|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Uncle Hob gives the girls a mason jar filled with __________________.
2. What does Uncle Hob give to Little Sister?
3. Who scolded Noreen for letting herself go after Baby's death?
4. Which childhood friend of Aunt Patty's do Aunt Patty and the girls see at the grocery?
5. What is one of Aunt Patty's grievances at the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What message is Uncle Hob hoping the girls get from his story about staying with his grieving grandfather?
2. Explain the story Uncle Hob tells the girls about the summer he spent with his grandfather after his grandmother died.
3. What insight does Uncle Hob offer as to why Noreen is coming to get the girls?
4. How does the author end the story on a hopeful note?
5. What does Miss Pettibone do when Willa Jo says she is going to the drugstore to call Aunt Patty?
6. Why do Aunt Patty and Uncle Hob seem to enjoy sitting on the roof with the girls?
7. Why does Willa Jo associate Baby's death with the sunrise?
8. Why does Aunt Patty suggest taking the girls home with her for awhile and how does Willa Jo secretly feel about it?
9. What type of emotion does Aunt Patty show when she asks if Little Sister had drunk any of the water at the carnival?
10. What recurring dream does Willa Jo have and what does she do upon waking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of pride. Identify at least two instances about pride in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)