|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Noreen tell the girls she is sure about Baby?
2. Which of the following did Noreen NOT do all morning when Baby was sick?
3. Little Sister and Peter knock over a display of ___________________ in the grocery.
4. What grocery store does Aunt Patty take Willa Jo and Little Sister to one day?
5. What does Noreen decide made Baby so sick?
Short Essay Questions
1. Even though Baby died at sunrise, what flicker of hope does a sunrise hold for the family?
2. Explain the story Uncle Hob tells the girls about the summer he spent with his grandfather after his grandmother died.
3. What lessons has Aunt Patty learned by having the girls with her for awhile?
4. How does the author end the story on a hopeful note?
5. What was the nuclear family of Willa Jo and Little Sister prior to Baby's birth?
6. Why does Willa Jo associate Baby's death with the sunrise?
7. What behavior was Noreen exhibiting that showed her depression and why was Willa Jo happy that Aunt Patty arrived?
8. Why does Aunt Patty suggest taking the girls home with her for awhile and how does Willa Jo secretly feel about it?
9. What type of emotion does Aunt Patty show when she asks if Little Sister had drunk any of the water at the carnival?
10. What recurring dream does Willa Jo have and what does she do upon waking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Willa Jo. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Milly. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Milly's character in the novel?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)