|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the American provost-marshal in charge of perimeter patrols at Cabanatuan?
2. How far would the Rangers have to crawl on their stomachs toward the camp?
3. Who removed the padlock from the front gate of Cabanatuan?
4. What caused a strange condition where the prisoners necks turned to rubber and they couldn't hold up their heads?
5. Who died just as the prisoners and Rangers crossed American lines?
Short Essay Questions
1. What concerns did Mucci have about the guerrillas as they readied to attack Cabanatuan?
2. What happened when Tommie Thomas caught diphtheria?
3. What was special about the P-61 plane?
4. What would Prince oversee as assault commander?
5. How was Pajota planning for the rescue mission?
6. Why weren't the Signal Corps men as excited as the Rangers as the mission got underway?
7. How was the barking problem in Platero solved?
8. What did Captain Pajota suggest as cover for the Rangers as they wriggled to their positions in the fields?
9. How were most of the Cabanatuan prisoners transported back to the United States?
10. How was Platero made the Ranger staging area and bivouac site?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the Japanese treated prisoners of war and use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss General Homma's plan for evacuating Americans and Filipinos from the Bataan peninsula and the flaws in his plan.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the reactions of the prisoners during the rescue and why some of the prisoners fought the rescue.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)