|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Aunt Patty feel about having Willa Jo and Little Sister at her home?
2. What game do Willa Jo, Little Sister and Cynthia play?
3. Why does Aunt Patty not want Willa Jo and Little Sister to play with the family across the street?
4. Which of Aunt Patty's neighbors has been nice to Willa and Little Sister?
5. What does Isaac call Aunt Patty?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Willa Jo and Little Sister staying with Aunt Patty, and how long will they be there?
2. Why does Aunt Patty eventually offer to take Willa Jo and Little Sister for awhile?
3. What was life like for Willa Jo, Little Sister and their mother after Baby died?
4. How does Aunt Patty begin to change her mind about the Fingers kids?
5. How does Willa Jo override Miss Pettibone's authority by removing Little Sister from the threat of ticks during lunchtime?
6. Why is Willa Jo envious of the relationship Liz has with her mother?
7. How does Liz respond to Aunt Patty who tries to make Liz feel bad by saying that her nieces associate with Cynthia Wainwright?
8. How does Cynthia's mother indicate that she knows her daughter is misbehaving while playing with the girls?
9. What did Willa Jo and Little Sister's mother tell them about where Baby went?
10. Who does Aunt Patty threaten to call if the girls won't come down from the roof and how does Willa Jo stonewall her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Milly. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Milly's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
There are several events of foreshadowing in "Getting Near to Baby". Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply "Getting Near to Baby". What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)