|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Willa Jo, Little Sister and their mother do after Baby's death to seem less lonely?
2. How do Liz and her brothers get the dirt out of the cave?
3. What is the girls' mother's name?
4. What does Aunt Patty do when Willa Jo and Little Sister refuse to come down off the roof?
5. Which of Aunt Patty's neighbors has been nice to Willa and Little Sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Willa Jo and Little Sister staying with Aunt Patty, and how long will they be there?
2. How does Miss Pettibone show that she has a sarcastic nature?
3. How does Liz respond to Aunt Patty who tries to make Liz feel bad by saying that her nieces associate with Cynthia Wainwright?
4. How does Cynthia's mother indicate that she knows her daughter is misbehaving while playing with the girls?
5. Why are Aunt Patty's pleas for the girls to come down off the roof futile?
6. Why does Aunt Patty eventually offer to take Willa Jo and Little Sister for awhile?
7. How does Isaac befriend Little Sister?
8. What did Willa Jo and Little Sister's mother tell them about where Baby went?
9. How does Little Sister communicate since she has stopped talking, and what does Aunt Patty think about it?
10. How does Aunt Patty show her intense frustration about Willa Jo to Mrs. Biddle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 2
"Getting Near to Baby" is a classic example of a coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Audrey Couloumbis' use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where she did.
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)