|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who appears behind the colonel's daughter?
2. Which of the following does the old man say he can do?
3. Why does the superintendents wife want to spread the spruce greens?
4. Which character makes the old man shrivel in fear?
5. Who is Hummel going to the play with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the student think of the mortal world?
2. How does act three show the problems that can arise from guilt and lies?
3. How does Jacob know the student?
4. What changes the student's mind about walking away?
5. How does Bengtsson describe Amelia?
6. What does Jacob ask the residents of the nearby home to do?
7. Where is the student at the beginning the scene?
8. Why is the Student amazed at the imperfections of the house?
9. Who is the white-haired woman?
10. Why does Johansson think it is too late to the help the student?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss August Strindberg's life. In what way is his life and personality is reflected in the play? In what ways is he like or unlike his characters?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and examine it what expresses about 1900's European society:
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)