|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose house does Per Hansa come upon after he is lost in the blizzard with his oxen?
(a) The Hallings family.
(b) The Vossing family.
(c) The Baarstad family.
(d) Tonseten's house.
2. What does the final chapter of the book open with?
(a) An argument between Kjersti and Tonseten.
(b) A hunting scene involving Per Hansa.
(c) A discussion of life faced by the pioneers.
(d) A discussion of Beret's illness.
3. What does Hans Olsa suggest Peder become when he grows up?
4. During their trip to gather more wood, what do the men do to avoid losing each other in the storm?
(a) Shout out to each other to stay close.
(b) Try to tie themselves together.
(c) All get into one wagon.
(d) Hunker down and camp for the night.
5. Why do the women suggest that Per Hansa quickly christen his new child after birth?
(a) The baby is so frail he might not survive.
(b) They need to tell Beret his name.
(c) The baby is not breathing.
(d) They need to make a birth certificate.
6. Which of the following best describes Beret in the final chapter?
(a) Intensely pious.
(b) Near death.
(c) Totally insane.
(d) Moderately crazy.
7. What does Hans Olsa find when he arrives on his third quarter during the snowstorm?
(a) The animal shed has been blown apart by the wind.
(b) The animal shed has burnt down.
(c) The cows have run away.
(d) There are people camping on his land.
8. What does Henry Solum offer to Per Hansa for the winter?
(a) His cow.
(b) His books.
(c) His labor.
(d) His wagon.
9. Who worries about the strain of divine services on Beret?
10. A couple arrives at Spring Creek and the woman is tied up in the wagon. What has happened to them?
(a) Their youngest child has died.
(b) The man has kidnapped the woman.
(c) The woman is a thief being transported to jail.
(d) The woman has tried to kill the man.
11. Who comes to compliment Per Hansa on his wise decision to plant early?
(a) Henry Solum.
(b) Hans Olsa.
(d) Torkel Tallaksen.
12. When Per Hansa gets lost in the blizzard, what does he begin to have hallucinations of?
(b) The Rocky Mountains.
(c) Beret and his children.
(d) The Atlantic Ocean.
13. Why does Hans Olsa ultimately decide to return home during the night in the snowstorm in Book 2, Chapter 4?
(a) Sorine will worry if he doesn't return home.
(b) His bed is more comfortable than the hay.
(c) He'd rather lose his life outside than with his cattle.
(d) Sorine is making a special meal.
14. When do the men realize they must make a trip for more wood in Book 2, Chapter 1?
15. What does Per Hansa name his new baby?
(a) Hans Peder.
(b) Kristian Seier.
(c) Peder Seier.
(d) Hans Per.
Short Answer Questions
1. What strange dream does Beret have before it actually happens?
2. In what month does the minister arrive to the settlement?
3. What activity do Per Hansa and his boys engage in for three days to prepare for winter?
4. Where does Henry Solum conduct his school?
5. Who is Torkel Tallaksen?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)