|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Alving say she would say to her son if she was not such a coward?
2. What does Engstrand want to finish his work at the orphanage with?
3. What has Mrs. Alving built up in her son's mind?
4. Who does Oswald say he learned the truth from?
5. What is Mrs. Alving frightened that she is in the presence of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Ibsen's views on religion? How does he express his views in the play? What part did religion play in 1880s European society?
Essay Topic 2
Examine sex in the play.
1) How do the characters in the play view sex?
2) What does the representation of sex say about 1880s society?
3) How did the public react to the novel's representation when it was first published? How would the public react to a similar book today?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Henrik Ibsen's life. In what way is his life and personality reflected in the play? In what ways is he like or unlike his characters?
This section contains 216 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)