|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Unocal wanted to build a pipeline from what location through Kandahar to Pakistan?
2. Which two al-Qaeda operatives arrested around the 2000 New Year planned to carry out terrorist attacks?
3. In what year was Bhutto ousted from office and Nawaz Sharif became prime minister?
4. According to Chapter 26, Kahlid al Mihdhar and Nawaf al-Hazmi met in which capital?
5. When Ziauddin fell from power, which CIA branch lost an ally?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was George J. Tenet in various ways an unlikely candidate capable of repairing the breach between the CIA and Clinton?
2. Why was autumn in 1999 rough for managers at the Counterterrorist Center who were reporting possible terrorist threats?
3. What was part of the problem when Bush came into office in 2001?
4. What took place in the Oval Office meeting on 2 December 1998 in the early afternoon?
5. How was Unocal introduced?
6. What position did U.S. government Afghan specialist Zalmay Khalilzad take shortly following the takeover of Kabul by the Taliban?
7. How had the U.S. intelligence arms switched their focus by 1998?
8. How did the "bin Laden Issue Station" evolve?
9. How did the American ambassador to Pakistan in 1996 believe that nation would evolve?
10. Why did Schroen encounter difficulty recovering CIA Stinger missiles from the Taliban?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was author Steve Coll referring to when he noted an adviser to Ahmed Shah Massoud recalled a roughly translated Afghan phrase that went, "'Your mouth cannot be sweet when you talk about honey; you must have honey in your mouth'"?
Essay Topic 2
How has bin Laden's security consciousness hindered the CIA goal of capturing or killing him?
Essay Topic 3
What was the significance when the CIA re-established contact with Ahmed Shah Massoud in September 1996?
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)