|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did Noreen NOT do all morning when Baby was sick?
2. Why does Willa Jo want to go to the drugstore?
3. What does Uncle Hob ask the girls on the roof when he sticks his head out a window?
4. Liz is on her way to the store to buy _______________.
5. Where had Willa Jo's father worked before it went out of business?
Short Essay Questions
1. What insight does Uncle Hob offer as to why Noreen is coming to get the girls?
2. How do Aunt Patty and Uncle Hob differ in their approaches to relating to the girls?
3. Even though Baby died at sunrise, what flicker of hope does a sunrise hold for the family?
4. What lessons has Aunt Patty learned by having the girls with her for awhile?
5. What recurring dream does Willa Jo have and what does she do upon waking?
6. How does the author end the story on a hopeful note?
7. Why does Willa Jo associate Baby's death with the sunrise?
8. What behavior was Noreen exhibiting that showed her depression and why was Willa Jo happy that Aunt Patty arrived?
9. Why does Aunt Patty suggest taking the girls home with her for awhile and how does Willa Jo secretly feel about it?
10. Describe what happened in the house on the morning that Baby died.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Getting Near to Baby" is a classic example of a coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the lives of Willa Jo and Liz. How are their circumstances similar? In what ways are their lives different? What draws them together to make them friends? What could have threatened to kill a friendship even before it began?
Essay Topic 3
What is the greatest lesson Willa Jo learns from Aunt Patty? Is it that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Willa Jo always recall about her experiences during her twelfth summer?
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)