|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the name Store-Hans mean?
(a) Helpful hands.
(b) Little hands.
(c) Little Hans.
(d) Big Hans.
2. Who does Per Hansa take with him to meet the Indians?
(a) Hans Olsa.
(b) Sam Solum.
3. What town does Per Hansa travel to in Book 1, Chapter 5 to get supplies?
(b) Sioux Falls.
4. Of what nationality are the four men of the first small caravan to visit the settlement?
5. By what means is the Hansa family traveling?
(a) Covered wagon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something that Per brings back with him in addition to lost cows that had wandered off?
2. What kind of food does the Hansa family have to eat every night?
3. What illness does Tonseten suffer from?
4. Where does the journey of the Hansa family begin?
5. Where are the four men, the first small caravan to visit the settlement, from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Solum boys want to travel back East for the winter? What do they ask of Per Hansa and what is his reaction?
2. Who has a problem with Per Hansa's house? Why? What does this character do when Per Hansa ignores his advice?
3. What is Beret's reaction when the minister tries to baptize Peder Seier? Explain her reaction.
4. How does Beret find out about the name stakes that Per Hansa removes? What is her opinion of the event?
5. Describe the arrival of the minister and his physical appearance.
6. Why does Tonseten need to talk to the minister in private?
7. What type of business does Per Hansa conduct regarding the furs from the Indians?
8. What is the Hansa family doing as the novel opens? Why?
9. How does Henry Solum's teach school in the settlement?
10. In the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 2, we see Hans Olsa at work. What is he busy doing and why does he keep getting distracted?
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)