|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the milkmaid stop for a drink?
2. Who is the woman in black's father?
3. Who does the student think the old man is afraid of?
4. Who comes out of the house?
5. Who approaches the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jacob tell the Student about the Deadman?
2. Why can the family not get rid of the cook?
3. What dreams does the student have about the house?
4. Why is the student struck by the girl of the house?
5. What does Adele do for the maid?
6. What do the group do as Jacob hangs himself?
7. Why does Adele think the servants are sapping the family's strength?
8. What changes the student's mind about walking away?
9. Summarize the play.
10. How does act three show the problems that can arise from guilt and lies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one character from the list and examine how their sins have affected his/her life:
3. The Colonel
Essay Topic 2
Examine the play's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the play differ? Was the play more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the play's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1900s? How does the author express these concerns?
2) How would the author change the novel if it were set in today's society?
This section contains 1,244 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)