|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the men have to take a trip to town in the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 3?
(a) To replenish the food supply.
(b) To gather wood.
(c) To get people to join the settlement.
(d) To buy more seeds.
2. What is the name of the Hansas' rifle?
(a) Old Faithful.
(c) Old Maria.
(d) Sweet Caroline.
3. What is Tonseten's first name?
4. What place does Per Hansa hope to find when he leaves the camp in the middle of the night?
(a) The city of Jackson.
(b) Split Rock Creek.
(c) An Indian village.
(d) The Dakota Territory.
5. What kind of food does the Hansa family have to eat every night?
6. Which of the following does NOT describe Tonseten?
(b) Rosy cheeks.
(c) Red beard.
7. What does the place where the ducks live remind Per Hansa of?
(a) The lakes of Norway.
(b) The ponds in Filmore County.
(c) The bird cliffs in Finmarken.
(d) The swamps of New York.
8. Why does Per Hansa leave the camp in the middle of the night in Book 1, Chapter 1?
(a) To escape from the family.
(b) To search for food.
(c) To try to figure out where they are.
(d) To get help for his sick child.
9. Where are the four men, the first small caravan to visit the settlement, from?
(c) West Virginia.
10. What does Per Hansa bring back to camp in Book 1, Chapter 1 to appease his wife?
(a) A barrel of water.
(b) A dried mutton leg.
(c) A new dress.
(d) A new cow.
11. Who tells Beret about the argument between the settlers of Spring Creek and the men of the large caravan?
(c) Hans Olsa.
(d) Per Hansa.
12. Where does Tonseten tell the new Norwegian settlers that they can find wood?
(a) The Sioux River.
(b) Spring Creek.
(c) Filmore County.
(d) Sioux Falls.
13. What animal does Tonseten say he manages to hunt and kill using his crowbar?
(a) A deer.
(b) A bear.
(c) A coyote.
(d) A duck.
14. What is Per Hansa's purpose for buying the twine and knitting a net?
(a) To hold their clothing.
(b) To catch ducks.
(c) To catch rainwater.
(d) To keep the mosquitoes out.
15. Where is the Hansa family headed?
(a) Dakota Territory.
(d) Utah Territory.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a type of seed that Beret brought to plant in addition to the main crop?
2. How many children are in the Hansa family?
3. Who is Per Hansa?
4. What does Per Hansa find on his plot of land when he first goes to inspect it?
5. Who is the first to notice that the cows have gone missing after the men arrive home from town?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)