|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the Irishwoman that Per Hansa fetches to help Hans Olsa?
(a) Crazy Katie.
(c) Silly Sue.
(d) Crazy Bridget.
2. Why do the men think the Solum boys should teach school?
(a) Because they are good at math.
(b) Because they can't farm.
(c) Because they have the best house.
(d) Because they can speak English.
3. Who is Torkel Tallaksen?
(a) A cousin of Tonseten's.
(b) An Irish farmer with a large family.
(c) A Norwegian newcomer with money.
(d) A Swedish man selling seed.
4. What activity do Per Hansa and his boys engage in for three days to prepare for winter?
(a) Duck hunting.
(c) Wood cutting.
(d) Bear hunting.
5. How does the minister react when Tonseten tells him about his transgression?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He lashes him.
(c) He gives him penance to perform.
(d) He scolds him.
6. What does Per Hansa buy with money from buying and selling furs?
(a) A heifer.
(b) A plow.
(c) An oak tree.
(d) A new suit.
7. Where is Per Hansa headed to look for the minister?
(a) Sioux Falls.
(c) The James River settlement.
(d) The Spring Creek settlement.
8. Where do they find Store-Hans after the minister's first service?
(a) At the swamp where the ducks live.
(b) The Indian grave mound.
(c) At Hans Olsa's.
(d) Inside the barn.
9. What does Beret believe will become of herself and her baby?
(a) Per Hansa will abandon them.
(b) They will die in labor.
(c) They will be sent back East.
(d) They will become very close.
10. What does Per Hansa name his new baby?
(a) Kristian Seier.
(b) Hans Peder.
(c) Hans Per.
(d) Peder Seier.
11. Where do the men go to get more wood in Book 2, Chapter 1?
(a) Sioux River.
(b) Filmore County.
(d) Sioux Falls.
12. What is Per Hansa clutching in his hands when they find his body?
(b) Pictures of his kids.
(d) Beef jerky.
13. When does the snow first fall on the settlement at Spring Creek?
(a) Late November.
(b) Early October.
(c) Late October.
(d) Early January.
14. A couple arrives at Spring Creek and the woman is tied up in the wagon. What has happened to them?
(a) Their youngest child has died.
(b) The woman has tried to kill the man.
(c) The man has kidnapped the woman.
(d) The woman is a thief being transported to jail.
15. What name does Per Hansa refuse to let Beret be known by?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who worries about the strain of divine services on Beret?
2. What does Beret call the blizzards?
3. What does the final chapter of the book open with?
4. What does Beret prepare for her husband before he sets off on his journey?
5. Tonseten says that the settlers should take names that reflect what?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)