|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Dr. Hibbs go to medical school?
2. How far were the rangers from Cabanatuan when they stopped to begin marching on foot?
3. What mountains bordered the flat sugar country the Rangers drove through on their way to Cabanatuan?
4. What were the Rangers taking to give to the prisoners if the raid was successful?
5. What was the date when Abie Abraham and his comrades had to stand near water, but could not drink?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the barking problem in Platero solved?
2. What would happen to a prisoner if he would slip a root or a pod of beans into his personal gunny sack?
3. What would Prince oversee as assault commander?
4. How were most of the Cabanatuan prisoners transported back to the United States?
5. Why was Dr. Ralph Hibbs lying delirious in a ditch at the beginning of Chapter 1?
6. How did Eugene Nielsen escape after the air-raid shelters at Puerto Princesa got set on fire?
7. How did Van Geldern get sent to the Philippines before Captain Prince?
8. Describe what some of the prisoners were doing moments before the Rangers began the raid.
9. Why were the Japanese gathering in Cabanatuan?
10. What was the mood of the men as they ready for the raid on January 28, 1945?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the intelligence Mucci received and why it influenced his decision to delay the rescue mission for 24 hours.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss the retreat of the Japanese in 1945 and how their commander attempted to keep the retreat from being a rout.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the cultural differences that led to the disaster that became known as the Bataan Death March.
This section contains 1,272 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)