashing? What does it have to do with the weather?
7. What happens to the Irish frontiersmen after their fight with the settlers of Spring Creek over the land?
8. How does Beret change in the last chapter of the book?
9. What are the effects of the winter of 1880-1881 on the settlement at Spring Creek?
10. In the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 2, we see Hans Olsa at work. What is he busy doing and why does he keep getting distracted?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)