|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of food does the Hansa family have to eat every night?
2. What does the name And-Ongen mean?
(a) The duckling.
(b) The kitten.
(c) The mother.
(d) The ugly one.
3. Who is Per Hansa?
(a) The main family's oldest child.
(b) The main male character of the book.
(c) A shopkeeper who helps the family with supplies.
(d) The main female character of the book.
4. What does Per Hansa name the pony that is given to him by the Indian chief?
5. What does Per Hansa ask the Indians for?
Short Answer Questions
1. What place does Per Hansa hope to find when he leaves the camp in the middle of the night?
2. What kind of trees does Per Hansa bring back to plant around the house?
3. Who is the author of Giants of the Earth?
4. What does the injured Indian give Per Hansa in exchange for helping him?
5. What is the name on the stake that Per Hansa finds in the ground at Tonseten's southwest corner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Hansa family doing as the novel opens? Why?
2. Describe Per Hansa's plan for his house.
3. What does Per Hansa do with the wooden stakes that he discovers? Why? What accounts for the change in Per's demeanor during this time?
4. Describe the Hansa family.
5. What business proposition does Torkel Tallaksen present to Per Hansa? What is Per Hansa's response?
6. How does Henry Solum's teach school in the settlement?
7. Why don't the neighbors want to visit the Hansa house?
8. What are the hardships of pioneer life as described in the beginning of Book 2, Chapter 4?
9. In Book 1, Chapter 5, a group of settlers comes upon the Spring Creek settlement and, as Per Hansa and the other men are gone, it is left to Tonseten to greet them. What is their nationality? What is Tonseten's reaction to them and why?
10. What do the settlers discuss changing their names to? What name does Per refuse and what name does he decide would be a good name for his family?
This section contains 1,329 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)