|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Per Hansa consider doing while Beret is in labor?
(a) Hanging himself.
(b) Helping with the birth.
(c) Plowing the fields.
(d) Feeding the cows.
2. In which direction is Per looking when he dies?
3. When Per Hansa gets lost in the blizzard, what does he begin to have hallucinations of?
(a) The Rocky Mountains.
(c) Beret and his children.
(d) The Atlantic Ocean.
4. What does Beret prepare for her husband before he sets off on his journey?
(b) Beef jerky.
(d) Hot coffee.
5. A couple arrives at Spring Creek and the woman is tied up in the wagon. What has happened to them?
(a) The woman is a thief being transported to jail.
(b) The woman has tried to kill the man.
(c) Their youngest child has died.
(d) The man has kidnapped the woman.
6. What does Store-Hans ask Per after the minister's first service?
(a) If he can be baptized.
(b) If Beret has killed Permand.
(c) If the minister is real.
(d) If he can go shoot some ducks.
7. Why does Hans Olsa ride out to his third quarter in the middle of a snowstorm?
(a) To bury his dog.
(b) To look after his cattle.
(c) To visit Per Hansa.
(d) To get some lumber.
8. What does the minister say his communion Sunday sermon teaches?
(a) The strength of marriage.
(b) The evil of pride.
(c) The blessings of hard work.
(d) The love of a mother.
9. What does Hans Olsa offer to Per Hansa after the minister leaves?
(a) To take Peder Seier to live with them.
(b) To take him to town for more supplies.
(c) To have Sorine stay with Beret.
(d) To be the full-time minister.
10. What happens two days after Per Hansa plants his wheat crop?
(a) There is a flood.
(b) A blizzard hits.
(c) He realizes he has planted the wrong seeds.
(d) Beret dies.
11. What is the name of the Indian settlement where Per Hansa travels to buy furs?
12. Where do the men go to get more wood in Book 2, Chapter 1?
(a) Filmore County.
(c) Sioux River.
(d) Sioux Falls.
13. Who worries about the strain of divine services on Beret?
14. What does Per Hansa name his new baby?
(a) Hans Per.
(b) Hans Peder.
(c) Kristian Seier.
(d) Peder Seier.
15. What is the name of the Irishwoman that Per Hansa fetches to help Hans Olsa?
(a) Crazy Katie.
(b) Silly Sue.
(d) Crazy Bridget.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do they find Store-Hans after the minister's first service?
2. Who is Torkel Tallaksen?
3. Why does Per Hansa check the ground before he plants?
4. How much money does Per make buying and selling furs the first year?
5. How does Per Hansa react to Beret's preaching?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)