|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the advice of a sorcerer, what does Aladine do?
(a) He kills many Christians.
(b) He curses the Crusaders.
(c) He hides in a mosque.
(d) He steals a large, ornate statue of the Virgin Mary.
2. As Tancred searches in vain for Erminia, who does he encounter?
(a) The angel Michael.
(d) A patrolling knight.
3. Erminia, who has watched the battle from high in her tower, worries about whom?
4. Why does Aladine furiously raid all the Christian homes in Jerusalem?
(a) In search of Christians.
(b) In search of Jesus.
(c) In search of his wife.
(d) In search of the statue.
5. A pair of messengers from whom arrives at the camp of Godfrey and the Crusaders?
(a) The Tsar of Russia.
(b) The Sultan of Arabia.
(c) The Queen of Egypt.
(d) The King of Egypt.
6. Who impetuously rides out to challenge Argantes?
7. Why does Argantes plot to gain some glory for himself?
(a) He is jealous of Soliman's power and influence.
(b) He wants to glorify God.
(c) He feels insecure in his own power.
(d) He wants to replace Godfrey with himself.
8. Who does Satan gather?
(a) The angels.
(b) A few of his minions.
(c) His wits.
(d) All the devils and monsters and demons of Hell.
9. Where do the Crusaders march?
(a) Into the Promise Land.
(b) Over the desert.
(c) On Jerusalem.
(d) Through the mountains.
10. What is Armida doing with her dark magic?
(a) Making the Crusaders ill.
(b) Distracting the Muslims from their duties.
(c) Killing Crusaders.
(d) Still distracting more and more lords from their duty.
11. By whom is Tancred challenged?
(a) One of the knights who betrayed the Crusaders' cause.
(b) One of Armida's knights.
(c) A Muslim.
12. To what do both Aladine and Godfrey agree regarding Argantes?
(a) Combat between Argantes and a Christian warrior.
(b) Argantes will surrender to Godfrey.
(c) Agantes' exile.
(d) He should be executed.
13. Why does the poet compare Sophronia's actions to those of Christ?
(a) She always tells the truth.
(b) Her claim is a lie.
(c) She was born of the Virgin Mary.
(d) She loves others more than herself.
14. What does Gabriel tell this holy man?
(a) The time has come for Jerusalem to fight for itself.
(b) The time has come for him to kill all who are not followers of Christ.
(c) The time has come for him to gather the Christian lords of Europe and free Jerusalem.
(d) It is time to accept others and to not judge those he does not understand.
15. As the other lords become angry, what does Godfrey do?
(a) He too becomes angry.
(b) He angrily sends the messengers away.
(c) He thanks and agrees with the messengers.
(d) He thanks the messengers for their concern.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Tancred guilty and embarrassed?
2. What had this Biblical character done that was so similar to Aladine's actions?
3. Who leads their first attack?
4. What arrives unexpectedly at the Christian camp?
5. Who is the Muslim ruler of Jerusalem?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)