|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Tonseten tell the new Norwegian settlers that they can find wood?
(a) Spring Creek.
(b) Filmore County.
(c) Sioux Falls.
(d) The Sioux River.
2. How do the settlers celebrate the safe return of the men from town?
(a) Exchange gifts.
(b) Have a big dinner.
(c) Drink liquor.
3. Where do the boys tell Per Hansa that the red welts on their bodies came from?
(a) Beret struck them.
(b) They were fighting.
(c) They fell off the roof.
(d) They got into poison ivy.
4. How old is Hans Olsa's daughter?
5. Who gets into a physical fight with one of the men from the large caravan?
(a) Per Hansa.
(b) Hans Olsa.
(c) Henry Solum.
(d) Sam Solum.
6. Where does the journey of the Hansa family begin?
7. Who is the only person in the settlement who seems upset about what Per Hansa did with the stakes?
(d) Hans Olsa.
8. What is it that the settlers are particularly afraid of?
(a) Losing their children.
(c) Indian encounters.
9. What animal does Tonseten say he manages to hunt and kill using his crowbar?
(a) A coyote.
(b) A duck.
(c) A deer.
(d) A bear.
10. Why do the members of the large caravan, who had decided to settle close to Spring Creek, come to Per Hansa's farm?
(a) To demand he leave the settlement.
(b) To borrow farming equipment.
(c) To buy potatoes.
(d) To sell some whiskey.
11. What does Per Hansa offer to Beret when he comes home in Book 1, Chapter 5?
12. Where is the Hansa family headed?
(b) Utah Territory.
(d) Dakota Territory.
13. What does the injured Indian give Per Hansa in exchange for helping him?
(a) A pony.
(b) A cowhide.
(c) A sack of flour.
(d) A tobacco pipe.
14. What is the name of Hans Olsa's daughter?
15. Who finds the ducks on the prairie?
(a) Beret and Kjersti.
(b) Store-Hans and Ola.
(c) And-Ongen and Store-Hans.
(d) Per Hansa and Hans Olsa.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first crop that Per Hansa wants to plant on his land?
2. Who does Per Hansa send down to the creek to look for the missing cows?
3. Who gives the new Norwegian settlers a tour of Spring Creek?
4. How many wagons does the large caravan that was the second to arrive at Spring Creek consist of?
5. What is the date on which Per Hansa receives a deed to the property he has claimed?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)