|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willa Jo tell Uncle Hob that she and Little Sister would like to have returned to them?
2. What does Willa Jo find her mother doing the morning after Baby's funeral?
3. A dream about _______________ wakens Willa Jo.
4. Why does Noreen think Baby is fussy on the way home?
5. Where did Noreen get the water for Baby at the carnival?
Short Essay Questions
1. What message is Uncle Hob hoping the girls get from his story about staying with his grieving grandfather?
2. What does Miss Pettibone do when Willa Jo says she is going to the drugstore to call Aunt Patty?
3. Why has Aunt Patty joined the others sitting on the roof?
4. How do Aunt Patty and Uncle Hob differ in their approaches to relating to the girls?
5. What recurring dream does Willa Jo have and what does she do upon waking?
6. Why does Aunt Patty suggest taking the girls home with her for awhile and how does Willa Jo secretly feel about it?
7. Describe what happened in the house on the morning that Baby died.
8. Explain the symbolism of Willa Jo's dream and why Willa Jo is so angry.
9. Why does Willa Jo associate Baby's death with the sunrise?
10. What are Aunt Patty's laments regarding people's lack of appreciation for her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the greatest lesson Willa Jo learns from Aunt Patty? Is it that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Willa Jo always recall about her experiences during her twelfth summer?
Essay Topic 2
Audrey Couloumbis is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Willa Jo. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 1,299 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)