|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children are in the Hansa family?
2. What is the name of the Hansa's cow?
3. What is Tonseten's first name?
4. Where do the boys tell Per Hansa that the red welts on their bodies came from?
(a) They got into poison ivy.
(b) They were fighting.
(c) They fell off the roof.
(d) Beret struck them.
5. What does Per Hansa ask the Indians for?
6. What is the date on which Per Hansa receives a deed to the property he has claimed?
(a) January 26, 1903.
(b) June 21, 1892.
(c) June 6, 1873.
(d) July 4, 1776.
7. What does Per Hansa find on his plot of land when he first goes to inspect it?
(a) A garden.
(b) A fox.
(c) A grave.
(d) A gun.
8. Who are the spokesmen between the men of the large caravan and the settlers of Spring Creek?
(a) Tonseten and Harry Solum.
(b) Sam Solum and Per Hansa.
(c) Hans Olsa and Tonseten.
(d) Hans Olsa and Harry Solum.
9. What does the name Store-Hans mean?
(a) Helpful hands.
(b) Little hands.
(c) Little Hans.
(d) Big Hans.
10. What is the name of Hans Olsa's daughter?
11. What is Tonseten's problem with Per Hansa's house as he is building it?
(a) He thinks it is too small.
(b) He thinks the walls are crooked.
(c) He thinks it won't stand up to the wind.
(d) He thinks it is too big.
12. Who is the author of Giants of the Earth?
(a) O. E. Rölvaag.
(b) R. E. Olefsön.
(c) E. O. Hansa.
(d) R. O. Elvög.
13. How do the settlers celebrate the safe return of the men from town?
(a) Exchange gifts.
(c) Drink liquor.
(d) Have a big dinner.
14. Who is the interpreter in the conversation between the men of the large caravan and the settlers of Spring Creek?
(b) Per Hansa.
(c) Sam Solum.
15. Why does Per Hans walk so far ahead of the caravan?
(a) He has a lot of energy to burn off.
(b) He is lost and doesn't want to tell his wife.
(c) He doesn't like his family.
(d) He has to flatten the grass so the caravan can pass.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Per Hansa do after he finds the stakes in the ground?
2. What does Per Hansa bring back to camp in Book 1, Chapter 1 to appease his wife?
3. Of what nationality is the large caravan that was the second to arrive at Spring Creek?
4. As the novel opens, what time of day is it?
5. What illness does Tonseten suffer from?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)