|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What song was Ralph Rodriguez playing on a phonograph the evening of January 30?
2. Where was the glow of fighting coming from that the prisoners could see from Cabanatuan in early January?
3. What did one of the locals give Prince to eat?
4. What was the least desirable of all the Cabanatuan work details?
5. How did Lieutenant Nellist hide his M-1when he and Private Vaquilar went to a deserted shack?
Short Essay Questions
1. When McCarty and some other prisoners went back to the Japanese side to find more food, what did they encounter on their way back?
2. What were some valuables that the prisoners stowed around the camp that they weren't allowed to take with them?
3. What efforts did the American prisoners who had engineering skills make to improve Cabanatuan prison?
4. What did Captain Pajota suggest as cover for the Rangers as they wriggled to their positions in the fields?
5. Describe the weed named cogon.
6. What would happen to a prisoner if he would slip a root or a pod of beans into his personal gunny sack?
7. How did Teddy Richardson get the padlock open on the front gate?
8. Describe what some of the prisoners were doing moments before the Rangers began the raid.
9. How was the Platero schoolhouse transformed into a makeshift hospital?
10. How did Pajota suggest that the injured prisoners be transported back to American lines?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the aphorism, "There are no atheists in foxholes," and how it applied to Captain Bank.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss the retreat of the Japanese in 1945 and how their commander attempted to keep the retreat from being a rout.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the reactions of the prisoners during the rescue and why some of the prisoners fought the rescue.
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)