|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Views differ on what was said, but instead of Saudis, Sudanese spoke with bin Laden and he moved where?
2. When Deutch quit as CIA director after merely 19 months, the president attempted to nominate which individual?
3. Some of the 1998 U.S. embassy bombers belong to al-Qaeda sleeper cells in Africa, and all were trained where?
4. In each case that the Clinton Cabinet considered cruise missile strikes, what was a decisive problem?
5. Unocal sent which two individuals to negotiate the pipeline?
Short Essay Questions
1. What MiG fighter jet intercept mission of a CIA Predator drone was described in Chapter 29?
2. What position did U.S. government Afghan specialist Zalmay Khalilzad take shortly following the takeover of Kabul by the Taliban?
3. How did the American ambassador to Pakistan in 1996 believe that nation would evolve?
4. How did John Deutch become the CIA chief?
5. How did the "bin Laden Issue Station" evolve?
6. Why was George J. Tenet in various ways an unlikely candidate capable of repairing the breach between the CIA and Clinton?
7. How was the Afghan war changing by 1999?
8. What role had Tom Pickering assumed under Clinton?
9. Why did Schroen encounter difficulty recovering CIA Stinger missiles from the Taliban?
10. What was the view of CIA staff members regarding Cofer Black's enthusiastic view for armed Predator drones?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Cull referring to in Chapter 7 when he quoted Frank Anderson as having said, "The Reagan administration had attracted to Washington 'an awful lot of Soldier of Fortune readers'"?
Essay Topic 2
What reasonably should have been expected to have been done differently regarding American policy to al-Qaeda during the months that led up to 11 September 2001?
Essay Topic 3
What was the cable draft that Timothy Carney found when he arrived in Khartoum, Sudan, in November 1996 that appalled him? What was ensured? What was the final outcome of that matter?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)