|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Cabanatuan mean?
2. How far from Manila did the January 9, 1945, invasion take place?
3. How many soldiers were fighting on Bataan under General King's command?
4. Where were the survivors of the massacre at Puerto Princesa evacuated?
5. Who refused to go into the air-raid shelters on December 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mixed responses did Abie Abraham and the other Americans receive as they marched north to the prison camp?
2. With surrender eminent, what were the men on Bataan who were fleeing from Japanese doing to their equipment?
3. Why didn't War Plan Orange succeed?
4. What was the mood of the men as they ready for the raid on January 28, 1945?
5. How did Dr. Hibbs describe his posting in the Philippines in late November 1941?
6. Why did Mucci want photographers to accompany the Rangers on their rescue mission?
7. What were Army veterinarians doing as the men fled toward Mariveles?
8. Who was Keezel?
9. For the men of Bataan, what was the real enemy?
10. What did Lieutenant Sato do when C.C. Smith refused to go into the air-raid shelter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the intelligence Mucci received and why it influenced his decision to delay the rescue mission for 24 hours.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Colonel Masanobu Tsuji and General Homma, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Argue whether the men should have tried to escape when the Japanese left the camp unguarded. Use examples from the book to support your arguments.
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)