|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Noreen traveling to Aunt Patty's house?
2. How many children does the woman in #116 have?
3. Aunt Patty wants to hold Little Sister upside down or ________________ to make her talk.
4. Why do Willa Jo and Little Sister decide to sit on the bench outside the drugstore?
5. Aunt Patty introduces Little Sister as ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the nuclear family of Willa Jo and Little Sister prior to Baby's birth?
2. Why was the girls' father gone from home so much and what suggestion did Aunt Patty have for Noreen and the girls?
3. Why does Willa Jo associate Baby's death with the sunrise?
4. What message is Uncle Hob hoping the girls get from his story about staying with his grieving grandfather?
5. What insight does Uncle Hob offer as to why Noreen is coming to get the girls?
6. Explain the symbolism of Willa Jo's dream and why Willa Jo is so angry.
7. Why does Aunt Patty suggest taking the girls home with her for awhile and how does Willa Jo secretly feel about it?
8. What behavior was Noreen exhibiting that showed her depression and why was Willa Jo happy that Aunt Patty arrived?
9. How do Aunt Patty and Uncle Hob differ in their approaches to relating to the girls?
10. Why has Aunt Patty joined the others sitting on the roof?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the greatest lesson Willa Jo learns from Aunt Patty? Is it that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Willa Jo always recall about her experiences during her twelfth summer?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the lives of Willa Jo and Liz. How are their circumstances similar? In what ways are their lives different? What draws them together to make them friends? What could have threatened to kill a friendship even before it began?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Milly. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Milly's character in the novel?
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)