|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Lieutenant Edward "Tommie" Thomas from?
2. Where were the Army photographers from who accompanied the Rangers on their rescue mission?
3. What type of gun did most Rangers, including Captain Prince, carry?
4. From where did General MacArthur direct the action after the December attack by the Japanese?
5. What was Abraham's wife's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Teddy Richardson get the padlock open on the front gate?
2. How was Pajota planning for the rescue mission?
3. When and how did the Americans invade the Philippines after the Japanese attack and occupation?
4. Describe the weed named cogon.
5. What happened after the men were in the air-raid shelters?
6. On December 14, what difference occurred in the routine of the men working on the airstrip?
7. How was the Platero schoolhouse transformed into a makeshift hospital?
8. Why did American prisoners discard anything that had the words "Made in Japan"?
9. When the Rangers began getting sleepy on the march, what were they given to keep them awake?
10. For the men of Bataan, what was the real enemy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the reasons why the prisoners believed they would be massacred. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the reactions of the prisoners during the rescue and why some of the prisoners fought the rescue.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why General King decided to surrender to the Japanese without approval from his superiors, using examples from the book.
This section contains 1,280 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)