|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Regina say she would like to live?
2. Why does Regina not want Engstrand to clump about?
3. What is Oswald smoking?
4. What caught fire in the carpenter's shop?
5. Which of the following cities has Oswald lived in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Engstrand say Manders can repay him?
2. Why is Engstrand surprised that Manders knows the truth about Joanna?
3. Why did Mrs. Alving never tell Oswald about the person his father really was?
4. How has Mrs. Alving helped Regina?
5. Why did Manders send Mrs. Alving back when she ran to him?
6. How does Engstrand get money from Manders?
7. Why does Manders think it is a bad idea to insure the orphanage?
8. Why does Oswald think his illness is so appalling?
9. Why does Engstrand think the burning down of the orphanage is such bad luck?
10. Why does Regina refuse to go home with her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and examine it what expresses about 1880s society.
1) Sexual desire
Essay Topic 2
Examine the play's reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the play differ? Was the play more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
Examine sex in the play.
1) How do the characters in the play view sex?
2) What does the representation of sex say about 1880s society?
3) How did the public react to the novel's representation when it was first published? How would the public react to a similar book today?
This section contains 1,274 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)