|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens two days after Per Hansa plants his wheat crop?
(a) A blizzard hits.
(b) Beret dies.
(c) There is a flood.
(d) He realizes he has planted the wrong seeds.
2. What does Henry Solum offer to Per Hansa for the winter?
(a) His labor.
(b) His cow.
(c) His wagon.
(d) His books.
3. Which of the following best describes Beret in the final chapter?
(a) Totally insane.
(b) Near death.
(c) Moderately crazy.
(d) Intensely pious.
4. What does Per Hansa do after he returns home from the Hallings?
(a) Plants potatoes.
(b) Whitewashes the walls.
(c) Feeds the cows.
(d) Gets sick.
5. How does Per Hansa react to Beret's preaching?
(a) He hangs on her every word.
(b) He does not take it seriously.
(c) He is very proud of her.
(d) He yells at her.
6. What does Per Hansa consider doing while Beret is in labor?
(a) Feeding the cows.
(b) Helping with the birth.
(c) Plowing the fields.
(d) Hanging himself.
7. What does Beret insist that Hans Olsa do before he dies?
(a) See the flowers of Spring.
(b) Seek forgiveness for his sins.
(c) Tell them his last wishes.
(d) Kiss his wife.
8. A couple arrives at Spring Creek and the woman is tied up in the wagon. What has happened to them?
(a) The man has kidnapped the woman.
(b) The woman is a thief being transported to jail.
(c) The woman has tried to kill the man.
(d) Their youngest child has died.
9. What type of meat do the Hansas share with their neighbors?
10. What do the neighbors liken the whitewashed walls of his house to?
(a) Egg shells.
(c) Bird droppings.
11. What does Per Hansa find when he goes to check on Beret after harvesting the wheat?
(a) She has burned the house down.
(b) She has run away with the children.
(c) She has barricaded the door.
(d) She has made a large supper.
12. Whose house does the minister arrive at first?
(a) Torkel Tallaksen's.
(b) Hans Olsa's.
(d) Per Hansa's.
13. What does Beret say living in a sod house does?
(a) Turns people into animals.
(b) Keeps the family warm at night.
(c) Helps save money for the future.
(d) Ruins the family's clothing.
14. What does Hans Olsa offer to Per Hansa after the minister leaves?
(a) To have Sorine stay with Beret.
(b) To take Peder Seier to live with them.
(c) To take him to town for more supplies.
(d) To be the full-time minister.
15. What does Per Hansa think his wife's strange behavior is caused by?
(a) Her pregnancy.
(b) Food poisoning.
(c) Her gender.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Per Hansa name his new baby?
2. Where does Per Hansa go to sell the furs that he buys at the Indian settlement?
3. Who comes to ask Per Hansa if he will make the trip to find the minister?
4. What are the clouds becoming to Beret as she stares into them?
5. What does Per Hansa buy with money from buying and selling furs?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)