|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the woman in black's mother?
2. What day was the boy born?
3. What does Johansson say the old man destroys?
4. What does the girl carry in her basket?
5. Where does the superintendent's wife want to spread the spruce greens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jacob tell the Student about the Deadman?
2. What does Jacob ask the student to do for him?
3. What changes the student's mind about walking away?
4. Describe the Hyacinth Room.
5. Why is the Hyacinth Room also called the room of ordeals?
6. How does Amelia take control of the situation?
7. How does Jacob know the student?
8. Why is it too late to save Adele?
9. Why does Amelia say she stays in the closet?
10. What does Johannsson tell the Student about his master?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Jacob accuse others of crimes when he has committed far worse crimes himself? How does Strindberg suggest that Jacob wants nothing but forgiveness?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the play's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1900s? How does the author express these concerns?
2) How would the author change the novel if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
What do the residents feel and how do they act to express their feelings about the house in the opening act? Why does the student holds the house in such awe?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)