|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Hans Olsa doing at the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 2?
(a) Talking to a friend.
(b) Building a sod house.
(c) Plowing his fields.
2. What does Beret attack her boys with?
(a) A belt.
(b) Her hand.
(c) A switch.
(d) A spoon.
3. Who is the only person in the settlement who seems upset about what Per Hansa did with the stakes?
(b) Hans Olsa.
4. What is the name on the stake that Per Hansa finds in the ground at Hans Olsa's southwest corner?
(a) John Wright.
(c) Joe Gill.
(d) H. Olsen.
5. How many children are in the Hansa family?
6. Who is the first to notice that the cows have gone missing after the men arrive home from town?
(b) Per Hansa.
(c) Sam Solum.
7. Where does Per Hansa plan on getting wood for the roof of his house?
(a) Spring Creek.
(b) The Sioux River.
(d) The Black Hills Forest.
8. Who tells Beret about the argument between the settlers of Spring Creek and the men of the large caravan?
(a) Per Hansa.
(c) Hans Olsa.
9. Which of the following is NOT one of the men who will travel to town in Book 1, Chapter 3?
(a) Sam Solum.
(b) Syvert Tonseten.
(c) Harry Solum.
(d) Hans Olsa.
10. Why do the members of the large caravan, who had decided to settle close to Spring Creek, come to Per Hansa's farm?
(a) To buy potatoes.
(b) To borrow farming equipment.
(c) To demand he leave the settlement.
(d) To sell some whiskey.
11. Where do the settlers have to go to make their claim to the land official?
(a) Des Moines.
(b) Silver City.
(c) Sioux Falls.
(d) Hillside Colony.
12. What animal does Tonseten say he manages to hunt and kill using his crowbar?
(a) A coyote.
(b) A duck.
(c) A bear.
(d) A deer.
13. What is the name of Tonseten's wife?
14. What does the name Store-Hans mean?
(a) Little hands.
(b) Big Hans.
(c) Helpful hands.
(d) Little Hans.
15. What does Per Hansa offer to Beret when he comes home in Book 1, Chapter 5?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Per Hansa take with him to meet the Indians?
2. Where do the boys tell Per Hansa that the red welts on their bodies came from?
3. What is the name of Hans Olsa's wife?
4. What is the name on the stake that Per Hansa finds in the ground at Tonseten's southwest corner?
5. Who are the spokesmen between the men of the large caravan and the settlers of Spring Creek?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)