Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Hummel going to the play with?
2. What does the old man say he cannot do?
3. Who appears behind the colonel's daughter?
4. What does the boy first feel when he sees the colonel's daughter?
5. Why does the old man ask the student who he was talking to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Johansson think it is too late to the help the student?
2. What disaster happened in Stockholm the evening before?
3. How does Amelia take control of the situation?
4. Who arrives at the dinner party?
5. Why does Amelia say she stays in the closet?
6. What does Jacob tell the Colonel about the Colonel's family name?
7. How does Jacob say he can help the student?
8. Why does Jacob say he is at the dinner?
9. Why is the Hyacinth Room also called the room of ordeals?
10. How does the play end?
Compare the student's character to the person he is at the beginning of the play to the person he is at the end of the play.
1) What does the Student hope to achieve at the start of the play?
2) What events changes the Student's ideas about life?
3) What does the author suggest will be Student's future?
Examine Strindberg's writing style. How would you describe the author's style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Compare European and American cultures.
1) What are the differences between the two cultures?
2) In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
3) How would the author represent European culture if the play was released today?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)