|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game do Willa Jo, Little Sister and Cynthia play?
2. Aunt Patty tells Liz that Willa Jo and Little Sister have ____________________.
3. How can Cynthia best be described?
4. What did Uncle Hob learn a long time ago about Aunt Patty?
5. Why does Aunt Patty not want Willa Jo and Little Sister to play with the family across the street?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Willa Jo envious of the relationship Liz has with her mother?
2. Why do Aunt Patty and Uncle Hob seem to enjoy sitting on the roof with the girls?
3. Explain the symbolism of Willa Jo's dream and why Willa Jo is so angry.
4. Why does the trip to the chocolate store turn unpleasant for Willa Jo?
5. What reasons does Aunt Patty have for wanting the girls to play with Cynthia Wainwright?
6. How does Miss Pettibone show that she has a sarcastic nature?
7. How does Aunt Patty surprise Noreen and the girls one day while they are napping?
8. What are Aunt Patty's laments regarding people's lack of appreciation for her?
9. What did Willa Jo and Little Sister's mother tell them about where Baby went?
10. What insight does Uncle Hob offer as to why Noreen is coming to get the girls?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grief takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the family's grief? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Milly. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Milly's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is the greatest lesson Willa Jo learns from Uncle Hob? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Willa Jo always recall about Uncle Hob and how he was able to reach out to her that summer?
This section contains 1,761 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)