|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the women suggest that Per Hansa quickly christen his new child after birth?
(a) They need to tell Beret his name.
(b) They need to make a birth certificate.
(c) The baby is so frail he might not survive.
(d) The baby is not breathing.
2. Where are the settlers when the question of changing their names comes up?
(a) Per Hansa's house.
(b) Tonseten's house.
(d) By Spring Creek.
3. Where does Per Hansa go to sell the furs that he buys at the Indian settlement?
(b) North Dakota.
4. Why do Per Hansa and his sons sift through the seed before they plant them?
(a) To remove any bad seeds.
(b) To let some air into the seed bags.
(c) To make sure they are all the same kind.
(d) To remove any rocks that may have mixed in.
5. What does the woman who was tied up when she came to Spring Creek try to do in the middle of the night?
(a) She tries to steal And-Ongen.
(b) She runs away with Hans Olsa.
(c) She tries to steal Per Hansa's gun.
(d) She tries to burn the sod house down.
6. What does Beret insist that Hans Olsa do before he dies?
(a) See the flowers of Spring.
(b) Tell them his last wishes.
(c) Seek forgiveness for his sins.
(d) Kiss his wife.
7. Who calls Per Hansa a fool for planting too early?
(d) Hans Olsa.
8. What does Beret prepare for her husband before he sets off on his journey?
(a) Beef jerky.
(d) Hot coffee.
9. What does Store-Hans ask Per after the minister's first service?
(a) If he can go shoot some ducks.
(b) If the minister is real.
(c) If he can be baptized.
(d) If Beret has killed Permand.
10. Which of the following is NOT something that Per Hansa tells Torkel Tallaksen to invest his money in?
(d) Fish nets.
11. What does the minister ask of the people of the house when he first arrives?
(a) Firewood for his campfire.
(b) Food to take with him on his journey.
(c) Lodging for himself and his horse.
(d) Directions to the next settlement.
12. In what month does the minister arrive to the settlement?
13. Whose house does the minister arrive at first?
(a) Per Hansa's.
(b) Hans Olsa's.
(d) Torkel Tallaksen's.
14. When does the snow first fall on the settlement at Spring Creek?
(a) Late November.
(b) Late October.
(c) Early January.
(d) Early October.
15. What is Per Hansa clutching in his hands when they find his body?
(a) Beef jerky.
(d) Pictures of his kids.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry Solum offer to Per Hansa for the winter?
2. Whom is the minister's communion Sunday service sermon about?
3. In what years does the winter snow fall from mid-October to mid-April?
4. What sermon does the minister preach during his first service in the settlement?
5. Who worries about the strain of divine services on Beret?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)