|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. God hears his prayer and sends what?
2. That night, as the rain falls, Godfrey is visited by whom?
3. Why did the queen fear for Clorinda's life?
4. Under cover of night, Clorinda and Argantes make their way across the battlefield and into the Crusaders' camp, where they throw what _________.
5. Peter, the wise hermit and seer, reveals what about the remnants of Renaldo's body and armor found earlier?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Hermit and Boat Woman put an interesting twist on this examination of Christianity.
Part 1) Describe these two characters and their roles in this story.
Part 2) How do they put an interesting twist on this examination? How does this contrast other aspects of the poem?
Part 3) Why do these characters exist in the story? What purpose do they serve? What do these characters reveal about the poet and readers of his day?
Essay Topic 2
The poem tells a quest story.
Part 1) What is a quest story? How does this tell a quest story?
Part 2) What is unique about this quest story? What is the purpose of this?
Part 3) Name two other quest stories. What is the purpose of these quest stories? Compare them to this story.
Essay Topic 3
Tancred and Clorinda fall instantly in love.
Part 1) What other mythical characters might they represent? How?
Part 2) How does their mutual attracting affect them? How does it affect others?
Part 3) What is interesting and slightly odd about the love triangle between Tancred, Clorinda, and Erminia?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)