|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Per Hansa take with him to meet the Indians?
(c) Sam Solum.
(d) Hans Olsa.
2. Who is the first to notice that the cows have gone missing after the men arrive home from town?
(a) Per Hansa.
(b) Sam Solum.
3. What does the name Store-Hans mean?
(a) Little hands.
(b) Little Hans.
(c) Big Hans.
(d) Helpful hands.
4. What does the place where the ducks live remind Per Hansa of?
(a) The ponds in Filmore County.
(b) The swamps of New York.
(c) The lakes of Norway.
(d) The bird cliffs in Finmarken.
5. Who, in Book 1, Chapter 4, says, "We need a preacher, I hear...Well, now we've got one!"?
(a) Henry Solum.
(d) Per Hansa.
6. What does Per Hansa do after he finds the stakes in the ground?
(a) He goes to inquire about them in town.
(b) He immediately tells Hans Olsa about them.
(c) He leaves them where he finds them.
(d) He removes them and hides them.
7. Who are the spokesmen between the men of the large caravan and the settlers of Spring Creek?
(a) Sam Solum and Per Hansa.
(b) Tonseten and Harry Solum.
(c) Hans Olsa and Tonseten.
(d) Hans Olsa and Harry Solum.
8. By what means is the Hansa family traveling?
(b) Covered wagon.
9. What is Tonseten's first name?
10. What is Tonseten's problem with Per Hansa's house as he is building it?
(a) He thinks it is too big.
(b) He thinks it is too small.
(c) He thinks the walls are crooked.
(d) He thinks it won't stand up to the wind.
11. Which of the following is NOT a type of seed that Beret brought to plant in addition to the main crop?
12. What does Per Hansa find on his plot of land when he first goes to inspect it?
(a) A garden.
(b) A gun.
(c) A fox.
(d) A grave.
13. How many wagons are in the first group of Norwegian settlers that come to Spring Creek?
14. What is the name of the Hansa's cow?
15. Where does Per Hansa tell Hans Olsa he will go to look for the cows?
(a) To the creek.
(b) To Sioux Falls.
(c) To the Sioux River.
(d) To the Indian settlement.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the settlers celebrate the safe return of the men from town?
2. What animal does Tonseten say he manages to hunt and kill using his crowbar?
3. What is Per Hansa's purpose for buying the twine and knitting a net?
4. What town does Per Hansa travel to in Book 1, Chapter 5 to get supplies?
5. How much does the Tronder woman charge Per Hansa for borrowing her bull for a year?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)