|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the colonel's daughter look like?
2. Who does Johannson return to speak to?
3. What does the colonel's daughter drop out of her window?
4. What does the old man say he cannot do?
5. Which of the following does the old man say he can do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dreams does the student have about the house?
2. What changes the student's mind about walking away?
3. Who is the white-haired woman?
4. What does Jacob ask the residents of the nearby home to do?
5. How does the Milkmaid help the student?
6. How does Jacob immediately assert authority when he arrives on the scene?
7. What does Jacob ask the student to do for him?
8. Why is it too late to save Adele?
9. What does the cook do to the family's beverages?
10. Where is the student at the beginning the scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the play resemble a sonata? What meaning does the sonata structure give the play?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Amelia hide away from life? Has Amelia done anything to help herself? What does it say about the play and the characters that there is no suggestion that anyone has tried to help Amelia?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the play's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the play differ? Was the play more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 1,239 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)