|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name does Per Hansa refuse to let Beret be known by?
2. What do the neighbors liken the whitewashed walls of his house to?
(b) Egg shells.
(d) Bird droppings.
3. What day does Beret go into labor?
(a) New Year's.
(b) Christmas Eve.
4. Where does the minister perform divine services?
(a) Hans Olsa's house.
(b) Per Hansa's house.
(c) Tonseten's house.
(d) The community center.
5. Where is Per Hansa headed to look for the minister?
(a) The Spring Creek settlement.
(b) The James River settlement.
(c) Sioux Falls.
6. What rains down from the strange storm clouds as the men harvest the wheat in Book 2, Chapter 2?
7. What is the name of the Irishwoman that Per Hansa fetches to help Hans Olsa?
(b) Silly Sue.
(c) Crazy Bridget.
(d) Crazy Katie.
8. How much can Per Hansa buy furs for at the Indian settlement that sells them?
(a) Twenty cents.
(b) One dollar.
(c) Ten cents.
(d) Five cents.
9. Who protests Peder Seier being baptized by the minister?
(b) Hans Olsa.
(c) Per Hansa.
10. Why does Beret tell Per Hansa that it does no good to cry?
(a) It will set a bad example for the children.
(b) Crying doesn't accomplish anything.
(c) It will make everyone else upset too.
(d) There is no one in the place to hear him.
11. What sermon does the minister preach during his first service in the settlement?
(a) Jesus turning the water into wine.
(b) The ascension.
(c) The last supper.
(d) The Israelites and the land of Canaan.
12. Why do Per Hansa and his sons sift through the seed before they plant them?
(a) To remove any bad seeds.
(b) To make sure they are all the same kind.
(c) To let some air into the seed bags.
(d) To remove any rocks that may have mixed in.
13. How long do the locusts plague the settlers?
(a) Seventeen years.
(b) Six years.
(c) One year.
(d) Seven years.
14. Whose house does the minister arrive at first?
(b) Per Hansa's.
(c) Torkel Tallaksen's.
(d) Hans Olsa's.
15. What does the final chapter of the book open with?
(a) A discussion of life faced by the pioneers.
(b) A hunting scene involving Per Hansa.
(c) A discussion of Beret's illness.
(d) An argument between Kjersti and Tonseten.
Short Answer Questions
1. Per Hansa thinks that his wife is too _______ for a pregnant woman.
2. Who comes to compliment Per Hansa on his wise decision to plant early?
3. What does Per Hansa name his new baby?
4. What is Per Hansa clutching in his hands when they find his body?
5. Who does the minister want to baptize?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)