|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Abraham raise in his backyard during his time stationed in the Philippines?
2. On the morning of December 14, where did a Japanese seaplane spot a convoy of American destroyers and battleships?
3. What did the Americans call the enemy surveillance planes?
4. Where were the Army photographers from who accompanied the Rangers on their rescue mission?
5. From where did General MacArthur direct the action after the December attack by the Japanese?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had the prisoners of Puerto Princesa Prison Camp been working on during internment?
2. How did Van Geldern get sent to the Philippines before Captain Prince?
3. What type of equipment did Army photographers bring when they accompanied the Rangers on their rescue mission?
4. When and how did the Americans invade the Philippines after the Japanese attack and occupation?
5. Who was Keezel?
6. What were Army veterinarians doing as the men fled toward Mariveles?
7. What was The Military Field Code?
8. What did Lieutenant Sato do when C.C. Smith refused to go into the air-raid shelter?
9. Why was Dr. Ralph Hibbs lying delirious in a ditch at the beginning of Chapter 1?
10. What happened when a Japanese guard wanted an American's West Point Ring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Commandant Mori and Captain Tsuneyoshi, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the reactions of the prisoners during the rescue and why some of the prisoners fought the rescue.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why General King decided to surrender to the Japanese without approval from his superiors, using examples from the book.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)