|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sudan was told the Khartoum embassy would close given their terrorist support, but what was one step it could take?
2. Which former Clinton lobbyist was hired by Pervz Musharraf to assure the White House his outlook was liberal?
3. Tenet's reform program for the CIA did what?
4. How did those at Langley react when a Taliban Mig was monitored as it headed straight toward a Predator drone?
5. Uzbekistan, which is bordered to the south by Afghanistan, was ruled by which individual in 1999?
Short Essay Questions
1. What MiG fighter jet intercept mission of a CIA Predator drone was described in Chapter 29?
2. Why did Schroen encounter difficulty recovering CIA Stinger missiles from the Taliban?
3. How did John Deutch become the CIA chief?
4. How had the U.S. intelligence arms switched their focus by 1998?
5. How did the Taliban take their final major prize taken in northern Afghanistan?
6. What position did U.S. government Afghan specialist Zalmay Khalilzad take shortly following the takeover of Kabul by the Taliban?
7. Why was George J. Tenet in various ways an unlikely candidate capable of repairing the breach between the CIA and Clinton?
8. How was Clinton's visit to Pakistan among the strangest that presidential history has to offer?
9. How had persistent Feminist Majority lobbying in opposition to the Taliban influenced the two most significant women in Clinton's administration?
10. What was the view of CIA staff members regarding Cofer Black's enthusiastic view for armed Predator drones?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the significance when the CIA re-established contact with Ahmed Shah Massoud in September 1996?
Essay Topic 2
What was the title of Chapter 17, "Dangling the Carrot," in reference to? Why did Unocal's Marty Miller get out of his truck when it crossed into Pakistan at the conclusion of the chapter, kiss the ground, then do a little jig?
Essay Topic 3
How did the Central Intelligence Agency shape the jihad against the Soviets in Afghanistan in the 1980s?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)