|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who talks about Jerome most days after dinner?
2. When did Emmett visit his cousins?
3. What does Officer Moore say when asked if he announced himself to Jerome?
4. Where does Carlos say is his home now?
5. What do Emmett's cousins warn him about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Carlos go to Jerome's house after Jerome dies?
2. What book does Sarah give Kim?
3. What toy is Jerome playing with at the end of the novel?
4. How did Emmett Till die?
5. What does Officer Moore say when the prosecutor asks him why he shot Jerome in the back?
6. How does Jerome's perspective of Chicago change after death?
7. Why does Sarah build a website?
8. What does Kim tell Carlos he needs to do?
9. What does Carlos confess to Grandma?
10. What Mexican holiday is on November 1st?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay in which you explore the literary techniques the author utilizes in the book. What specific techniques does she use, and in what ways do they impact the story? Use evidence from the text for support.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay analyzing how the author uses characters and behaviors to develop and strengthen the theme of grief. Who feels grief, and why? How do they cope with it?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay in which you discuss the role that history plays in this novel. What types of historical figures or events does the novel make reference to, and why? What is the significance of history -- specifically of Black history -- in this novel?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)