|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will Regina have plenty of if she goes to live with Engstrand?
2. Who would the eating house cater for?
3. What does Manders carry in his hand?
4. Where does Engstrand say he can get a house?
5. What does Engstrand say will stand Regina in good stead?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Engstrand see Manders do with the candle?
2. Why does Engstrand say he cannot conduct the prayers himself?
3. Why does Mrs. Alving blame Manders for her unhappiness?
4. Why is Manders so angry with Engstrand?
5. What does Mrs. Alving say Oswald's father was like in the old days?
6. How has Mrs. Alving helped Regina?
7. Why does Engstrand want to be seen as an angel of salvation?
8. What does Oswald think his mother's opinion that a child should love his father is nothing but a superstition?
9. How does Regina react to hearing that Mr. Alving was her father?
10. Who is Engstrand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ghosts greatly influenced modern literature and theater. Choose a book or play that you think was influenced by Ghosts and discuss their similarities in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 2
Examine the play's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1880s? How does the author express these concerns?
2) How would the author change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)