|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A 1998 memorandum of notification signed by whom authorized CIA agents to use lethal force to capture bin Laden?
2. When Bush becomes the President, what was one of the initial changes made at the CIA?
3. Pakistan recognized the Taliban as its government without Sharif knowing, and days later the Taliban was expelled from where?
4. Equipment the CIA outfitted the Afghan tribal fighters with to use in their search for Kasi included what?
5. The CIA prevented surprise attacks through analysis of information they distributed in reports to avoid what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What support did CIA field operatives reportedly seek from the White House team of Richard Clarke?
2. How did John Deutch become the CIA chief?
3. Why was Nawaz Sharif in fear of his army?
4. How was Unocal introduced?
5. What role had Tom Pickering assumed under Clinton?
6. Why was autumn in 1999 rough for managers at the Counterterrorist Center who were reporting possible terrorist threats?
7. What was part of the problem when Bush came into office in 2001?
8. What plan was agreed to between Pakistani intelligence director Naseem Rana and CIA station chief Schroen regarding the capture of Mir Amal Kasi?
9. Why was George J. Tenet in various ways an unlikely candidate capable of repairing the breach between the CIA and Clinton?
10. How was Clinton's visit to Pakistan among the strangest that presidential history has to offer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the cable draft that Timothy Carney found when he arrived in Khartoum, Sudan, in November 1996 that appalled him? What was ensured? What was the final outcome of that matter?
Essay Topic 2
Why did the Saudis view Abdurrab Rasul Sayyaf as the most important rebel during the war with the Soviets?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Pakistan become a far different setting in which to conduct covert action subsequent to the anti-Soviet jihad?
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)