|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Cynthia's hair styled?
2. Liz tells Aunt Patty that it is nice of her to invite Cynthia over to play because ______________________.
3. How can Cynthia best be described?
4. Aunt Patty asks her husband if the girls look like __________________ in their new clothes.
5. Why is Willa Jo so moody and emotional at Aunt Patty's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Elizabeth Fingers and how do the girls meet her?
2. Describe how Cynthia Wainwright antagonizes the girls when she comes for a visit.
3. How does Aunt Patty react when Little Sister brings all the newts into the kitchen?
4. How does Isaac befriend Little Sister?
5. How does Aunt Patty surprise Noreen and the girls one day while they are napping?
6. How does Little Sister communicate since she has stopped talking, and what does Aunt Patty think about it?
7. How does Aunt Patty feel when she hears the girls tell their mother that they want to come home?
8. What warnings does Aunt Patty give the girls about the family across the street?
9. How does Willa Jo override Miss Pettibone's authority by removing Little Sister from the threat of ticks during lunchtime?
10. Why is the shopping trip to get new clothes frustrating for Willa Jo and Little Sister?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply "Getting Near to Baby". What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
Essay Topic 2
What is the greatest lesson Willa Jo learns from Aunt Patty? Is it that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Willa Jo always recall about her experiences during her twelfth summer?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Willa Jo. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)