|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the old man reading?
2. How does Hummel know the woman in the window?
3. Who approaches the student at the fountain?
4. What does the boy accuse the old man of doing?
5. Where does the superintendent's wife want to spread the spruce greens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the group do as Jacob hangs himself?
2. Why is the student struck by the girl of the house?
3. How does Jacob say he is able to gain control of the Colonel's belongings and his house?
4. Who is the Mummy?
5. How does Jacob plan to cure his daughter?
6. What dreams does the student have about the house?
7. Summarize the play.
8. Why does the student call Death the Liberator?
9. Why is the family maid no good?
10. How does Jacob immediately assert authority when he arrives on the scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the play's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
Why does Amelia hide away from life? Has Amelia done anything to help herself? What does it say about the play and the characters that there is no suggestion that anyone has tried to help Amelia?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Strindberg's writing style. How would you describe the author's style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)