|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Manders say Regina's father needs?
2. What part of Norway does the play take place?
3. What does Regina say Engstrand worried her mother into?
4. Where is Manders going to sleep?
5. What tragic accident almost happened at the orphanage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Oswald blame his illness on?
2. Why does Oswald say he is not shocked about the revelation about his father?
3. How does Regina say she has been brought up?
4. Why does Mrs. Alving blame Manders for her unhappiness?
5. What do Manders and Mrs. Alving hear from the dining room?
6. What does Engstrand ask the Pastor to do?
7. What is the story of Regina's illegitimate birth?
8. Why did Mrs. Alving never tell Oswald about the person his father really was?
9. What does Mrs. Alving say she means by ghosts?
10. Why is Manders so angry with Engstrand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the play's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1880s? How does the author express these concerns?
2) How would the author change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Regina's character to the person she is at the beginning of the play to the person she is at the end of the play.
1) What does Regina hope to achieve at the start of the play?
2) What events changes Regina's ideas about life?
3) What does the author suggest will be Regina's future?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)