|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal does Tonseten actually manage to hunt and kill using his crowbar?
(a) A badger.
(b) A deer.
(c) A bear.
(d) A duck.
2. How much does the Tronder woman charge Per Hansa for borrowing her bull for a year?
(a) Five dollars.
(b) Fifty dollars.
(c) Twenty dollars.
(d) Ten dollars.
3. What is the name of Hans Olsa's wife?
4. How do the settlers celebrate the safe return of the men from town?
(a) Exchange gifts.
(b) Have a big dinner.
(c) Drink liquor.
5. Who gives the new Norwegian settlers a tour of Spring Creek?
6. What does Beret trip over as she leaves the house after a fight with Per Hansa, at the end of Book 1, Chapter 4?
(a) The cow.
(b) Her own shoe.
(c) A child's toy.
(d) A plow.
7. What is the name on the stake that Per Hansa finds in the ground at Hans Olsa's southwest corner?
(a) John Wright.
(b) H. Olsen.
(c) Joe Gill.
8. Where do the boys tell Per Hansa that the red welts on their bodies came from?
(a) Beret struck them.
(b) They were fighting.
(c) They got into poison ivy.
(d) They fell off the roof.
9. What illness does Tonseten suffer from?
10. ***Which of the following is NOT one of the items that Per Hansa barters for on his visit to town in Book 1, Chapter 5?
(a) A cow.
11. As the novel opens, what time of day is it?
(a) Early afternoon.
(b) Early morning.
(c) Late morning.
(d) Late afternoon.
12. What does Beret make for breakfast using the flour before Per goes to see the Hallings?
13. Of what nationality are the four men of the first small caravan to visit the settlement?
14. Who gets into a physical fight with one of the men from the large caravan?
(a) Henry Solum.
(b) Per Hansa.
(c) Sam Solum.
(d) Hans Olsa.
15. Who, in Book 1, Chapter 4, says, "We need a preacher, I hear...Well, now we've got one!"?
(a) Per Hansa.
(b) Henry Solum.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the settlers have to go to make their claim to the land official?
2. Of what nationality is the large caravan that was the second to arrive at Spring Creek?
3. Where does Per Hansa tell Hans Olsa he will go to look for the cows?
4. What kind of trees does Per Hansa bring back to plant around the house?
5. Which of the following is NOT something that Per brings back with him in addition to lost cows that had wandered off?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)