|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who would the eating house cater for?
2. What city did Oswald travel from?
3. Where does Regina say she would like to live?
4. Where does Engstrand say he can get a house?
5. What will Regina have plenty of if she goes to live with Engstrand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Alving say Oswald's father was like in the old days?
2. What does Oswald blame his illness on?
3. Who is Engstrand?
4. Why does Oswald think that Engstrand's building will burn down?
5. What does Engstrand ask the Pastor to do?
6. Describe the setting of Ghosts.
7. How does Regina react to hearing that Mr. Alving was her father?
8. Why did Mrs. Alving never tell Oswald about the person his father really was?
9. Why is Engstrand surprised that Manders knows the truth about Joanna?
10. Why did Mrs. Alving send Oswald to school at such an early age?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Regina's character to the person she is at the beginning of the play to the person she is at the end of the play.
1) What does Regina hope to achieve at the start of the play?
2) What events changes Regina's ideas about life?
3) What does the author suggest will be Regina's future?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine sex in the play.
1) How do the characters in the play view sex?
2) What does the representation of sex say about 1880s society?
3) How did the public react to the novel's representation when it was first published? How would the public react to a similar book today?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)