|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Hob give to Little Sister?
2. What reason does Little Sister give for staying on the roof so long?
3. What does Aunt Patty say to Willa Jo that lets her know she is fed up with her?
4. What did the doctors ask when Noreen, Milly and the girls went to the hospital?
5. Willa Jo has a scary dream about Baby ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What insight does Uncle Hob offer as to why Noreen is coming to get the girls?
2. What does Miss Pettibone do when Willa Jo says she is going to the drugstore to call Aunt Patty?
3. Why do all the other girls blame Willa Jo when Miss Pettibone gets upset with them?
4. What are Aunt Patty's laments regarding people's lack of appreciation for her?
5. How does the author end the story on a hopeful note?
6. What was the nuclear family of Willa Jo and Little Sister prior to Baby's birth?
7. Why does Aunt Patty suggest taking the girls home with her for awhile and how does Willa Jo secretly feel about it?
8. Why was the girls' father gone from home so much and what suggestion did Aunt Patty have for Noreen and the girls?
9. What recurring dream does Willa Jo have and what does she do upon waking?
10. What behavior was Noreen exhibiting that showed her depression and why was Willa Jo happy that Aunt Patty arrived?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
What is the greatest lesson Willa Jo learns from Aunt Patty? Is it that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Willa Jo always recall about her experiences during her twelfth summer?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Noreen. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)