|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Prince Turki advised whom to ensure the Taliban understood bin Laden must be expelled to keep good relations?
2. With whom did the Turkmenistan government make their deal?
3. Who headed the Pakistani army from 1998 to 1999?
4. When the foreign oil representatives arrived in Afghanistan, why would Mullah Omar not meet with them?
5. A 1998 memorandum of notification signed by whom authorized CIA agents to use lethal force to capture bin Laden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What support did CIA field operatives reportedly seek from the White House team of Richard Clarke?
2. How was Clinton's visit to Pakistan among the strangest that presidential history has to offer?
3. Why was it the CIA's working idea to attempt to keep bin Laden outside "KKJ"?
4. How did Prince Turki view the threat bin Laden posed?
5. Why did Schroen encounter difficulty recovering CIA Stinger missiles from the Taliban?
6. What position did U.S. government Afghan specialist Zalmay Khalilzad take shortly following the takeover of Kabul by the Taliban?
7. What MiG fighter jet intercept mission of a CIA Predator drone was described in Chapter 29?
8. How did John Deutch become the CIA chief?
9. How had persistent Feminist Majority lobbying in opposition to the Taliban influenced the two most significant women in Clinton's administration?
10. How did the "bin Laden Issue Station" evolve?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What prompted Arab men to follow Cofer Black toward the end of his tour in Khartoum? What was the outcome?
Essay Topic 2
How did the Taliban begin in 1994 and evolve?
Essay Topic 3
What was the Hekmatyar-Tanai coup attempt? Does the evidence indicate bin Laden's involvement was as a semi-official Saudi intelligence liaison or an independent?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)