|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a type of seed that Beret brought to plant in addition to the main crop?
2. Where do the boys tell Per Hansa that the red welts on their bodies came from?
(a) They were fighting.
(b) They got into poison ivy.
(c) They fell off the roof.
(d) Beret struck them.
3. Who does Per Hansa take with him to meet the Indians?
(b) Hans Olsa.
(d) Sam Solum.
4. Which of the following is NOT one of the men who will travel to town in Book 1, Chapter 3?
(a) Harry Solum.
(b) Syvert Tonseten.
(c) Sam Solum.
(d) Hans Olsa.
5. What is the name on the stake that Per Hansa finds in the ground at Hans Olsa's southwest corner?
(a) H. Olsen.
(c) Joe Gill.
(d) John Wright.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name on the stake that Per Hansa finds in the ground at Tonseten's southwest corner?
2. Who does Per Hansa send down to the creek to look for the missing cows?
3. What kind of trees does Per Hansa bring back to plant around the house?
4. What does Per Hansa offer to Beret when he comes home in Book 1, Chapter 5?
5. Where are the four men, the first small caravan to visit the settlement, from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the arrival of the minister and his physical appearance.
2. The second group of visitors to arrive on Spring Creek is a large caravan of Irish frontiersmen and women. What is the controversy between the group of Irish folks and the settlers of Spring Creek? How is it resolved?
3. Why don't the neighbors want to visit the Hansa house?
4. What do the settlers discuss changing their names to? What name does Per refuse and what name does he decide would be a good name for his family?
5. In Book 1, Chapter 4, Per Hansa is surveying his property and finds wooden stakes in the ground. Where does Per find the stakes, what do they mean, and how does he react to this discovery?
6. In Book 1, Chapter 5, a group of settlers comes upon the Spring Creek settlement and, as Per Hansa and the other men are gone, it is left to Tonseten to greet them. What is their nationality? What is Tonseten's reaction to them and why?
7. What business proposition does Torkel Tallaksen present to Per Hansa? What is Per Hansa's response?
8. What do the settlers do to try to help Hans Olsa when he is on his death bed?
9. What is the minister's response to Per after he tells the minister his concerns about Beret?
10. How does Per Hansa die? In what position is he found?
This section contains 1,359 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)