|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Richard Clarke's White House counterterrorist group usually pressed for what type of tactics against bin Laden?
2. Marwan al-Shehhi told which librarian thousands would die at the World Trade Center, but he did not seem serious?
3. How did Coll describe the relationship between Black and Pillar?
4. By early 1999, Tenet was certain that bin Laden would be capable of striking the U.S. at what point?
5. Argentine oilman Carlos Bulgheroni had the same idea as Unocal and had whose support?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Unocal introduced?
2. How was bin Laden described as having viewed himself in Chapter 21?
3. What were some of the calculations the CIA's Counterterrorism Center had made regarding al Qaeda by late 1999?
4. What took place in the Oval Office meeting on 2 December 1998 in the early afternoon?
5. How was the Afghan war changing by 1999?
6. Why was Nawaz Sharif in fear of his army?
7. Why was it the CIA's working idea to attempt to keep bin Laden outside "KKJ"?
8. How had the U.S. intelligence arms switched their focus by 1998?
9. What was the view of CIA staff members regarding Cofer Black's enthusiastic view for armed Predator drones?
10. Why was George J. Tenet in various ways an unlikely candidate capable of repairing the breach between the CIA and Clinton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What prompted Arab men to follow Cofer Black toward the end of his tour in Khartoum? What was the outcome?
Essay Topic 2
What was author Steve Coll referring to when he noted an adviser to Ahmed Shah Massoud recalled a roughly translated Afghan phrase that went, "'Your mouth cannot be sweet when you talk about honey; you must have honey in your mouth'"?
Essay Topic 3
How did the Taliban begin in 1994 and evolve?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)