|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first to notice that the cows have gone missing after the men arrive home from town?
(a) Per Hansa.
(d) Sam Solum.
2. What does Beret make for breakfast using the flour before Per goes to see the Hallings?
3. Which of the following do the men bring back from their trip to town for Per Hansa?
(a) A horse.
(b) A mowing machine.
(c) A plow.
(d) A bottle of whiskey.
4. By what means is the Hansa family traveling?
(b) Covered wagon.
5. Who finds the ducks on the prairie?
(a) Per Hansa and Hans Olsa.
(b) Beret and Kjersti.
(c) And-Ongen and Store-Hans.
(d) Store-Hans and Ola.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Per Hansa tell Hans Olsa he will go to look for the cows?
2. Who does Per Hansa send down to the creek to look for the missing cows?
3. What illness does Tonseten suffer from?
4. What does the injured Indian give Per Hansa in exchange for helping him?
5. How many wagons does the large caravan that was the second to arrive at Spring Creek consist of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Beret's demeanor after she gives birth to Peder Seier?
2. Describe Per Hansa's interaction with the Indians in Book 1, Chapter 3. Why do you think he is so concerned about the ailing chief?
3. What happens to Beret after she comes to know the minister and after he leaves?
4. In Book 1, Chapter 6, we get a glimpse into the mind of Beret Hansa. Why does Beret consider her life at the settlement as a punishment from God?
5. What are the hardships of pioneer life as described in the beginning of Book 2, Chapter 4?
6. Describe what happens to Per Hansa when he decides to go on a trip with the men using his oxen and gets lost in a blizzard.
7. What is some of Beret's strange behavior that Per Hansa shares with the minister?
8. How does Beret change in the last chapter of the book?
9. Why do the Solum boys want to travel back East for the winter? What do they ask of Per Hansa and what is his reaction?
10. What happens to the rest of the party that the Hansa family was traveling with?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)