|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Aunt Patty do when she couldn't find Willa Jo and Little Sister?
2. Which of the following does Aunt Patty NOT do at Noreen's house?
3. Why is Willa Jo so moody and emotional at Aunt Patty's house?
4. What does Willa Jo tell her mother which mortifies Aunt Patty?
5. What does Aunt Patty threaten to do if the girls won't come down off the roof?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Cynthia Wainwright and how do the girls meet her?
2. What are Willa Jo and Little Sister doing that makes Aunt Patty so upset and especially frustrated with Willa Jo?
3. Who is Miss Pettibone and why is she irritated with Little Sister?
4. How does Cynthia's mother indicate that she knows her daughter is misbehaving while playing with the girls?
5. What is Willa Jo doing at the beginning of the book which irritates and frustrates her Aunt Patty?
6. What was life like for Willa Jo, Little Sister and their mother after Baby died?
7. Why does Aunt Patty eventually offer to take Willa Jo and Little Sister for awhile?
8. Who is Elizabeth Fingers and how do the girls meet her?
9. Explain how Aunt Patty's control issues frustrate her regarding the girls.
10. What reasons does Aunt Patty have for wanting the girls to play with Cynthia Wainwright?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Aunt Patty. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Uncle Hob. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply "Getting Near to Baby". What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
This section contains 1,297 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)