|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Store-Hans ask Per after the minister's first service?
(a) If he can go shoot some ducks.
(b) If the minister is real.
(c) If he can be baptized.
(d) If Beret has killed Permand.
2. Why does Beret tell Per Hansa that it does no good to cry?
(a) Crying doesn't accomplish anything.
(b) There is no one in the place to hear him.
(c) It will make everyone else upset too.
(d) It will set a bad example for the children.
3. What does Per Hansa name his new baby?
(a) Hans Per.
(b) Peder Seier.
(c) Kristian Seier.
(d) Hans Peder.
4. What does Per Hansa's newborn baby's middle name mean?
5. Why do the women suggest that Per Hansa quickly christen his new child after birth?
(a) The baby is not breathing.
(b) They need to tell Beret his name.
(c) They need to make a birth certificate.
(d) The baby is so frail he might not survive.
6. What does the minister ask of the people of the house when he first arrives?
(a) Directions to the next settlement.
(b) Food to take with him on his journey.
(c) Firewood for his campfire.
(d) Lodging for himself and his horse.
7. Why do the men think the Solum boys should teach school?
(a) Because they are good at math.
(b) Because they can speak English.
(c) Because they have the best house.
(d) Because they can't farm.
8. Whom is the minister's communion Sunday service sermon about?
(b) Beret Hansa.
(c) A Norwegian widow.
(d) A Scottish farmer.
9. What has Per Hansa had to do because of the growth of his farm?
(a) Hire extra hands.
(b) Build more houses.
(c) Sell his land.
(d) Have more children.
10. Which of the following is NOT something that Per Hansa tells Torkel Tallaksen to invest his money in?
(a) Fish nets.
11. What does Beret insist that Hans Olsa do before he dies?
(a) Seek forgiveness for his sins.
(b) Kiss his wife.
(c) Tell them his last wishes.
(d) See the flowers of Spring.
12. What does Beret say living in a sod house does?
(a) Keeps the family warm at night.
(b) Turns people into animals.
(c) Helps save money for the future.
(d) Ruins the family's clothing.
13. What does Torkel Tallaksen want to build?
(a) Spring Creek's first store.
(b) A large barn.
(c) A church.
(d) A wooden house.
14. Who worries about the strain of divine services on Beret?
15. In what years does the winter snow fall from mid-October to mid-April?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hans Olsa ask Per Hansa to bring to him before he dies?
2. What does Beret prepare for her husband before he sets off on his journey?
3. What is another name for Peder Seier?
4. Who teaches Per Hansa how to fish?
5. What does the minister say his communion Sunday sermon teaches?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)