|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cynthia curtly tells Willa Jo that Aunt Patty could send the girls to ___________________ when she gets tired of them.
2. Aunt Patty is very happy when the girls join in singing ______________________ at Bible School.
3. Which of the following best describes Aunt Patty?
4. Why doesn't Aunt Patty know much about children?
5. How old is the woman in #3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aunt Patty feel when she hears the girls tell their mother that they want to come home?
2. Describe how Cynthia Wainwright antagonizes the girls when she comes for a visit.
3. Why does Aunt Patty eventually offer to take Willa Jo and Little Sister for awhile?
4. How does Little Sister communicate since she has stopped talking, and what does Aunt Patty think about it?
5. What warnings does Aunt Patty give the girls about the family across the street?
6. How does Isaac befriend Little Sister?
7. Why are Aunt Patty's pleas for the girls to come down off the roof futile?
8. How does Aunt Patty show her intense frustration about Willa Jo to Mrs. Biddle?
9. What is revealed about the time surrounding Baby's death which explains why Willa Jo and Little Sister want to sit on the roof at Aunt Patty's house?
10. Why does the trip to the chocolate store turn unpleasant for Willa Jo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Willa Jo. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 2
Grief takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the family's grief? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the lives of Willa Jo and Liz. How are their circumstances similar? In what ways are their lives different? What draws them together to make them friends? What could have threatened to kill a friendship even before it began?
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)