|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cynthia's last name?
2. Mrs. Wainwright is president of which organization?
3. How long will the girls be staying with Aunt Patty?
4. Who is one of the Bible School teachers?
5. How do Liz and her brothers get the dirt out of the cave?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aunt Patty show her intense frustration about Willa Jo to Mrs. Biddle?
2. Why does the trip to the chocolate store turn unpleasant for Willa Jo?
3. What are some of the rules that Aunt Patty has in her house?
4. How does Cynthia's mother indicate that she knows her daughter is misbehaving while playing with the girls?
5. Why is Willa Jo especially sensitive about keeping Little Sister safe?
6. Who does Aunt Patty threaten to call if the girls won't come down from the roof and how does Willa Jo stonewall her?
7. Why does Willa Jo resent Uncle Hob's response to the girls' new clothes and why does Willa Jo think that Aunt Patty doesn't know much about children?
8. Why are Aunt Patty's pleas for the girls to come down off the roof futile?
9. Why is Willa Jo envious of the relationship Liz has with her mother?
10. How does Miss Pettibone show that she has a sarcastic nature?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Getting Near to Baby" is a classic example of a coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Willa Jo. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)