|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the minister say his communion Sunday sermon teaches?
(a) The strength of marriage.
(b) The love of a mother.
(c) The evil of pride.
(d) The blessings of hard work.
2. What does the final chapter of the book open with?
(a) An argument between Kjersti and Tonseten.
(b) A discussion of life faced by the pioneers.
(c) A hunting scene involving Per Hansa.
(d) A discussion of Beret's illness.
3. Why does Per Hansa check the ground before he plants?
(a) To see if there are any rocks or stones in the ground.
(b) To see how dry the soil is.
(c) To see how many worms are in the soil.
(d) To see if he has already planted seeds there.
4. Tonseten says that the settlers should take names that reflect what?
(a) Their personalities.
(b) Their occupations.
(c) Their new settlement.
(d) Their Norwegian heritage.
5. What sermon does the minister preach during his first service in the settlement?
(a) The Israelites and the land of Canaan.
(b) Jesus turning the water into wine.
(c) The ascension.
(d) The last supper.
6. Where does Per Hansa go to sell the furs that he buys at the Indian settlement?
(a) North Dakota.
7. What is Per Hansa clutching in his hands when they find his body?
(a) Beef jerky.
(c) Pictures of his kids.
8. What does Per Hansa buy with money from buying and selling furs?
(a) A heifer.
(b) An oak tree.
(c) A new suit.
(d) A plow.
9. Who does Hans Olsa ask Per Hansa to bring to him before he dies?
(a) The doctor.
(c) The minister.
10. What day does Beret go into labor?
(c) Christmas Eve.
(d) New Year's.
11. What does Beret say living in a sod house does?
(a) Turns people into animals.
(b) Ruins the family's clothing.
(c) Helps save money for the future.
(d) Keeps the family warm at night.
12. Who is Torkel Tallaksen?
(a) A Norwegian newcomer with money.
(b) An Irish farmer with a large family.
(c) A Swedish man selling seed.
(d) A cousin of Tonseten's.
13. What does Beret persuade Per Hansa to build?
(a) A wagon.
(b) A cupboard.
(c) A bed.
(d) A chest.
14. Who teaches Per Hansa how to fish?
(a) The Tronders.
(b) Hans Olsa.
(c) The Hallings.
15. Why does Hans Olsa ride out to his third quarter in the middle of a snowstorm?
(a) To look after his cattle.
(b) To bury his dog.
(c) To get some lumber.
(d) To visit Per Hansa.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what years does the winter snow fall from mid-October to mid-April?
2. Who asks Tonseten to marry a couple for which he still feels guilt over marrying?
3. What does Hans Olsa suggest Peder become when he grows up?
4. What does Sorine do when Hans Olsa returns home during the snowstorm?
5. What does Per Hansa consider doing while Beret is in labor?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)