|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the superintendents wife want to spread the spruce greens?
2. Who approaches the house?
3. What does the old man sit on?
4. Who does Johannson return to speak to?
5. What is the old man reading?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jacob say he is able to gain control of the Colonel's belongings and his house?
2. Why does Johansson think it is too late to the help the student?
3. How does the Milkmaid help the student?
4. What does the cook do to the family's beverages?
5. How does Bengtsson describe Amelia?
6. How does the play resemble a sonata?
7. How does Jacob react to the unveiling of his crimes?
8. Why doesn't the student's father like Jacob?
9. What does Jacob ask the residents of the nearby home to do?
10. How does Jacob plan to cure his daughter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the play.
1) How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the play's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and examine it what expresses about 1900's European society:
Essay Topic 3
How does the play resemble a sonata? What meaning does the sonata structure give the play?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)