|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Mrs. Alving say Engstrand is a good worker?
2. What does Mrs. Alving say Manders always is?
3. What does Engstrand call the children Regina has to look after?
4. What caught fire in the carpenter's shop?
5. What city did Oswald travel from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Regina react to hearing that Mr. Alving was her father?
2. How does Engstrand justify lying to Manders?
3. What disaster happens at the end of the act?
4. How does Regina say she has been brought up?
5. Why does Oswald think his illness is so appalling?
6. What does Oswald tell Manders about his work as a painter?
7. Describe the room the play takes place in?
8. How was Mrs. Alving's husband a sham?
9. What does Mrs. Alving want her son Oswald to inherit?
10. Where had Oswald been living before he came home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Henrik Ibsen's life. In what way is his life and personality reflected in the play? In what ways is he like or unlike his characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Oswald's illness affects one of the following areas in his life:
2) Social life
3) Intimate relationships
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)