|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tragic accident almost happened at the orphanage?
2. What does Manders say Regina's father does not have?
3. What does Manders say he disapproves of?
4. What does Manders take out of the envelope?
5. What is on top of the round table?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Oswald ask his mother to do for him?
2. Why does Mrs. Alving blame Manders for her unhappiness?
3. How does Engstrand say Manders can repay him?
4. What disaster happens at the end of the act?
5. Why does Oswald say he is not shocked about the revelation about his father?
6. How was Mrs. Alving's husband a sham?
7. What does Oswald blame his illness on?
8. Why does Regina refuse to go home with her father?
9. What does Engstrand want to build?
10. What is the story of Regina's illegitimate birth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the play and helps to express character and theme.
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the play.
1) How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the play's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Henrik Ibsen's life. In what way is his life and personality reflected in the play? In what ways is he like or unlike his characters?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)