|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did one of the locals give Prince to eat?
2. In Chapter 8, how high was the Pampanga River in places?
3. What did the Navy men use to sound the half hours of each day at Cabanatuan?
4. What river had the Rangers forded before encountering the fields of grass?
5. What language did Dr. Fisher speak fluently?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the weed named cogon.
2. When the Rangers began getting sleepy on the march, what were they given to keep them awake?
3. How did Pajota suggest that the injured prisoners be transported back to American lines?
4. What happened when Tommie Thomas caught diphtheria?
5. How was Pajota planning for the rescue mission?
6. How were most of the Cabanatuan prisoners transported back to the United States?
7. How was the Platero schoolhouse transformed into a makeshift hospital?
8. When McCarty and some other prisoners went back to the Japanese side to find more food, what did they encounter on their way back?
9. What concerns did Mucci have about the guerrillas as they readied to attack Cabanatuan?
10. What did Captain Pajota suggest as cover for the Rangers as they wriggled to their positions in the fields?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the Japanese treated prisoners of war and use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss General Homma's plan for evacuating Americans and Filipinos from the Bataan peninsula and the flaws in his plan.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why the prisoners at Cabanatuan considered themselves the ghosts of Bataan.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)