|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it that the settlers are particularly afraid of?
(c) Indian encounters.
(d) Losing their children.
2. Who helps Per Hansa clean the sick Indian's injury?
3. How many wagons are in the first group of Norwegian settlers that come to Spring Creek?
4. What task does Per Hansa give to Ola when he returns from town in Book 1, Chapter 5?
(a) To knit the net.
(b) To hunt for bears.
(c) To chop wood.
(d) To feed the horse.
5. What does Per Hansa offer to Beret when he comes home in Book 1, Chapter 5?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the interpreter in the conversation between the men of the large caravan and the settlers of Spring Creek?
2. Who gets into a physical fight with one of the men from the large caravan?
3. Which of the following is NOT a type of seed that Beret brought to plant in addition to the main crop?
4. Which of the following does NOT describe the physical appearance of Per Hansa?
5. What type of injury does the sick Indian have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Hansa family.
2. Why does Tonseten need to talk to the minister in private?
3. Why don't the neighbors want to visit the Hansa house?
4. What happens to Hans Olsa in the final chapter of the book?
5. What happens to the rest of the party that the Hansa family was traveling with?
6. In Book 1, Chapter 4, Per Hansa is surveying his property and finds wooden stakes in the ground. Where does Per find the stakes, what do they mean, and how does he react to this discovery?
7. In Book 1, Chapter 5, what does Per Hansa discover in Worthington that so delights him? How does he come upon it and what does he decide to do?
8. How do the men convince the Solum boys to stay in Spring Creek for the winter?
9. How does Beret find out about the name stakes that Per Hansa removes? What is her opinion of the event?
10. What do the settlers discuss changing their names to? What name does Per refuse and what name does he decide would be a good name for his family?
This section contains 1,436 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)