|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Elizabeth have?
2. What did Willa Jo, Little Sister and their mother do after Baby's death to seem less lonely?
3. What is the name of the family staying in the vacation bungalows across from Aunt Patty's house?
4. What do some of the girls get from playing in the grass at Bible School?
5. Who is with Willa Jo when watching the sunrise?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Isaac befriend Little Sister?
2. What are Willa Jo and Little Sister doing that makes Aunt Patty so upset and especially frustrated with Willa Jo?
3. Why is Willa Jo envious of the relationship Liz has with her mother?
4. Why does Aunt Patty eventually offer to take Willa Jo and Little Sister for awhile?
5. Describe how Cynthia Wainwright antagonizes the girls when she comes for a visit.
6. Describe Aunt Patty's behavior when Little Sister rearranges the Hummel figurines in the glass case.
7. Why does the trip to the chocolate store turn unpleasant for Willa Jo?
8. Who is Cynthia Wainwright and how do the girls meet her?
9. How does Willa Jo override Miss Pettibone's authority by removing Little Sister from the threat of ticks during lunchtime?
10. Who is Miss Pettibone and why is she irritated with Little Sister?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Milly. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Milly's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply "Getting Near to Baby". What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
Essay Topic 3
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)