|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the lady of the house put Hummel?
2. Who enters the drawing room after the lady of the house leaves?
3. What does the lady of the house say they have all made?
4. What does the lady of the house say has made them better people?
5. Who does Hummel want to bring into his daughter's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the play's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the play differ? Was the play more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the play's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1900s? How does the author express these concerns?
2) How would the author change the novel if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
How does the play resemble a sonata? What meaning does the sonata structure give the play?
This section contains 190 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)