|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does the poet compare Aladine's actions?
2. What happens as the battle rages around Tancred and Clorinda?
3. Why are the Crusaders unable to sleep?
4. Who impetuously rides out to challenge Argantes?
5. Who does Satan gather?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Tancred searches for Erminia?
2. What does Godfrey do, regarding the battle? How does Renaldo respond?
3. Who first confesses to stealing the statue? Why?
4. To what do Tancred and Argantes agree? What is the outcome of this?
5. What is Valfrine doing at this time?
6. What is Argantes doing back in Jerusalem?
7. What takes place during the battle?
8. What do the spirits tell Tancred?
9. What does the Muslim leader end up doing?
10. What plan does Clorinda formulate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tancred and Clorinda fall instantly in love.
Part 1) What other mythical characters might they represent? How?
Part 2) How does their mutual attracting affect them? How does it affect others?
Part 3) What is interesting and slightly odd about the love triangle between Tancred, Clorinda, and Erminia?
Essay Topic 2
The ways Erminia and Tancred are welcomed in Book 7 are contrasting.
Part 1) How are they welcomed? How are these welcomes contrasting?
Part 2) What is the purpose for this contrast?
Part 3) What does this contrast reveal about the characters in this story?
Essay Topic 3
There is a contrast of opposing forces.
Part 1) What are the opposing forces? How are they symbolized?
Part 2) How are these symbols created? What do they reveal about the author's religious views?
Part 3) How is this contrast a form of propaganda? How might it influence others? How is propaganda still used today to influence people about various cultures and religions?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)