|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the most popular class in the prison, "University of the Far East"?
2. What name got painted on the American plane that flew over Cabanatuan?
3. What was the largest non-American contingent of prisoners at Cabanatuan?
4. Where was Ralph Rodriguez from?
5. How much sleep did the Rangers get in the last seventy-two hours as they were marching prisoners to freedom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why weren't the Signal Corps men as excited as the Rangers as the mission got underway?
2. How did Nellist remove a metal fragment from Rounsaville?
3. Who was the last prisoner left in Cabanatuan and why was he left there?
4. How was the Platero schoolhouse transformed into a makeshift hospital?
5. What extensive underground developed that regularly smuggled goods into the camp at Cabanatuan?
6. What concerns did Mucci have about the guerrillas as they readied to attack Cabanatuan?
7. Describe the weed named cogon.
8. What would happen to a prisoner if he would slip a root or a pod of beans into his personal gunny sack?
9. How did Pajota suggest that the injured prisoners be transported back to American lines?
10. What would Prince oversee as assault commander?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the rules and patterns that Bank observed about how to avoid punishment or death.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss how the Japanese viewed the prisoner-of-war status and what they would do to avoid becoming prisoners.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss the retreat of the Japanese in 1945 and how their commander attempted to keep the retreat from being a rout.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)