|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did Noreen NOT do all morning when Baby was sick?
2. Uncle Hob gives the girls a mason jar filled with __________________.
3. Which of the following did Uncle Hob NOT do when he stayed with his grandfather?
4. What does Uncle Hob recall about the summer he spent with his grandfather?
5. What grocery store does Aunt Patty take Willa Jo and Little Sister to one day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Willa Jo associate Baby's death with the sunrise?
2. What was the nuclear family of Willa Jo and Little Sister prior to Baby's birth?
3. What message is Uncle Hob hoping the girls get from his story about staying with his grieving grandfather?
4. What are Aunt Patty's laments regarding people's lack of appreciation for her?
5. What type of painting did Noreen create which she hoped would help the girls understand Baby's death?
6. Describe what happened in the house on the morning that Baby died.
7. What does Miss Pettibone do when Willa Jo says she is going to the drugstore to call Aunt Patty?
8. How do Aunt Patty and Uncle Hob differ in their approaches to relating to the girls?
9. What insight does Uncle Hob offer as to why Noreen is coming to get the girls?
10. Even though Baby died at sunrise, what flicker of hope does a sunrise hold for the family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of pride. Identify at least two instances about pride in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Grief takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the family's grief? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
This section contains 1,295 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)