|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was at the rear of the soldiers who were trying to flee to Mariveles?
2. Where were the prisoners loaded into boxcars?
3. Of all the prisoners who passed through O'Donnell, how many died there?
4. What agricultural outpost did the Ranger convoy reach around 7:15 a.m.?
5. What did the prisoners call the Battan Death March at the time that they were making the trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. For the men of Bataan, what was the real enemy?
2. How did Van Geldern get sent to the Philippines before Captain Prince?
3. How did Dr. Hibbs describe his posting in the Philippines in late November 1941?
4. Why did Mucci want photographers to accompany the Rangers on their rescue mission?
5. With surrender eminent, what were the men on Bataan who were fleeing from Japanese doing to their equipment?
6. According to Japanese historian Murakami Hyoe, how did Tsuji show that prisoners should be treated?
7. What happened when a Japanese guard wanted an American's West Point Ring?
8. What had the prisoners of Puerto Princesa Prison Camp been working on during internment?
9. What type of equipment did Army photographers bring when they accompanied the Rangers on their rescue mission?
10. Approximately how many died as the Americans and Filipinos moved north out of Bataan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Colonel Masanobu Tsuji and General Homma, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the Japanese treated prisoners of war and use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why General King decided to surrender to the Japanese without approval from his superiors, using examples from the book.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)