|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Manders say he disapproves of?
2. Who needs Regina to stay around?
3. What does Manders say Regina's father needs?
4. Who is trying to prevent Engsrand from entering the house?
5. Where does Regina say she would like to live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Alving say she means by ghosts?
2. How does Regina say she has been brought up?
3. Why does Mrs. Alving think Engstrand married Joanna?
4. Why does Oswald think that Engstrand's building will burn down?
5. How does Regina react to hearing that Mr. Alving was her father?
6. What do Manders and Mrs. Alving hear from the dining room?
7. How does Engstrand say Manders can repay him?
8. Why does Mrs. Alving want the orphanage insured?
9. Why does Mrs. Alving think Regina is going to go into ruin?
10. Why does Mrs. Alving not think it is a disgrace that Engstrand married for money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine sex in the play.
1) How do the characters in the play view sex?
2) What does the representation of sex say about 1880s society?
3) How did the public react to the novel's representation when it was first published? How would the public react to a similar book today?
Essay Topic 2
What does Mrs. Alving mean by ghosts? Why are the ghosts such an integral part of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)