|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Little Sister show that she needed some comfort on the morning Baby was sick?
2. Why was Willa Jo secretly happy that Aunt Patty showed up?
3. Why do Willa Jo and Little Sister decide to sit on the bench outside the drugstore?
4. What does Willa Jo tell Uncle Hob that she and Little Sister would like to have returned to them?
5. Noreen has called and wants to _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aunt Patty suggest they do to get Little Sister to talk, and how does that send Willa Jo over the edge with her aunt?
2. Why was the girls' father gone from home so much and what suggestion did Aunt Patty have for Noreen and the girls?
3. Even though Baby died at sunrise, what flicker of hope does a sunrise hold for the family?
4. What type of painting did Noreen create which she hoped would help the girls understand Baby's death?
5. What message is Uncle Hob hoping the girls get from his story about staying with his grieving grandfather?
6. How do Aunt Patty and Uncle Hob differ in their approaches to relating to the girls?
7. Why has Aunt Patty joined the others sitting on the roof?
8. What behavior was Noreen exhibiting that showed her depression and why was Willa Jo happy that Aunt Patty arrived?
9. Why does Aunt Patty suggest taking the girls home with her for awhile and how does Willa Jo secretly feel about it?
10. What insight does Uncle Hob offer as to why Noreen is coming to get the girls?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Noreen. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Liz. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Liz's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Audrey Couloumbis is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,329 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)