|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the principal island in the Philippines?
2. What had the prisoners at Puerto Princesa Prison Camp been building during their internment?
3. Who was the commander of the U.S. Sixth Army in January of 1945?
4. What did the prisoners call the Battan Death March at the time that they were making the trip?
5. What other attack occurred on the same day as the attack on Luzon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of equipment did Army photographers bring when they accompanied the Rangers on their rescue mission?
2. Why did Abraham believe that those who didn't have dysentery before the march out of Bataan would surely get dysentery?
3. How would the Filipinos show their loyalty to the Americans as prisoners marched north out of Bataan?
4. Who was Keezel?
5. What was The Military Field Code?
6. What were Army veterinarians doing as the men fled toward Mariveles?
7. What happened after the men were in the air-raid shelters?
8. Why were the Japanese gathering in Cabanatuan?
9. What is a reason the Japanese didn't review their evacuation plan when they realized there were more prisoners than previously estimated?
10. What mixed responses did Abie Abraham and the other Americans receive as they marched north to the prison camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss General Homma's plan for evacuating Americans and Filipinos from the Bataan peninsula and the flaws in his plan.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss the retreat of the Japanese in 1945 and how their commander attempted to keep the retreat from being a rout.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss how the Japanese viewed the prisoner-of-war status and what they would do to avoid becoming prisoners.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)