|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Per Hansa tell Hans Olsa he will go to look for the cows?
(a) To the Indian settlement.
(b) To the Sioux River.
(c) To Sioux Falls.
(d) To the creek.
2. What kind of trees does Per Hansa bring back to plant around the house?
3. Where does Tonseten tell the new Norwegian settlers that they can find wood?
(a) Sioux Falls.
(b) The Sioux River.
(c) Filmore County.
(d) Spring Creek.
4. What is the name of Hans Olsa's daughter?
5. Who gets into a physical fight with one of the men from the large caravan?
(a) Henry Solum.
(b) Sam Solum.
(c) Hans Olsa.
(d) Per Hansa.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Hansas' rifle?
2. What does Per Hansa find on his plot of land when he first goes to inspect it?
3. What type of injury does the sick Indian have?
4. What does Per Hansa offer to Beret when he comes home in Book 1, Chapter 5?
5. How do the settlers celebrate the safe return of the men from town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Beret so afraid when Per Hansa leaves the settlement to go on trips?
2. Who has a problem with Per Hansa's house? Why? What does this character do when Per Hansa ignores his advice?
3. How do the men convince the Solum boys to stay in Spring Creek for the winter?
4. In the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 2, we see Hans Olsa at work. What is he busy doing and why does he keep getting distracted?
5. What is the minister's response to Per after he tells the minister his concerns about Beret?
6. Why is Per Hansa left behind when the other men travel to town? How does he react to this?
7. Why does Per Hansa go to the Indian camp in Book 1, Chapter 3? What does he discover once he gets there?
8. What happens to Beret after she comes to know the minister and after he leaves?
9. What business proposition does Torkel Tallaksen present to Per Hansa? What is Per Hansa's response?
10. From the exchange between Tonseten and Hans Olsa in the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 2, what can you gather is their opinion of Per Hansa?
This section contains 1,203 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)