|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of injury does the sick Indian have?
(a) A hand wound.
(b) A torn muscle.
(c) A broken leg.
(d) A head wound.
2. As the novel opens, what time of day is it?
(a) Early morning.
(b) Late afternoon.
(c) Late morning.
(d) Early afternoon.
3. What kind of food does the Hansa family have to eat every night?
4. What does Hans Olsa tell Per Hansa he has lost on his journey to their new home?
(a) Cooking supplies.
(b) A horse.
(c) A pair of pants.
(d) A mutton leg.
5. What task does Per Hansa give to Ola when he returns from town in Book 1, Chapter 5?
(a) To knit the net.
(b) To hunt for bears.
(c) To chop wood.
(d) To feed the horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what nationality are the four men of the first small caravan to visit the settlement?
2. Who does Per Hansa send down to the creek to look for the missing cows?
3. Why do the members of the large caravan, who had decided to settle close to Spring Creek, come to Per Hansa's farm?
4. How many wagons are in the first group of Norwegian settlers that come to Spring Creek?
5. Of what nationality is the large caravan that was the second to arrive at Spring Creek?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Per Hansa's interaction with the Indians in Book 1, Chapter 3. Why do you think he is so concerned about the ailing chief?
2. In the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 2, we see Hans Olsa at work. What is he busy doing and why does he keep getting distracted?
3. What is the Hansa family doing as the novel opens? Why?
4. What is Beret's reaction when the minister tries to baptize Peder Seier? Explain her reaction.
5. Why does Per Hansa take a trip to the Sioux River? What does he bring back with him?
6. In Book 1, Chapter 5, what does Per Hansa discover in Worthington that so delights him? How does he come upon it and what does he decide to do?
7. What do the settlers discuss changing their names to? What name does Per refuse and what name does he decide would be a good name for his family?
8. Describe Per Hansa's plan for his house.
9. After the locusts first come and the men finish plowing the fields, Per goes to check on Beret to see how she has fared during the attack. What does he find when he returns home and how does he react?
10. Why don't the neighbors want to visit the Hansa house?
This section contains 1,313 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)