|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Godfrey believe it would be unwise to do?
2. Why does the poet compare Sophronia's actions to those of Christ?
3. Is Armida able to have any effect on Godfrey or Tancred?
4. What does Eustace suggest?
5. Advisers from both sides urge them to call a truce, and they reluctantly agree to meet again how many days later?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place during the battle between Raymond and Argantes?
2. How does Godfrey respond to Armida's request?
3. Why is Soliman suggested to have a heart of metal or stone?
4. What do the spirits tell Tancred?
5. Who is Valfrine?
6. What does Aladine say when Argantes calls him cowardly?
7. What is Argantes doing back in Jerusalem?
8. Why is the Muslim ruler unable to kill the Christians?
9. What happens when Tancred searches for Erminia?
10. What happens when Tancred and Clorinda see each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A thematic statement is made, that living in and fighting for the Christian cause must proceed with no regard for the jeers of others.
Part 1) How is this shown in the story? For whom is this message? Why?
Part 2) How is this relevant today?
Part 3) How is this statement thematic? How is this idea reiterated in other parts of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Similarities are made between Satan and Muslims.
Part 1) Describe these similarities. Why are these similarities made?
Part 2) What does this reveal about the Christian culture at this time?
Part 3) How is this relevant in our own time?
Essay Topic 3
There are multiple parallels in events and characterizations.
Part 1) Describe two of these parallels. How do they reinforce the idea of good versus evil?
Part 2) What is the purpose of these parallels?
Part 3) How do these parallels reflect a universal human condition?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)