|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Wainwright is president of which organization?
2. Which of the following does Aunt Patty NOT do at Noreen's house?
3. How does Aunt Patty feel when Little Sister uses sign language in front of other people?
4. What does Isaac give to Aunt Patty?
5. What job does Elizabeth have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Aunt Patty's behavior when Little Sister rearranges the Hummel figurines in the glass case.
2. How does Aunt Patty feel when she hears the girls tell their mother that they want to come home?
3. How does Miss Pettibone show that she has a sarcastic nature?
4. What are Willa Jo and Little Sister doing that makes Aunt Patty so upset and especially frustrated with Willa Jo?
5. How does Willa Jo override Miss Pettibone's authority by removing Little Sister from the threat of ticks during lunchtime?
6. What did Willa Jo and Little Sister's mother tell them about where Baby went?
7. What warnings does Aunt Patty give the girls about the family across the street?
8. Why is Willa Jo envious of the relationship Liz has with her mother?
9. Why is Willa Jo especially sensitive about keeping Little Sister safe?
10. How does Aunt Patty react when Little Sister brings all the newts into the kitchen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply "Getting Near to Baby". What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
Essay Topic 2
Audrey Couloumbis is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Grief takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the family's grief? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)