|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Per Hansa headed to look for the minister?
(b) The Spring Creek settlement.
(c) The James River settlement.
(d) Sioux Falls.
2. Why does Hans Olsa ultimately decide to return home during the night in the snowstorm in Book 2, Chapter 4?
(a) Sorine is making a special meal.
(b) Sorine will worry if he doesn't return home.
(c) He'd rather lose his life outside than with his cattle.
(d) His bed is more comfortable than the hay.
3. What does Beret believe will become of herself and her baby?
(a) They will become very close.
(b) Per Hansa will abandon them.
(c) They will die in labor.
(d) They will be sent back East.
4. What day is it when Ola and Store-Hans come to tell their father that the seeds have sprouted?
5. Why do the men think the Solum boys should teach school?
(a) Because they are good at math.
(b) Because they have the best house.
(c) Because they can't farm.
(d) Because they can speak English.
6. How much money does Per make buying and selling furs the first year?
(a) 50 dollars.
(b) 140 dollars.
(c) 85 dollars.
(d) 210 dollars.
7. Tonseten says that the settlers should take names that reflect what?
(a) Their personalities.
(b) Their Norwegian heritage.
(c) Their occupations.
(d) Their new settlement.
8. What happens two days after Per Hansa plants his wheat crop?
(a) Beret dies.
(b) He realizes he has planted the wrong seeds.
(c) There is a flood.
(d) A blizzard hits.
9. Why do Per Hansa and his sons sift through the seed before they plant them?
(a) To make sure they are all the same kind.
(b) To remove any rocks that may have mixed in.
(c) To remove any bad seeds.
(d) To let some air into the seed bags.
10. Who does the minister want to baptize?
(a) The Indians.
(b) The children.
(c) Beret Hansa.
11. What does the woman who was tied up when she came to Spring Creek try to do in the middle of the night?
(a) She runs away with Hans Olsa.
(b) She tries to burn the sod house down.
(c) She tries to steal Per Hansa's gun.
(d) She tries to steal And-Ongen.
12. Where does Henry Solum conduct his school?
(a) The location rotates among the houses.
(b) From Per Hansa's house always.
(c) Henry Solum does not teach school.
(d) From his brother Sam's house.
13. How long do the locusts plague the settlers?
(a) Seventeen years.
(b) One year.
(c) Seven years.
(d) Six years.
14. What sermon does the minister preach during his first service in the settlement?
(a) Jesus turning the water into wine.
(b) The Israelites and the land of Canaan.
(c) The ascension.
(d) The last supper.
15. What activity do Per Hansa and his boys engage in for three days to prepare for winter?
(b) Duck hunting.
(c) Bear hunting.
(d) Wood cutting.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to compliment Per Hansa on his wise decision to plant early?
2. Whose house does Per Hansa come upon after he is lost in the blizzard with his oxen?
3. Why does Per Hansa check the ground before he plants?
4. What do the neighbors liken the whitewashed walls of his house to?
5. What are the names of the couple that Tonseten married?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)