|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Equipment the CIA outfitted the Afghan tribal fighters with to use in their search for Kasi included what?
2. According to Chapter 19, what nations did Massoud engage in locating sponsors?
3. Tenet was frustrated by what attention the Clinton Cabinet provided the al Qaeda threat?
4. Since the equipment was already in place, the CIA decided to use it for whose capture?
5. Where on his inventory of threats the U.S. faced did Tenet rank bin Laden in 1999?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was George J. Tenet in various ways an unlikely candidate capable of repairing the breach between the CIA and Clinton?
2. Why was Nawaz Sharif in fear of his army?
3. How did the "bin Laden Issue Station" evolve?
4. Why did Prince Turki believe that bin Laden had fallen through the cracks?
5. How had persistent Feminist Majority lobbying in opposition to the Taliban influenced the two most significant women in Clinton's administration?
6. What role had Tom Pickering assumed under Clinton?
7. What support did CIA field operatives reportedly seek from the White House team of Richard Clarke?
8. How had the U.S. intelligence arms switched their focus by 1998?
9. What plan was agreed to between Pakistani intelligence director Naseem Rana and CIA station chief Schroen regarding the capture of Mir Amal Kasi?
10. Why was autumn in 1999 rough for managers at the Counterterrorist Center who were reporting possible terrorist threats?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the "hermetic culture" the FBI had become infamous for by the beginning 1990s? What problems did it cause?
Essay Topic 2
What was the significance when the CIA re-established contact with Ahmed Shah Massoud in September 1996?
Essay Topic 3
What was the cable draft that Timothy Carney found when he arrived in Khartoum, Sudan, in November 1996 that appalled him? What was ensured? What was the final outcome of that matter?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)