|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the journey of the Hansa family begin?
2. What does the name And-Ongen mean?
(a) The ugly one.
(b) The duckling.
(c) The mother.
(d) The kitten.
3. Of what nationality is the large caravan that was the second to arrive at Spring Creek?
4. What does Per Hansa name the pony that is given to him by the Indian chief?
5. What is the date on which Per Hansa receives a deed to the property he has claimed?
(a) June 6, 1873.
(b) January 26, 1903.
(c) July 4, 1776.
(d) June 21, 1892.
6. What is the name of the Hansas' rifle?
(b) Old Maria.
(c) Old Faithful.
(d) Sweet Caroline.
7. What is the name of Hans Olsa's daughter?
8. What task does Per Hansa give to Ola when he returns from town in Book 1, Chapter 5?
(a) To feed the horse.
(b) To hunt for bears.
(c) To chop wood.
(d) To knit the net.
9. Where does Beret Hansa remember the family landed when they crossed the ocean from Norway?
(c) New York.
10. What place does Per Hansa hope to find when he leaves the camp in the middle of the night?
(a) An Indian village.
(b) Split Rock Creek.
(c) The Dakota Territory.
(d) The city of Jackson.
11. Who is Per Hansa?
(a) The main male character of the book.
(b) The main female character of the book.
(c) A shopkeeper who helps the family with supplies.
(d) The main family's oldest child.
12. What is Tonseten's problem with Per Hansa's house as he is building it?
(a) He thinks it won't stand up to the wind.
(b) He thinks it is too small.
(c) He thinks the walls are crooked.
(d) He thinks it is too big.
13. What town does Per Hansa travel to in Book 1, Chapter 5 to get supplies?
(c) Sioux Falls.
14. What is the name of Hans Olsa's wife?
15. Who gets into a physical fight with one of the men from the large caravan?
(a) Henry Solum.
(b) Per Hansa.
(c) Hans Olsa.
(d) Sam Solum.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following do the men bring back from their trip to town for Per Hansa?
2. How old is Hans Olsa's daughter?
3. By what means is the Hansa family traveling?
4. Who, in Book 1, Chapter 4, says, "We need a preacher, I hear...Well, now we've got one!"?
5. What chore does Per Hansa give to Ole while he is away at town?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)