|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Regina not like living away from the town?
2. What is Oswald smoking?
3. Who does Engstrand want to take home with him?
4. What kind of woman does Mrs. Alving say she is not?
5. What does Manders take out of the envelope?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Manders think has made Mrs. Alving unhappy?
2. What does Oswald blame his illness on?
3. Why does Mrs. Alving think Regina is going to go into ruin?
4. Why does Mrs. Alving think she was a coward to marry her husband?
5. Describe the setting of Ghosts.
6. Describe the room the play takes place in?
7. Why does Regina refuse to go home with her father?
8. What does Mrs. Alving want her son Oswald to inherit?
9. Why Regina say she cannot stay in the house?
10. What do Manders and Mrs. Alving hear from the dining room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine sex in the play.
1) How do the characters in the play view sex?
2) What does the representation of sex say about 1880s society?
3) How did the public react to the novel's representation when it was first published? How would the public react to a similar book today?
Essay Topic 2
What are Ibsen's views on religion? How does he express his views in the play? What part did religion play in 1880s European society?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the play.
1) How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the play's themes?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)