|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it that the settlers are particularly afraid of?
(a) Indian encounters.
(b) Losing their children.
2. Who does Per Hansa send down to the creek to look for the missing cows?
(d) Hans Olsa.
3. Which of the following do the men bring back from their trip to town for Per Hansa?
(a) A bottle of whiskey.
(b) A plow.
(c) A mowing machine.
(d) A horse.
4. Who tells Beret about the argument between the settlers of Spring Creek and the men of the large caravan?
(b) Per Hansa.
(c) Hans Olsa.
5. What is the first crop that Per Hansa wants to plant on his land?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Per Hansa find on his plot of land when he first goes to inspect it?
2. What type of injury does the sick Indian have?
3. As the novel opens, what time of day is it?
4. What is the name on the stake that Per Hansa finds in the ground at Hans Olsa's southwest corner?
5. Who in Per Hansa's family believes the family should travel back east for the winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Hans Olsa in the final chapter of the book?
2. What is some of Beret's strange behavior that Per Hansa shares with the minister?
3. What do Hans Olsa, Tonseten and Harry Solum bring back from their trip to town? What is the atmosphere of the settlement when the men return?
4. What happens to the cows of the settlement toward the end of Book 1, Chapter 3? What is the reaction of the settlers?
5. After the locusts first come and the men finish plowing the fields, Per goes to check on Beret to see how she has fared during the attack. What does he find when he returns home and how does he react?
6. What does Per Hansa find towards the end of Book 1, Chapter 1? Why is it important and what does it mean for the family?
7. What do the settlers do to try to help Hans Olsa when he is on his death bed?
8. In Book 1, Chapter 4, Per Hansa is surveying his property and finds wooden stakes in the ground. Where does Per find the stakes, what do they mean, and how does he react to this discovery?
9. How does Beret change in the last chapter of the book?
10. Who has a problem with Per Hansa's house? Why? What does this character do when Per Hansa ignores his advice?
This section contains 1,483 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)