|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the girl carry in her basket?
2. Where does the milkmaid stop for a drink?
3. Why does the superintendents wife want to spread the spruce greens?
4. Where does the colonel have the statue?
5. Which character makes the old man shrivel in fear?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jacob immediately assert authority when he arrives on the scene?
2. Why does Jacob think he is not the cause of the student's father's bankruptcy?
3. How does the Milkmaid help the student?
4. How does the play resemble a sonata?
5. How does Jacob know Amelia?
6. What disaster happened in Stockholm the evening before?
7. What does Jacob ask the residents of the nearby home to do?
8. What does Adele do for the maid?
9. How is the cook a thorn in the family's side?
10. What does Jacob ask the student to do for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does the meaning of a Sunday Child have the same meaning in popular culture as it does in the book? What do the students think Jacob trying to achieve by calling the Student a Sunday child? What would the Student's character would be if he were a Monday child?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Strindberg's writing style. How would you describe the author's style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)