Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Hummel going to the play with?
2. What does the old man say he cannot do?
3. Who appears behind the colonel's daughter?
4. What does the boy first feel when he sees the colonel's daughter?
5. Why does the old man ask the student who he was talking to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Johansson think it is too late to the help the student?
2. What disaster happened in Stockholm the evening before?
3. How does Amelia take control of the situation?
4. Who arrives at the dinner party?
5. Why does Amelia say she stays in the closet?
6. What does Jacob tell the Colonel about the Colonel's family name?
7. How does Jacob say he can help the student?
8. Why does Jacob say he is at the dinner?
9. Why is the Hyacinth Room also called the room of ordeals?
10. How does the play end?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the play and helps to express character and theme:
Essay Topic 2
Examine the play's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1900s? How does the author express these concerns?
2) How would the author change the novel if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)