|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where on his inventory of threats the U.S. faced did Tenet rank bin Laden in 1999?
2. In each case that the Clinton Cabinet considered cruise missile strikes, what was a decisive problem?
3. The U.S. did not support Massoud but kept their contacts, as the official position would change if al-Qaeda attacked where?
4. George Tenet became CIA director in what year?
5. Unocal sent which two individuals to negotiate the pipeline?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the American ambassador to Pakistan in 1996 believe that nation would evolve?
2. How did John Deutch become the CIA chief?
3. What MiG fighter jet intercept mission of a CIA Predator drone was described in Chapter 29?
4. Why was it the CIA's working idea to attempt to keep bin Laden outside "KKJ"?
5. What plan was agreed to between Pakistani intelligence director Naseem Rana and CIA station chief Schroen regarding the capture of Mir Amal Kasi?
6. How was Unocal introduced?
7. What position did U.S. government Afghan specialist Zalmay Khalilzad take shortly following the takeover of Kabul by the Taliban?
8. Why did Schroen encounter difficulty recovering CIA Stinger missiles from the Taliban?
9. How had persistent Feminist Majority lobbying in opposition to the Taliban influenced the two most significant women in Clinton's administration?
10. How was the Afghan war changing by 1999?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has bin Laden's security consciousness hindered the CIA goal of capturing or killing him?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Pakistan become a far different setting in which to conduct covert action subsequent to the anti-Soviet jihad?
Essay Topic 3
Why did the Saudis view Abdurrab Rasul Sayyaf as the most important rebel during the war with the Soviets?
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)