|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who protests Peder Seier being baptized by the minister?
(c) Per Hansa.
(d) Hans Olsa.
2. Who becomes frustrated at Per Hansa's refusal to harvest the wheat when others tell him it is time?
(a) Hans Olsa.
(b) Henry Solum.
(d) Torkel Tallaksen.
3. What does Henry Solum offer to Per Hansa for the winter?
(a) His wagon.
(b) His labor.
(c) His cow.
(d) His books.
4. When do the men realize they must make a trip for more wood in Book 2, Chapter 1?
5. What do the Solum boys build to help them return East?
(a) A wagon.
(b) A sleigh.
(c) A boat.
(d) A car.
6. What strange dream does Beret have before it actually happens?
(a) The arrival of the locusts.
(b) Her own death.
(c) Her mother's death.
(d) Per Hansa's injury.
7. Where does Henry Solum conduct his school?
(a) The location rotates among the houses.
(b) From Per Hansa's house always.
(c) Henry Solum does not teach school.
(d) From his brother Sam's house.
8. What happens two days after Per Hansa plants his wheat crop?
(a) Beret dies.
(b) There is a flood.
(c) He realizes he has planted the wrong seeds.
(d) A blizzard hits.
9. How long do the locusts plague the settlers?
(a) One year.
(b) Six years.
(c) Seventeen years.
(d) Seven years.
10. Why does Per Hansa check the ground before he plants?
(a) To see if there are any rocks or stones in the ground.
(b) To see how dry the soil is.
(c) To see how many worms are in the soil.
(d) To see if he has already planted seeds there.
11. What does the minister think about Peder Seier's name?
(a) It is a glorious name.
(b) It is a silly name.
(c) It is a blasphemous name.
(d) It is a bad name.
12. What does the minister ask of the people of the house when he first arrives?
(a) Directions to the next settlement.
(b) Food to take with him on his journey.
(c) Lodging for himself and his horse.
(d) Firewood for his campfire.
13. Whom is the minister's communion Sunday service sermon about?
(a) Beret Hansa.
(b) A Norwegian widow.
(d) A Scottish farmer.
14. What does Torkel Tallaksen want to build?
(a) A church.
(b) A large barn.
(c) A wooden house.
(d) Spring Creek's first store.
15. Who is Torkel Tallaksen?
(a) A cousin of Tonseten's.
(b) A Swedish man selling seed.
(c) An Irish farmer with a large family.
(d) A Norwegian newcomer with money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tonseten says that the settlers should take names that reflect what?
2. Why does Hans Olsa ride out to his third quarter in the middle of a snowstorm?
3. What is Per Hansa clutching in his hands when they find his body?
4. In which direction is Per looking when he dies?
5. What is the name of the Indian settlement where Per Hansa travels to buy furs?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)