|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Near what town did General King meet with the Japanese to discuss the terms of surrender?
2. Where did Reed Shurtleff attend college?
3. What type of food was a monkey scrambling over on January 28, 1945?
4. What did the prisoners call the Battan Death March at the time that they were making the trip?
5. How far were the rangers from Cabanatuan when they stopped to begin marching on foot?
Short Essay Questions
1. When and how did the Americans invade the Philippines after the Japanese attack and occupation?
2. Why did American prisoners discard anything that had the words "Made in Japan"?
3. What was the mood of the men as they ready for the raid on January 28, 1945?
4. What type of equipment did Army photographers bring when they accompanied the Rangers on their rescue mission?
5. Who was Keezel?
6. Why didn't War Plan Orange succeed?
7. What happened when a Japanese guard wanted an American's West Point Ring?
8. What is a reason the Japanese didn't review their evacuation plan when they realized there were more prisoners than previously estimated?
9. Why was Dr. Ralph Hibbs lying delirious in a ditch at the beginning of Chapter 1?
10. How did Dr. Hibbs describe his posting in the Philippines in late November 1941?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the reasons why the prisoners believed they would be massacred. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss the retreat of the Japanese in 1945 and how their commander attempted to keep the retreat from being a rout.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the Japanese treated prisoners of war and use examples from the book.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)