|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old man say he cannot do?
2. What does Hummel complain about?
3. What does the old man sit on?
4. Who pushes the old man back into the scene?
5. What does Johansson say the student now is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Adele do for the maid?
2. Why is it too late to save Adele?
3. Why can the family not get rid of the cook?
4. How does the Milkmaid help the student?
5. What do the group do as Jacob hangs himself?
6. What disaster happened in Stockholm the evening before?
7. Why does Amelia say she stays in the closet?
8. Who arrives at the dinner party?
9. Why does Adele think the servants are sapping the family's strength?
10. How does the play end?
Essay Topic 1
Compare the student's character to the person he is at the beginning of the play to the person he is at the end of the play.
1) What does the Student hope to achieve at the start of the play?
2) What events changes the Student's ideas about life?
3) What does the author suggest will be Student's future?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Jacob accuse others of crimes when he has committed far worse crimes himself? How does Strindberg suggest that Jacob wants nothing but forgiveness?
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)