|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Unocal sent which two individuals to negotiate the pipeline?
2. Tenet's reform program for the CIA did what?
3. How did Tenet view terrorism in terms of the level of threat it represented to the U.S. and the world?
4. The CIA prevented surprise attacks through analysis of information they distributed in reports to avoid what?
5. The 1997-2000 White House national security adviser was determined "terrorism and al Qaeda" would rank where?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Prince Turki view the threat bin Laden posed?
2. Why did Schroen encounter difficulty recovering CIA Stinger missiles from the Taliban?
3. How did the "bin Laden Issue Station" evolve?
4. How was the Afghan war changing by 1999?
5. How was bin Laden described as having viewed himself in Chapter 21?
6. What role had Tom Pickering assumed under Clinton?
7. What support did CIA field operatives reportedly seek from the White House team of Richard Clarke?
8. How did John Deutch become the CIA chief?
9. What was the view of CIA staff members regarding Cofer Black's enthusiastic view for armed Predator drones?
10. How did the American ambassador to Pakistan in 1996 believe that nation would evolve?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Cull referring to in Chapter 7 when he quoted Frank Anderson as having said, "The Reagan administration had attracted to Washington 'an awful lot of Soldier of Fortune readers'"?
Essay Topic 2
What was the title of Chapter 17, "Dangling the Carrot," in reference to? Why did Unocal's Marty Miller get out of his truck when it crossed into Pakistan at the conclusion of the chapter, kiss the ground, then do a little jig?
Essay Topic 3
What was the cable draft that Timothy Carney found when he arrived in Khartoum, Sudan, in November 1996 that appalled him? What was ensured? What was the final outcome of that matter?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)