|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of fighter planes flew over Cabanatuan January 19?
2. Where was Dr. Fisher raised?
3. What did Colonel Duckworth break when fleeing the camp?
4. How long did it take the Rangers to neutralize the towers and pill boxes?
5. What dormant volcano could be seen to the west as the Rangers crawled toward Cabanatuan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would happen to a prisoner if he would slip a root or a pod of beans into his personal gunny sack?
2. How did Nellist remove a metal fragment from Rounsaville?
3. When McCarty and some other prisoners went back to the Japanese side to find more food, what did they encounter on their way back?
4. When the Rangers began getting sleepy on the march, what were they given to keep them awake?
5. Who were evacuated from Platero and other barrios?
6. What would Prince oversee as assault commander?
7. How was the Platero schoolhouse transformed into a makeshift hospital?
8. How was the barking problem in Platero solved?
9. Describe what some of the prisoners were doing moments before the Rangers began the raid.
10. Who was the last prisoner left in Cabanatuan and why was he left there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the reasons why the prisoners believed they would be massacred. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss how the Japanese viewed the prisoner-of-war status and what they would do to avoid becoming prisoners.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the reactions of the prisoners during the rescue and why some of the prisoners fought the rescue.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)