|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who asks Tonseten to marry a couple for which he still feels guilt over marrying?
(a) Halvor Hagg.
(b) Rolf Hansen.
(c) Torkel Tallaksen.
(d) Per Hansa.
2. What does the minister think about Peder Seier's name?
(a) It is a glorious name.
(b) It is a silly name.
(c) It is a bad name.
(d) It is a blasphemous name.
3. What day is it when Ola and Store-Hans come to tell their father that the seeds have sprouted?
4. What do the Solum boys build to help them return East?
(a) A sleigh.
(b) A wagon.
(c) A car.
(d) A boat.
5. How long do the locusts plague the settlers?
(a) Six years.
(b) Seventeen years.
(c) Seven years.
(d) One year.
6. What is another name for Peder Seier?
(a) Hans Per.
7. What does the final chapter of the book open with?
(a) A hunting scene involving Per Hansa.
(b) An argument between Kjersti and Tonseten.
(c) A discussion of life faced by the pioneers.
(d) A discussion of Beret's illness.
8. What day does Beret go into labor?
(b) Christmas Eve.
(c) New Year's.
9. What do the neighbors liken the whitewashed walls of his house to?
(c) Egg shells.
(d) Bird droppings.
10. What rains down from the strange storm clouds as the men harvest the wheat in Book 2, Chapter 2?
11. How much money does Per make buying and selling furs the first year?
(a) 50 dollars.
(b) 210 dollars.
(c) 140 dollars.
(d) 85 dollars.
12. What does Hans Olsa suggest Peder become when he grows up?
13. How much can Per Hansa buy furs for at the Indian settlement that sells them?
(a) Ten cents.
(b) Twenty cents.
(c) Five cents.
(d) One dollar.
14. When do the men realize they must make a trip for more wood in Book 2, Chapter 1?
15. What happens two days after Per Hansa plants his wheat crop?
(a) There is a flood.
(b) A blizzard hits.
(c) He realizes he has planted the wrong seeds.
(d) Beret dies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tonseten says that the settlers should take names that reflect what?
2. What activity do Per Hansa and his boys engage in for three days to prepare for winter?
3. What is the name of the Indian settlement where Per Hansa travels to buy furs?
4. What does Per Hansa do after he returns home from the Hallings?
5. Who becomes frustrated at Per Hansa's refusal to harvest the wheat when others tell him it is time?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)