|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the lady of the house?
2. Why did Hummel kill the milkmaid?
3. What is the name of the Old Man's ex-fiancee?
4. Who is the only person who can see the milkmaid?
5. What is Johansson dressed up as?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the play resemble a sonata? What meaning does the sonata structure give the play?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Strindberg's writing style. How would you describe the author's style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the play and helps to express character and theme:
This section contains 163 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)