|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the woman in #3?
2. What does Aunt Patty tell Willa Jo about Liz?
3. Willa Jo and Little Sister are most worried about ___________________.
4. Who is one of the Bible School teachers?
5. What does Aunt Patty do when she finds Willa Jo, Little Sister and their mother napping in the afternoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miss Pettibone show that she has a sarcastic nature?
2. Why does Aunt Patty suggest taking the girls home with her for awhile and how does Willa Jo secretly feel about it?
3. What does Aunt Patty suggest they do to get Little Sister to talk, and how does that send Willa Jo over the edge with her aunt?
4. What recurring dream does Willa Jo have and what does she do upon waking?
5. Why does Willa Jo resent Uncle Hob's response to the girls' new clothes and why does Willa Jo think that Aunt Patty doesn't know much about children?
6. What are some of the rules that Aunt Patty has in her house?
7. Explain the symbolism of Willa Jo's dream and why Willa Jo is so angry.
8. What was the nuclear family of Willa Jo and Little Sister prior to Baby's birth?
9. How has Aunt Patty probably misjudged Liz Fingers?
10. Explain how Aunt Patty's control issues frustrate her regarding the girls.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Aunt Patty. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 2
Audrey Couloumbis is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
There are several events of foreshadowing in "Getting Near to Baby". Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,877 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)