|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After prisoners shipped out of Cabanatuan, who became the commanding American officer?
2. Where was the glow of fighting coming from that the prisoners could see from Cabanatuan in early January?
3. What type of fighter planes flew over Cabanatuan January 19?
4. What time did Pajota set a bomb to detonate on the Cabu River bridge?
5. Who removed the padlock from the front gate of Cabanatuan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were evacuated from Platero and other barrios?
2. What would happen to a prisoner if he would slip a root or a pod of beans into his personal gunny sack?
3. What efforts did the American prisoners who had engineering skills make to improve Cabanatuan prison?
4. How were most of the Cabanatuan prisoners transported back to the United States?
5. What was special about the P-61 plane?
6. Why weren't the Signal Corps men as excited as the Rangers as the mission got underway?
7. When the Rangers began getting sleepy on the march, what were they given to keep them awake?
8. What extensive underground developed that regularly smuggled goods into the camp at Cabanatuan?
9. What would Prince oversee as assault commander?
10. What did Captain Pajota suggest as cover for the Rangers as they wriggled to their positions in the fields?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Claire Phillips assisted in the resistance efforts against the Japanese.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss General Homma's plan for evacuating Americans and Filipinos from the Bataan peninsula and the flaws in his plan.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the aphorism, "There are no atheists in foxholes," and how it applied to Captain Bank.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)