|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Little Sister's group at Bible School?
2. How many pets does Aunt Patty have?
3. Where do Liz's brother store and horde things?
4. What does Aunt Patty threaten to do if the girls won't come down off the roof?
5. Why doesn't Aunt Patty know much about children?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Willa Jo override Miss Pettibone's authority by removing Little Sister from the threat of ticks during lunchtime?
2. What reasons does Aunt Patty have for wanting the girls to play with Cynthia Wainwright?
3. Who does Aunt Patty threaten to call if the girls won't come down from the roof and how does Willa Jo stonewall her?
4. Explain how Aunt Patty's control issues frustrate her regarding the girls.
5. How does Aunt Patty surprise Noreen and the girls one day while they are napping?
6. Who is Cynthia Wainwright and how do the girls meet her?
7. Why is Willa Jo especially sensitive about keeping Little Sister safe?
8. How does Isaac befriend Little Sister?
9. Why is Willa Jo envious of the relationship Liz has with her mother?
10. Why does Willa Jo resent Uncle Hob's response to the girls' new clothes and why does Willa Jo think that Aunt Patty doesn't know much about children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the American South during the 20th century. What precedents did these women feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? How were their lives significantly more difficult than the lives of 21st century women?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Willa Jo. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of pride. Identify at least two instances about pride in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)