|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Hans Olsa's wife?
2. What does Beret trip over as she leaves the house after a fight with Per Hansa, at the end of Book 1, Chapter 4?
(a) Her own shoe.
(b) A child's toy.
(c) A plow.
(d) The cow.
3. What does the injured Indian give Per Hansa in exchange for helping him?
(a) A sack of flour.
(b) A pony.
(c) A tobacco pipe.
(d) A cowhide.
4. What chore does Per Hansa give to Ole while he is away at town?
(a) Barter for lumber.
(b) Hunt ducks.
(c) Chop wood.
(d) Mow the lawn.
5. What is the first crop that Per Hansa wants to plant on his land?
6. Who does Per Hansa send down to the creek to look for the missing cows?
(a) Hans Olsa.
7. What is the name of the Hansas' rifle?
(a) Sweet Caroline.
(c) Old Maria.
(d) Old Faithful.
8. Who gets into a physical fight with one of the men from the large caravan?
(a) Henry Solum.
(b) Sam Solum.
(c) Per Hansa.
(d) Hans Olsa.
9. What does the name And-Ongen mean?
(a) The kitten.
(b) The duckling.
(c) The ugly one.
(d) The mother.
10. What is it that the settlers are particularly afraid of?
(b) Indian encounters.
(c) Losing their children.
11. Who helps Per Hansa clean the sick Indian's injury?
12. What does the name Store-Hans mean?
(a) Little Hans.
(b) Helpful hands.
(c) Little hands.
(d) Big Hans.
13. What place does Per Hansa hope to find when he leaves the camp in the middle of the night?
(a) An Indian village.
(b) The city of Jackson.
(c) The Dakota Territory.
(d) Split Rock Creek.
14. How many wagons does the large caravan that was the second to arrive at Spring Creek consist of?
15. What is the name of Kjersti's cow?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT one of the men who will travel to town in Book 1, Chapter 3?
2. What is the name of the Hansa's cow?
3. Who is the author of Giants of the Earth?
4. Where do the settlers wait for Per Hansa to return from searching for the cows?
5. Who is Per Hansa?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)