|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who rode at the head of the column of Rangers?
2. What province did the Rangers drive through the morning they left for the Cabanatuan rescue mission?
3. What officer liberated 1,000 American and Filipino prisoners and even gave them advice on what routes to take?
4. Where was Eugene Nielsen born and raised?
5. Where did Van Geldern attend college?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Japanese historian Murakami Hyoe, how did Tsuji show that prisoners should be treated?
2. Who was Lieutenant Henry Lee?
3. When and how did MacArthur leave his Corregidor bunker?
4. What concern did Major Robert Lapham present to G-2 officer Horton White?
5. On December 14, what difference occurred in the routine of the men working on the airstrip?
6. What happened when a Japanese guard wanted an American's West Point Ring?
7. Why didn't War Plan Orange succeed?
8. What did Lieutenant Sato do when C.C. Smith refused to go into the air-raid shelter?
9. What was The Military Field Code?
10. What had the prisoners of Puerto Princesa Prison Camp been working on during internment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss how the Japanese viewed the prisoner-of-war status and what they would do to avoid becoming prisoners.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss the retreat of the Japanese in 1945 and how their commander attempted to keep the retreat from being a rout.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Colonel Masanobu Tsuji and General Homma, using examples from the book.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)