|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the prisoners call the Battan Death March at the time that they were making the trip?
2. How old were many of the Japanese soldiers guarding Abie Abraham and his comrades?
3. What did Cabanatuan mean?
4. On what day did General Edward King surrender to the Japanese?
5. What other historic event happened on the day that General King surrendered to the Japanese?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Keezel?
2. What was The Military Field Code?
3. Why was Dr. Ralph Hibbs lying delirious in a ditch at the beginning of Chapter 1?
4. With surrender eminent, what were the men on Bataan who were fleeing from Japanese doing to their equipment?
5. What happened when a Japanese guard wanted an American's West Point Ring?
6. How did Dr. Hibbs describe his posting in the Philippines in late November 1941?
7. What is a reason the Japanese didn't review their evacuation plan when they realized there were more prisoners than previously estimated?
8. What mixed responses did Abie Abraham and the other Americans receive as they marched north to the prison camp?
9. What were Army veterinarians doing as the men fled toward Mariveles?
10. Why were the Japanese gathering in Cabanatuan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how and why the Filipinos helped Americans in the fight against the Japanese.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss General Homma's plan for evacuating Americans and Filipinos from the Bataan peninsula and the flaws in his plan.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Commandant Mori and Captain Tsuneyoshi, using examples from the book.
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)