|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is most upset that Rosie is missing?
(a) Hans Olsa.
(b) Per Hansa.
2. Where does Beret Hansa remember the family landed when they crossed the ocean from Norway?
(c) New York.
3. How much does the Tronder woman charge Per Hansa for borrowing her bull for a year?
(a) Fifty dollars.
(b) Twenty dollars.
(c) Ten dollars.
(d) Five dollars.
4. Which of the following do the men bring back from their trip to town for Per Hansa?
(a) A bottle of whiskey.
(b) A plow.
(c) A horse.
(d) A mowing machine.
5. Where is the Hansa family headed?
(a) Dakota Territory.
(d) Utah Territory.
6. What kind of trees does Per Hansa bring back to plant around the house?
7. What task does Per Hansa give to Ola when he returns from town in Book 1, Chapter 5?
(a) To knit the net.
(b) To chop wood.
(c) To hunt for bears.
(d) To feed the horse.
8. What is Hans Olsa doing at the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 2?
(a) Talking to a friend.
(c) Plowing his fields.
(d) Building a sod house.
9. How many wagons are in the first group of Norwegian settlers that come to Spring Creek?
10. Which of the following does NOT describe Tonseten?
(b) Rosy cheeks.
(d) Red beard.
11. Where does Per Hansa tell Hans Olsa he will go to look for the cows?
(a) To the Indian settlement.
(b) To the creek.
(c) To Sioux Falls.
(d) To the Sioux River.
12. What kind of food does the Hansa family have to eat every night?
13. In Book 1, Chapter 1, what is the family doing?
(a) Moving to a new place.
(b) Going to town for supplies.
(c) Fleeing from persecution.
(d) Going to visit their cousins.
14. What does Per Hansa ask the Indians for?
15. ***Which of the following is NOT one of the items that Per Hansa barters for on his visit to town in Book 1, Chapter 5?
(d) A cow.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the place where the ducks live remind Per Hansa of?
2. Where are the four men, the first small caravan to visit the settlement, from?
3. Which of the following is NOT one of the men who will travel to town in Book 1, Chapter 3?
4. What is the name of Hans Olsa's wife?
5. Who finds the ducks on the prairie?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)