|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the woman in black's father?
2. What does the colonel's daughter appear at the window to do?
3. Who is the woman in black's mother?
4. Who appears behind the colonel's daughter?
5. Who pushes the old man back into the scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jacob tell the Student about the Deadman?
2. What does the cook do to the family's beverages?
3. Why can the family not get rid of the cook?
4. What does Jacob say is special about a Sunday child?
5. Describe the Hyacinth Room.
6. What does Jacob ask the residents of the nearby home to do?
7. How does the play end?
8. Why does Johansson think it is too late to the help the student?
9. How did Jacob kill the Milkmaid?
10. How does Amelia take control of the situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the play.
1) How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the play's themes?
Essay Topic 3
What do the residents feel and how do they act to express their feelings about the house in the opening act? Why does the student holds the house in such awe?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)