|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Soon after fleeing the Crusaders' camp, what happens to Erminia?
2. Advisers from both sides urge them to call a truce, and they reluctantly agree to meet again how many days later?
3. What does Eustace suggest?
4. What story does Armida tell?
5. From where does Aladine watch this first battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ismen do for Soliman?
2. How does Argantes feel about Soliman? How does this affect his behavior?
3. What happens after the storm passes?
4. What do the spirits tell Tancred?
5. What takes place after the service?
6. What is this story about?
7. What does Renaldo attempt to do to Argantes? Why?
8. What does Godfrey do when the Crusaders prepare to go into battle?
9. What happens when Tancred searches for Erminia?
10. What vow does Clorinda make? What is Aladine's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a contrast of opposing forces.
Part 1) What are the opposing forces? How are they symbolized?
Part 2) How are these symbols created? What do they reveal about the author's religious views?
Part 3) How is this contrast a form of propaganda? How might it influence others? How is propaganda still used today to influence people about various cultures and religions?
Essay Topic 2
The key purpose of Books 19 and 20 is to bring to a climactic close several of the poem's key elements.
Part 1) What are the poem's key elements that come to a close in this chapter? How do they come to a close?
Part 2) With what questions does this poem leave the reader? Why? What is the purpose of this?
Part 3) Are the questions a reader would have today about this poem be the same questions one would have had when the poem was written? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Women in this poem start as enemies.
Part 1) How and why do they start as enemies? What is the ideal woman like? How do you know this?
Part 2) How does this emphasize the unusual qualities of the warrior woman?
Part 3) How do the religious beliefs of the people of this day support this belief about women?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)