|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maders think is rampant in artistic circles?
2. What does Manders say Engstrand comes to him like?
3. What does Regina say Engstrand worried her mother into?
4. What is Engstrand's first name?
5. Where is the Orphanage attracting a great deal of attention?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Oswald think that Engstrand's building will burn down?
2. Why did Mrs. Alving never tell Oswald about the person his father really was?
3. How does Engstrand say Manders can repay him?
4. What do Manders and Mrs. Alving hear from the dining room?
5. How does Mrs. Alving react to the fire?
6. Why did Mrs. Alving send Oswald to school at such an early age?
7. Describe the setting of Ghosts.
8. Why did Manders send Mrs. Alving back when she ran to him?
9. How does Engstrand justify lying to Manders?
10. How is Pastor Manders helping with the building of the orphanage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the play.
1) How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the play's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the play and helps to express character and theme.
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)