|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The CIA hired Afghan tribal fighters to find Kasi, who attacked Langley in 1993, and who is captured when?
2. By early 1999, Tenet was certain that bin Laden would be capable of striking the U.S. at what point?
3. Which two al-Qaeda operatives arrested around the 2000 New Year planned to carry out terrorist attacks?
4. Who was the ISI head from 1998 to 1999?
5. Which nation did not meet multilateral lending requirements for the pipeline at that time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Unocal introduced?
2. How did John Deutch become the CIA chief?
3. Why was autumn in 1999 rough for managers at the Counterterrorist Center who were reporting possible terrorist threats?
4. How was Clinton's visit to Pakistan among the strangest that presidential history has to offer?
5. Why did Schroen encounter difficulty recovering CIA Stinger missiles from the Taliban?
6. What was part of the problem when Bush came into office in 2001?
7. How was bin Laden described as having viewed himself in Chapter 21?
8. How did Prince Turki view the threat bin Laden posed?
9. How was the Afghan war changing by 1999?
10. How did the Taliban take their final major prize taken in northern Afghanistan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the new secret two-track policy Peter Tomsen finalized toward the Afghan war subsequent to the Soviet troop withdrawal?
Essay Topic 2
What was noteworthy about the use of Predator reconnaissance drones?
Essay Topic 3
What was the "hermetic culture" the FBI had become infamous for by the beginning 1990s? What problems did it cause?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)