|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willa Jo tell her mother which mortifies Aunt Patty?
2. Who is with Willa Jo when watching the sunrise?
3. What did the girls' mother try to get them to do every day?
4. What is the woman in #3 doing when Willa Jo sees her?
5. What is Willa Jo's reaction when Mrs. Biddle tells the girls that Aunt Patty is doing her best?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Willa Jo doing at the beginning of the book which irritates and frustrates her Aunt Patty?
2. How does Willa Jo override Miss Pettibone's authority by removing Little Sister from the threat of ticks during lunchtime?
3. Why does the trip to the chocolate store turn unpleasant for Willa Jo?
4. How does Aunt Patty begin to change her mind about the Fingers kids?
5. What are Willa Jo and Little Sister doing that makes Aunt Patty so upset and especially frustrated with Willa Jo?
6. What did Willa Jo and Little Sister's mother tell them about where Baby went?
7. Why is the shopping trip to get new clothes frustrating for Willa Jo and Little Sister?
8. Why does Aunt Patty eventually offer to take Willa Jo and Little Sister for awhile?
9. How does Aunt Patty surprise Noreen and the girls one day while they are napping?
10. What warnings does Aunt Patty give the girls about the family across the street?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in "Getting Near to Baby". Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What is the greatest lesson Willa Jo learns from Uncle Hob? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Willa Jo always recall about Uncle Hob and how he was able to reach out to her that summer?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)