|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tonseten's first name?
2. Why does Per Hansa leave the camp in the middle of the night in Book 1, Chapter 1?
(a) To escape from the family.
(b) To get help for his sick child.
(c) To search for food.
(d) To try to figure out where they are.
3. Where does Beret Hansa remember the family landed when they crossed the ocean from Norway?
(d) New York.
4. Who says, "The guilty will receive their punishment in the end"?
(a) Sam Solum.
(d) Per Hansa.
5. What is it that the settlers are particularly afraid of?
(a) Losing their children.
(b) Indian encounters.
6. What is Tonseten's problem with Per Hansa's house as he is building it?
(a) He thinks the walls are crooked.
(b) He thinks it is too small.
(c) He thinks it is too big.
(d) He thinks it won't stand up to the wind.
7. How many children are in the Hansa family?
8. What animal does Tonseten actually manage to hunt and kill using his crowbar?
(a) A bear.
(b) A badger.
(c) A duck.
(d) A deer.
9. What illness does Tonseten suffer from?
10. What type of injury does the sick Indian have?
(a) A broken leg.
(b) A head wound.
(c) A hand wound.
(d) A torn muscle.
11. How many wagons does the large caravan that was the second to arrive at Spring Creek consist of?
12. Who is most upset that Rosie is missing?
(b) Hans Olsa.
(c) Per Hansa.
13. In Book 1, Chapter 1, what is the family doing?
(a) Fleeing from persecution.
(b) Going to visit their cousins.
(c) Moving to a new place.
(d) Going to town for supplies.
14. Why do the members of the large caravan, who had decided to settle close to Spring Creek, come to Per Hansa's farm?
(a) To demand he leave the settlement.
(b) To buy potatoes.
(c) To sell some whiskey.
(d) To borrow farming equipment.
15. What is the name of the Hansas' rifle?
(a) Old Faithful.
(b) Old Maria.
(d) Sweet Caroline.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Per Hansa find on his plot of land when he first goes to inspect it?
2. What chore does Per Hansa give to Ole while he is away at town?
3. Who helps Per Hansa clean the sick Indian's injury?
4. Who does Per Hansa take with him to meet the Indians?
5. Who gives the new Norwegian settlers a tour of Spring Creek?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)