|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Regina not want Engstrand to clump about?
2. What is Oswald's job?
3. Who do they hear come downstairs?
4. What does Manders carry in his hand?
5. How can Engstrand prove he is Regina's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Alving say she means by ghosts?
2. Why does Oswald think his illness is so appalling?
3. How does Mrs. Alving react to the fire?
4. Where had Oswald been living before he came home?
5. Why did Mrs. Alving send Oswald to school at such an early age?
6. Why is Mrs. Alving building a memorial?
7. What does Oswald think his mother's opinion that a child should love his father is nothing but a superstition?
8. Why does Mrs. Alving not think it is a disgrace that Engstrand married for money?
9. Why Regina say she cannot stay in the house?
10. Why does Mrs. Alving think she was a coward to marry her husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Oswald's illness affects one of the following areas in his life:
2) Social life
3) Intimate relationships
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Ghosts greatly influenced modern literature and theater. Choose a book or play that you think was influenced by Ghosts and discuss their similarities in terms of the following:
This section contains 1,300 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)