|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Henry Solum conduct his school?
(a) Henry Solum does not teach school.
(b) The location rotates among the houses.
(c) From Per Hansa's house always.
(d) From his brother Sam's house.
2. What is the name of the Irishwoman that Per Hansa fetches to help Hans Olsa?
(b) Crazy Katie.
(c) Silly Sue.
(d) Crazy Bridget.
3. What day does Beret go into labor?
(a) Christmas Eve.
(c) New Year's.
4. What does the minister ask of the people of the house when he first arrives?
(a) Directions to the next settlement.
(b) Firewood for his campfire.
(c) Lodging for himself and his horse.
(d) Food to take with him on his journey.
5. Who comes to ask Per Hansa if he will make the trip to find the minister?
6. What does Hans Olsa find when he arrives on his third quarter during the snowstorm?
(a) The cows have run away.
(b) The animal shed has burnt down.
(c) There are people camping on his land.
(d) The animal shed has been blown apart by the wind.
7. What has Per Hansa had to do because of the growth of his farm?
(a) Hire extra hands.
(b) Sell his land.
(c) Have more children.
(d) Build more houses.
8. When do the men realize they must make a trip for more wood in Book 2, Chapter 1?
9. What does Hans Olsa suggest Peder become when he grows up?
10. What does Beret insist that Hans Olsa do before he dies?
(a) Kiss his wife.
(b) Seek forgiveness for his sins.
(c) See the flowers of Spring.
(d) Tell them his last wishes.
11. What does Per Hansa consider doing while Beret is in labor?
(a) Hanging himself.
(b) Feeding the cows.
(c) Helping with the birth.
(d) Plowing the fields.
12. What is the name of the Indian settlement where Per Hansa travels to buy furs?
13. Who becomes frustrated at Per Hansa's refusal to harvest the wheat when others tell him it is time?
(a) Hans Olsa.
(b) Henry Solum.
(c) Torkel Tallaksen.
14. A couple arrives at Spring Creek and the woman is tied up in the wagon. What has happened to them?
(a) The woman is a thief being transported to jail.
(b) The man has kidnapped the woman.
(c) Their youngest child has died.
(d) The woman has tried to kill the man.
15. What do the Solum boys build to help them return East?
(a) A car.
(b) A sleigh.
(c) A boat.
(d) A wagon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Sorine suggest that Per Hansa use as his new name?
2. Why does Beret tell Per Hansa that it does no good to cry?
3. What does Beret prepare for her husband before he sets off on his journey?
4. What does Beret believe will become of herself and her baby?
5. Why do the women suggest that Per Hansa quickly christen his new child after birth?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)