|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Per Hansa do after he returns home from the Hallings?
(a) Plants potatoes.
(b) Whitewashes the walls.
(c) Feeds the cows.
(d) Gets sick.
2. Where is Per Hansa headed to look for the minister?
(a) The Spring Creek settlement.
(b) Sioux Falls.
(d) The James River settlement.
3. What day is it when Ola and Store-Hans come to tell their father that the seeds have sprouted?
4. Who is Torkel Tallaksen?
(a) A Norwegian newcomer with money.
(b) A cousin of Tonseten's.
(c) An Irish farmer with a large family.
(d) A Swedish man selling seed.
5. What name does Per Hansa refuse to let Beret be known by?
6. Who asks Tonseten to marry a couple for which he still feels guilt over marrying?
(a) Rolf Hansen.
(b) Torkel Tallaksen.
(c) Halvor Hagg.
(d) Per Hansa.
7. Who becomes frustrated at Per Hansa's refusal to harvest the wheat when others tell him it is time?
(b) Henry Solum.
(c) Hans Olsa.
(d) Torkel Tallaksen.
8. What does the minister ask of the people of the house when he first arrives?
(a) Lodging for himself and his horse.
(b) Food to take with him on his journey.
(c) Firewood for his campfire.
(d) Directions to the next settlement.
9. What does Beret call the blizzards?
10. Per Hansa thinks that his wife is too _______ for a pregnant woman.
11. Where does Hans Olsa decide to spend the night so that he doesn't get lost in the snowstorm in Book 2, Chapter 4?
(a) With Tonseten.
(b) At Per Hansa's house.
(c) Down by Spring Creek.
(d) In the shed with the cattle.
12. What does Torkel Tallaksen want to build?
(a) A church.
(b) A wooden house.
(c) A large barn.
(d) Spring Creek's first store.
13. What does the final chapter of the book open with?
(a) A hunting scene involving Per Hansa.
(b) A discussion of life faced by the pioneers.
(c) An argument between Kjersti and Tonseten.
(d) A discussion of Beret's illness.
14. How much can Per Hansa buy furs for at the Indian settlement that sells them?
(a) Twenty cents.
(b) One dollar.
(c) Five cents.
(d) Ten cents.
15. What do the Solum boys build to help them return East?
(a) A wagon.
(b) A boat.
(c) A car.
(d) A sleigh.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beret say living in a sod house does?
2. Whose house does Per Hansa come upon after he is lost in the blizzard with his oxen?
3. What does Henry Solum offer to Per Hansa for the winter?
4. What rains down from the strange storm clouds as the men harvest the wheat in Book 2, Chapter 2?
5. A couple arrives at Spring Creek and the woman is tied up in the wagon. What has happened to them?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)