|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Joanna given to hold her tongue?
2. What does Manders say Mrs. Alving's thoughts are the outcome of?
3. What kind of woman does Manders say Joanna is?
4. Why has Oswald decided to stay in?
5. What country was the man from who Joanna had an affair with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the play's reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the play differ? Was the play more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Manders and Mrs. Alving.
1) In what ways are they similar people?
2) Why did they never develop a relationship? How would their lives been different if they did marry?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Henrik Ibsen's life. In what way is his life and personality reflected in the play? In what ways is he like or unlike his characters?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)