|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character makes the old man shrivel in fear?
2. Who appears behind the colonel's daughter?
3. What color clothes is the young woman in the doorway wearing?
4. What does the colonel show his daughter?
5. What is the name of the old man's servant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the cook do to the family's beverages?
2. Why does Johansson think it is too late to the help the student?
3. How does Bengtsson describe Amelia?
4. How does Jacob plan to cure his daughter?
5. Why does the student call Death the Liberator?
6. Who arrives at the dinner party?
7. What does Jacob say is his plan?
8. Who is the Mummy?
9. Who is the white-haired woman?
10. How is the cook a thorn in the family's side?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Jacob accuse others of crimes when he has committed far worse crimes himself? How does Strindberg suggest that Jacob wants nothing but forgiveness?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the play's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1900s? How does the author express these concerns?
2) How would the author change the novel if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and examine it what expresses about 1900's European society:
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)