|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eustace suggest?
2. What prevents the Muslim ruler from doing what he would like to do?
3. What must be done before any decision is made about who will accompany Armida?
4. Of what does this Muslim ruler hear?
5. Who rides at the head of an army of reinforcements?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Erminia becomes lost and spends a night in the woods?
2. What happens when Armida arrives at the camp?
3. What happens as water and supplies become scarce?
4. Why is Soliman suggested to have a heart of metal or stone?
5. What takes place after the service?
6. What is Argantes doing back in Jerusalem?
7. How does this book begin?
8. What happens when the Crusaders attempt to build a new siege tower?
9. What happens when Tancred searches for Erminia?
10. What does Ismen do in the forest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The poem tells a quest story.
Part 1) What is a quest story? How does this tell a quest story?
Part 2) What is unique about this quest story? What is the purpose of this?
Part 3) Name two other quest stories. What is the purpose of these quest stories? Compare them to this story.
Essay Topic 2
The Hermit and Boat Woman put an interesting twist on this examination of Christianity.
Part 1) Describe these two characters and their roles in this story.
Part 2) How do they put an interesting twist on this examination? How does this contrast other aspects of the poem?
Part 3) Why do these characters exist in the story? What purpose do they serve? What do these characters reveal about the poet and readers of his day?
Essay Topic 3
A theme relates to woman as a distraction.
Part 1) How are women distractions in this poem?
Part 2) How is this thematic?
Part 3) What does this reveal about the mindset of people at the time the poem is written and the time in which the story takes place?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)