|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aunt Patty do when more of the Finger children come over to play?
2. Why is Willa Jo so moody and emotional at Aunt Patty's house?
3. What treat does Isaac share with Little Sister in Chapter 11?
4. Which of the following best describes Aunt Patty?
5. What does Aunt Patty keep in a glass case?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Willa Jo and Little Sister doing that makes Aunt Patty so upset and especially frustrated with Willa Jo?
2. Who is Cynthia Wainwright and how do the girls meet her?
3. How does Willa Jo override Miss Pettibone's authority by removing Little Sister from the threat of ticks during lunchtime?
4. What act does Aunt Patty put on when Mrs. Teasley sees the girls on the roof?
5. What reasons does Aunt Patty have for wanting the girls to play with Cynthia Wainwright?
6. Describe Aunt Patty's behavior when Little Sister rearranges the Hummel figurines in the glass case.
7. How does Aunt Patty feel when she hears the girls tell their mother that they want to come home?
8. How does Aunt Patty begin to change her mind about the Fingers kids?
9. Explain how Aunt Patty's control issues frustrate her regarding the girls.
10. Why are Aunt Patty's pleas for the girls to come down off the roof futile?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply "Getting Near to Baby". What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Aunt Patty. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)