Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will Regina have plenty of if she goes to live with Engstrand?
2. What does Manders carry in his hand?
3. What kind of woman does Mrs. Alving say she is not?
4. Where did Manders hear that Oswald was back?
5. What does Manders take out of the envelope?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Engstrand want to be seen as an angel of salvation?
2. What disaster happens at the end of the act?
3. Why does Mrs. Alving want the orphanage insured?
4. Why does Manders think it is a bad idea to insure the orphanage?
5. Why is Mrs. Alving building a memorial?
6. What does Oswald think his mother's opinion that a child should love his father is nothing but a superstition?
7. What does Pastor Manders have against the books Mrs. Alving reads?
8. What does Manders think has made Mrs. Alving unhappy?
9. How does Regina say she has been brought up?
10. Why did Manders send Mrs. Alving back when she ran to him?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and examine it what expresses about 1880s society.
1) Sexual desire
Essay Topic 2
Examine sex in the play.
1) How do the characters in the play view sex?
2) What does the representation of sex say about 1880s society?
3) How did the public react to the novel's representation when it was first published? How would the public react to a similar book today?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Oswald's illness affects one of the following areas in his life:
2) Social life
3) Intimate relationships
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)