|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT describe Elizabeth?
2. How many pets does Aunt Patty have?
3. What does the woman in #3 tell Aunt Patty?
4. What does Aunt Patty threaten to do if the girls won't come down off the roof?
5. What does Willa Jo use too much of in the bathroom one day?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aunt Patty react when Little Sister brings all the newts into the kitchen?
2. Describe Aunt Patty's behavior when Little Sister rearranges the Hummel figurines in the glass case.
3. What are Willa Jo and Little Sister doing that makes Aunt Patty so upset and especially frustrated with Willa Jo?
4. Describe how Cynthia Wainwright antagonizes the girls when she comes for a visit.
5. Who does Aunt Patty threaten to call if the girls won't come down from the roof and how does Willa Jo stonewall her?
6. How does Aunt Patty show her intense frustration about Willa Jo to Mrs. Biddle?
7. Explain how Aunt Patty's control issues frustrate her regarding the girls.
8. How does Aunt Patty surprise Noreen and the girls one day while they are napping?
9. Who is Elizabeth Fingers and how do the girls meet her?
10. How does Liz respond to Aunt Patty who tries to make Liz feel bad by saying that her nieces associate with Cynthia Wainwright?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in "Getting Near to Baby". Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What is the greatest lesson Willa Jo learns from Uncle Hob? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Willa Jo always recall about Uncle Hob and how he was able to reach out to her that summer?
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)