|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Per Hansa find on his plot of land when he first goes to inspect it?
(a) A gun.
(b) A fox.
(c) A garden.
(d) A grave.
2. Which of the following does NOT describe Tonseten?
(a) Red beard.
(c) Rosy cheeks.
3. What does Per Hansa name the pony that is given to him by the Indian chief?
4. Who are the spokesmen between the men of the large caravan and the settlers of Spring Creek?
(a) Hans Olsa and Tonseten.
(b) Sam Solum and Per Hansa.
(c) Tonseten and Harry Solum.
(d) Hans Olsa and Harry Solum.
5. Where does Tonseten tell the new Norwegian settlers that they can find wood?
(a) Filmore County.
(b) Sioux Falls.
(c) Spring Creek.
(d) The Sioux River.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Hansas' rifle?
2. Why does Per Hansa leave the camp in the middle of the night in Book 1, Chapter 1?
3. Who in Per Hansa's family believes the family should travel back east for the winter?
4. What is the name on the stake that Per Hansa finds in the ground at Tonseten's southwest corner?
5. By what means is the Hansa family traveling?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the effects of the winter of 1880-1881 on the settlement at Spring Creek?
2. What do the settlers discuss changing their names to? What name does Per refuse and what name does he decide would be a good name for his family?
3. Why do the Solum boys want to travel back East for the winter? What do they ask of Per Hansa and what is his reaction?
4. Describe the weather in Book 1, Chapter 6. How does Beret feel about the whitewashing? What does it have to do with the weather?
5. Why does Tonseten need to talk to the minister in private?
6. Describe the Hansa family.
7. Why is Per Hansa left behind when the other men travel to town? How does he react to this?
8. What business proposition does Torkel Tallaksen present to Per Hansa? What is Per Hansa's response?
9. Describe what happens to Per Hansa when he decides to go on a trip with the men using his oxen and gets lost in a blizzard.
10. Why don't the neighbors want to visit the Hansa house?
This section contains 1,269 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)