|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are the settlers when the question of changing their names comes up?
(b) By Spring Creek.
(c) Tonseten's house.
(d) Per Hansa's house.
2. Whose house does Per Hansa come upon after he is lost in the blizzard with his oxen?
(a) The Vossing family.
(b) Tonseten's house.
(c) The Hallings family.
(d) The Baarstad family.
3. What are the clouds becoming to Beret as she stares into them?
(a) A pony.
(b) Cotton balls.
(c) A scene of her homeland.
(d) The face of a monster.
4. What does the minister say his communion Sunday sermon teaches?
(a) The love of a mother.
(b) The blessings of hard work.
(c) The strength of marriage.
(d) The evil of pride.
5. When does the snow first fall on the settlement at Spring Creek?
(a) Late October.
(b) Early January.
(c) Early October.
(d) Late November.
6. How long do the locusts plague the settlers?
(a) One year.
(b) Seven years.
(c) Seventeen years.
(d) Six years.
7. What day is it when Ola and Store-Hans come to tell their father that the seeds have sprouted?
8. Who asks Tonseten to marry a couple for which he still feels guilt over marrying?
(a) Per Hansa.
(b) Rolf Hansen.
(c) Halvor Hagg.
(d) Torkel Tallaksen.
9. Why does Hans Olsa ride out to his third quarter in the middle of a snowstorm?
(a) To look after his cattle.
(b) To get some lumber.
(c) To visit Per Hansa.
(d) To bury his dog.
10. Where does Henry Solum conduct his school?
(a) From Per Hansa's house always.
(b) Henry Solum does not teach school.
(c) From his brother Sam's house.
(d) The location rotates among the houses.
11. What type of meat do the Hansas share with their neighbors?
12. Where do they find Store-Hans after the minister's first service?
(a) At Hans Olsa's.
(b) At the swamp where the ducks live.
(c) The Indian grave mound.
(d) Inside the barn.
13. What does Per Hansa find when he goes to check on Beret after harvesting the wheat?
(a) She has run away with the children.
(b) She has burned the house down.
(c) She has barricaded the door.
(d) She has made a large supper.
14. Why do the women suggest that Per Hansa quickly christen his new child after birth?
(a) They need to tell Beret his name.
(b) The baby is so frail he might not survive.
(c) They need to make a birth certificate.
(d) The baby is not breathing.
15. What does Torkel Tallaksen want to build?
(a) A large barn.
(b) Spring Creek's first store.
(c) A wooden house.
(d) A church.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something that Per Hansa tells Torkel Tallaksen to invest his money in?
2. When do the men realize they must make a trip for more wood in Book 2, Chapter 1?
3. What does the minister ask of the people of the house when he first arrives?
4. How does the minister react when Tonseten tells him about his transgression?
5. What activity do Per Hansa and his boys engage in for three days to prepare for winter?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)