|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Beret tell Per Hansa that it does no good to cry?
(a) Crying doesn't accomplish anything.
(b) It will make everyone else upset too.
(c) It will set a bad example for the children.
(d) There is no one in the place to hear him.
2. What are the clouds becoming to Beret as she stares into them?
(a) A pony.
(b) A scene of her homeland.
(c) The face of a monster.
(d) Cotton balls.
3. Who calls Per Hansa a fool for planting too early?
(c) Hans Olsa.
4. What is the name of the Indian settlement where Per Hansa travels to buy furs?
5. Who worries about the strain of divine services on Beret?
6. Where is Per Hansa headed to look for the minister?
(a) The James River settlement.
(b) The Spring Creek settlement.
(c) Sioux Falls.
7. In what years does the winter snow fall from mid-October to mid-April?
8. How long do the locusts plague the settlers?
(a) Seven years.
(b) Seventeen years.
(c) Six years.
(d) One year.
9. What day is it when Ola and Store-Hans come to tell their father that the seeds have sprouted?
10. Whose house does the minister arrive at first?
(a) Per Hansa's.
(b) Hans Olsa's.
(d) Torkel Tallaksen's.
11. In which direction is Per looking when he dies?
12. Who does Hans Olsa ask Per Hansa to bring to him before he dies?
(a) The doctor.
(c) The minister.
13. What does Per Hansa do after he returns home from the Hallings?
(a) Feeds the cows.
(b) Whitewashes the walls.
(c) Gets sick.
(d) Plants potatoes.
14. What does Beret say living in a sod house does?
(a) Turns people into animals.
(b) Ruins the family's clothing.
(c) Helps save money for the future.
(d) Keeps the family warm at night.
15. Why does Per Hansa check the ground before he plants?
(a) To see if he has already planted seeds there.
(b) To see how many worms are in the soil.
(c) To see how dry the soil is.
(d) To see if there are any rocks or stones in the ground.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sorine do when Hans Olsa returns home during the snowstorm?
2. Who becomes frustrated at Per Hansa's refusal to harvest the wheat when others tell him it is time?
3. What does Henry Solum offer to Per Hansa for the winter?
4. What does Store-Hans ask Per after the minister's first service?
5. What does the minister say his communion Sunday sermon teaches?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)