|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the author describe Clinton's view of the CIA as an institution?
2. After the USS Cole attack, what was Bush's response when asked if terrorist-hosting nations should be subject to retaliation?
3. Where did U.S. ships and submarines with missiles wait to receive the coordinates of bin Laden's location?
4. Terrorists met at the Zawhar Kili camp that the U.S. attacked with Tomahawk missiles resulting in what to bin Laden?
5. Massoud's group was suspicious of the U.S. and its relationship to the Taliban, but who was his one CIA link?
Short Essay Questions
1. How had persistent Feminist Majority lobbying in opposition to the Taliban influenced the two most significant women in Clinton's administration?
2. What MiG fighter jet intercept mission of a CIA Predator drone was described in Chapter 29?
3. How was Clinton's visit to Pakistan among the strangest that presidential history has to offer?
4. How was Unocal introduced?
5. How did Prince Turki view the threat bin Laden posed?
6. What position did U.S. government Afghan specialist Zalmay Khalilzad take shortly following the takeover of Kabul by the Taliban?
7. What support did CIA field operatives reportedly seek from the White House team of Richard Clarke?
8. Why was Nawaz Sharif in fear of his army?
9. Why was it the CIA's working idea to attempt to keep bin Laden outside "KKJ"?
10. Why was George J. Tenet in various ways an unlikely candidate capable of repairing the breach between the CIA and Clinton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was author Steve Coll referring to when he noted an adviser to Ahmed Shah Massoud recalled a roughly translated Afghan phrase that went, "'Your mouth cannot be sweet when you talk about honey; you must have honey in your mouth'"?
Essay Topic 2
What was the cable draft that Timothy Carney found when he arrived in Khartoum, Sudan, in November 1996 that appalled him? What was ensured? What was the final outcome of that matter?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Pakistan become a far different setting in which to conduct covert action subsequent to the anti-Soviet jihad?
This section contains 1,259 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)