|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the approximate temperature inside each boxcar?
2. From where did General MacArthur direct the action after the December attack by the Japanese?
3. Where was Lieutenant Edward "Tommie" Thomas from?
4. In December, where did the Japanese bombers and Zeros catch a large part of the American Air Force of the Far East on the ground?
5. What was Colonel Tsuji called by the young Japanese officers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Approximately how many died as the Americans and Filipinos moved north out of Bataan?
2. What concern did Major Robert Lapham present to G-2 officer Horton White?
3. How would the Filipinos show their loyalty to the Americans as prisoners marched north out of Bataan?
4. On December 14, what difference occurred in the routine of the men working on the airstrip?
5. What was the mood of the men as they ready for the raid on January 28, 1945?
6. Why did the Rangers hate Mucci and then change their minds about him?
7. When and how did MacArthur leave his Corregidor bunker?
8. Why were the Japanese gathering in Cabanatuan?
9. What happened when a Japanese guard wanted an American's West Point Ring?
10. Why was Dr. Ralph Hibbs lying delirious in a ditch at the beginning of Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss General Homma's plan for evacuating Americans and Filipinos from the Bataan peninsula and the flaws in his plan.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the aphorism, "There are no atheists in foxholes," and how it applied to Captain Bank.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the reasons why the prisoners believed they would be massacred. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)