|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the men go to get more wood in Book 2, Chapter 1?
(b) Sioux River.
(c) Filmore County.
(d) Sioux Falls.
2. What has Per Hansa had to do because of the growth of his farm?
(a) Hire extra hands.
(b) Build more houses.
(c) Sell his land.
(d) Have more children.
3. What does Beret persuade Per Hansa to build?
(a) A wagon.
(b) A cupboard.
(c) A chest.
(d) A bed.
4. Where does Henry Solum conduct his school?
(a) The location rotates among the houses.
(b) From his brother Sam's house.
(c) Henry Solum does not teach school.
(d) From Per Hansa's house always.
5. What does Henry Solum offer to Per Hansa for the winter?
(a) His cow.
(b) His books.
(c) His wagon.
(d) His labor.
6. Which of the following is NOT something that Per Hansa tells Torkel Tallaksen to invest his money in?
(c) Fish nets.
7. What activity do Per Hansa and his boys engage in for three days to prepare for winter?
(b) Bear hunting.
(c) Wood cutting.
(d) Duck hunting.
8. What does Per Hansa buy with money from buying and selling furs?
(a) A new suit.
(b) A plow.
(c) A heifer.
(d) An oak tree.
9. Why do the women suggest that Per Hansa quickly christen his new child after birth?
(a) The baby is not breathing.
(b) They need to tell Beret his name.
(c) The baby is so frail he might not survive.
(d) They need to make a birth certificate.
10. What rains down from the strange storm clouds as the men harvest the wheat in Book 2, Chapter 2?
11. What is the name of the Indian settlement where Per Hansa travels to buy furs?
12. Which of the following best describes Beret in the final chapter?
(a) Totally insane.
(b) Moderately crazy.
(c) Near death.
(d) Intensely pious.
13. What does Beret insist that Hans Olsa do before he dies?
(a) Seek forgiveness for his sins.
(b) See the flowers of Spring.
(c) Tell them his last wishes.
(d) Kiss his wife.
14. What does the woman who was tied up when she came to Spring Creek try to do in the middle of the night?
(a) She tries to steal And-Ongen.
(b) She runs away with Hans Olsa.
(c) She tries to burn the sod house down.
(d) She tries to steal Per Hansa's gun.
15. Where is Per Hansa headed to look for the minister?
(a) The James River settlement.
(b) The Spring Creek settlement.
(d) Sioux Falls.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Per Hansa react to Beret's preaching?
2. Who becomes frustrated at Per Hansa's refusal to harvest the wheat when others tell him it is time?
3. Why does Hans Olsa ride out to his third quarter in the middle of a snowstorm?
4. Who comes to ask Per Hansa if he will make the trip to find the minister?
5. Whom is the minister's communion Sunday service sermon about?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)