|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Alving say made her begin to think?
2. Where does Mrs. Alving tell Regina to go?
3. What country was the man from who Joanna had an affair with?
4. What was Joanna given to hold her tongue?
5. What does Engstrand ask Manders to grant him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Henrik Ibsen's life. In what way is his life and personality reflected in the play? In what ways is he like or unlike his characters?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the play.
1) How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the play's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the play and helps to express character and theme.
This section contains 198 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)