|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Engstrand say will stand Regina in good stead?
2. Who do they hear come downstairs?
3. Who is the rain splendid for?
4. How does Engstrand say he is related to Regina?
5. What is Engstrand making an effort to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Manders send Mrs. Alving back when she ran to him?
2. Why does Engstrand want to be seen as an angel of salvation?
3. What kind of establishment does Engstrand want to open?
4. What is wrong with Oswald?
5. How does Engstrand get money from Manders?
6. Why does Mrs. Alving think Regina is going to go into ruin?
7. What disaster happens at the end of the act?
8. Describe the room the play takes place in?
9. Who is Engstrand?
10. Why is Manders so angry with Engstrand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and examine it what expresses about 1880s society.
1) Sexual desire
Essay Topic 2
Compare European and American culture.
1) What are the differences between the two cultures?
2) In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
3) How would the author represent European culture and Norwegians if the play was released today?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the play's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1880s? How does the author express these concerns?
2) How would the author change the novel if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)