• A poor student called Arkneholz has witnessed the burning down of a house. He has spent all night tending to the wounded.
• The student gets a drink from a water fountain. He meets a milkmaid and they talk about the student's experiences the previous night. The milkmaid helps the student wash out his smoke-filled eyes.
• A man called Jacob Hummel approaches the student and asks him who he is talking to. It seems the milkmaid is nothing but an apparition.
• The student admits that Jacob knows his father, but says his father does not remember Jacob fondly. Apparently he thinks he is the cause of his bankruptcy.
• The student agrees to help Jacob with a few things. In exchange Jacob says he will help the student take advantage of his status as a hero.
• The Old Man tells the students he wants him to buy tickets for...
This section contains 1,438 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)