|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the final chapter of the book open with?
(a) A hunting scene involving Per Hansa.
(b) An argument between Kjersti and Tonseten.
(c) A discussion of Beret's illness.
(d) A discussion of life faced by the pioneers.
2. Why do the women suggest that Per Hansa quickly christen his new child after birth?
(a) The baby is not breathing.
(b) They need to tell Beret his name.
(c) They need to make a birth certificate.
(d) The baby is so frail he might not survive.
3. Where does Hans Olsa decide to spend the night so that he doesn't get lost in the snowstorm in Book 2, Chapter 4?
(a) Down by Spring Creek.
(b) At Per Hansa's house.
(c) With Tonseten.
(d) In the shed with the cattle.
4. A couple arrives at Spring Creek and the woman is tied up in the wagon. What has happened to them?
(a) Their youngest child has died.
(b) The woman has tried to kill the man.
(c) The man has kidnapped the woman.
(d) The woman is a thief being transported to jail.
5. Who does Hans Olsa ask Per Hansa to bring to him before he dies?
(b) The doctor.
(d) The minister.
6. Where are the settlers when the question of changing their names comes up?
(b) Tonseten's house.
(c) By Spring Creek.
(d) Per Hansa's house.
7. Who comes to ask Per Hansa if he will make the trip to find the minister?
8. When Per Hansa gets lost in the blizzard, what does he begin to have hallucinations of?
(b) The Rocky Mountains.
(c) Beret and his children.
(d) The Atlantic Ocean.
9. What activity do Per Hansa and his boys engage in for three days to prepare for winter?
(a) Duck hunting.
(b) Wood cutting.
(c) Bear hunting.
10. In which direction is Per looking when he dies?
11. How long do the locusts plague the settlers?
(a) Seven years.
(b) One year.
(c) Seventeen years.
(d) Six years.
12. How does Per Hansa react to Beret's preaching?
(a) He hangs on her every word.
(b) He does not take it seriously.
(c) He is very proud of her.
(d) He yells at her.
13. What is another name for Peder Seier?
(d) Hans Per.
14. What does Beret insist that Hans Olsa do before he dies?
(a) Tell them his last wishes.
(b) Seek forgiveness for his sins.
(c) See the flowers of Spring.
(d) Kiss his wife.
15. What does Henry Solum offer to Per Hansa for the winter?
(a) His books.
(b) His wagon.
(c) His cow.
(d) His labor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Per Hansa and his sons sift through the seed before they plant them?
2. What does Hans Olsa offer to Per Hansa after the minister leaves?
3. What does Per Hansa name his new baby?
4. What name does Sorine suggest that Per Hansa use as his new name?
5. What does Per Hansa buy with money from buying and selling furs?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)