|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Per Hansa tell Hans Olsa he will go to look for the cows?
(a) To the creek.
(b) To the Indian settlement.
(c) To the Sioux River.
(d) To Sioux Falls.
2. Where do the settlers wait for Per Hansa to return from searching for the cows?
(a) At Henry Solum's house.
(b) At Beret's house.
(c) At Hans Olsa's house.
(d) By the creek.
3. What does Per Hansa ask the Indians for?
4. Who does Per Hansa send down to the creek to look for the missing cows?
(a) Hans Olsa.
5. What animal does Tonseten say he manages to hunt and kill using his crowbar?
(a) A duck.
(b) A bear.
(c) A coyote.
(d) A deer.
6. What does the name And-Ongen mean?
(a) The mother.
(b) The kitten.
(c) The ugly one.
(d) The duckling.
7. Who in Per Hansa's family believes the family should travel back east for the winter?
(a) Per Hansa.
8. By what means is the Hansa family traveling?
(c) Covered wagon.
9. Which of the following do the men bring back from their trip to town for Per Hansa?
(a) A bottle of whiskey.
(b) A mowing machine.
(c) A plow.
(d) A horse.
10. Who does Per Hansa take with him to meet the Indians?
(b) Hans Olsa.
(d) Sam Solum.
11. Who gets into a physical fight with one of the men from the large caravan?
(a) Hans Olsa.
(b) Per Hansa.
(c) Sam Solum.
(d) Henry Solum.
12. What does Beret make for breakfast using the flour before Per goes to see the Hallings?
13. As the novel opens, what time of day is it?
(a) Early morning.
(b) Late afternoon.
(c) Late morning.
(d) Early afternoon.
14. What does Hans Olsa tell Per Hansa he has lost on his journey to their new home?
(a) A horse.
(b) A mutton leg.
(c) A pair of pants.
(d) Cooking supplies.
15. What does Per Hansa name the pony that is given to him by the Indian chief?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "The guilty will receive their punishment in the end"?
2. What does Beret attack her boys with?
3. Who is the first to notice that the cows have gone missing after the men arrive home from town?
4. How do the settlers celebrate the safe return of the men from town?
5. What is Hans Olsa doing at the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 2?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)