|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many casualties resulted in these two U.S. embassy attacks in Africa?
2. Since the equipment was already in place, the CIA decided to use it for whose capture?
3. The CIA prevented surprise attacks through analysis of information they distributed in reports to avoid what?
4. How did Coll describe the relationship between Black and Pillar?
5. By early 1999, Tenet was certain that bin Laden would be capable of striking the U.S. at what point?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Clinton's visit to Pakistan among the strangest that presidential history has to offer?
2. How did Prince Turki view the threat bin Laden posed?
3. How was bin Laden described as having viewed himself in Chapter 21?
4. By early 1999, what was Tenet's view about the possibility bin Laden might again attack America?
5. Why was it the CIA's working idea to attempt to keep bin Laden outside "KKJ"?
6. What was part of the problem when Bush came into office in 2001?
7. What was the view of CIA staff members regarding Cofer Black's enthusiastic view for armed Predator drones?
8. How did the American ambassador to Pakistan in 1996 believe that nation would evolve?
9. What support did CIA field operatives reportedly seek from the White House team of Richard Clarke?
10. How was the Afghan war changing by 1999?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the cable draft that Timothy Carney found when he arrived in Khartoum, Sudan, in November 1996 that appalled him? What was ensured? What was the final outcome of that matter?
Essay Topic 2
Why did the Saudis view Abdurrab Rasul Sayyaf as the most important rebel during the war with the Soviets?
Essay Topic 3
What was author Steve Coll referring to when he noted an adviser to Ahmed Shah Massoud recalled a roughly translated Afghan phrase that went, "'Your mouth cannot be sweet when you talk about honey; you must have honey in your mouth'"?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)