|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city did Oswald travel from?
2. What opens the next day?
3. What is Oswald smoking?
4. What does Regina fan herself with?
5. Who do they hear come downstairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Mrs. Alving and Manders' relationship while Mr. Alving was alive?
2. Why does Mrs. Alving think Regina is going to go into ruin?
3. Where had Oswald been living before he came home?
4. Why does Regina refuse to go home with her father?
5. Why does Manders think it is a bad idea to insure the orphanage?
6. What does Oswald blame his illness on?
7. Why does Engstrand think the burning down of the orphanage is such bad luck?
8. What does Oswald tell Manders about his work as a painter?
9. Why is Mrs. Alving building a memorial?
10. How does Engstrand get money from Manders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Regina's character to the person she is at the beginning of the play to the person she is at the end of the play.
1) What does Regina hope to achieve at the start of the play?
2) What events changes Regina's ideas about life?
3) What does the author suggest will be Regina's future?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the play's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1880s? How does the author express these concerns?
2) How would the author change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of Manders and Mrs. Alving.
1) In what ways are they similar people?
2) Why did they never develop a relationship? How would their lives been different if they did marry?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)