|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who protests Peder Seier being baptized by the minister?
(b) Hans Olsa.
(d) Per Hansa.
2. What does Per Hansa think his wife's strange behavior is caused by?
(a) Food poisoning.
(c) Her gender.
(d) Her pregnancy.
3. Why does Per Hansa check the ground before he plants?
(a) To see how many worms are in the soil.
(b) To see if he has already planted seeds there.
(c) To see if there are any rocks or stones in the ground.
(d) To see how dry the soil is.
4. What does the minister say his communion Sunday sermon teaches?
(a) The strength of marriage.
(b) The blessings of hard work.
(c) The evil of pride.
(d) The love of a mother.
5. Why do the men think the Solum boys should teach school?
(a) Because they have the best house.
(b) Because they can speak English.
(c) Because they can't farm.
(d) Because they are good at math.
6. Who worries about the strain of divine services on Beret?
7. How long do the locusts plague the settlers?
(a) Seven years.
(b) One year.
(c) Seventeen years.
(d) Six years.
8. What does Beret say living in a sod house does?
(a) Ruins the family's clothing.
(b) Turns people into animals.
(c) Helps save money for the future.
(d) Keeps the family warm at night.
9. What does the minister ask of the people of the house when he first arrives?
(a) Food to take with him on his journey.
(b) Firewood for his campfire.
(c) Directions to the next settlement.
(d) Lodging for himself and his horse.
10. What does Henry Solum offer to Per Hansa for the winter?
(a) His wagon.
(b) His books.
(c) His labor.
(d) His cow.
11. Where do they find Store-Hans after the minister's first service?
(a) Inside the barn.
(b) At the swamp where the ducks live.
(c) At Hans Olsa's.
(d) The Indian grave mound.
12. What sermon does the minister preach during his first service in the settlement?
(a) Jesus turning the water into wine.
(b) The Israelites and the land of Canaan.
(c) The last supper.
(d) The ascension.
13. What does the woman who was tied up when she came to Spring Creek try to do in the middle of the night?
(a) She runs away with Hans Olsa.
(b) She tries to steal Per Hansa's gun.
(c) She tries to burn the sod house down.
(d) She tries to steal And-Ongen.
14. What does Per Hansa consider doing while Beret is in labor?
(a) Feeding the cows.
(b) Hanging himself.
(c) Helping with the birth.
(d) Plowing the fields.
15. A couple arrives at Spring Creek and the woman is tied up in the wagon. What has happened to them?
(a) The man has kidnapped the woman.
(b) The woman is a thief being transported to jail.
(c) Their youngest child has died.
(d) The woman has tried to kill the man.
Short Answer Questions
1. During their trip to gather more wood, what do the men do to avoid losing each other in the storm?
2. What does the minister think about Peder Seier's name?
3. Where do the men go to get more wood in Book 2, Chapter 1?
4. How does the minister react when Tonseten tells him about his transgression?
5. What does Per Hansa do after he returns home from the Hallings?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)