Chapters 1 and 2
• Twelve-year-old Willa Jo and her younger sister, Little Sister, are sitting on the roof of her Uncle Hob and Aunt Patty's house in Raleigh, North Carolina, in order to see the sunrise.
• Aunt Patty is scared that the girls will fall but they refuse to come down from the roof.
• Little Sister listens only to Willa Jo and has not talked since their baby sister, Baby, died.
• Aunt Patty is embarrassed that Little Sister has invented a sort of sign language to communicate, and pushes her hands down so that no one will notice.
• Willa Jo and Little Sister have been at Aunt Patty's house for three weeks, and she is at the end of her patience with them.
Chapters 3 and 4
• The first thing that Aunt Patty did when the girls arrived at her house was to take them shopping for new clothes.
This section contains 2,560 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)