|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Little Sister bring into the kitchen one day?
2. Which of the following does NOT describe Miss Pettibone?
3. Aunt Patty tells Mrs. Biddle that Willa Jo is ____________________________.
4. How old is Elizabeth?
5. How many pets does Aunt Patty have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was life like for Willa Jo, Little Sister and their mother after Baby died?
2. What is Willa Jo doing at the beginning of the book which irritates and frustrates her Aunt Patty?
3. Describe how Cynthia Wainwright antagonizes the girls when she comes for a visit.
4. Why is Willa Jo envious of the relationship Liz has with her mother?
5. What warnings does Aunt Patty give the girls about the family across the street?
6. How has Aunt Patty probably misjudged Liz Fingers?
7. How does Cynthia's mother indicate that she knows her daughter is misbehaving while playing with the girls?
8. Who is Cynthia Wainwright and how do the girls meet her?
9. Why does the trip to the chocolate store turn unpleasant for Willa Jo?
10. Explain how Aunt Patty's control issues frustrate her regarding the girls.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grief takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the family's grief? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
What is the greatest lesson Willa Jo learns from Aunt Patty? Is it that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Willa Jo always recall about her experiences during her twelfth summer?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Willa Jo. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 1,238 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)