|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Rangers were going on the rescue mission to Cabanatuan?
(a) 75 Rangers.
(b) 98 Rangers.
(c) 121 Rangers.
(d) 135 Rangers.
2. What was Colonel Tsuji called by the young Japanese officers?
(a) The Hatchet Man.
(b) The Butcher.
(c) The God of Operations.
(d) The Spy.
3. Where did Bertram Bank go to college?
(a) University of Louisiana.
(b) University of Alabama.
(c) University of Georgia.
(d) University of Mississippi.
4. When did Bertram Bank arrive in Manila?
(a) November 1941.
(b) March 1942.
(c) February 1940.
(d) January 1939.
5. When did the prisoners construct the air-raid shelters at Puerto Princesa Prison Camp?
6. Where did Dr. Hibbs go to medical school?
(a) University of Iowa.
(b) University of Illinois.
(c) University of Indiana.
(d) University of Wisconsin.
7. What type of beach was at the edge of a cliff near the Puerto Princesa prison compound?
(a) Rocky beach.
(b) Pumice beach.
(c) Coral beach.
(d) White sandy beach.
8. Where was Bertram Bank raised?
9. What province did the Rangers drive through the morning they left for the Cabanatuan rescue mission?
10. Where were the prisoners loaded into boxcars?
(a) Santa Ana.
(b) San Simon.
(c) Santa Rita.
(d) San Fernando.
11. What did the prisoners call the Battan Death March at the time that they were making the trip?
(a) The Mission.
(b) The Hike.
(c) The March.
(d) The Death Walk.
12. Where did the small number of men who escaped from Philippine prison camps manage to escape to?
(b) New Zealand.
(c) New Guinea.
13. What were the Rangers taking to give to the prisoners if the raid was successful?
(c) Chocolate bars.
14. How far were the rangers from Cabanatuan when they stopped to begin marching on foot?
(a) 25 miles.
(b) 45 miles.
(c) 30 miles.
(d) 60 miles.
15. How many friends did Captain Robert Prince have who had been sent to the Philippines before he was and had been trapped on Bataan?
(a) One friend.
(b) Two friends.
(c) Three friends.
(d) Four friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What defensive strategy did Douglas MacArthur execute when the Japanese attacked the Philippines in December of 1941?
2. Of all the prisoners who passed through O'Donnell, how many died there?
3. Who was in charge of the Japanese forces that were retreating in January of 1945?
4. What did a Filipino tell Eugene Neilsen after Neilsen asked the man to write the War Department about the massacre at Puerto Princesa?
5. What other historic event happened on the day that General King surrendered to the Japanese?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)