|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many wagons does the large caravan that was the second to arrive at Spring Creek consist of?
2. By what means is the Hansa family traveling?
(a) Covered wagon.
3. What is Hans Olsa doing at the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 2?
(a) Building a sod house.
(b) Talking to a friend.
(c) Plowing his fields.
4. Who finds the ducks on the prairie?
(a) Per Hansa and Hans Olsa.
(b) Beret and Kjersti.
(c) Store-Hans and Ola.
(d) And-Ongen and Store-Hans.
5. How do the settlers celebrate the safe return of the men from town?
(a) Have a big dinner.
(b) Drink liquor.
(d) Exchange gifts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hans Olsa tell Per Hansa he has lost on his journey to their new home?
2. Which of the following is NOT something that Per brings back with him in addition to lost cows that had wandered off?
3. What does Per Hansa name the pony that is given to him by the Indian chief?
4. Of what nationality are the four men of the first small caravan to visit the settlement?
5. What is the date on which Per Hansa receives a deed to the property he has claimed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Hans Olsa in the final chapter of the book?
2. What is the Hansa family doing as the novel opens? Why?
3. What business proposition does Torkel Tallaksen present to Per Hansa? What is Per Hansa's response?
4. Why don't the neighbors want to visit the Hansa house?
5. What are the hardships of pioneer life as described in the beginning of Book 2, Chapter 4?
6. Why is Per Hansa left behind when the other men travel to town? How does he react to this?
7. Describe Per Hansa's interaction with the Indians in Book 1, Chapter 3. Why do you think he is so concerned about the ailing chief?
8. In Book 1, Chapter 5, a group of settlers comes upon the Spring Creek settlement and, as Per Hansa and the other men are gone, it is left to Tonseten to greet them. What is their nationality? What is Tonseten's reaction to them and why?
9. How does Beret find out about the name stakes that Per Hansa removes? What is her opinion of the event?
10. What happens to the cows of the settlement toward the end of Book 1, Chapter 3? What is the reaction of the settlers?
This section contains 1,362 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)