|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Engstrand want to take home with him?
2. When does Mrs. Alving say Engstrand is a good worker?
3. What tragic accident almost happened at the orphanage?
4. Which character works as a carpenter?
5. What caught fire in the carpenter's shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mrs. Alving building a memorial?
2. Why Regina say she cannot stay in the house?
3. Why does Engstrand say he cannot conduct the prayers himself?
4. Describe the setting of Ghosts.
5. Why did Mrs. Alving send Oswald to school at such an early age?
6. What does Mrs. Alving say she means by ghosts?
7. What do Manders and Mrs. Alving hear from the dining room?
8. Why does Mrs. Alving want the orphanage insured?
9. How does Regina react to hearing that Mr. Alving was her father?
10. What is wrong with Oswald?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine sex in the play.
1) How do the characters in the play view sex?
2) What does the representation of sex say about 1880s society?
3) How did the public react to the novel's representation when it was first published? How would the public react to a similar book today?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the play's reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the play differ? Was the play more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 1,253 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)