|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Per Hansa had to do because of the growth of his farm?
(a) Sell his land.
(b) Have more children.
(c) Hire extra hands.
(d) Build more houses.
2. What does Torkel Tallaksen want to build?
(a) A church.
(b) A wooden house.
(c) Spring Creek's first store.
(d) A large barn.
3. What strange dream does Beret have before it actually happens?
(a) Per Hansa's injury.
(b) Her mother's death.
(c) Her own death.
(d) The arrival of the locusts.
4. In which direction is Per looking when he dies?
5. Whose house does Per Hansa come upon after he is lost in the blizzard with his oxen?
(a) The Vossing family.
(b) The Baarstad family.
(c) Tonseten's house.
(d) The Hallings family.
6. What does the minister ask of the people of the house when he first arrives?
(a) Directions to the next settlement.
(b) Firewood for his campfire.
(c) Food to take with him on his journey.
(d) Lodging for himself and his horse.
7. What sermon does the minister preach during his first service in the settlement?
(a) The Israelites and the land of Canaan.
(b) The ascension.
(c) The last supper.
(d) Jesus turning the water into wine.
8. How does Per Hansa react to Beret's preaching?
(a) He yells at her.
(b) He hangs on her every word.
(c) He does not take it seriously.
(d) He is very proud of her.
9. Whom is the minister's communion Sunday service sermon about?
(a) A Scottish farmer.
(c) Beret Hansa.
(d) A Norwegian widow.
10. Where is Per Hansa headed to look for the minister?
(a) Sioux Falls.
(b) The James River settlement.
(c) The Spring Creek settlement.
11. Who comes to compliment Per Hansa on his wise decision to plant early?
(b) Henry Solum.
(c) Hans Olsa.
(d) Torkel Tallaksen.
12. Who does Hans Olsa ask Per Hansa to bring to him before he dies?
(a) The minister.
(c) The doctor.
13. Why do the women suggest that Per Hansa quickly christen his new child after birth?
(a) They need to make a birth certificate.
(b) The baby is so frail he might not survive.
(c) They need to tell Beret his name.
(d) The baby is not breathing.
14. Why does Hans Olsa ride out to his third quarter in the middle of a snowstorm?
(a) To get some lumber.
(b) To look after his cattle.
(c) To bury his dog.
(d) To visit Per Hansa.
15. Where do the men go to get more wood in Book 2, Chapter 1?
(a) Sioux River.
(c) Filmore County.
(d) Sioux Falls.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do they find Store-Hans after the minister's first service?
2. What does Beret insist that Hans Olsa do before he dies?
3. What do the Solum boys build to help them return East?
4. How long do the locusts plague the settlers?
5. How much can Per Hansa buy furs for at the Indian settlement that sells them?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)