|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the minister react when Tonseten tells him about his transgression?
(a) He scolds him.
(b) He lashes him.
(c) He laughs.
(d) He gives him penance to perform.
2. In which direction is Per looking when he dies?
3. What does Beret persuade Per Hansa to build?
(a) A cupboard.
(b) A chest.
(c) A bed.
(d) A wagon.
4. What is Per Hansa clutching in his hands when they find his body?
(a) Beef jerky.
(d) Pictures of his kids.
5. How does Per Hansa react to Beret's preaching?
(a) He hangs on her every word.
(b) He is very proud of her.
(c) He yells at her.
(d) He does not take it seriously.
6. What name does Sorine suggest that Per Hansa use as his new name?
7. What does Beret call the blizzards?
8. In what years does the winter snow fall from mid-October to mid-April?
9. Where do they find Store-Hans after the minister's first service?
(a) At the swamp where the ducks live.
(b) Inside the barn.
(c) The Indian grave mound.
(d) At Hans Olsa's.
10. Where is Per Hansa headed to look for the minister?
(b) The Spring Creek settlement.
(c) Sioux Falls.
(d) The James River settlement.
11. What type of meat do the Hansas share with their neighbors?
12. What does Per Hansa consider doing while Beret is in labor?
(a) Helping with the birth.
(b) Feeding the cows.
(c) Hanging himself.
(d) Plowing the fields.
13. What does Per Hansa buy with money from buying and selling furs?
(a) A new suit.
(b) A plow.
(c) An oak tree.
(d) A heifer.
14. What does Per Hansa think his wife's strange behavior is caused by?
(a) Her pregnancy.
(b) Her gender.
(c) Food poisoning.
15. Who worries about the strain of divine services on Beret?
Short Answer Questions
1. What strange dream does Beret have before it actually happens?
2. What day is it when Ola and Store-Hans come to tell their father that the seeds have sprouted?
3. What has Per Hansa had to do because of the growth of his farm?
4. What does Store-Hans ask Per after the minister's first service?
5. What are the clouds becoming to Beret as she stares into them?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)