|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the men have to take a trip to town in the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 3?
(a) To buy more seeds.
(b) To gather wood.
(c) To replenish the food supply.
(d) To get people to join the settlement.
2. Of what nationality is the large caravan that was the second to arrive at Spring Creek?
3. Who gives the new Norwegian settlers a tour of Spring Creek?
4. What chore does Per Hansa give to Ole while he is away at town?
(a) Mow the lawn.
(b) Barter for lumber.
(c) Chop wood.
(d) Hunt ducks.
5. As the novel opens, what time of day is it?
(a) Late morning.
(b) Late afternoon.
(c) Early morning.
(d) Early afternoon.
6. What does Hans Olsa tell Per Hansa he has lost on his journey to their new home?
(a) A pair of pants.
(b) A horse.
(c) A mutton leg.
(d) Cooking supplies.
7. How many men are in the first group of Norwegian settlers that come to Spring Creek?
8. Which of the following is NOT one of the Hansa children?
(b) Hans Kristian.
9. Which of the following does NOT describe the physical appearance of Per Hansa?
(d) Brown hair.
10. What is the name of Tonseten's wife?
11. Who does Per Hansa take with him to meet the Indians?
(a) Hans Olsa.
(b) Sam Solum.
12. Who is the interpreter in the conversation between the men of the large caravan and the settlers of Spring Creek?
(b) Sam Solum.
(d) Per Hansa.
13. What kind of trees does Per Hansa bring back to plant around the house?
14. What is the name on the stake that Per Hansa finds in the ground at Hans Olsa's southwest corner?
(a) Joe Gill.
(c) H. Olsen.
(d) John Wright.
15. What does Beret make for breakfast using the flour before Per goes to see the Hallings?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book 1, Chapter 1, what is the family doing?
2. What is the name of Kjersti's cow?
3. Who says, "The guilty will receive their punishment in the end"?
4. What does Per Hansa offer to Beret when he comes home in Book 1, Chapter 5?
5. What is the date on which Per Hansa receives a deed to the property he has claimed?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)