|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old man sit on?
2. What does the girl carry in her basket?
3. Why does the old man ask the student who he was talking to?
4. What is visible through the open windows?
5. What does Hummel ask the boy to do for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jacob kill the Milkmaid?
2. What does Jacob tell the Colonel about the Colonel's family name?
3. What disaster happened in Stockholm the evening before?
4. What does Jacob ask the student to do for him?
5. Why does Jacob say he is at the dinner?
6. Why is it too late to save Adele?
7. Why does Johansson think it is too late to the help the student?
8. What does Jacob say is his plan?
9. How does the play end?
10. Where is the student at the beginning the scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the play's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
Examine the play's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the play differ? Was the play more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the play.
1) How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the play's themes?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)