|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By January 28, toward what city were the Japanese making a ragged retreat?
2. What was the name of the monkey brought from the Philippines from New Guinea?
3. When General King was about to surrender, how much food did his quartermaster report that he had to dole out to the men?
4. What defensive strategy did Douglas MacArthur execute when the Japanese attacked the Philippines in December of 1941?
5. How many Chinese was Colonel Tsuji said to be personally responsible for their deaths?
Short Essay Questions
1. On December 14, what difference occurred in the routine of the men working on the airstrip?
2. What had the prisoners of Puerto Princesa Prison Camp been working on during internment?
3. For the men of Bataan, what was the real enemy?
4. How did Eugene Nielsen escape after the air-raid shelters at Puerto Princesa got set on fire?
5. What concern did Major Robert Lapham present to G-2 officer Horton White?
6. What mixed responses did Abie Abraham and the other Americans receive as they marched north to the prison camp?
7. What happened after the men were in the air-raid shelters?
8. What was The Military Field Code?
9. Approximately how many died as the Americans and Filipinos moved north out of Bataan?
10. Why were the Japanese gathering in Cabanatuan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Colonel Masanobu Tsuji and General Homma, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the reactions of the prisoners during the rescue and why some of the prisoners fought the rescue.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why the prisoners at Cabanatuan considered themselves the ghosts of Bataan.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)