|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Dr. Ralph Emerson Hibbs's rank?
2. What world record did Abraham break when he was 16?
3. What did the prisoners call the Battan Death March at the time that they were making the trip?
4. What type of beach was at the edge of a cliff near the Puerto Princesa prison compound?
5. What type of planes did the prisoners see after the air-raid alarm sounded on December 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did American prisoners discard anything that had the words "Made in Japan"?
2. What was the mood of the men as they ready for the raid on January 28, 1945?
3. Why did Mucci want photographers to accompany the Rangers on their rescue mission?
4. What mixed responses did Abie Abraham and the other Americans receive as they marched north to the prison camp?
5. What is a reason the Japanese didn't review their evacuation plan when they realized there were more prisoners than previously estimated?
6. How did Dr. Hibbs describe his posting in the Philippines in late November 1941?
7. Who was Keezel?
8. Why did the Rangers hate Mucci and then change their minds about him?
9. What type of equipment did Army photographers bring when they accompanied the Rangers on their rescue mission?
10. What concern did Major Robert Lapham present to G-2 officer Horton White?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the intelligence Mucci received and why it influenced his decision to delay the rescue mission for 24 hours.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the Japanese treated prisoners of war and use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how the Filipinos felt about the Japanese and how they felt about the Americans.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)