|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Cabanatuan mean?
2. Where did the small number of men who escaped from Philippine prison camps manage to escape to?
3. How was the American who tried to drink from a spring killed?
4. What type of beach was at the edge of a cliff near the Puerto Princesa prison compound?
5. How many soldiers were fighting on Bataan under General King's command?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Rangers hate Mucci and then change their minds about him?
2. Why did American prisoners discard anything that had the words "Made in Japan"?
3. When and how did MacArthur leave his Corregidor bunker?
4. According to Japanese historian Murakami Hyoe, how did Tsuji show that prisoners should be treated?
5. What did Lieutenant Sato do when C.C. Smith refused to go into the air-raid shelter?
6. How did Van Geldern get sent to the Philippines before Captain Prince?
7. With surrender eminent, what were the men on Bataan who were fleeing from Japanese doing to their equipment?
8. What mixed responses did Abie Abraham and the other Americans receive as they marched north to the prison camp?
9. What happened when a Japanese guard wanted an American's West Point Ring?
10. How did General Yamashita plan to conduct the withdrawal of his troops as the Americans forced the Japanese to withdraw?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss the retreat of the Japanese in 1945 and how their commander attempted to keep the retreat from being a rout.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Colonel Masanobu Tsuji and General Homma, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss how the Japanese viewed the prisoner-of-war status and what they would do to avoid becoming prisoners.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)