|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name does Per Hansa refuse to let Beret be known by?
2. Where does Hans Olsa decide to spend the night so that he doesn't get lost in the snowstorm in Book 2, Chapter 4?
(a) With Tonseten.
(b) At Per Hansa's house.
(c) In the shed with the cattle.
(d) Down by Spring Creek.
3. Tonseten says that the settlers should take names that reflect what?
(a) Their Norwegian heritage.
(b) Their new settlement.
(c) Their occupations.
(d) Their personalities.
4. Who does the minister want to baptize?
(a) Beret Hansa.
(b) The Indians.
(d) The children.
5. In which direction is Per looking when he dies?
6. In what month does the minister arrive to the settlement?
7. In what years does the winter snow fall from mid-October to mid-April?
8. What does Per Hansa do after he returns home from the Hallings?
(a) Plants potatoes.
(b) Gets sick.
(c) Whitewashes the walls.
(d) Feeds the cows.
9. Which of the following is NOT something that Per Hansa tells Torkel Tallaksen to invest his money in?
(c) Fish nets.
10. What does the minister think about Peder Seier's name?
(a) It is a bad name.
(b) It is a blasphemous name.
(c) It is a glorious name.
(d) It is a silly name.
11. What does Beret call the blizzards?
12. What is the name of the Irishwoman that Per Hansa fetches to help Hans Olsa?
(a) Silly Sue.
(c) Crazy Bridget.
(d) Crazy Katie.
13. Why does Per Hansa check the ground before he plants?
(a) To see how dry the soil is.
(b) To see how many worms are in the soil.
(c) To see if he has already planted seeds there.
(d) To see if there are any rocks or stones in the ground.
14. Why do the men think the Solum boys should teach school?
(a) Because they have the best house.
(b) Because they are good at math.
(c) Because they can't farm.
(d) Because they can speak English.
15. How does Per Hansa react to Beret's preaching?
(a) He yells at her.
(b) He is very proud of her.
(c) He hangs on her every word.
(d) He does not take it seriously.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Per Hansa clutching in his hands when they find his body?
2. What does Torkel Tallaksen want to build?
3. What does the woman who was tied up when she came to Spring Creek try to do in the middle of the night?
4. What rains down from the strange storm clouds as the men harvest the wheat in Book 2, Chapter 2?
5. What does Beret prepare for her husband before he sets off on his journey?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)