Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Hummel going to the play with?
2. What does the old man say he cannot do?
3. Who appears behind the colonel's daughter?
4. What does the boy first feel when he sees the colonel's daughter?
5. Why does the old man ask the student who he was talking to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Johansson think it is too late to the help the student?
2. What disaster happened in Stockholm the evening before?
3. How does Amelia take control of the situation?
4. Who arrives at the dinner party?
5. Why does Amelia say she stays in the closet?
6. What does Jacob tell the Colonel about the Colonel's family name?
7. How does Jacob say he can help the student?
8. Why does Jacob say he is at the dinner?
9. Why is the Hyacinth Room also called the room of ordeals?
10. How does the play end?
Examine the play's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the play differ? Was the play more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Why does Jacob accuse others of crimes when he has committed far worse crimes himself? How does Strindberg suggest that Jacob wants nothing but forgiveness?
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)