|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jerome think of Carlos?
2. What does Kim get for Carlos?
3. What event happens on April 19?
4. Why does Jerome cry with the ghost boys?
5. What is the point of the preliminary hearings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Emmett's cousins panic when he came out of the grocery store?
2. What is the result of the hearing?
3. Who helps Grandma walk Kim to school?
4. What does Sarah ask her dad to help her with?
5. What does Officer Moore say when the prosecutor asks him if he shot Jerome from the police cruiser?
6. What does Carlos confess to Grandma?
7. What Mexican holiday is on November 1st?
8. Who does Jerome tell Sarah she needs to talk to?
9. What toy is Jerome playing with at the end of the novel?
10. What book does Sarah give Kim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay in which you explore Jerome's life before his death. What kind of life does he live, and what does he think about it? Use examples from the text to explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay in which you discuss how Jerome's understanding of the world as a whole changes after his death. What kinds of things does Jerome realize after his life is taken, and what observations bring him to these realizations? Use examples from the text to explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay analyzing how the author uses characters and behaviors to develop and strengthen the theme of grief. Who feels grief, and why? How do they cope with it?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)