|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Elizabeth asks Willa Jo and Little Sister if they are the girls who _______________________.
2. What is the excavation that Liz shows to Willa Jo and Little Sister?
3. What is the woman in #3 doing when Willa Jo sees her?
4. What is the name of the family staying in the vacation bungalows across from Aunt Patty's house?
5. What does Aunt Patty tell Willa Jo as the story begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Miss Pettibone and why is she irritated with Little Sister?
2. Who is Elizabeth Fingers and how do the girls meet her?
3. What type of emotion does Aunt Patty show when she asks if Little Sister had drunk any of the water at the carnival?
4. How does Cynthia's mother indicate that she knows her daughter is misbehaving while playing with the girls?
5. What are Aunt Patty's laments regarding people's lack of appreciation for her?
6. What was the nuclear family of Willa Jo and Little Sister prior to Baby's birth?
7. How does Aunt Patty begin to change her mind about the Fingers kids?
8. How does Willa Jo override Miss Pettibone's authority by removing Little Sister from the threat of ticks during lunchtime?
9. What are Willa Jo and Little Sister doing that makes Aunt Patty so upset and especially frustrated with Willa Jo?
10. What are some of the rules that Aunt Patty has in her house?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply "Getting Near to Baby". What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
Essay Topic 2
What is the greatest lesson Willa Jo learns from Uncle Hob? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Willa Jo always recall about Uncle Hob and how he was able to reach out to her that summer?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Willa Jo. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 1,787 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)