|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A 1998 memorandum of notification signed by whom authorized CIA agents to use lethal force to capture bin Laden?
2. By when had bin Laden moved his operations to the south to Kandahar?
3. Massoud had gained strength in new arms deals and felt that the Taliban had weakened as he rebuilt what?
4. Who was the White House national security adviser between 1993 and 1997?
5. Bin Laden practiced operational security that was intensive and he was cautious of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How had the U.S. intelligence arms switched their focus by 1998?
2. How did the American ambassador to Pakistan in 1996 believe that nation would evolve?
3. Why was Nawaz Sharif in fear of his army?
4. How did John Deutch become the CIA chief?
5. How did Prince Turki view the threat bin Laden posed?
6. How had persistent Feminist Majority lobbying in opposition to the Taliban influenced the two most significant women in Clinton's administration?
7. What position did U.S. government Afghan specialist Zalmay Khalilzad take shortly following the takeover of Kabul by the Taliban?
8. What was part of the problem when Bush came into office in 2001?
9. Why was autumn in 1999 rough for managers at the Counterterrorist Center who were reporting possible terrorist threats?
10. Why were Clarke and his counter-terrorism group at the White House frustrated by late spring in 2000?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the cable draft that Timothy Carney found when he arrived in Khartoum, Sudan, in November 1996 that appalled him? What was ensured? What was the final outcome of that matter?
Essay Topic 2
What was author Steve Coll referring to when he noted an adviser to Ahmed Shah Massoud recalled a roughly translated Afghan phrase that went, "'Your mouth cannot be sweet when you talk about honey; you must have honey in your mouth'"?
Essay Topic 3
What was Cull referring to in Chapter 7 when he quoted Frank Anderson as having said, "The Reagan administration had attracted to Washington 'an awful lot of Soldier of Fortune readers'"?
This section contains 1,215 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)