|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the interpreter in the conversation between the men of the large caravan and the settlers of Spring Creek?
(a) Sam Solum.
(d) Per Hansa.
2. What illness does Tonseten suffer from?
3. Who is Per Hansa?
(a) The main female character of the book.
(b) The main male character of the book.
(c) The main family's oldest child.
(d) A shopkeeper who helps the family with supplies.
4. In Book 1, Chapter 1, what is the family doing?
(a) Moving to a new place.
(b) Going to town for supplies.
(c) Fleeing from persecution.
(d) Going to visit their cousins.
5. Why do the members of the large caravan, who had decided to settle close to Spring Creek, come to Per Hansa's farm?
(a) To buy potatoes.
(b) To sell some whiskey.
(c) To borrow farming equipment.
(d) To demand he leave the settlement.
6. What is Hans Olsa doing at the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 2?
(b) Plowing his fields.
(c) Building a sod house.
(d) Talking to a friend.
7. What is Per Hansa's purpose for buying the twine and knitting a net?
(a) To catch ducks.
(b) To hold their clothing.
(c) To keep the mosquitoes out.
(d) To catch rainwater.
8. Where do the boys tell Per Hansa that the red welts on their bodies came from?
(a) They got into poison ivy.
(b) Beret struck them.
(c) They fell off the roof.
(d) They were fighting.
9. Where do the settlers have to go to make their claim to the land official?
(a) Hillside Colony.
(b) Silver City.
(c) Sioux Falls.
(d) Des Moines.
10. Which of the following is NOT one of the Hansa children?
(c) Hans Kristian.
11. Why does Per Hans walk so far ahead of the caravan?
(a) He has a lot of energy to burn off.
(b) He has to flatten the grass so the caravan can pass.
(c) He is lost and doesn't want to tell his wife.
(d) He doesn't like his family.
12. What is the name on the stake that Per Hansa finds in the ground at Hans Olsa's southwest corner?
(b) Joe Gill.
(c) John Wright.
(d) H. Olsen.
13. What type of injury does the sick Indian have?
(a) A broken leg.
(b) A hand wound.
(c) A head wound.
(d) A torn muscle.
14. Who does Per Hansa take with him to meet the Indians?
(c) Sam Solum.
(d) Hans Olsa.
15. What is the name of Kjersti's cow?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who in Per Hansa's family believes the family should travel back east for the winter?
2. Where are the four men, the first small caravan to visit the settlement, from?
3. What does Per Hansa ask the Indians for?
4. Where does Beret Hansa remember the family landed when they crossed the ocean from Norway?
5. What does Per Hansa find on his plot of land when he first goes to inspect it?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)