|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Beret attack her boys with?
(a) Her hand.
(b) A spoon.
(c) A belt.
(d) A switch.
2. Which of the following is NOT something that Per brings back with him in addition to lost cows that had wandered off?
(a) A bull.
(b) A rooster.
(c) A mare.
(d) Two hens.
3. How many wagons are in the first group of Norwegian settlers that come to Spring Creek?
4. What is the name of Hans Olsa's wife?
5. What chore does Per Hansa give to Ole while he is away at town?
(a) Barter for lumber.
(b) Mow the lawn.
(c) Chop wood.
(d) Hunt ducks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Per Hansa leave the camp in the middle of the night in Book 1, Chapter 1?
2. Where do the settlers have to go to make their claim to the land official?
3. Which of the following is NOT one of the men who will travel to town in Book 1, Chapter 3?
4. Who is the only person in the settlement who seems upset about what Per Hansa did with the stakes?
5. How old is Hans Olsa's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the hardships of pioneer life as described in the beginning of Book 2, Chapter 4?
2. Describe Per Hansa's plan for his house.
3. Why are the new people that come upon the Spring Creek settlement in Book 1, Chapter 5 reluctant to stay there? What is Tonseten's response?
4. What happens to the Irish frontiersmen after their fight with the settlers of Spring Creek over the land?
5. How do the men convince the Solum boys to stay in Spring Creek for the winter?
6. What happens to the rest of the party that the Hansa family was traveling with?
7. The second group of visitors to arrive on Spring Creek is a large caravan of Irish frontiersmen and women. What is the controversy between the group of Irish folks and the settlers of Spring Creek? How is it resolved?
8. What is Beret's demeanor after she gives birth to Peder Seier?
9. Who has a problem with Per Hansa's house? Why? What does this character do when Per Hansa ignores his advice?
10. What is some of Beret's strange behavior that Per Hansa shares with the minister?
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)