|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who worries about the strain of divine services on Beret?
2. Who protests Peder Seier being baptized by the minister?
(a) Hans Olsa.
(c) Per Hansa.
3. Where are the settlers when the question of changing their names comes up?
(a) Per Hansa's house.
(b) By Spring Creek.
(c) Tonseten's house.
4. How long do the locusts plague the settlers?
(a) Six years.
(b) One year.
(c) Seven years.
(d) Seventeen years.
5. Where do they find Store-Hans after the minister's first service?
(a) Inside the barn.
(b) At Hans Olsa's.
(c) The Indian grave mound.
(d) At the swamp where the ducks live.
6. What is the name of the Irishwoman that Per Hansa fetches to help Hans Olsa?
(b) Crazy Bridget.
(c) Silly Sue.
(d) Crazy Katie.
7. A couple arrives at Spring Creek and the woman is tied up in the wagon. What has happened to them?
(a) Their youngest child has died.
(b) The woman has tried to kill the man.
(c) The man has kidnapped the woman.
(d) The woman is a thief being transported to jail.
8. What does Beret persuade Per Hansa to build?
(a) A bed.
(b) A cupboard.
(c) A chest.
(d) A wagon.
9. What sermon does the minister preach during his first service in the settlement?
(a) The last supper.
(b) Jesus turning the water into wine.
(c) The ascension.
(d) The Israelites and the land of Canaan.
10. What happens two days after Per Hansa plants his wheat crop?
(a) A blizzard hits.
(b) He realizes he has planted the wrong seeds.
(c) There is a flood.
(d) Beret dies.
11. What does Sorine do when Hans Olsa returns home during the snowstorm?
(a) Scolds him for staying out late.
(b) Gets him some soup.
(c) Bundles him off to bed.
(d) Puts him in the bathtub.
12. What does the minister say his communion Sunday sermon teaches?
(a) The strength of marriage.
(b) The evil of pride.
(c) The blessings of hard work.
(d) The love of a mother.
13. What day does Beret go into labor?
(c) New Year's.
(d) Christmas Eve.
14. Why do Per Hansa and his sons sift through the seed before they plant them?
(a) To remove any bad seeds.
(b) To let some air into the seed bags.
(c) To make sure they are all the same kind.
(d) To remove any rocks that may have mixed in.
15. Who calls Per Hansa a fool for planting too early?
(d) Hans Olsa.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of meat do the Hansas share with their neighbors?
2. Why does Hans Olsa ultimately decide to return home during the night in the snowstorm in Book 2, Chapter 4?
3. What does Beret say living in a sod house does?
4. What does Hans Olsa suggest Peder become when he grows up?
5. Where is Per Hansa headed to look for the minister?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)