|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Per Hansa ask the Indians for?
2. How many men are in the first group of Norwegian settlers that come to Spring Creek?
3. What chore does Per Hansa give to Ole while he is away at town?
(a) Chop wood.
(b) Barter for lumber.
(c) Hunt ducks.
(d) Mow the lawn.
4. Who is Per Hansa?
(a) A shopkeeper who helps the family with supplies.
(b) The main male character of the book.
(c) The main female character of the book.
(d) The main family's oldest child.
5. Of what nationality are the four men of the first small caravan to visit the settlement?
6. What is the date on which Per Hansa receives a deed to the property he has claimed?
(a) June 21, 1892.
(b) June 6, 1873.
(c) July 4, 1776.
(d) January 26, 1903.
7. Why does Per Hans walk so far ahead of the caravan?
(a) He has a lot of energy to burn off.
(b) He is lost and doesn't want to tell his wife.
(c) He has to flatten the grass so the caravan can pass.
(d) He doesn't like his family.
8. What is it that the settlers are particularly afraid of?
(a) Indian encounters.
(c) Losing their children.
9. How many children are in the Hansa family?
10. Where does the journey of the Hansa family begin?
11. What does the injured Indian give Per Hansa in exchange for helping him?
(a) A pony.
(b) A tobacco pipe.
(c) A sack of flour.
(d) A cowhide.
12. How old is Hans Olsa's daughter?
13. What is Per Hansa's purpose for buying the twine and knitting a net?
(a) To keep the mosquitoes out.
(b) To catch rainwater.
(c) To hold their clothing.
(d) To catch ducks.
14. What does Beret trip over as she leaves the house after a fight with Per Hansa, at the end of Book 1, Chapter 4?
(a) A plow.
(b) A child's toy.
(c) Her own shoe.
(d) The cow.
15. What kind of food does the Hansa family have to eat every night?
Short Answer Questions
1. As the novel opens, what time of day is it?
2. How do the settlers celebrate the safe return of the men from town?
3. Who tells Beret about the argument between the settlers of Spring Creek and the men of the large caravan?
4. What does the name And-Ongen mean?
5. Which of the following is NOT a type of seed that Beret brought to plant in addition to the main crop?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)