|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What opens the next day?
2. Which of the following cities has Oswald lived in?
3. Who is trying to prevent Engsrand from entering the house?
4. Where is Manders going to sleep?
5. What does Mrs. Alving say her and Manders are?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Alving blame Manders for her unhappiness?
2. Why does Oswald think his illness is so appalling?
3. Why does Mrs. Alving think that Oswald's father's life was wasted?
4. Why did Manders send Mrs. Alving back when she ran to him?
5. What does Engstrand ask the Pastor to do?
6. What disaster happens at the end of the act?
7. Why did Mrs. Alving never tell Oswald about the person his father really was?
8. What does Mrs. Alving say is the cause of trouble in the world?
9. Why does Mrs. Alving think Regina is going to go into ruin?
10. What does Engstrand want to build?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the play and helps to express character and theme.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Henrik Ibsen's life. In what way is his life and personality reflected in the play? In what ways is he like or unlike his characters?
Essay Topic 3
Compare European and American culture.
1) What are the differences between the two cultures?
2) In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
3) How would the author represent European culture and Norwegians if the play was released today?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)