|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character makes the old man shrivel in fear?
2. What does the student say happened to a house?
3. How does Hummel know the woman in the window?
4. What does Hummel want to watch that evening?
5. What is the old man reading?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jacob tell the Colonel about the Colonel's family name?
2. Who is the white-haired woman?
3. What does Jacob say is special about a Sunday child?
4. What does Jacob tell the Student about the Deadman?
5. Where is the student at the beginning the scene?
6. How does Bengtsson react when the girl begins to die?
7. Summarize the play.
8. How does Jacob plan to cure his daughter?
9. How does Jacob immediately assert authority when he arrives on the scene?
10. Why does the student call Death the Liberator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
How does the play resemble a sonata? What meaning does the sonata structure give the play?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Amelia hide away from life? Has Amelia done anything to help herself? What does it say about the play and the characters that there is no suggestion that anyone has tried to help Amelia?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)