|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willa Jo notice as she runs back home after seeking help the person in #133?
2. What does Willa Jo want more than anything?
3. Why did Uncle Hob stay with his grandfather that summer?
4. Aunt Patty says she is moving to _______________ where nobody will know her.
5. What does Uncle Hob bring with him out onto the roof?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Aunt Patty and Uncle Hob seem to enjoy sitting on the roof with the girls?
2. Explain the story Uncle Hob tells the girls about the summer he spent with his grandfather after his grandmother died.
3. Why has Aunt Patty joined the others sitting on the roof?
4. Describe what happened in the house on the morning that Baby died.
5. What type of emotion does Aunt Patty show when she asks if Little Sister had drunk any of the water at the carnival?
6. Explain the symbolism of Willa Jo's dream and why Willa Jo is so angry.
7. Why was the girls' father gone from home so much and what suggestion did Aunt Patty have for Noreen and the girls?
8. What does Miss Pettibone do when Willa Jo says she is going to the drugstore to call Aunt Patty?
9. What type of painting did Noreen create which she hoped would help the girls understand Baby's death?
10. What insight does Uncle Hob offer as to why Noreen is coming to get the girls?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the greatest lesson Willa Jo learns from Uncle Hob? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Willa Jo always recall about Uncle Hob and how he was able to reach out to her that summer?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Aunt Patty. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 1,403 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)