Prologue, Chapters 1-2
• CIA agent Gary Schroen met with Ahmed Shah Massoud to obtain his help against Osama bin Laden and to retrieve Stinger missiles they provided to Massoud during the Soviet war against Afghanistan.
• Wealthy sheikh Osama bin Laden came to Afghanistan in May 1996 for asylum and to provide assistance against the Soviets.
• Chapter 1 began with the attack on the U.S. embassy in Islamabad on 21 November 1979 and Schoen and others having destroyed classified documents.
• The majority of the embassy staff still in Islamabad took refuge inside the code room to await Pakistani government assistance.
• The Russians had a communist government within Afghanistan that resulted in an Islamic revolt in Herat by March 1979.
• The CIA began to conduct listening operations from Pakistan, and by December the Russians invaded Afghanistan.
• Howard Hart was a CIA agent, later station chief in Islamabad, who supplied arms...
This section contains 2,430 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)