|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Approximately how tall was the gate at the main entrance to Cabanatuan?
2. What was the least desirable of all the Cabanatuan work details?
3. Which of the Rangers was seriously injured when a Japanese soldier fired a knee mortar?
4. When did Corregidor surrender?
5. What did Tommie Thomas build in his daydreams at Cabanatuan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was an aswang?
2. Who were evacuated from Platero and other barrios?
3. How were most of the Cabanatuan prisoners transported back to the United States?
4. What efforts did the American prisoners who had engineering skills make to improve Cabanatuan prison?
5. When McCarty and some other prisoners went back to the Japanese side to find more food, what did they encounter on their way back?
6. When the Rangers began getting sleepy on the march, what were they given to keep them awake?
7. What happened when Tommie Thomas caught diphtheria?
8. Why wasn't Prince worried about informants when they arrived in Balincarin and learned that people knew all about the Rangers' mission?
9. What did Captain Pajota suggest as cover for the Rangers as they wriggled to their positions in the fields?
10. How was Pajota planning for the rescue mission?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the Japanese treated prisoners of war and use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss how the Japanese viewed the prisoner-of-war status and what they would do to avoid becoming prisoners.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the intelligence Mucci received and why it influenced his decision to delay the rescue mission for 24 hours.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)