|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the rain splendid for?
2. What does Manders say Engstrand comes to him like?
3. What is on top of the round table?
4. What is the young master's surname?
5. What caught fire in the carpenter's shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Alving think that Oswald's father's life was wasted?
2. Describe the room the play takes place in?
3. Why does Oswald think his illness is so appalling?
4. How does Regina react to hearing that Mr. Alving was her father?
5. Why does Mrs. Alving think Engstrand married Joanna?
6. Why does Mrs. Alving not think it is a disgrace that Engstrand married for money?
7. What does Mrs. Alving say Oswald's father was like in the old days?
8. How is Pastor Manders helping with the building of the orphanage?
9. Why did Manders send Mrs. Alving back when she ran to him?
10. Why did Mrs. Alving send Oswald to school at such an early age?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Henrik Ibsen's life. In what way is his life and personality reflected in the play? In what ways is he like or unlike his characters?
Essay Topic 2
What does Mrs. Alving mean by ghosts? Why are the ghosts such an integral part of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the play's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)