|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game do Liz, Willa Jo and Little Sister play when Liz comes to visit?
2. What is the name of Willa Jo's group at Bible School?
3. What is one of the first rules that the girls learn about Aunt Patty's house?
4. Liz tells Aunt Patty that it is nice of her to invite Cynthia over to play because ______________________.
5. How does Aunt Patty feel about having Willa Jo and Little Sister at her home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the rules that Aunt Patty has in her house?
2. Why is the shopping trip to get new clothes frustrating for Willa Jo and Little Sister?
3. What is Willa Jo doing at the beginning of the book which irritates and frustrates her Aunt Patty?
4. Why does Willa Jo resent Uncle Hob's response to the girls' new clothes and why does Willa Jo think that Aunt Patty doesn't know much about children?
5. Who is Miss Pettibone and why is she irritated with Little Sister?
6. Who does Aunt Patty threaten to call if the girls won't come down from the roof and how does Willa Jo stonewall her?
7. What is revealed about the time surrounding Baby's death which explains why Willa Jo and Little Sister want to sit on the roof at Aunt Patty's house?
8. Why is Willa Jo especially sensitive about keeping Little Sister safe?
9. What are Willa Jo and Little Sister doing that makes Aunt Patty so upset and especially frustrated with Willa Jo?
10. How does Aunt Patty feel when she hears the girls tell their mother that they want to come home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the American South during the 20th century. What precedents did these women feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? How were their lives significantly more difficult than the lives of 21st century women?
Essay Topic 2
What is the greatest lesson Willa Jo learns from Uncle Hob? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Willa Jo always recall about Uncle Hob and how he was able to reach out to her that summer?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of pride. Identify at least two instances about pride in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,280 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)