|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Torkel Tallaksen want to build?
(a) A church.
(b) A wooden house.
(c) A large barn.
(d) Spring Creek's first store.
2. In what month does the minister arrive to the settlement?
3. Why do Per Hansa and his sons sift through the seed before they plant them?
(a) To remove any bad seeds.
(b) To remove any rocks that may have mixed in.
(c) To let some air into the seed bags.
(d) To make sure they are all the same kind.
4. What strange dream does Beret have before it actually happens?
(a) The arrival of the locusts.
(b) Her own death.
(c) Per Hansa's injury.
(d) Her mother's death.
5. What name does Sorine suggest that Per Hansa use as his new name?
6. Where does Per Hansa go to sell the furs that he buys at the Indian settlement?
(a) North Dakota.
7. Where is Per Hansa headed to look for the minister?
(b) The James River settlement.
(c) Sioux Falls.
(d) The Spring Creek settlement.
8. What does Per Hansa name his new baby?
(a) Peder Seier.
(b) Kristian Seier.
(c) Hans Per.
(d) Hans Peder.
9. What does Per Hansa consider doing while Beret is in labor?
(a) Plowing the fields.
(b) Feeding the cows.
(c) Helping with the birth.
(d) Hanging himself.
10. How much money does Per make buying and selling furs the first year?
(a) 50 dollars.
(b) 85 dollars.
(c) 140 dollars.
(d) 210 dollars.
11. What sermon does the minister preach during his first service in the settlement?
(a) Jesus turning the water into wine.
(b) The last supper.
(c) The ascension.
(d) The Israelites and the land of Canaan.
12. What does Beret believe will become of herself and her baby?
(a) They will die in labor.
(b) Per Hansa will abandon them.
(c) They will become very close.
(d) They will be sent back East.
13. What does Hans Olsa suggest Peder become when he grows up?
14. What activity do Per Hansa and his boys engage in for three days to prepare for winter?
(a) Wood cutting.
(b) Bear hunting.
(d) Duck hunting.
15. Why does Hans Olsa ultimately decide to return home during the night in the snowstorm in Book 2, Chapter 4?
(a) Sorine is making a special meal.
(b) He'd rather lose his life outside than with his cattle.
(c) His bed is more comfortable than the hay.
(d) Sorine will worry if he doesn't return home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beret persuade Per Hansa to build?
2. What does Beret say living in a sod house does?
3. What does the woman who was tied up when she came to Spring Creek try to do in the middle of the night?
4. Who worries about the strain of divine services on Beret?
5. What does Hans Olsa find when he arrives on his third quarter during the snowstorm?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)