|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Regina say she has been brought up to be?
2. Where did Manders hear that Oswald was back?
3. What does Manders say Engstrand comes to him like?
4. What city did Oswald travel from?
5. What part of Norway does the play take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why Regina say she cannot stay in the house?
2. Why does Mrs. Alving think she was a coward to marry her husband?
3. How was Mrs. Alving's husband a sham?
4. What does Mrs. Alving say Oswald's father was like in the old days?
5. What kind of establishment does Engstrand want to open?
6. Summarize the play.
7. Why does Oswald think his illness is so appalling?
8. Why is Engstrand surprised that Manders knows the truth about Joanna?
9. What is wrong with Oswald?
10. Why did Manders send Mrs. Alving back when she ran to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare European and American culture.
1) What are the differences between the two cultures?
2) In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
3) How would the author represent European culture and Norwegians if the play was released today?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Manders and Mrs. Alving.
1) In what ways are they similar people?
2) Why did they never develop a relationship? How would their lives been different if they did marry?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Oswald's illness affects one of the following areas in his life:
2) Social life
3) Intimate relationships
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)