|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Alving say Engstrand is careless with?
2. What city did Oswald travel from?
3. How does Engstrand say he is related to Regina?
4. What is Mrs. Alving taking to the young master?
5. Who does Engstrand want to take home with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is wrong with Oswald?
2. How did Manders cause the fire?
3. Why does Engstrand think the burning down of the orphanage is such bad luck?
4. Why does Regina refuse to go home with her father?
5. Why does Oswald think that Engstrand's building will burn down?
6. Why does Mrs. Alving blame Manders for her unhappiness?
7. What does Mrs. Alving want her son Oswald to inherit?
8. Why did Manders send Mrs. Alving back when she ran to him?
9. How was Mrs. Alving's husband a sham?
10. What does Oswald blame his illness on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the play and helps to express character and theme.
Essay Topic 2
Compare European and American culture.
1) What are the differences between the two cultures?
2) In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
3) How would the author represent European culture and Norwegians if the play was released today?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)