|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Willa Jo's demeanor toward Aunt Patty?
2. What is the woman in #3 doing when Willa Jo sees her?
3. What treat does Isaac share with Little Sister in Chapter 11?
4. What does Isaac bring to Little Sister?
5. Aunt Patty asks her husband if the girls look like __________________ in their new clothes.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Isaac befriend Little Sister?
2. What warnings does Aunt Patty give the girls about the family across the street?
3. How has Aunt Patty probably misjudged Liz Fingers?
4. What is revealed about the time surrounding Baby's death which explains why Willa Jo and Little Sister want to sit on the roof at Aunt Patty's house?
5. Who does Aunt Patty threaten to call if the girls won't come down from the roof and how does Willa Jo stonewall her?
6. How does Cynthia's mother indicate that she knows her daughter is misbehaving while playing with the girls?
7. Who is Elizabeth Fingers and how do the girls meet her?
8. How does Aunt Patty surprise Noreen and the girls one day while they are napping?
9. What reasons does Aunt Patty have for wanting the girls to play with Cynthia Wainwright?
10. How does Willa Jo override Miss Pettibone's authority by removing Little Sister from the threat of ticks during lunchtime?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in "Getting Near to Baby". Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
What is the greatest lesson Willa Jo learns from Aunt Patty? Is it that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Willa Jo always recall about her experiences during her twelfth summer?
Essay Topic 3
Grief takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the family's grief? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)